Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Years Honours

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/50918896

Has Lewis Hamilton, 6 time World Champion and arguably one of our greatest ever sportspeople, taking a shit in the queens back garden or something?

Ben Stokes has had a stormer of a year, outside of getting in to punch ups, but really does he deserve a higher rank in the schemes of things?

Comments

• Qwhite interesting that Lewis has been omitted. He's possibly the greatest racing driver this country - if not the world - has ever produced, and sure he's got an MBE, but the CBE is a minimum surely?
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Qwhite interesting that Lewis has been omitted. He's possibly the greatest racing driver this country - if not the world - has ever produced, and sure he's got an MBE, but the CBE is a minimum surely?
    I suspect that he would have got more honours If he hadn’t left the slums of Stevenage ( his words ) and become a tax exile . 
    The tax thing regardless of your views on it hasn’t affected others who live abroad for large chunks of the year so it can’t be that.

And FFS are we still getting hett up over a slip of a tongue that he corrected instantly in a speech once? 

As we have mentioned before - he gets so much more attention than anyone else for minor stuff.

Stokes achievements on the world stage compared to 6 F1 world titles? Nah - not buying that.
  • Because driving isn't a sport? ;-)
  • edited December 2019
    Pathetic. 

He really should have some recognition for being stand out in the world of Motorsport like some medals or something?
  • The list surprised me because I thought that Clive Lloyd wasn't already a knight? Don't know where I got that from...  
  • People in getting the hump with the New Years Honours List shocker 
  • It seems one awaits another year... :-(
    Despite your marvellous achievements with this forum, yet again, it appears you have come up short yet again.

I also thought that @Henry Irving might have not been given a promote for "that's thread because her majesty had become an avid reader and wanted to turn him into a knight of the realm.
  • Sponsored links:

• People in getting the hump with the New Years Honours List shocker 
    It is bizarre though....Gaby Logan gets an MBE.....for presenting. I mean, wtf. 
  • Valley11 said:
    People in getting the hump with the New Years Honours List shocker 
    It is bizarre though....Gaby Logan gets an MBE.....for presenting. I mean, wtf. 
    It's always been the same. There don't  seem to be any set criteria, you just get chosen, but maybe Logan was chosen because they needed to fill the quota for sports media journalism or something?
  • cfgs said:
    It seems one awaits another year... :-(
    Despite your marvellous achievements with this forum, yet again, it appears you have come up short yet again.

I also thought that @Henry Irving might have not been given a promote for "that's thread because her majesty had become an avid reader and wanted to turn him into a knight of the realm.
     I'm already Sir Henry Irving
  • edited December 2019
  • It is utterly bizarre that Lewis hasn't been knighted given his level of success - wtf does he need to do? 
  • I thought Hamilton was an MBE
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Qwhite interesting that Lewis has been omitted. He's possibly the greatest racing driver this country - if not the world - has ever produced, and sure he's got an MBE, but the CBE is a minimum surely?
    Maybe the knighthood is waiting for his retirement. 
  • edited December 2019
    Jimmy Saville was knighted which, along with other undesirables, makes it a less worthy thing to have now anyway IMHO. I know the system having worked in the civil service. If you really want an honour do some charity work and get somebody to write in with a good embellished testimonial which is hard to disprove. The departments are so over worked, there isn't a lot of research into it.  

If you miss out on a honour, you have a good chance of being invited to a garden party and the nomination can be re-submitted with some improvements until you get one.
  • When you look at the fact the likes of Mo Farah and Andy Murray have knighthoods its criminal that Hamilton hasn't. These are all some of the greatest sportsman we've seen in Britain. I dont get why some get then and others dont.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2019
    A lot don't seem to like Hamilton. This is surely unreasonable as how can you not like somebody you don't know. You can only judge him on his ability and achievements which as has been said is up there with the all time greats in his sport.
  • When you look at the fact the likes of Mo Farah and Andy Murray have knighthoods its criminal that Hamilton hasn't. These are all some of the greatest sportsman we've seen in Britain. I dont get why some get then and others dont.
    Same as George Digweed - 26 world titles, 19 European titles, 4 European Compak titles, and 12 world cups.

Although he is an MBE as I'm sure Hamilton is
  • The best ones are those who refuse any suggestion of honours after getting the famous letter of 'consideration' and 'would you accept'.
    I realise that like belief in God, getting some letters after their name might make some people feel better but as far as I can tell there is no material benefit.
    At least the Poet Laureate gets £5750 plus a barrel of sherry.
    If the care workers who get an MBE also got £35,000 a year for life then the system would be improved.
    If it is about 'recognition', well high profile people like Olivia Newton John get recognition anyway.
  • Hamilton has won 6 world titles in a high profile sport yet no knighthood.

A few who have for less

Nick Faldo
    Jessica Ennis
    Andy Murray
    Bradley Wiggins..

I realise the honours system is ludicrous but for him not to get one is very strange.
  • It's an award and recognition of achievement or services to one thing or other. There's always been questions asked of one person getting it while another don't. 
  • It's an award and recognition of achievement or services to one thing or other. There's always been questions asked of one person getting it while another don't. 
    Lewis can lay claim to being one of our greatest sportsmen of all time so for him not to get one and yet people who have achieved far less to get one is very strange. F1 is pretty high profile and it seems a deliberate snub.
  • edited December 2019
    Bring back the good old days where you simply slipped a few quid to the right palms.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2007/oct/11/partyfunding.uk

The Metropolitan police begins an inquiry into claims that peerages have been "sold" amid claims of a link between a number of wealthy individuals who donate or loan money to political parties and those who receive a peerage.

The complaint was brought by the Scottish National party MP Angus McNeil after it emerged that four wealthy businessmen, who had lent the Labour party a total of £5m, were nominated by Tony Blair for peerages.

Lewis can lay claim to being one of our greatest sportsmen of all time so for him not to get one and yet people who have achieved far less to get one is very strange. F1 is pretty high profile and it seems a deliberate snub.
    Why do you think it's deliberate? For what reason?