Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Women’s World Cup

Comments

• Options
    But yeah, it's been good fun, hasn't it? I had a release on Thursday but have had games on in the background while doing testing. Australia vs. Brazil was brilliant in that neither team can defend for shit. I said at the start of the tournament that Australia at 20-1 looked worth a punt. I....stick by that, ish. The better the sides they come up against and the more open the matches, the better they'll be. They're an incredibly athletic team. 

Haven't seen England from yesterday yet but thought they looked tidy enough against Scotland. I remain somewhat unconvinced by Neville, I don't think he's gotten as much out of that group of players as Sampson did. And it's those fine margins that could make the difference.

USA looked alright, but as many commented, hard to tell given the opposition. That said, credit to Alex Morgan (I think, and Pinoe may have said this as well) who came out straight after the game and talked about the difference in backing between the different women's national sides. FIFA could help to remedy this. They don't. We probably won't learn too much about them against Chile, but the Sweden match could be interesting. Sweden knocked the US out of the Olympics and they have traditionally been a bogey side for the US. Game is likely to be a dead rubber/only decides who wins the group, but suspect the US will still take it very seriously given the history. 

France just continue on. It wasn't pretty against a decent Norway side, but they found a way to grind out a result. Unsurprisingly, they look like winners.

I'm trying to think who else, Germany has ground out two results. It's quite nice watching the German team, and not to fall into the tired trope of comparing women's footy to mens',  because they have that feeling of a German men's team from like 15-20 years ago. Ruthlessly efficient if not always pretty. 

You could see any one of a handful of teams winning here, which makes it a good tournament for me. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    But yeah, it's been good fun, hasn't it? I had a release on Thursday but have had games on in the background while doing testing. Australia vs. Brazil was brilliant in that neither team can defend for shit. I said at the start of the tournament that Australia at 20-1 looked worth a punt. I....stick by that, ish. The better the sides they come up against and the more open the matches, the better they'll be. They're an incredibly athletic team. 

Haven't seen England from yesterday yet but thought they looked tidy enough against Scotland. I remain somewhat unconvinced by Neville, I don't think he's gotten as much out of that group of players as Sampson did. And it's those fine margins that could make the difference.

USA looked alright, but as many commented, hard to tell given the opposition. That said, credit to Alex Morgan (I think, and Pinoe may have said this as well) who came out straight after the game and talked about the difference in backing between the different women's national sides. FIFA could help to remedy this. They don't. We probably won't learn too much about them against Chile, but the Sweden match could be interesting. Sweden knocked the US out of the Olympics and they have traditionally been a bogey side for the US. Game is likely to be a dead rubber/only decides who wins the group, but suspect the US will still take it very seriously given the history. 

France just continue on. It wasn't pretty against a decent Norway side, but they found a way to grind out a result. Unsurprisingly, they look like winners.

I'm trying to think who else, Germany has ground out two results. It's quite nice watching the German team, and not to fall into the tired trope of comparing women's footy to mens',  because they have that feeling of a German men's team from like 15-20 years ago. Ruthlessly efficient if not always pretty. 

You could see any one of a handful of teams winning here, which makes it a good tournament for me. 
    I think being able to defend is an important requirement if you are going to win this cup. I can't see any way Australia have a hope in hell of doing so. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Have really enjoyed the football so far. Finding the constant need to compare to the mens game a bit tedious.
    It needed doing at first ( to the this is dross comments)but now we can focus on another football tournament where amateurs can take on Professionals in the early rounds till the last 16 where it will become even more interesting.

Italy have hit the ground running and may be a dark horse this year.
  • Options
    I would make USA the favourites, then a group of potential winners consisting of Germany, England and France. My main doubt with France is I think they are not so strong defensively as the other two but they are at home. If you are going to beat the USA you will need to be strong defensively.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I would make USA the favourites, then a group of potential winners consisting of Germany, England and France. My main doubt with France is I think they are not so strong defensively as the other two but they are at home. If you are going to beat the USA you will need to be strong defensively.

