Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Open - 2018

Two days away now - looking forward to it.

Any long-shot fancies?

Padraig at 175/1...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAMDnm3qWjc

Comments

• Tyrrelll Hatton 33/1, Molinari 28/1 as outsiders. Justin Rose Tommy Fleetwood as short price winners for me as it stands so far.

• No long shots but gone

Koepka
    Garcia
    Fleetwood
    Hatton
    Rahm
    Grace

All each way for the first ten places
  • Molinari in great form at the moment - good shout.
  • Absolutely no idea. Wide open. Course won’t suit the long hitters although the heat has killed the rough.
  • Hatton, Thomas and Knox are the 3 I’ve gone with.
  • I like Molinari as well. Think Ian Poulterer may go well at 66-1 and for a big outsider Russell Henley at 150-1
  • Meant Poulter of course.
  • I have bet Fowler, Rahm, Rose and Noren all ew
  • I have bet Fowler, Rahm, Rose and Noren all ew

I think you 'll collect
  • edited July 2018
    Fleetwood
    Rahm
    Fowler
    All each way
    Longish shot Tyrell Hatton ( 33/1) done well last weekend and won the dunhill links twice - so does okay on links Courses
    Poulter 50/1 nothing more than I always back him.

All above bets 10 places skybet
  • Sponsored links:

• Just reading over other comments looks like we all have similar views, can’t wait to watch it unfold
  • Two days away now - looking forward to it.

Any long-shot fancies?

Padraig at 175/1...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAMDnm3qWjc

Murray not playing. Not bothered.
  • Can we change the title of this discussion to The Open Betting Thread please.
  • Riviera said:

Can we change the title of this discussion to The Open Betting Thread please.

Most threads on tournaments like this usually start with people speaking about odds/who you think may win in the build up and then about the actual tournament when it starts, from what I recall.

Could be wrong though, just thought it was a way to start some discussion about it in the days prior.
  • Can understand the point though, I wouldn't want @AFKABartram's children clicking on this thread innocently, only to find themselves logging in to BETDAQ to have a flutter... :-)
  • Can understand the point though, I wouldn't want @AFKABartram's children clicking on this thread innocently, only to find themselves logging in to BETDAQ to have a flutter... :-)

Quiet agree, they would do better with Betfair
  • edited July 2018
    is there a thread on here that doesn’t descend into posters telling other posters what they should/shouldn’t be saying - starting to get a little tedious!

Betting is part of most sports event now - our football club is sponsored by one!, to minimise threads I don’t see the issue with it all being on one - if you back players surely you believe them to win?.

Quite agree, they would do better with Betfair
  • Riviera said:

Echo that.........I'm sure there's supposed be an actual golf tournament taking place in amongst gamblers anonymous.
    The Open Championship, often referred to as The Open or the British Open, is the oldest of the four major championships in professional golf. It was first played in 1860 at Prestwick Golf Club in Scotland. The Open has always been held in the United Kingdom and is the only major played outside the United States. It is administered by The R&A. The Open is currently the third major of the year, between the U.S. Open and the PGA Championship, and is played in mid-July.

The current champion is Jordan Spieth, who won the 146th Open at Royal Birkdale in 2017 with a score of 268.

How's that?

P.S. Rose at 16/1 for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Justin Rose has to be in with a good chance. Not sure how much of a test Carnoustie will be unless the wind blows.
  • Riviera said:

Echo that.........I'm sure there's supposed be an actual golf tournament taking place in amongst gamblers anonymous.
    It's a championship, not a tournament!

It sounds like a low scoring week unfortunately, there's barely any wind forecast. A podcast I just listened to (No Laying Up) said it could get 'stupidly low'.

I like Fleetwood for it, he didn't play the Scottish Open last week but you can bet he was practicing on his local links. Leishman has the pedigree & should be used to playing baked Aussie courses as well.
  • Justin Rose has to be in with a good chance. Not sure how much of a test Carnoustie will be unless the wind blows.

It is generally considered to be the toughest of Open venues - but yes, the wind has to blow a bit to make it a stern test.
  • Riviera said:

Here he is, old happy nuts.

Most threads for events start off with predictions, so thats why odds are mentioned. When the golf starts, it'll be all about the action.
  • bobmunro said:

Justin Rose has to be in with a good chance. Not sure how much of a test Carnoustie will be unless the wind blows.

It is generally considered to be the toughest of Open venues - but yes, the wind has to blow a bit to make it a stern test.
    I've played a lot of the Open courses and think it's reputation is a little exaggerated - I'd say it was somewhere in the middle in terms of how tough it is. Muirfield for me is a much tougher test.

High scores at Carnoustie in the 99 Open were as a result of the thick rough which made the course difficult to play in the wind - it wasn't a great course setup. The 2007 and 1975 Opens for me were a truer indicator of the course's difficulty.

• is there a thread on here that doesn’t descend into posters telling other posters what they should/shouldn’t be saying - starting to get a little tedious!

Betting is part of most sports event now - our football club is sponsored by one!, to minimise threads I don’t see the issue with it all being on one - if you back players surely you believe them to win?.

Don't think so.

He was on 5Live this morning. He said the fairways are like glass tables and with the run he said a 7 iron, which he normally hits 178 yards will carry 222. Greens will be so hard you won't be able to land on them in the normal way. Links golf at its best and a real test of skill. Such a shame Tom Watson isn't there, a true master of British links golf.
  • Riviera said:

Justin Rose has to be in with a good chance. Not sure how much of a test Carnoustie will be unless the wind blows.

He was on 5Live this morning. He said the fairways are like glass tables and with the run he said a 7 iron, which he normally hits 178 yards will carry 222. Greens will be so hard you won't be able to land on them in the normal way. Links golf at its best and a real test of skill. Such a shame Tom Watson isn't there, a true master of British links golf.
    Will be very different from the target golf players are used to.
  • Will have a flutter, 10 places in a golf event should be easy pickings. Lately have been going for Tony Finau, but i feel this is going to be a putters course. Speith good chance as ever but depends how short he is, haven't looked yet.
  • Riviera said:

Links golf at its best and a real test of skill. Such a shame Tom Watson isn't there, a true master of British links golf.

The senior Open is at St Andrew's next week and that'll be similarly dried out. Have a punt on him.