Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Greenie said:
    Fury’s old man on GMB today wants Fury to retire!

theres part of me that agrees with Big John,as the biggest problem last time was that he felt he had achived his pinancle he had climbed his own personal everest and when he came back the nation wasnt behind him the press ridiculed him and belittled the him personally and attacked from every angle

I think that there should be a huge recepetion upon his return and hopefully the whole of the UK will get behind him, 

This man is a great man a motivation and inspiration for me personally and many like me, he is a genuine superstar who diesnt act like one, he has time for everyone and can be accessed so easily,

It was a masterclass against a dangerous oponent i wont knock wilder as a fighter his power is immense and if the punch in the first round had hit any other man in the game it wouldve been night night vienna

but i also can not take back anything i have said about him, imo he was 3rd out of the 3 top guys, i think he troubles Whyte as i see the same boxing weakness in whyte as i do wilder,

Tyson vs AJ only one winner and it would be a clear winner Tyson Fury and i have said that every single time i have been asked, 

if i was AJ i wouldnt want the fight to be anywhere else than the place i will get paid the most and thats either the USA or Saudi . its not a fight for the UK as it wont make anywhere near the money to pay the 2 men what it truly is worth.

• If Fury fights AJ and wins then retirement makes sense - go out undefeated at the top and enjoy your life. History is littered with boxers who didn't know when to quit.

How much money does he need? His health and sanity is more important.
  • Imagine the mood in the Wilder camp pre-fight, they are all in there huddled away getting hyped up with some aggressive rap music getting ready to go to war....suddenly all they can hear are the tones of 1960s crooner Patsy Kline’s melodious “Crazy” filling the arena.

Suddenly this now longer feels like a gladiatorial contest at the MGM Grand, it’s more like a wet Sunday at the Morecambe Ballroom and now they start to realise that the dreadlocked rapper they’ve booked for the ring-walk is now going to look absolutely ridiculous.

Just one of the many reasons why Tyson Fury is a genius.
    Fury seems to have an art of getting into opponents heads with menacing charm.  Did it with Klitschko and now Wilder and of course outboxed and fought both men. 

A real enigma and proud he hails from these shores.   Hope he can stay on track with himself for him and his family in the coming years.

Will be great to see Joshua and Fury get it on.   So pleased for Fury and what a barnstormer of a performance.

He won't ever get a knighthood but he'll always be remembered by those who matter.  Very flawed but a heart of gold.
    Proper and genuine character in an age of dull and sterile polished sportsmen. 
    He does just that - his opponents just cannot get a grip on him at all.

The trick with Tyson is that all the stuff he comes out with is just a JOKE - he doesn't mean any of it - and that's the point, he knows it's an act, the punters know it's an act, but everyone is happy to play along with it.

If you compare him to Naseem Hamed from the 90s then it's chalk and cheese, some of the stuff Hamed used to come out with was spiteful and nasty and he was obviously an egotist - everyone can see that Tyson is actually quite a humble guy.
    Same as mcgregor. Complete textbook windup, but it is banter to him and the RoTW just doesn't get it and gets wound up. 

• edited February 2020
    Just rewatched it.  Fight should have been stopped a lot earlier rewatching it.  Wilder was throwing nothing and barely able to defend himself properly from about the 4th and just looked gone.  

Get caught up when watching it live/ for the first time but rewatching again probably should have been stopped earlier. Think if the bell hadn't saved him in the 2nd he'd have gone then. 

Warrior to stay in there.  At the time thought they had stopped it prematurely but watching it again the corner defo made the right decision throwing in the towel but perhaps should have done it far earlier.
  • The ref would have stopped it in the 4th if he wasn't the Heavyweight Champion.
  • Wilder also has harsh words for referee Kenny Bayless, alleging Bayless declined to effectively confront Fury over a slew of punches to the back of Wilder's head and neck after telling Wilder he would disqualify him if he did the same in pre-fight dressing room.
  • All of the money and politics is one thing that has stopped me really getting into being a massive fan of the boxing scene. 

Seems weird to me that if footballers make even the suggestion that that they will move somewhere for the sake of money they get absolutely lambasted by the man on the street, yet boxers and their promoters talk about it openly and nobody seems to really be offended.
  • cafctom said:
    All of the money and politics is one thing that has stopped me really getting into being a massive fan of the boxing scene. 

Seems weird to me that if footballers make even the suggestion that that they will move somewhere for the sake of money they get absolutely lambasted by the man on the street, yet boxers and their promoters talk about it openly and nobody seems to really be offended.
      The fact that boxers are in many ways putting there lives on the line for their sport sways a lot of judgement towards them.
    If there's a real chance you could end up seriously injured or dead then why shouldn't you ask for as much wedge as you can get?
  • Deontay Wilder tells reporter he is definitely exercising his rematch clause for a summer trilogy against Tyson Fury, that his legs were weakened by his 45-pound costume he wore to the ring to honor Black History Month.
    I'm sure he wore a similar outfit against Ortiz and he won that. I'd say getting smashed in the head by a 19 stone guy probably weakened his legs more!

Also seen him criticise Breland for throwing in the towel. If you look back at the footage, he should've been retired on his stool at the end of the 6th, he was completely fucked. Breland saved him from potential serious injury.
  • Sponsored links:

• Absolute nonsense coming out of the Wilder camp about his outfit.

If I was them I would have played a lot more on his ear injury than his costume.

I've watched it again and don't see how he ever beats Fury. He'd have to bulk up a hell of a lot to stand any sort of chance. But he wouldn't be comfortable with that.
  • "My ring walk costume was too heavy" ranks right up there with the truly great excuses of our time. Utterly pathetic. 
  • Fury is an undeniably good boxer and I think he beats Joshua. 

