Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barnsley v Charlton | Sat 17 Aug 2019 | 3pm KO | POST-MATCH VIEWS

Comments

• Options
    If we carry on as we are now, it wouldn't surprise me if both Bowyer and Taylor were offered new contracts within a couple of month. No guarantee they will accept them, but both are essential to our success and  that will become apparent, even to a football fool like Roland. Nobody, not even him, can be that stupid.
  • Options
    I dont think Taylor will be here after Jan. 

Although he is still performing, I think he doesn't want to be here sadly. 
    You may well be right on the first point about the Jan window but on your second it's unfair to state that and I will explain why.

Johnnie Jackson and Chris Solly's ambition was to play for Arsenal, JBG wanted to play for Man United since being a fan back in Iceland. Professional players will go where the offer is good or where they are wanted,
    some have choices, same don't.

Lyle Taylor is a Greenwich boy and Loves Charlton BUT the owner is not prepared to pay him the going rate for a championship striker. Brentford were prepared to offer him a much better deal, so Lyle at 29 with only say 3 or 4 years left to cash in on his skills wants one really top contract; and who wouldn't when Injury could show up at anytime and you are history.

The irony for me is if Duchatelet offered Taylor the contract that JBG received when he signed his last contract after Cafc doubled his money then Lyle would sign in an instant unless there was interest from a premier team.

Lyle Taylor gives 100% every game. He always will while wearing Cafc shirt. 
    Our whole team would rather be playing for Man city ! 
    The only way out for RD without losing money or face is if Charlton get promoted to the PL and that is not an unrealistic scenario. If we are in the mix come end of November and it’s because Lyle is scoring for fun then I suspect finding the money to make the January transfer window dilemma go away will not be a problem and if you were one of the players in this team and had a realistic chance of going up you would be daft not to hang around until at least the end of the season. Money is important but it’s probably easier to come by than success in most players’ careers.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Much as he has become a fans favourite, he looks destined for a club who will pay him more. Simple economics, nothing to do with success or size of the buying club. I will have no bitterness towards him when he goes. As for the game I felt we were slow to get going and at 30 minutes I said to others around me, this game needs a spark to get it going and that happened, albeit with a Barnsley goal. We worked hard immediately and were rewarded. At half time we could have been ahead but even was fair. The second half had barely started before going behind to a goal that showed our defensive weakness and their quality in front of goal. A short time later they were so close to getting a third with a very similar mazy run and shot that would have been top left corner had it crept the other side of the post. The penalty came at a time when we trying to have a last hurrah and I never for one minute thought the ref would give it, such was his 'homer' attitude for most of the game. Lyle seemed to take an eternity to step up and the defenders standing on the edge of the box were clearly interfering with any run up preparations. Clearly Lyle doesn't need a run up and he put it away as though he was on a walk to the corner shop to get his Sunday morning paper, to read about how cool and calm he looked. The last few minutes as the clock ticked past 5pm were a scramble for a winner from both teams and in truth it could have seen a decider if anyone had taken control, instead it was more of a midfield battle, with free-kicks and yellow cards a plenty. Overall walking away from Oakwell happy if not ecstatic, similar to Bowyer. For a ground that was quite full in the home end, there is very little atmosphere created. Odd for a team that have battled for 17 months without seeing defeat. Forest will undoubtedly be a tougher test. Bowyer is showing us and the footballing world what a clever manager he is, so far, but the season has a long way to go and changes at the club both on and off the pitch will prove how successful this season can be. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Watched on a stream.
    Random thoughts are the pen would be a routine foul outside the box, the ref gave a lot of those, so it was a pen due to consistency.
    Barnsley competed better than Blackburn or Stoke and we competed right back. No more soft southern pussies under Bowyer.
    The ref getting clattered was fun  needs a dentist.
    Pratley was great,  Taylor led the line well  Osei stepped up well.
    Saw Forest on Quest and think it will be a tough challenge.

• Options
    I think they are the sort of challenges we thrive on. Bring them on.
  • Options
    I think he was disapointed on missing out on a life changing pay rise, as anybody would be, especially at 30 and never having been at this level before. But things can change between now and January. We can have no complaints about the professional way he has reacted on the pitch.
    Exactly - a takeover (yeah right!) or change of budget from RD would change everything. 
  • Options
    A view from the other side, which gives a technical account, formations etc, and some interesting  comments below too;
    http://barnsleyfc.org.uk/threads/minority-report-2019-20-v-charlton-athletic.282568/
    Interesting that he thought Leko was one of our better players. I thought yesterday wasn’t really his day
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2019
    A view from the other side, which gives a technical account, formations etc, and some interesting  comments below too;
    http://barnsleyfc.org.uk/threads/minority-report-2019-20-v-charlton-athletic.282568/
    His comments about the ref are right. Could’ve been a really good, fast paced game, but the ref seemed to hate any physical contact. 

