Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• edited February 2020
    2121 said:
    What a Performance! 

Aj will have to defend against pulev first, might also be called to another mandatory defence?... Fury/wilder rematch in june... so possibly October/November fury aj? Assume it would need to be in cardiff/spurs (or saudi as hearn has said, although warren will have something to say now)... 
    No appetite from fans for a third fight. US fight fans are a fickle bunch too so now that Wilder has lost I can see him struggling to sell out arenas.

Joshua and Hearn will try and duck Fury, especially now they've seen that he has the power to put Wilder down as well as the skill and speed to avoid getting hit. 

AJ will beat Pulev but will he finally be made to fight Whyte again after? That's no longer a fight that he definitely wins imo.
  • Hearn wants it in Saudi Arabia for the £££ 

Needs to be at Wembley but can't see it happening. Expect a Hearn lowball offer and then a claim that Fury doesn't want the fight. 
    Given that Fury has gone to Germany to fight Klitschko and the US twice to fight Wilder, absolutely nobody would believe Hearn if he tried to claim that Fury doesn't want a fight with Joshua.
    Nobody with a brain believed him anyway 

Hearn will do all he can to milk as much money as is humanly possible and to weigh the scales in his mans favour. In fairness as he should he is the promoter but his strap line of giving it large about British boxing means nothing if the biggest british fight since Froch v Groves isn't held on UK soil 

Also Joshua wont be scared of fighting Fury but Hearn will, Joshua is his cow and there are not any big box office fighters ready yet to command a PPV apart from Warrington maybe in his stable whereas Warren now has Fury with Dubois coming through 
  • Croydon said:
    2121 said:
    What a Performance! 

Aj will have to defend against pulev first, might also be called to another mandatory defence?... Fury/wilder rematch in june... so possibly October/November fury aj? Assume it would need to be in cardiff/spurs (or saudi as hearn has said, although warren will have something to say now)... 
    No appetite from fans for a third fight. US fight fans are a fickle bunch too so now that Wilder has lost I can see him struggling to sell out arenas.

Joshua and Hearn will try and duck Fury, especially now they've seen that he has the power to put Wilder down as well as the skill and speed to avoid getting hit. 

AJ will beat Pulev but will he finally be made to fight Whyte again after? That's no longer a fight that he definitely wins imo.
    I don’t think any heavyweight on the planet ‘definitely wins’ against Whyte.
  • bobmunro said:
    Croydon said:
    2121 said:
    What a Performance! 

Fair point Bob. What I mean is that Whyte is a much improved fighter than when the two last met. 
  • Croydon said:
    bobmunro said:
    Croydon said:
    2121 said:
    What a Performance! 

Fair point Bob. What I mean is that Whyte is a much improved fighter than when the two last met. 
    I totally agree - no way Fury or AJ would want to fight Whyte before maybe getting together themselves - he could easily ruin their big pay day. Wilder has never wanted to fight Whyte!
  • Fury holds all the aces now though and hearn knows it and will admit it. Has already admitted they'd have to give wilder 50:50 since the ruiz loss. 
  • Carter said:
    Hearn wants it in Saudi Arabia for the £££ 

Needs to be at Wembley but can't see it happening. Expect a Hearn lowball offer and then a claim that Fury doesn't want the fight. 
    Given that Fury has gone to Germany to fight Klitschko and the US twice to fight Wilder, absolutely nobody would believe Hearn if he tried to claim that Fury doesn't want a fight with Joshua.
    Nobody with a brain believed him anyway 

Hearn will do all he can to milk as much money as is humanly possible and to weigh the scales in his mans favour. In fairness as he should he is the promoter but his strap line of giving it large about British boxing means nothing if the biggest british fight since Froch v Groves isn't held on UK soil 

Also Joshua wont be scared of fighting Fury but Hearn will, Joshua is his cow and there are not any big box office fighters ready yet to command a PPV apart from Warrington maybe in his stable whereas Warren now has Fury with Dubois coming through 
    If the Saudi's offer 2-3 times what they'll make at Wembley, there's no way they're going to fight in London just for the sake of British Boxing.

Not to mention they'd fight at midnight local time out there, making it 9pm peak time in the UK so they'd still shift a record number of PPV's.
  • bobmunro said:
    Croydon said:
    2121 said:
    What a Performance! 

Apart from Fury
  • Aj and Fury fight at the Tottenham stadium.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fury v AJ could well see some crazy Novel arrangement like it being staged in front of 15k in the Middle East with live beam backs at major stadia in the UK with live undercards to get the punters in. PPV figures would be enormous as would the price tag. The first £30 PPV ticket I’d guess. World’s gone mad. 
  • A lot of people would pay 30 imo - agree madness.

Americans would.

Wilder getting booed walking to the ring in Las Vegas - unheard of.

Fury has Americans on his side.

All said, AJ will poo his pants and not face Tyson
  • LenGlover said:
    LenGlover said:
    What's Wilder's chin like?

Fury has won quite a few by knockout (I know we are not necessarily talking world class with those) but tends to box rather than punch. I suspect he might surprise us if he actually tries punching as I'm not convinced Wilder has a strong chin.
    Nice to get something right for once.