And to pick up what you said about Australia and Brazil, the big questions about the US is the backline and keeper as well (though I have some questions about the consistency of midfield, Rose Lavelle aside). Sauebrunn, on her day, is one of the best defenders in the world. But she's had a lot of injury problems over the last few years, and I question her ability to play 5-6 matches. After her, the CBs get weaker. Dahlkemper is a great distributor of the ball, but her club side play a sit deep and counter attack at pace style, very different to how the US play, and she can sometimes get caught out with her reading of the game. Emily Sonnett (she has tended to be shunted out to RB) plays for the team I support and she can be absolutely brilliant but she has a mistake in her. Tierna Davidson probably has the biggest upside of the group, but is still very young, and only just turned professional in March. Then there is Ali Krieger, a solid football, experienced, and World Cup and Olympic Gold Medal winner. But she was out of favor for three and a half years before a surprise recall.

The first choice fullbacks, O'Hara is better going forward than defending but largely solid, and Dunn is more of a winger/attacker, a good 1-v-1 defender, but can get caught out tactically. 

If they both win their groups, France and the US would meet in the quarterfinal in Paris. Woof.
  • Options
    Fantastic support for the Dutch in this match.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Fantastic support for the Dutch in this match.
    Just turned it on - looks like they have basically sold the stadium out? 
  • Options
    Wouldn't rule out the Dutch. They're European champions and their attacking players all play for some of Europe's top clubs.
  • Options
    Dreadful defending from Cameroon there
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cameroon have given Netherlands a game so far. Shame about the pitiful defending of that free kick that led to Netherlands' second goal.

I remember us failing to defend  a similar free kick against Sheffield United at The Valley the season they got promoted.
  • Options
    Me and my big mouth!

3-1 to the Netherlands!
  • Options
    Miedema's goalscoring record is incredible and she's still only 22.
  • Options
    60 goals (and now Holland's all time record scorer) in 76 internationals.

Also got 29 in 25 games for Arsenal this season.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Recorded Dutch game, and Just  finished watching.

That was a bruising encounter in which the Cameroon players left their mark, not only in tackling but some powerful running and dribbling. Lenient yellow card on the louis Spence high leg which has to be a red.

I had the Netherlands in my top 4 instead of Germany because of Vivianne Miedema, as has been mentioned is a goal scoring machine. She can be out the game for an age but when Van de Sanden finally put in a decent cross from the right she powered into the Six yard box and scored
    Her second goal was so clever as the keeper could hardly see the shot leave her foot.

The Tournament needs the French and Dutch to go far because the atmosphere is better when the hosts and near Neighbours are involved. Yet another enjoyable game.

• Options
    I think it is fair to add Holland to the group of three I identified as having a chance behind the USA.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I think it is fair to add Holland to the group of three I identified as having a chance behind the USA.
    Holland and England are similar standard, but at present USA and France are the two favourites and not only with the bookies.
    If they meet in the quarters, that will be a mighty clash of heavyweights. 
    Because we have 24 teams and the 4 best from 3rd place goes through to the last 16 there is no "group of death" but both Scotland and New Zealand ( unexpected friendly win against England ) must feel they are in the G.O.D.
  • Options
    If Scotland beat Argentina they still have a decent chance of qualifying. To beat them, they will have to play to their strengths (and their weaknesses) which is something their manager has failed to do until they were behind in the opening games.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Having followed Kim Little's career since she got her first cap for Scotland and played for Arsenal the first time around to see her constantly pass back and sideways like Butch Wilkins in his pomp was so disappointing to watch considering her goal scoring record and assists. She is not a defensive midfielder so why was she played in that position ? Hope Solo may have a grating voice but not only was she a top keeper but she speaks her mind. ( I disagreed with HS on not changing the keeper. It was right to play Telford who is really good with her feet in a match she could've played rush goalie !)
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I think one of the things that I enjoy watching women's football is the tactics. They are much more accessible. As somebody who coaches (well coached now I suppose) youth football and who studies the game, the difference tactics can make can be more evident and have more effect. You can definitely identify where teams have good coaches and where teams have poor ones. 

