Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Car hit pedestrians outside parliament

Comments

• Been following this on my (delayed) train in. I work in view of parliament square so anticipate a heavy police presence when I do arrive.
  • Got to work - huge police operation. My office was outside the original cordon but the cordon has since been expanded and we are now inside. Not allowed to go anywhere. Security have shut down the building. Cashing traffic chaos everywhere with coaches and lorries having to turn around in a very narrow street.

Glad it seems like no serious injuries.
  • Got to work - huge police operation. My office was outside the original cordon but the cordon has since been expanded and we are now inside. Not allowed to go anywhere. Security have shut down the building. Cashing traffic chaos everywhere with coaches and lorries having to turn around in a very narrow street.

Glad it seems like no serious injuries.

Stay safe, Canters.
  • I've followed this this morning, I wonder if it was more of a freak accident than another attack. Only because they led him away in handcuffs rather than shot him there and then.

Wait and see. Stay safe all.
  • I've followed this this morning, I wonder if it was more of a freak accident than another attack. Only because they led him away in handcuffs rather than shot him there and then.

The first time I was driven into the Houses of Parliament, I was told to keep my hands visible as the guys who let you in have loaded machine guns and do have "licence" to open fire if required. They check under the car (for bombs) and then raise the barrier etc. This guy, whether deliberate or not, was pretty lucky they did not shoot....

By the looks of the damage to the vehicle one has to say it was traveling at considerably more than 30mph......so at least that action by the driver was deliberate......which leads one to assume there was intent to do something or another.

By the looks of the damage to the vehicle one has to say it was traveling at considerably more than 30mph......so at least that action by the driver was deliberate......which leads one to assume there was intent to do something or another.
    Yes, it looks like it was deliberately slammed into the barrier. I wondered if the car accidentally locked on full throttle so he ditched it into the barrier.

It just seems odd that it was dealt with as an accident opposed to how they've dealt with previous incidents like this (re not shooting him).

Let's just hope it is not another attack. Every time there is one, it will give another nutter the idea to give it a go.
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:

Pretty sure its not terrorism (according to someone in the news industry), although it normally takes time for the truth to come out unless it's an obvious attack.

Don't like the 'stay safe' thing, as it engenders a feeling of fear, which is the aim of terrorism. If Facebook do a 'Mark yourself safe' thing I'lll do my nut.

I see what you mean re 'stay safe'. I tend to say it more generically, as you would by saying 'be lucky'.

In this situation though, I think it's not meant to generate fear, just to keep your wits about yourself when getting around London.
  • Thoughts with all those that are injured
  • Had a look on twitter, but had to try to filter through a load of crap. Glad they got the guy out, and the ambulance servoce said they only treated a couple of people for minor injuries. Time will tell what happened.
  • JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Pretty sure its not terrorism (according to someone in the news industry), although it normally takes time for the truth to come out unless it's an obvious attack.

Don't like the 'stay safe' thing, as it engenders a feeling of fear, which is the aim of terrorism. If Facebook do a 'Mark yourself safe' thing I'lll do my nut.

I see what you mean re 'stay safe'. I tend to say it more generically, as you would by saying 'be lucky'.

In this situation though, I think it's not meant to generate fear, just to keep your wits about yourself when getting around London.
    If you mean when crossing the road I agree. The USA is full of rednescks who think we live in a war zone. I'm not having it.
    Without turning this into the 'Trumpy says Trumpy does' thread - I'm not surprised they believe live in a war zone.

If the leader of the nation is actually inciting fear, unfortunately people who are just closed off to the rest of the world, easily enough in the USA, then they're gonna follow suit.
  • JamesSeed said:

It's so mawkish and unnecessary.

Hopefully just a horrible accident
  • It will have to be some coincidence to have ended up with someone slamming in to cyclists/pedestrians/barriers right outside parliament.

Even more of a coincidence when you see a pic of the driver!!
  • Taxi_Lad said:

It will have to be some coincidence to have ended up with someone slamming in to cyclists/pedestrians/barriers right outside parliament.

Even more of a coincidence when you see a pic of the driver!!
    Seen the pic, read the eye witness reports but still keeping an open mind so as not to set off any micro aggressions.
  • Would the police try not to shoot the bloke so as to get info out of him if it is a terrorist attack?
  • Sponsored links:

• I don’t like the “stay safe” thing either but keeping your wits about you is not just for when crossing the road. I really don’t believe that anyone who uses the tube in London hasn’t at some point given even the slightest thought to terrorism.
  • Lets not beat about the fucking bush here eh?
  • JamesSeed said:

Worst case scenario, it's a lone wolf effort by an angry religious extremist. It won't make me change anything about the way I behave in London, the way I look at Muslims or Islam, or the routes I take when I cycle around London. It's just another sick dickhead to me.
    It wasn't all that long ago that thousands were being killed in London during the blitz by the Nazi's bombs, and then later by their V1 and V2 rockets, so one bloke in a car isn't going to affect me one bit.

The trouble with rolling news and social media is that it encourages hysterical overreaction. Presumably Trump will wade in and tell us we need more guns.
    Exactly. Sky will fill their boots and will be disappointed if it's not terrorist related.
  • You've got to admit though, it is looking like a terrorist 'attack'.
  • Police now treating this as a terrorist incident.
    Sky news.