Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Things you’ve noticed/ newly appreciated since the lockdown

In our house, we’ve done nearly two weeks of self isolating/ social distancing now, and in many ways our perception of the world and our lives has changed, along with the reality of how it has altered for the time being.
Some of these things seem obvious but since our lockdown I have noticed : 
- there seems to be so much more bird song around our estate. Or maybe I just never noticed or listened before.
- the air quality seems so much better. So much so that if a car goes past, you suddenly realise you can smell the exhaust emissions as it passes. Before this,  I either took no notice or just accepted it.
- the kindness of other people. Yes, there are selfish nobs out there, but it is hard not to be overwhelmed and humbled by the generosity and caring nature of so many of your fellow men and women at a time like this. The NHS staff. What can you say. They are putting in an amazing shift for the people of this country. 
- the benefits of the internet and social media. We have got so used to this in our lives, but how invaluable has it been through this. Yes, it has its downsides, but from Joe Wickes to Charlton Life, to all the other sites that have provided information, reassurance, humour and shared humanity, it has shown that at times, the world really is now a global village.
- how easy our lives really have been. I have a new appreciation of what the previous generations went through in the world wars and aftermath. We think this is difficult, but how resilient did they have to be for years, while dealing with uncertainty, rationing and no information at a touch of a button, like we have.
- how the simple things in life are really the best.

Comments

• "- how easy our lives really have been. I have a new appreciation of what the previous generations went through in the world wars and aftermath. We think this is difficult, but how resilient did they have to be for years, while dealing with uncertainty, rationing and no information at a touch of a button, like we have."

Definitely this. Also the things we have to occupy our time during this 'lockdown' - tv's, internet, games consoles etc. It's really not that difficult. 
  • Work - I actually have decided I miss getting out of the house and going in to the office. I always thought WFH would be great, and although I do it every now and then, the novelty of doing it everyday wore off after 5 days. 
  • edited March 2020
    The good thing for the wife has been the jobs round the home are getting done.
    I can no longer get away with im going football , especially after the wife finding out friday the season s been put on hold till the end of april.
  • I've been furloughed on 80% pay and so far it's been nice not getting up at 3.30 every day and lazing about is quite nice to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Vodka.
  • I’ve got a wife 
  • One thing I’m finding a bit hard to appreciate right at the moment is this weather. We’ve had snow, sunshine, a hailstone blizzard so far this morning, served up with a cold wind that’s going to a few places it really shouldn’t.🙄
  • South Eas...... naah never.

i am enjoying ‘time’ and no ‘deadlines’ (except when at work)

We do what we want when we want because we don’t need to get up at weekend to do this this and this before it shuts or when it’s quiet. 

It’s nice just having time. 

• Actually just scrolled through sky q and found the play off final from last year. We recorded it but have never got around (or had time) to watching the 2nd half. On it goes. Classic example of what I mean above. 
  • Actually just scrolled through sky q and found the play off final from last year. We recorded it but have never got around (or had time) to watching the 2nd half. On it goes. Classic example of what I mean above. 
    Let’s us know the result. 
  • Sponsored links:

• clb74 said:
    The good thing for the wife has been the jobs round the home are getting done.
    I can no longer get away with im going football , especially after the wife finding out friday the season s been put on hold till the end of april.
    Thats a nightmare. If she hadn’t found out you could have got in your car, parked around the corner and had 6 or 7 hours to yourself. I’ve told Mrs Otto that there is a radio station that does a Charlton update for 3 hours a day and I can only pick the signal up in the Garage. It’s funny really because it’s only ever on when our baby has a meltdown.
  • Seeing family, when you are no longer allowed to
    We only bloody just went and won it!!!! 

Not again. Getting a bit bored now of us  winning at Wembley all the time. 
  • Having a soak in a bath as opposed to grabbing a quick shower 

Not again. Getting a bit bored now of us  winning at Wembley all the time. 
    Yes,  that's the 6th time this week we have won the play off final.