Another set set of fans praising Williams is hardly a surprise, but the fitness issues he cites could be a bit of a myth. Really fancy him to play a full season.
  • Options

Depends how many points we have, probably be worth letting him walk at the end of the season with us staying up... than flog for 1 mil and maybe go down. 
  • Options

Good point at a tough place to go. Battling performance from the boys again! @lyletaylor90 conorgallagher92 @k_andrewsphotos https://www.instagram.com/p/B1RlGo_BZOr/?igshid=1l9khl1hms2s6 …

• Options

Tough place to come but a great point on the board. We continue to build and improve. Amazing support from you travelling fans all the way through !! We go again Wednesday #CAFC

• Options

Dillon Phillips Retweeted Charlton Athletic FC

Great point away from home today! @CAFCofficial

• Options
    I only saw the highlights, but the penalty was a stone bonker. Nothing soft about it.
  • Options
    Good post @Exiled_Addick.

Having a pre season at Cafc including some warm weather training in Spain have helped Jonny Williams show that he is so much fitter than last season when he was playing catch up after a terrible few years with niggling Injuries and loans away from his parent club.

Once Oztumer is considered ready, then he can replace JW if he needs a time out.
    Magic to see Jonny form and how many minutes he's playing now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Highlights here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXXqGsEJna4

Shocking defending for the first Barnsley goal: Pearce and Lockyer (?) each presented the ball to the opposition in the danger area.  Their second was nicely worked.

Conor Gallagher is a revelation: lithe and athletic, determined to get involved with every move.  The thinking man's Lapslie.

A good result, by a whisker.  Taylor's penalties are ingenious, mesmerising!
  • Options
    Not much to add to the comments thus far and was only able to watch apprx 70% of the action with the Valley Pass coverage freezing at the most inappropriate times .....including Conor's goal and their 2nd after half time ! 

So, a couple of thoughts. 

Totally echo the praise of Darren P - he's been immense for us in all 3 games thus far, bless his heart. Takes no prisoners but trust him to always be there when needed. 

Thought Bow's substitutions were spot on & made at the right time - something that some previous managers have faced criticism about. The gaffer clearly thinks on his feet & reacts positively when things need changing time after time.

Due to Solly's injury ( another incident we missed here !) and later, tiring legs on the pitch, Bow was able to view more of the squad in what was a testing contest that went to the wire....and will have learned more about their ability to enter the field of play when called upon at short notice. I thought young Bonne looked particularly useful which augers well for the future. 

Finally, the Man in the Middle. When he took a knock & the physio took a close look in his mouth, I was fervently hoping that he might have swallowed his whistle. The Barnsley players, so physical when we were in possession, were oh so lightweight when challenged whilst the ref continued to indulge their "fraility"....Wonder what our management made of it. 

A very good point gained at Fortress Oakwell - what's not to like ? Well done to the lads and to the faithful that made the trip. But I will never enjoy watching us play from the comfort of my settee.....

......something our neighbours heartily agree with ! Sorry, guys ! 
    Re the ref, 13 yellows in his first two games so yesterday’s over fussy officiating came as no surprise.
  • Options
    The Bansley accent is annoying
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Phillips: 7
    Solly: 6
    Lockyer: 6.5
    Pearce: 7
    Purrington: 5
    Pratley: 8.5
    Cullen: 5.5
    Gallagher: 8
    Williams: 8.5 MOM
    Leko: 6.5
    Taylor: 7 stop sulking
    Osilaja: 6
    Referee: 6

Aneke: n/a 7 game changed when he dame on
    Bonne: n/a 6
    Taylor sulking wtf. Was you there yesterday ?
    Whoosh.
    No.Comments.. On. The. Player. Marks. Thread.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    ... their tricky little winger Chaplin waltzed past at least five of our defenders 
    Clip of Chaplin practising this skill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmkh36xACp0
  • Options
    Good result BUT without getting too carried away it’s barnsley and from the small highlights I have seen our defence looks shaky Lockyer being the weak link, can see leko missing a bagful of chances this season. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Good result BUT without getting too carried away it’s barnsley and from the small highlights I have seen our defence looks shaky Lockyer being the weak link, can see leko missing a bagful of chances this season. 
    If Bowyer can sharpen him up it'll be no problem. He's doing the hard bit by getting into those positions.
  • Options
    At the game. Overall a fair result. We could have been two up. They scored a cracker and 1-1 at half time about right.
    Second half they dominated. Not until the last 10 minutes did we get back into it. Pen a stonewall. Ref an absolute nightmare. Need someone ace up front with Taylor.
    And a special word for the stewards, especially the wannabe hard man in his fifties in the orange tabard who spent the entire game looking for anybody he could throw out. Bet he goes home and tells his lardy arse wife what a top man he's been, and then goes down the pub later to spend the £20 he earnt that day. Absolute cock.
  • Options
    At the game. Overall a fair result. We could have been two up. They scored a cracker and 1-1 at half time about right.
    Second half they dominated. Not until the last 10 minutes did we get back into it. Pen a stonewall. Ref an absolute nightmare. Need someone ace up front with Taylor.
    And a special word for the stewards, especially the wannabe hard man in his fifties in the orange tabard who spent the entire game looking for anybody he could throw out. Bet he goes home and tells his lardy arse wife what a top man he's been, and then goes down the pub later to spend the £20 he earnt that day. Absolute cock.
    Mocking the low earners in society, just for being jobsworths is classy... Like real classy.