Hope Solo won't be right on everything, but she clearly knows what she is talking about. I would imagine Neville played Telford because he had no worries about her and he thought it was a game that he could give her experience that might be helpful if she is needed later on. Not really tactics, just a manager's call.

But the Sottish manager was criticised by her for her tactics and she didn't say anything I wasn't shouting at the tv screen. Isn't it refreshing to have a pundit calling it what it is without fear of needing to be nice? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This sidewards passing and backwards passing has been a feature with the poorer teams. It is understandable when you see some of the weaker teams are unable to string more than two passes together under pressure. But Scotland are not in that category and having watched Japan v Argentina I think the worst thing you could do is give them too much respect. 

I don't mean that as an insult against Japan, but they are a team I think you can impose yourselves on if you are Scotland.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    On decent weather days I miss being a coach and manager of a boys team but not on freezing cold wet days when on home matches you have to put the nets up or on away days getting players to the venue because of the few who's parents don't care or are single parent's 
    Plus getting the dreaded phone call to say a player is sick and you have to go back to the drawing board to plan B.
    Winning a final which 32 teams entered is magic when your the outsider in all 5 rounds and your own son scores the winning goal in the semi final and final. Happy moment in the cup where I could use my tactics and not in the League games where the playing out from the back was encouraged at all the managers meetings (24 teams from 6 to 18)
    Yes I was a maverick manager but 10 years later that the only Medals that group have ever won from football ( including my lad who couldn't takes his goal scoring talents and pace to adult football)

@MuttleyCAFC, I believe your lad was a keeper but my boy had to be the best striker or else you would hear the Chinese whispers about nepotism !

• Options
    edited June 2019
    My son was MOTM in the final but I couldn't give it to him despite him saving three penalties. And they were proper decent saves too. He understands why. It is great to finish youth football winning a trophy with your final kick.

Things I won't miss are times like a month or so ago when a seagull had got caught in the net and a fox had had a real go at him. What a mess and this headless bird had to be extracated like some sort of puzzle by yours truely as the lads warmed up.

Also finding out on the morning of your match that half your team had been out on the piss the night before which happened too many times this season.

Also the frustration of losing my co-manager and mate on the touchline through a complete injustice.

We were promoted three divisions to the first division from the fourth. Not over three seasons but in one! We lost our first two games 6-1 and lost my co-manager when he got a ridiculous ban. I am very satisfied how we turned that round to finish third and won the cup final we got into against the odds. With the cup final win, it meant we had beaten every team in our league. 

We adopted an unorthadox approach so I could be termed a maverick too. But it was merely based around how we can improve to the level required which I always tried to find an answer for and hope it was there. Don't tell the wife, but I don't think it would take much for me to go back into it.  
  • Options
    It took USA 20 minutes to go 2-1 up against Thailand.

Its only taken Sweden 19
  • Options
    I think Sweden will score 5 or 6.
    But the USA were only 3-0 up at HT !
  • Options
    They may be a weaker team than Thailand out the 24 teams ?

No there isn't.

A good result now will be 6-0
    They did put an 8 player passing move and one off target shot at goal ! 
  • Options
    I think Sweden will score 5 or 6.
    But the USA were only 3-0 up at HT !

Great to see Thailand get a goal and the coach cry with delight.
    5-1
  • Options
    VAR should be used for things like that.

Its supposed to stop error that cost teams, well USA have just scored from a corner that wasnt a corner
  • Options
    VAR should be used for things like that.

Its supposed to stop error that cost teams, well USA have just scored from a corner that wasnt a corner
    Yeah find it strange how Callum Wilson's goal will be ruled out when its not the same phase of play yet a goal can be scored from a corner when VAR could potentially contest if the decision to give a corner was the right decision - i.e. Netherlands had a free kick against us in normal time in the Nations League when their player threw themselves to the floor, looked no foul to me yet VAR couldnt have checked that either had a goal been a result of the Free-Kick
  • Options
    USA look pretty good - plenty of decent players and physically very strong.