Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bowyer Talks - Weekly press conference updates

Comments

• edited July 2018

Get behind him.

That should be directed at the owner
  • Doesn't matter what he says in press conferences as he has himself said.

He knows what counts as he has said it.

" Just win games"
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

I feel as though I’m constantly slagging Bowyer off - which is a shame because I like him - however with each interview I think he comes across as more and more out of his depth.

I have no idea what you are talking about here.
    I think Bowyer comes across well.
    Don't forget as we're cutting costs.
    Bowyer may have been told he can't have another coach, even if he wanted one.
    It's never occured to me for one second that he's out of his depth.
    In fact he seems far more in his depth than Robinson & Slade.
    Faint praise, Robinson and Slade were as close to their depth as the Titanic.
    But why do you feel Bowyer is getting more and more out of his depth ?
    Seriously, I haven't a clue why anyone would say that.
    Because he has stated previously that he only needs a handful of additions to the squad and, now, that he doesn’t need any more coaching resource. Based on my knowledge of this division and what I saw at the end of last season I think he is wrong on both counts. In reality we are 12 days away from kick off with an under strength squad and a vastly inexperienced coaching team - both should have been supplemented this summer.

Maybe he’s just putting a brave face on it because realistically he won’t get another job at this level at the moment, but I think it comes across as dangerously naive.
    But, surely, it’s the old problem. He can’t say the squad is no good and journalists are good at getting him to say “we’re a couple of players away” from this and that. He’ll have a tough job as things stand, but he’ll do his best which is all you can ask
  • shirty5 said:

Get behind him.

Agree, but he isn't going to is he.

Bowyer is the best fit for Charlton since Powell. Everyone just needs to get behind him, regardless of who owns the club.
  • shirty5 said:

Get behind him.

Agree, but he isn't going to is he.

Bowyer is the best fit for Charlton since Powell. Everyone just needs to get behind him, regardless of who owns the club.
    Then i can see him walking and going back to his fishing lake in France. He's not short of a few quid, so why put up with this nonsense

" Just win games"

STBO ;-)
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

I feel as though I’m constantly slagging Bowyer off - which is a shame because I like him - however with each interview I think he comes across as more and more out of his depth.

I have no idea what you are talking about here.
    I think Bowyer comes across well.
    Don't forget as we're cutting costs.
    Bowyer may have been told he can't have another coach, even if he wanted one.
    It's never occured to me for one second that he's out of his depth.
    In fact he seems far more in his depth than Robinson & Slade.
    Faint praise, Robinson and Slade were as close to their depth as the Titanic.
    But why do you feel Bowyer is getting more and more out of his depth ?
    Seriously, I haven't a clue why anyone would say that.
    Because he has stated previously that he only needs a handful of additions to the squad and, now, that he doesn’t need any more coaching resource. Based on my knowledge of this division and what I saw at the end of last season I think he is wrong on both counts. In reality we are 12 days away from kick off with an under strength squad and a vastly inexperienced coaching team - both should have been supplemented this summer.

Maybe he’s just putting a brave face on it because realistically he won’t get another job at this level at the moment, but I think it comes across as dangerously naive.
    But, surely, it’s the old problem. He can’t say the squad is no good and journalists are good at getting him to say “we’re a couple of players away” from this and that. He’ll have a tough job as things stand, but he’ll do his best which is all you can ask
    Quite, that’s why I said
    se9addick said:

I've put it down to him knowing he can't have x, y, z and so why say anything that can potentially affect the mindset of the lads he already has in the building?

Exactly. What's he supposed to say ?

I think we need another 5/6 players to compete at the top, but the owner won't permit it.
    Nor will the owner allow me another coach.
    I think we'll do well to end up half way at this rate and hope we don't end up in a relegation battle, bearing in mind I've lost about 8 players and only 2 have come in.

If he said that presumably you would think he's a good manager well within his depth ? :smile:
    Don’t you think there’s some middle ground that a manager with a bit more nous might be able to find in answer to the question?

I’m going to drop it now because I think it looks like I’m unnecessarily digging Bowyer out, which really isn’t my intention so I guess I’m not articulating myself well.
  • Sponsored links:

• What I don't get, why would there be a need to say we don't need another coach? I wouldn't imagine it was even a consideration of Bowyer's, limited wage budget, yet the need for more players would be the priority.