Doesn't happen often!
    Well done Len!  Modesty prevented me from mentioning that I had Fury in the 8th earlier in this thread (slightly wrong) and as a matter of interest (to me anyway) I also forecast a 3-1 win for the Addicks in the predictions competition. But, like you, this doesn’t happen for me very often.
  • Imagine the mood in the Wilder camp pre-fight, they are all in there huddled away getting hyped up with some aggressive rap music getting ready to go to war....suddenly all they can hear are the tones of 1960s crooner Patsy Kline’s melodious “Crazy” filling the arena.

Suddenly this now longer feels like a gladiatorial contest at the MGM Grand, it’s more like a wet Sunday at the Morecambe Ballroom and now they start to realise that the dreadlocked rapper they’ve booked for the ring-walk is now going to look absolutely ridiculous.

Just one of the many reasons why Tyson Fury is a genius.
    Fury seems to have an art of getting into opponents heads with menacing charm.  Did it with Klitschko and now Wilder and of course outboxed and fought both men. 

A real enigma and proud he hails from these shores.   Hope he can stay on track with himself for him and his family in the coming years.

Will be great to see Joshua and Fury get it on.   So pleased for Fury and what a barnstormer of a performance.

He won't ever get a knighthood but he'll always be remembered by those who matter.  Very flawed but a heart of gold.
    Proper and genuine character in an age of dull and sterile polished sportsmen. 
    He does just that - his opponents just cannot get a grip on him at all.

The trick with Tyson is that all the stuff he comes out with is just a JOKE - he doesn't mean any of it - and that's the point, he knows it's an act, the punters know it's an act, but everyone is happy to play along with it.

If you compare him to Naseem Hamed from the 90s then it's chalk and cheese, some of the stuff Hamed used to come out with was spiteful and nasty and he was obviously an egotist - everyone can see that Tyson is actually quite a humble guy.
  • edited February 2020
    The amount of money that Saudi Arabia are paying for big sporting events at the moment is extraordinary. I read somewhere that Tyson Fury was paid £12m just to do the WWE match that he had recently over there.

Would absolutely love a fight with AJ to be at Wembley Stadium though. 
  • What is interesting listening to American boxing podcasts, is not neccessarily how much in awe of Fury they were, but how dismissive of, and how little they rate Joshua in comparison to him.

I suppose you have to remember than AJ's only appearance in the US was his disastrous loss to Ruiz, after he had been promoted as the next big thing by Hearn.

Still not sure that the AJ Vs Fury fight will happen - Hearn has this year planned out for AJ anyhow, and Fury is such a maverick and free spirit that it is impossible to know what he will be thinking and feeling twelve months down the line.

As for Wilder, he would be a fool to take the option of a rematch up - all he would be guaranteeing (apart from the money of course), would be another beating by a bigger and better boxer. Far better to drop down a level, and see what happens down the line. 
  • edited February 2020
    BR3red said:
    A lot of people would pay 30 imo - agree madness.

Americans would.

Last night was $79.99 PPV for a bit of perspective
  • BR3red said:

Americans would.

That's fairly standard for the US.

UFC PPV's are usually $65. I think the Mayweather v McGregor 'fight' was $90.
  • Sponsored links:

• Imagine the mood in the Wilder camp pre-fight, they are all in there huddled away getting hyped up with some aggressive rap music getting ready to go to war....suddenly all they can hear are the tones of 1960s crooner Patsy Kline’s melodious “Crazy” filling the arena.

Suddenly this now longer feels like a gladiatorial contest at the MGM Grand, it’s more like a wet Sunday at the Morecambe Ballroom and now they start to realise that the dreadlocked rapper they’ve booked for the ring-walk is now going to look absolutely ridiculous.

Fury: Proper and genuine character in an age of dull and sterile polished sportsmen. 

• BR3red said:

Americans would.

That's fairly standard for the US.

UFC PPV's are usually $65. I think the Mayweather v McGregor 'fight' was $90.

I seem to remember Mayweather v Pacquiao was $100.
  • Eddie Hearn live on SSN in the next 10 mins.

Fury: Proper and genuine character in an age of dull and sterile polished sportsmen. 

Not sure you can get any duller than Federer other than an interview with Tiger Woods.

• Eddie Hearn live on SSN in the next 10 mins.
    Hearn making all the right noises. They should offer Wilder a load of $ to wait it out and have first dibs on the winner of Fury v AJ. Would never happen of course as we’d have Fury v AJ 2 and 3 to get done first and I dare say that would suit Wilder who won’t fancy another spanking. Not sure how they get round the Pulev problem though. 
  • I think AJ is far more scared of Fury than Fury is of AJ. Fury is a one-off.
  • I think AJ is far more scared of Fury than Fury is of AJ. Fury is a one-off.
    I see it pretty much as a British version of the Fury v Wilder scenario. Fury will box AJ’s pants off but if Joshua actually manages to hit him.........
  • Fury’s old man on GMB today wants Fury to retire!
  • Greenie said:
    Fury’s old man on GMB today wants Fury to retire!
     That's interesting. His Dad is a very good judge of what's good and what's not so good for him.

I guess he sees it that he's won all there is to win, albeit at different times.
    Maybe he thinks Joshua could cause him a bit of damage?
  • Fury is only 31 and would probably earn 50m+ from a Joshua fight (if they fight in Saudi), so he'd be mad to retire now.