Don't get the love for him though. He's homophobic, racist and sexist. Might have been through a difficult time but that doesn't make him a better person. 
  • edited February 2020

Wilder's problem wasn't the costume, it was the weight gain.

I reckon he probably gained it in the wrong areas, too much muscle mass which caused him to gas too quickly.

Don't get the love for him though. He's homophobic, racist and sexist. Might have been through a difficult time but that doesn't make him a better person. 
    I don’t know if he actually is any of those things - but a lot of people say things in and around boxing for the sake of bravado, and he will be the first to admit that he made major mistakes in this area in the past. Nobody is perfect, and he is far from it.

You will find that the ‘love in’ comes from the fact that he has overcome major hurdles and it is one of the most remarkable comeback stories, whether you like him or not. People can identify with that and take inspiration from it.
  • Rizzo said:
    "My ring walk costume was too heavy" ranks right up there with the truly great excuses of our time. Utterly pathetic. 
    Even David “bad toe” Haye is laughing at him. 
  • How about Joseph Parker’s spider bite.  He’s got a fight this weekend by the way against an opponent I’ve never heard of.
  • cafctom said:
    Fury is an undeniably good boxer and I think he beats Joshua. 

I don’t know if he actually is any of those things - but a lot of people say things in and around boxing for the sake of bravado, and he will be the first to admit that he made major mistakes in this area in the past. Nobody is perfect, and he is far from it.

You will find that the ‘love in’ comes from the fact that he has overcome major hurdles and it is one of the most remarkable comeback stories, whether you like him or not. People can identify with that and take inspiration from it.
    I don’t think it’s an excuse to say those things are said in and around boxing. Yes things can get heated between the fighters, trash talking etc but some of the shite Fury has spouted has gone way beyond that. 

Your second paragraph I don’t dispute and although I don’t particularly like him, im in agreement that his comeback is inspirational. From a sporting perspective, what he has achieved is what undeniably brilliant. 
  • Rizzo said:
    "My ring walk costume was too heavy" ranks right up there with the truly great excuses of our time. Utterly pathetic. 
    Think he's had 1 too many punches to the head
  • I don’t think he’s racist.

I certainly don’t think he’s sexist, the way he speaks of his wife especially.

I do think he was homophobic, mainly due to his upbringing and the beliefs instilled within him. Whether that’s changed with his re-evaluation of life I don’t know, but I’d hope to think so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Well, he was very quick to thank jesus for his win, and religious people are always tolerant of homosexuals... Bit flippant I'm sorry. Funnily enough though, I rarely look to boxers for moral guidance, but there's a lot to look up to in terms of dedication, hard work, and often overcoming the odds. I'm part of a mental health support group, and loads on there were praising Fury for what he's overcome, so he's definitely made an impact on people who otherwise care little for boxing
  • cafctom said:

I don’t think it’s an excuse to say those things are said in and around boxing. Yes things can get heated between the fighters, trash talking etc but some of the shite Fury has spouted has gone way beyond that. 

Your second paragraph I don’t dispute and although I don’t particularly like him, im in agreement that his comeback is inspirational. From a sporting perspective, what he has achieved is what undeniably brilliant. 
    What he has said in the past may have been beyond the mark, but I’m also of the opinion that people can change for the better and that mistakes made in someone’s early/mid twenties shouldn’t be seen as baggage on that person for the rest of their lives.

For me he is someone who has provided a lot more good in the sport and in his overall message than bad. 
  • Gareth A Davies is reporting that Callum Smith is the chosen one to get the Canelo fight.

Easier fight for Canelo and likely earning less than BJS so guess it's probably a given.

because he is none of the above 
  • I don’t think he’s racist.

I certainly don’t think he’s sexist, the way he speaks of his wife especially.

I do think he was homophobic, mainly due to his upbringing and the beliefs instilled within him. Whether that’s changed with his re-evaluation of life I don’t know, but I’d hope to think so.
    My own personal experience of gypsies are that they are sexist. They do however generally adore their families. So I don't think the way he speaks about his wife necessarily means he doesn't feel that way generally. For instance, comments about women being "good in the kitchen or on their back" suggest. 

Perhaps racist was unfair. I'd be surprised if his homophobic views have changed. I agree it's got a lot to do with the upbringing, doesn't make it right. 
  • cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

What he has said in the past may have been beyond the mark, but I’m also of the opinion that people can change for the better and that mistakes made in someone’s early/mid twenties shouldn’t be seen as baggage on that person for the rest of their lives.

For me he is someone who has provided a lot more good in the sport and in his overall message than bad. 
    I agree. I'm 29 and have made lots of mistakes. Definitely would like to think I am getting better as a person. Having said that, I haven't held the views he has. Those views aren't necessarily easy to change, mainly because of his upbringing and community. 
  • I thought Haye's broken toe excuse was bad, but Wilder's heavy costume excuse tops it.  Dickhead!
  • so happy for Fury....I've rewatched the fight 5 times...it was a masterpiece.
    i am ashamed to admit that i bet 400Euros on Wilder... i thought Fury will box him but eventually Wilder will catch him with a big right hand.
    i didn't believed a word from the build up... i didn't believe that Fury is going to bully Wilder...to go straight at him. i was so wrong.
    Wilder is such a sore loser... he's ego is humongous and he cannot accept that the better man won that night.
    i follow Fury since he was an amateur and he came and fought in Romania ...  after he became pro i've watched him closely.

i hope he keeps his motivation high and stay in gym...and away from troubles.

• How about Joseph Parker’s spider bite.  He’s got a fight this weekend by the way against an opponent I’ve never heard of.

Parker knocked out Shawndell Winters in the 5th round after putting him down in the third (and getting a cut eye himself in the process).  Parker is in the Eddie Hearn stable and looks to fight again in June and get up amongst the top tier again.