Unless Roland has offered him a coach from the network.

" Just win games"

Which he did last season.
  • Bowyer is able to strip things back to the fundamentals, a good approach don't complicate for complication sake. He has said a lot of football is 'off the cuff'.
    Away at Wimbledon, and in a couple of other matches under him last season his lack of experience was exposed.
    I think he believes in keeping it simple, and having better players than the other lot. All well and good, but he will meet teams with better players, managers who can adapt and tweak enough to get results, and have to cope with his good players being unavailable.
    If we meet a hard challenge against a better team, a shrug and an 'it is what it is' won't cut it. He needs to develop the skills to get his players and team to overcome against the odds, not be content that we have found our level.
  • What I don't get, why would there be a need to say we don't need another coach? I wouldn't imagine it was even a consideration of Bowyer's, limited wage budget, yet the need for more players would be the priority.

He responded to a journalist's question.

His answer was that another coach wasn't needed.
  • edited July 2018
    Crusty54 said:

What I don't get, why would there be a need to say we don't need another coach? I wouldn't imagine it was even a consideration of Bowyer's, limited wage budget, yet the need for more players would be the priority.

Agree. A lot of us forget that in interview, journalists ask the question - and the reply is in context of that question.
    Often, we don't know the original question. And the subsequent article doesn't always make that clear.

The trouble with social media is that everything is immediately analysed to the nth degree - and before you know it, posters are coming to their own personal conclusions and proclaiming them as fact.

• DOUCHER said:

I like his directness and honesty .

So do I. He doesn't panic either.
  • Crusty54 said:

What I don't get, why would there be a need to say we don't need another coach? I wouldn't imagine it was even a consideration of Bowyer's, limited wage budget, yet the need for more players would be the priority.

I didn't realise that, many thanks for pointing out.
  • seth plum said:

Bowyer is able to strip things back to the fundamentals, a good approach don't complicate for complication sake. He has said a lot of football is 'off the cuff'.
    Away at Wimbledon, and in a couple of other matches under him last season his lack of experience was exposed.
    I think he believes in keeping it simple, and having better players than the other lot. All well and good, but he will meet teams with better players, managers who can adapt and tweak enough to get results, and have to cope with his good players being unavailable.
    If we meet a hard challenge against a better team, a shrug and an 'it is what it is' won't cut it. He needs to develop the skills to get his players and team to overcome against the odds, not be content that we have found our level.

He's already shown he'll adapt more than Robinson ever did. It was harder to last season taking over with 10 league games to go and a squad purely built for Robinson's system.

If we bring in Ince we've got the option of playing him alongside Pratley, giving us a more physical central midfield. He couldn't do things like that last season with the squad we had.
  • edited July 2018
    The positive for him is that expectations are not high, but the negative is the reason they are not high. No blame attached to him at all.

We can talk about how good a team we might have if everybody is fit, but that won't happen. been there, seen that, bought the T-Shirt!
  • At the moment we are a basket case of a football club and considering this Bowyer is doing a great job of trying to reunite us all and at the moment he's the right man for the job, so people should get off his back.
  • Sponsored links:

• clive said:
    Sounds like a dig at the physio and medical team, something that some have felt was not quite right for a few years.
  • Good man bowyer - sort em out - amount of injuries we get is ridiculous
  • so Dijksteel not back in training then
  • Sounds similar to the illness suffered by Andy Hunt.

Christ I really hope thats not the case... Be a sad and early end to his promising career
  • I'm sure that the young man's symptoms are common to many illnesses, most of them quite innocuous, and that he will be back in the best of health very soon.
  • edited July 2018
    He is a fine prospect. It is good to have players that can play in various positions.

Christ I really hope thats not the case... Be a sad and early end to his promising career
    I had pneumonia about 5/6 years ago. Now I'm only a semi professional athlete, but it took me a long while to get back to normal. When back at work, for months my chest would completely dry up when in meeting rooms with air con, and I'm not sure my lung capacity ever got back fully to how it was before.

Hope that is not the case with Dijksteel, but will depend entirely in the seriousness and spread of the infection in the lung.