Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The greatest show on turf Cheltenham 2020 thread

Not long to go to the big one stick tips, fancies on here 
will do the betfair and ganleys in Morden preview nights this year will stick up what is said on here.
anyone heading down I’m there the weds and Thursday stopping overnight in brum. 

Comments

• Never been before but going on the Thursday this year. Very excited. 
  • Have Pentland Hills ew at 33s for the Champion Hurdle, so fingers crossed he gets there in one piece.
  • I’m going on Wednesday. Very excited also...
  • Ante post bets that have any chances 

envoi Allen any race 10/1 

Shishkin supreme 25/1 cheers @PaddyP17

Call me Lord Champion hurdle 25/1

Benie des dieux mares
    paisley park stayers
    Defi de seuil champion 
    treble 12/1 

Lostintranslation gold cup 10/1
  • For a variety of reasons, I've not got as extensive an antepost Cheltenham book this year as I did last year. I've found many, many races to be quite difficult to untangle and I think I'd rather seek value nearer the time. But I have a few:

- Shishkin: Supreme, 33s (welcome @palarsehater - hopefully we're all rolling in it)
    - Fly Smart: Supreme, 25s (not seen him yet which has been very annoying, unknown quantity)
    - Don Poli: Foxhunters, 20s (possibly, if not probably, a back-to-lay venture)
    - Paisley Park: Stayers' @ 9/4 (now odds-on so I like this)
    - Kemboy: Gold Cup @ 13/2 (keeping faith from last year where was very unlucky to fall at the first)
    - Bumper: Power of Pause @ 25s (came 2nd in rules debut after a comfortable P2P victory, no idea what to make of it - 50s now with 365 but 25s/33s everywhere else)
    - Arkle: Annamix @ 33/1 (very speculative, accordingly small stakes, barely half a pt for me)

I don't really think there's too much else from which I can extract value ahead of time. The likes of the Brown, Coral Cup, Ultima, Kim Muir, Close Brothers and probably everything else Grade 3/Listed/Ungraded (except XC and maybe Foxhunters, and even then one can hunt value) will all be races to follow trends (will dig up a great list of them from last year) and decide nearer the time once entries are confirmed.

Still, if anything catches the eye, I'll put it out there.
  • Epatante for the Champion Hurdle

obviously not a tip but been following and looks nailed on at 11/4
  • edited January 2020
    I had fun following the festival last year. I’ll put up what horses I fancy on the day each day and track my pts through all five days.

Nothing antepost for me. Wish I’d jumped on Shishkin when Paddy mentioned it!
  • I did put some info and start a Festival thread a few weeks back,not sure how you put it onto this thread?
  • Thought I’d start the Festival thread up instead of losing this on the Sport Of Kings thread.I have my own horse racing tipping service on a well known platform and last weekend they had a get together of there tipsters to share information and ideas and mainly to go through early thoughts on this years Festival,this is the first time I’ve attended and found it really enjoyable..So I thought I’d share all the thoughts on here and hopefully come March there would of been some nice winners and good information given?

Defu Du Seuil - Ryanair Chase,JLT Chase or Champion Chase
    Thyme Hill - All Novice Hurdle events
    Garretstown - Close Brothers Handicap Chase
    Delta Work - Gold Cup
    Bright Forecast - RSA Chase,JLT Chase
    Paisley Park - Stayers Hurdle,take the 6/4 now as it will be odds on on the day
    Canardier - Coral Cup 
    A Plus Tard - RSA Chase
    Traffic Fluide - Kim Muir Chase,Ultima Chase
    Harambe - County Hurdle
    Gumball - County Hurdle
    Highway One O One - Brown Advisory
    Chanrty House - Novice Hurdles
    Mister Fisher - JLT Chase
    Berlan D’As - Has all the hallmarks of a handicap plot come Cheltenham
    Bravemansgame - No entries yet but keep an eye out for this horse now and at the Festival
    Sam Lee - Jockey and back all his mounts in the Amateur Only races

For what it’s worth my early thoughts are I completely agree as regards Paisley Park as the Stayers looks a poor race apart from the Favourite and I have already backed Thyme Hill and Defu Du Seuil ante post.

• Sponsored links:

• Cheers Steve,horses form I’m great with but technology useless!
  • gordan elliot confirms envoi allen will head straight to cheltenham in the ballymore - confident on the 10/1 any race i nabbed. 
  • Two ante post dabbles........
    Gold Cup-Presenting Percy 10/1. (could look a good or bad bet after today’s race at Leopardstown)
    Albert Bartlett-Ramses De Teillee 25/1
  • looking forward to nicking people’s daily picks for my lucky 15 bets. 
  • Got on itchy feet for the marsh novices at 25/1 prior to his win yesterday 
  • Good one palarsehater,Olly  told me Itchy Feet and Brewinupastorm would both go to the top over hurdles and fences. 
  • ta kk now generally 9/1 

the fun and games are starting with where horses will go - benie to the ch is being banded around at the moment. 

