Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Millwall | Fri 03 Jul 2020| Post-match thread

Comments

• I want the lineup that ended the game starting next week. Williams should be fit by now. That's the only positive.
  • Millwall just a bit less shit than we were and the quality of the goal showed it.

Cullen was crap and that means we usually are crap.

Just sick of this fixture, I know what’s gonna happen but it still pisses me off massively.

Matthews and Pratley were class. Rest can fuck off, Brentford will have a field day next week.

Cannot believe the lack of football intelligence our teams possess. Goal kicks played to Pratley on the edge of our box, our choice of pass, dwelling on the ball, lumping it in the box when you’ve brought on Doughty and Williams. Just really really fucking thick.

Not looking good.
    I think thats what annoyed me the most...lumping it in to the box when they are all about 7ft...over and over again millwall dealt with it with ease. And us not fucking having the brains to try something different
  • We've scored twice in our last 7 matches and only had 16 shots on target in those games. We set ourselves up to nick matches but aren't taking the few clear cut chances we get.

Wins and 3 points are everything, We are unlikely to get anything at Brentford and Leeds so must win at least two of the other three. In those games I would like to see Aneke up top, Doughty as left wing back and Williams too as he is the one player in our squad who has that ability to open up a defence.
  • Looking forward to @oohaahmortimer’s post 
  • Wish I'd saved myself a penny off a tenner and watched Gogglebox with the wife. Why should tonight have been any different from all the other times we've failed to show up against Millwall. Might've been different if we had a clue of what to do in the final third but in that department we are so poor. Starting to get edgy again. If you can't score you've no chance of winning.
  • I really don't really give a toss that it was M***wall.  It's the points dropped and losing the clean sheet that matters
    This. Can't see us getting anything from Brentford & Leeds. All comes down to the games against Reading, Birmingham & Wigan. Need to win 2 of those. 
  • seth plum said:
    Millwall were more relaxed than us. Everybody from Bowyer down looked nervous. Millwall were relaxed and on their game, their strengths were deployed well, we were a bit worse than in the last three games.
    It wasn't a game for passengers, but we lacked telling contributions from too many of our players, they didn't mean it, but were simply bettered...as usual against Millwall.
    A sickener, however we have to try to respond in the remaining matches, at least they didn't score a hatful so it is still in our hands.
    Not possible to feel good this evening, but it is always like this against them.
    Of course Millwall are going to be more relaxed than us

They dont have the pressure of having just 12-wins in this fixture, doesnt matter if fans are there or not but the longer this goes on the more pressure will be put on Charlton players to get that win

Eventually when it does happen I imagine even Millwall will probably just shrug their shoulders and go: "Oh well, we'll give them one"
  • Genuinely don't see any of our strikers scoring for us in our remaining games. We're gonna have to rely on our defence to keep clean sheets and hope we can get a lucky goal from somewhere
  • Sponsored links:

• Result predictable but we had our chances but didn't take them. Millwall looked slightly stronger, oh well move on. I think we still have enough to just about stay up, although I suspect Wigans administration might ultimately help us do it.

Big games against Reading and Birmingham coming up 
  • We are very weak up front but our defence was pretty good. Millwall were strong and tidy and took their chance whereas we blew all our half chances. 
  • Hope to god the teams below us start bottling it now - we won't fare well if they continue to pick up points and we don't have any strikers that can stick it in the net
  • The worst thing about being a Charlton fan is the record against these bastards. I've had 45 years of this.
  • Sponsored links:

• And will people stop taking about Millwall  getting into the play-offs. They are bang average & will lucky to be top 10. No doubt they will lose against the teams down with us.
  • RE: the Goal, doesnt it bounce up and hit Dillon in the face after hitting his chest, thats what sets it up for Cooper

Dillon has done all he can to get the best part of his body in the way of the shot, if that just bounces off his chest and no where else it surely falls to Hemed (?)
  • sammy391 said:
    Terrible performance all over the field!
    do they train together!?

hemed and Bonne looked lively for the first 5 and then it was back to usual lacklustre- hemed decent at hold up play, but we have no one to compliment that! 

McGeady should be nowhere near the wings, let alone the centre of midfield- dillydallied on the ball whenever he had it and Absolutely no creativity- what does he bring??? 

Morgan was the brighten performance there, but hooked off for wha ever reason, with Cullen being under the mosh every time he has the ball - Millwall did a good job on him! 

Oshilaja is no left back, and have no idea what purrington has to do to get into the team!

Our crossing Was diabolical both from open and set plays- so with the main style of our football being long balls to the big guys, why are we ballooning every cross high into the sky or over hitting them? 

Needed the point, and could be in a bloody worrying position come tomorrow evening! Back to basics needed for Brentford and grind out a draw, because on that performance we are done for! 
    McGeady should be nowhere near the pitch! The usual capitulation. Fed up with losing to Millwall. Looking at that we are piss poor.
  • ct_addick said:
    physically stronger and fitter. Men vs Boys. We were carrying McGeady. Bonne couldn’t score in a brothel. Fear for us now. Lee got it wrong today. 
    I don’t really agree with that last sentence. I can’t see how we could have set up much different. McGeady was a weak link but Williams didn’t have 90 mins in him, Green was terrible last game and Field is too defensive. Bowyer showed faith in a technically limited side that have won their last two games. They weren’t good enough to get it tonight but if Bonne puts that one away first half and we hold it like we have been then we’re all calling him a genius.
  • edited July 2020
    It's the hope that kills you and as an eternal optimist I've really screwed myself on this one.

I had hope that the abnormality of the fixture date and kick.off time would be the changer.

As soon as they scored we panicked and just started lumping crosses in. Our best period was the first 10, smooth quick direct build up play. We looked like today could be the day, next 5 we edged and last 7 or 8 of the first half we looked good. 

They came at us for the first ten of the second. We weathered it and it was a very poor match from both sides, then out of nothing, no one tracked a centre back running into the box and boom equaliser. Lockyer very slow to react to that.

We need at least three players to step up now.

That's done me in big time.
  • I’m really not surprised, wasteful in attack, Hemed really is the new josh Parker.
  • What has happened to Bonne? Is it just lack of confidence or has he become disinterested in playing properly for us?