Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Views: Charlton Athletic 4 - Scunthorpe United 0

124

Comments

  • Strange game...first half was tedious and could have been down at HT with some wayward finishing from them, second half wasnt much better until Aribo scored a great header. A 10 minute spell and it was curtains for Scunny. 
  • The quality in top half of table is nowhere near this season. 
    If our side now was in last years league they'd have pissed it. 
    Disagree, Blackburn & Wigan last season are better than we are this season.
    We would still have been in the play offs.

    You can't ignore our poor start this season and poor 3/4 games when Grant left and Vetokele wasn't fit.
    You have to judge Charlton on the whole season, not just when we are at our best.


    And don't forget, we had poor defeats when Grant was here; Rochdale away 0-1, Coventry (h) 1-2, Coventry (a) 1-2, Scunthorpe 3-5 spring to mind. Also, Taylor's daft four match suspension came at a crucial time.

    All said and done though, the team  have done well and it's been pretty good viewing.


  • I'm not too worried about Scunthorpe having a few good chances yesterday. Charlton played an open attacking game and committed a lot of bodies forward, so you would expect a few breaks. Dijksteel popped up in the box for his goal and once or twice more, which he never does. Sarr is key to the way we play and is encouraged to take risks in order to get us moving.

    Enjoyed our passing game and Taylor's goal was superb.


  • Sarr marked low by some OK he did make two errors on the ball, which is always going to happen if we play the ball out from the back.  One, a team-mate covered for him and the other, no Scunny player near him so he neatly off-set it by turning it into a little shuffle.  On the plus side you have a handful of raking passes, only one astray; the left wing dribble into the box and pass, and the sumblime flicked pass, together with a catalogue of shimmies and dummies.  Worth the entrance money alone.
  • Just got back home, another enjoyable day. As I posted briefly on the match thread, the first half was well just a bit boring, yes AD took his goal well, but apart from that not much happened. Scunny had a couple of chances and on another day could well have taken them and, if so, we may have been up against it. However second half was completely different, we dominated scored 3 great goals and Taylor's first touch when the ball came out of the sky was sublime!! I hope they show it on the highlights!! Even though we were well on top Scunny missed a couple of sitters in the 2nd half as well, but to win 4-0 when playing ok'ish was a good way to go into the last 2 games of the regular season.
    My day was made before the match started when I bumped into the legend that is Keith Peacock, there was no-one else around just us two. I just said kind of awkwardly "Hello Mr Peacock", which is what I had to call him all those years ago, even though he was only about 6 years older than me at the time!! 
    He and I first met back in '67/68 when he taught tennis and Crown Woods during the close season, he taught me and a certain Richie Bowman.  We all know what Richie went on to do, as for me, well that's a different story. However Keith, as he told me to call him, stood and chatted for about 5 minutes before he had to go, he very kindly shook my hand and said I looked well, he also said he read Charlton Life and my match threads, that meant so much to me. He is a genuine geezer and this confirmed what Dick Tydeman also said and also what a gent Keith was when I worked with him in the 1980's. Thanks Keith and thanks Lee, I hope to see you all again next season as I am unable to make any more games this year.
    Good to see you on here Redmidland are you still traveling the globe?
    Yes @Indianaaddick still travelling, my health seems to be holding up as well. I'm thankful for this site when I'm away, I cant make any more games this season, not even the play-off finals when we get there, so will be following on here and (when I can get it) @KillersBeard on Valley Pass. I miss doing the match threads and hope to come back some day and do them again, although after my somewhat pathetic attempts while at the game today, I think @Ross1 and others have taken on the baton with a new 'vigour'. It was good to see 'Keith' again and I'm so pleased he had a little time to spend with me, made not just my day but my year.



    Thank you for the complement Redmidland, but I always preferred your more detailed commentary and look forward to the day you start doing them again
  • Sponsored links:


  • ross1 said:
    A great watch, but what on earth happened to our magnificent hexagonal goal nets?
  • I like Morgan reaction. He just stands on edge of the box unmoved as everyone rushes off to congratulate Lyle.
  • edited April 23
    ross1 said:
    A great watch, but what on earth happened to our magnificent hexagonal goal nets?
    Roland refused to pay for the irregular non-standard gaps in the mesh. We have gone for standard goal nets from  www.cheapaschips.sports-shit.com
  • ross1 said:
    A great watch, but what on earth happened to our magnificent hexagonal goal nets?
    Sold to Southampton for an undisclosed fee
  • Sarr marked low by some OK he did make two errors on the ball, which is always going to happen if we play the ball out from the back.  One, a team-mate covered for him and the other, no Scunny player near him so he neatly off-set it by turning it into a little shuffle.  On the plus side you have a handful of raking passes, only one astray; the left wing dribble into the box and pass, and the sumblime flicked pass, together with a catalogue of shimmies and dummies.  Worth the entrance money alone.
    True but he’s been overmarked by some too. He made a few mistakes and was turned twice by one of their forwards.  Luckily he’s more sublime than ridiculous these days  
  • wmcf123 said:
    Sarr marked low by some OK he did make two errors on the ball, which is always going to happen if we play the ball out from the back.  One, a team-mate covered for him and the other, no Scunny player near him so he neatly off-set it by turning it into a little shuffle.  On the plus side you have a handful of raking passes, only one astray; the left wing dribble into the box and pass, and the sumblime flicked pass, together with a catalogue of shimmies and dummies.  Worth the entrance money alone.
    True but he’s been overmarked by some too. He made a few mistakes and was turned twice by one of their forwards.  Luckily he’s more sublime than ridiculous these days  
    I didn't mark Sarr low, I just marked others either as they played better or had more of an impact on the goals. Dijksteel, Reeves, Aribo, Igor and Lyle especially.
  • Something I hadn't thought about until this afternoon.  Were we playing in second and third gear because no one wanted to pick up an injury?  It would be pretty daft getting crocked when, apart from not actually wanting to lose, the actual results of the last three games aren't too important.
  • Yes. The last twenty minutes was essentially an exercise in injury avoidance. Boring but probably a good shout
  • edited April 24
    Did Sarr get turned twice? Cannot remember. If so, what was the end product? Without seeing the action, any defender can be turned once. Turned twice means that a teammate isn't backing you up. We're not talking Barcelona and Messi here.
  • Sponsored links:


  • Being at the game, I've only just caught up with the match thread.  Thanks to all who contributed.  There's some real comedy gold there.
  • I’ve not been a great fan of Taylor. I went off him when the antics started a couple of months back. Whilst I always knew he was a good player, I felt the way he played would cost us. Of course, it did when he got sent off. All that said, I have been trying to weigh up his performance against Scunthorpe. To me, he looked like he was from a different universe. He freewheeled through the entire game like Messi did against Manchester United a couple of weeks ago. I turned to my son when he stood over the free kick and said “He scores this”. I didn’t think there was much doubt that he would . He looked over the 90 minutes like a premiership striker playing in league one. I also thought Aribo second half looked a different class. Two wonderful talents who without doubt will be sold off by this Belgian tosser for a lot less than market value. 
    ‘Some have posted that Scunthorpe had some chances. They did. However, anyone watching that game would know that Charlton were in second gear, they toyed with Scunthorpe like a cat with a mouse. Could have won 7 or 8 had they needed to. 
    I hope it’s Sunderland at Wembley. They have never beaten us in a playoff final. 
  • Everybody gets things wrong in football but Sarr is a very important part of the team. Not for his defending, although he is now a solid defender, but for his distribution. It is noticeable that other defenders look to him to start our attacks and when he is not playing midfielders come deeper to get the ball. There is an added bonus that his height gives defences an additional problem on set pieces whether he gets a header in or not and conversely helps us defensively and I would say he provides the left footed option for free kicks.

    If people think he is being overmarked, they may be simply not appreciating that overall value which is evident in games if you look for it.
    If we get to Wembley I’d definitely take a chance with Sarr for what he could add rather than worry about him having a mistake in him.

    Every centre back that brings the ball out and can pick a pass will give it away sometimes.

    A centre back that doesn’t take those risks won’t be marked down for it, but they’ll likely give away possession more often by clearing it out for throw ins and up the pitch.
  • Scoham said:
    Everybody gets things wrong in football but Sarr is a very important part of the team. Not for his defending, although he is now a solid defender, but for his distribution. It is noticeable that other defenders look to him to start our attacks and when he is not playing midfielders come deeper to get the ball. There is an added bonus that his height gives defences an additional problem on set pieces whether he gets a header in or not and conversely helps us defensively and I would say he provides the left footed option for free kicks.

    If people think he is being overmarked, they may be simply not appreciating that overall value which is evident in games if you look for it.
    If we get to Wembley I’d definitely take a chance with Sarr for what he could add rather than worry about him having a mistake in him.

    Every centre back that brings the ball out and can pick a pass will give it away sometimes.

    A centre back that doesn’t take those risks won’t be marked down for it, but they’ll likely give away possession more often by clearing it out for throw ins and up the pitch.

    It isn't a chance - Pearce and Bauer make mistakes. No more than Sarr does. We are just more effective with him in the side. 
    I agree, I didn’t mean it to come across like that. He’s shown he should be out first choice alongside Bauer.
  • edited April 24
    masicat said:
    I’ve not been a great fan of Taylor. I went off him when the antics started a couple of months back. Whilst I always knew he was a good player, I felt the way he played would cost us. Of course, it did when he got sent off. All that said, I have been trying to weigh up his performance against Scunthorpe. To me, he looked like he was from a different universe. He freewheeled through the entire game like Messi did against Manchester United a couple of weeks ago. I turned to my son when he stood over the free kick and said “He scores this”. I didn’t think there was much doubt that he would . He looked over the 90 minutes like a premiership striker playing in league one. I also thought Aribo second half looked a different class. Two wonderful talents who without doubt will be sold off by this Belgian tosser for a lot less than market value. 
    ‘Some have posted that Scunthorpe had some chances. They did. However, anyone watching that game would know that Charlton were in second gear, they toyed with Scunthorpe like a cat with a mouse. Could have won 7 or 8 had they needed to. 
    I hope it’s Sunderland at Wembley. They have never beaten us in a playoff final. 
    We've never beaten them either it was penalties!   ;0)

    Anyway, don't care who it is, I have a feeling in the bones that the boy Bowyer is a genius and will get this lot roaring against anyone.
  • The importance of Sarr is he helps us negate the high press. Teams have definitely gotten some joy against us when they've been able to stop us passing out from the back by pressing high up the pitch and with energy. Sure, there is always the potential of a mistake, but Sarr is able to receive the ball, when marked, and step away from the closing down forward and then his raking crossfield passes can get us clear of the press. Picking him over Pearce doesn't significantly weaken us defensively, but it significantly improves us in attack.

    Bowyer has clearly been keen to keep Pearce involved out of respect for his leadership and battling qualities, and rightly so because you have to respect Pearce's character and strengths, but unless there is a sudden and serious change in Naby's form (or an injury), I'd be very surprised if Pearce starts any of the play-off games ahead of Sarr.
  • Bauer is our number 1 defender. Easily good enough for the Championship. Would probably hack it in the prem.

    Going to be a great signing for someone next year.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Roland Out!