Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Millwall | Fri 03 Jul 2020| Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    1968CAFC said:
    We played well 
    we did not take our changes 
    our Goalkeeper make a mistake.
    we deserved a point and I hope Lyle Taylor watched the game as he could have been a Charlton legend tonight instead of a huge disappointment.
    as always we have still got Lee Bowyer 👍👍👍

No way did we play well. Maybe we could have got away with a draw, but that wasn't a good performance. Some nonsense marks being given to Dillon for 1 mistake though
  • Options
    Bowyer giving it Publically to Bonne and Hemed.
    While I agree, that could bury the pair of them confidence wise, and they're pretty much all we've got!
    Would hate to see the pair of them playing with no confidence,man alive,theyre shit enough😉 Got to give Davison a go up front now,he cant do any worse than Bonne
    Or play Dougherty up there.
  • Options
    I expected us to lose but not in that fashion. Frustrating when we had actual chances to take the lead but our forwards just can't do it without Taylor. Leaves me very worried that we're relying on set pieces to get 2 more wins.

I hope McGeady doesn't start another game for us.
  • Options
    CatAddick said:
    I never bet on Charlton games but I hate to think how much I could have won in the last 20 odd years.  So frustrating 
    I think you’ve hit upon something there.
  • Options

• Options
    I tee off in a 2 ball at 9am with a Millwall fan.

Fooking hell, been looking forward to the bar opening for 3 months...

Feels like someone has just taken a centrepiece shit in the middle of our social distanced table. 
    Don’t worry about it, just roll over and lose the golf....have a few beers afterwards and be safe in the knowledge that it will keep happening for however long you have got left in the tank. 
  • Options
    Also, think Hemed is an easy target as, obviously, he hasn’t scored a goal for us and his finishing leaves a lot to be desired. But, his hold up play is the best in the squad. He has a decent touch and with the right player, he can provide the necessary chances. We just don’t have a goal scoring centre forward to play with him anymore.
    Agree entirely. 

But all of our forwards need to think less and shoot more.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    SDAddick said:
    For those talking about strikers who can't score, it's not like they have chances either. Everything comes up to them long. It's bypassing the midfield where the problem lies. 

From my player marks on Bowyer. Thought he got it wrong tonight. 

Bowyer: 3 - And this is where the problem was, unfortunately. Done really well to this point, but got out-tacticed tonight, not for the first time. Playing Dej at LB, and then LWB, meant we were incredibly narrow and predictable. Going to 5-4-1 with Hemed playing on the right was a huge mistake. You'd finally brought on Williams. You have Hemed and Aneke, two decent forwards, and Field and Cullen behind the three, all of whom can pick a pass. You need to let them play. Yes, Doughty on the left is a liability defensively but Pearce and Field can cover for him. You need to move the line up higher and go on the front foot. Otherwise, don't make those substitutions, bring on JFC or Green and shut up shop. Instead he switched Hemed to RW, Williams to LW, and sat incredibly deep, and we conceded. All evening he was responding to changes Rowett made. 

We've lost the ability to build from the back. We don't really have much possession to speak of. And as such, our players look knackered by the end. We're one dimensional, we lump into channels and we try to score from set pieces. We need to be more than that because the teams around us are playing really well. 1-0s and 0-0s are a precarious business, and tonight it didn't work. And when it doesn't work, it looks really poor.

This doesn't make him a bad manager, and he's done great work. He just got it wrong tonight. And we're going to need to find another dimension for the run-in because I fear teams have figured us out. 
    I generally think Bowyer is a conservative manager who will always choose the most risk-averse option. It's served us well in the first three games but it could still send us down if we really just cannot score from the meagre chances this tactical style will create
    It's sad to admit but that is a far more eloquent way of conveying the message I was trying to put across.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't bother watching. Watched Back to the Future 3 instead. Something else for which I know the ending but makes me feel good instead. Even with the DeLorean we wouldn't be able to find a way to beat Millwall.
  • Options
    While I agree, that could bury the pair of them confidence wise, and they're pretty much all we've got!
    Would hate to see the pair of them playing with no confidence,man alive,theyre shit enough😉 Got to give Davison a go up front now,he cant do any worse than Bonne
    While that may be how he pronounces his name it ain’t how it’s spelled. 

Irritating me about 1/1000000 as much as losing today,
  • Options
    Thought Mcgeady was ok but not as good as he thinks he is. If he realised he can’t do what he could do a few years ago he’d los the ball less often bit he also used to be able to pull the trigger and bang it in and that, he should have lost.

wouldnt start him, would have him on the bench, 
  • Options
    Who?
  • Options
    The most frustrating thing of all and why Millwall fans must piss themselves is not once in that 24 years have they had a clearly better team than us. There’s been no top of the table v bottom of the table one siders.

They just know how not to lose to us even when bang average. 

I dont blame them for taking the piss. It’s embarrassing.
    We share your frustration, AFKA - but I thought Millwall played markedly better: sharper and neater moves. Look at all our over-hit crosses: at least six in this game. And making a mess of a free-kick on the half-way line, putting a team-mate ten yards away under immediate pressure, is just plain stupid.

We need proper strikers next season, for a start. 
  • Options
    There were a lot of overhit crosses, so much so that Millwall started sticking two blokes on the very far corner of the 18 when we crossed it in.
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    We played well 
    we deserved a point and I hope Lyle Taylor watched the game as he could have been a Charlton legend tonight instead of a huge disappointment.

No way did we play well. Maybe we could have got away with a draw, but that wasn't a good performance. Some nonsense marks being given to Dillon for 1 mistake though
    We were playing our Bogie team who are pushing for the playoffs, without a top striker we played well
    our great championship level goal keeper had a mistake. simple and a fact.
    not an issue or a problem we start again.
    respectfully you should watch the game next time 👍👍👍
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    1968CAFC said:
    We played well 

We were playing our Bogie team who are pushing for the playoffs, without a top striker we played well
    I was supporting Dillon against the nonsense marks. Respectfully you should read what I actually said  :D

And no, we didn't play well, even allowing for the LT shaped hole up front.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Who?
    He means Paul Konchelskis
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Trying to do an Eric Idle and look on the bright side.

If by some miracle we can win our remaining home games and pick up a point at Birmingham that would give us 53 points. That MIGHT be enough given that Peterborough went down with 54 one year. 

One thing for sure the 4th from bottom team will need well over 50 points.

I'm dreading @oohaahmortimer 's percentages.....
  • Options
    Roll over and have your tummies tickled boys. Wankers.
  • Options
    Roll over and have your tummies tickled boys. Wankers.
    Tell it like it is man.
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    1968CAFC said:
    We played well 

I was supporting Dillon against the nonsense marks. Respectfully you should read what I actually said  :D

And no, we didn't play well, even allowing for the LT shaped hole up front.
    Did I call DP...no. So other opinions were not mine.
    i said he made a mistake otherwise it would have probably been a draw.
    we are both true Charlton Fans.
    nothing more to add, apart from LB will keep us up 👍👍
  • Options
    Poor game with a squad that has lacked quality all season, thank heavens we had a good start to the season. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    LenGlover said:
    Typical Millwall match.

We haven't got a forward line and the defence can't keep clean sheets all the time. I expended more energy than the Millwall goalkeeper walking to the fridge and back.

Now I'm locked in my living room for half an hour to top off the Millwall matchday experience.

There's been some shocking policing following Millwall games, but kettling a man in his own house takes the biscuit.