• edited February 2020
    Shishkin's just mullered his rivals in a Listed contest. Not really come off the bridle there - moved in to 5/2 for the Supreme at BV (7/1 Ballymore); Betway 3/1 from 4/1; PP 8s from 12s for the Ballymore and 9/2 from 5s for Supreme.

Probably justified, but was left in front for a bit after heading a rival two out, and they weren't going overly quickly on the first circuit. Easy win though.
  • Not long to go to the big one stick tips, fancies on here 
    will do the betfair and ganleys in Morden preview nights this year will stick up what is said on here.
    How busy does the Ganleys preview night get @palarsehater ? I see you don't need to buy tickets but is there a chance of getting turned away if they hit capacity? Also is it murders getting a beer in etc? 
  • My Festival betting is very much done around stats and trends and I know they are there to be broken.I agree Shishkin looks impressive but the last ten winners of the Supreme have all won a graded race,Shishkin hasn’t even ran in a graded race.
  • Sponsored links:

• My Festival betting is very much done around stats and trends and I know they are there to be broken.I agree Shishkin looks impressive but the last ten winners of the Supreme have all won a graded race,Shishkin hasn’t even ran in a graded race.
    Absolutely fair enough. I'm very glad I've got the price though, because the Supreme is a really difficult race to get right. I could possibly arb, or dutch, or back-to-lay depending on whether I feel a better horse could be the play on the day.

But if you were on 33/1 and it's now 3/1, that'll do!
  • BertieB said:
    How busy does the Ganleys preview night get @palarsehater ? I see you don't need to buy tickets but is there a chance of getting turned away if they hit capacity? Also is it murders getting a beer in etc? 
    It’s a lot better than many others I’ve been to, as you can actually hear the people, last year my Mrs was sat next to me and got chatting to one of the horsey crowd turned out to be luke Harvey’s assistant and she was driving him back to Surrey after the event so we ended up having a few pints with Mick Fitzgerald ( probably one of the nicest blokes I’ve ever met genuinely loves the sport and is happy to talk about it for hours, also for a decent bit of goss on a few of the trainers but not for here. 
    The bar doesn’t get too busy - and no prats really as people are genuinely interested in hearing what the panel has to say.
    i got there around 6.30/45 last year and it started around 8.30 through till 10.30. 
  • So far my ante posts are looking well 
    25/1 Shishkin supreme 
    10/1 envoi Allen any race

• BertieB said:
    It’s a lot better than many others I’ve been to, as you can actually hear the people, last year my Mrs was sat next to me and got chatting to one of the horsey crowd turned out to be luke Harvey’s assistant and she was driving him back to Surrey after the event so we ended up having a few pints with Mick Fitzgerald ( probably one of the nicest blokes I’ve ever met genuinely loves the sport and is happy to talk about it for hours, also for a decent bit of goss on a few of the trainers but not for here. 
    The bar doesn’t get too busy - and no prats really as people are genuinely interested in hearing what the panel has to say.
    i got there around 6.30/45 last year and it started around 8.30 through till 10.30. 
    Thanks for the response mate. Done a few in the City before (Betbright etc) but people just treat them like a piss up. This sounds much more like it so will give it a go
  • Been a slow day today, and I think at the head of the market for the Brown Advisory, I'd be inclined to take 16/1 about Cepage now, each way. I think it'll be where he goes, and Venetia Williams from 2008-2019 has had two winners (2009, 2013), one losing favourite, and two places from 20 runners. (On the day, Brown tends to become a 5/6 place offering, which make Williams runners slightly more profitable to back e.g. Didero Vallis in 2019.) So that's not a half-bad record.

Was on course for this race last year until an injury setback, and with the race likely to be run to suit given the size of the field (i.e. not having to front-run but able to be prominent), I think the price will get shorter closer to the day. Has won at Cheltenham this year, too, which helps immensely.

At current prices, I may also have a look at Chantry House for the Supreme at 11/1, rather than the Ballymore, despite Nicky Henderson's comments about him/AP McCoy saying he could do with another half mile after Saturday's success. That's because Nicky has a tendency to avoid confrontation outside his stable, and I reckon he'll be a bit scared of putting much up against Envoi Allen who looks a banker for the Ballymore (well done @palarsehater for that - great bet). He also won with, I suspect, an awful lot more left in the tank. Took his hurdles with quite a lot of air, but his natural engine (Geraghty was practically motionless until inside the final furlong!) seems to be a powerful one. 
  • Am not turning this into a Shiskin bashing thread............but another stat/trend 88 horses whose last run before the Festival was at Huntingdon have all lost in fact only 1 finished in the first three! Good luck to all that have backed Shishkin especially at the prices you have got.Ive just placed the following ante post bets
    Supreme- Asterion Forlonge 6/1
    Bumper - Appreciate It 3/1
    Then them two with Paisley Park in doubles and treble 
  • Champion Hurdle .. Honeysuckle .. Blackmore 1st woman to ride a Champ winner
  • Al Boum Photo/Santini forecast in the Gold Cup (it looks to me to be a 'weakish' renewal ?)
  • A Plus Tard looks handy too. Agree with Gold Cup, Native River back in the reckoning after Saturday. Now where will Frodon go, defend or attack so to speak.