Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Millwall | Fri 03 Jul 2020| Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    Fine margins. We would have felt well pleased with a draw but it wasn't to be. In all honesty Millwall were better than us. We had our moments but their overall play was more solid than us, and they had the height which we just don't have. Our attacking options are limited and it showed today as it has in all the games since the restart. But Millwall were by far the best team out of that bunch, and they got their goal. 

What makes it worse of course is that it's Millwall. Let's move on. We still have a good chance of staying up. One thing's for sure - the next 2 or 3 weeks will be enjoyable/unbearable, whatever. Let's not leave it to the last game against Leeds. 
  • Options
    At least the games come thick and fast so we can quickly resolve nonsense like pretending Oshilaja is a left back or McGeady is a professional football player. 

We will never, ever, beat Millwall but we probably have three winnable games left, win two of them and we should be safe. 
  • Options
    Let’s not go down the we didn’t try route because we did. No player shirked it tonight or didn’t put the graft in. Don’t blame our strikers who struggled against three centre backs. Don’t put it on Bowyer who has more tactical nous and knowledge than we do.
    We had one player who would have revelled in those circumstances and would have loved putting it about against the three centre backs. 
    But he decided he couldn’t be arsed playing for us anymore.
    The most blame sits with him. Not those who decided we were worth playing for.

Well said, Sir!
  • Options
    Shambles of a set up.

No formation that players stuck to.

No pattern of play.

Players played out of position.

Players wildiy playing away from where they should be.

Complete tactical masterpiece of a mess. 

Lockyer putting in crosses on the right wing ffs.

Williams blindfolded could've done more than McGeady.

He never protected his full back once and exposed him constantly lost the ball in key areas. Should be benched now onwards.

How can we not play a left back at left back rather than a right footed player. Just ridiculous.

Morgan didn't know what he was supposed to do. 

Bonne and Aneke would struggle to get into Ebbsfleets side on tonight. Just are light years from this level.

Who scouted these players?? Laughable. 3 forwards that are barely Div 1 level.

The mentality for this game is a bloody joke. 
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    1968CAFC said:
    We played well 
    we did not take our changes 
    our Goalkeeper make a mistake.
    we deserved a point and I hope Lyle Taylor watched the game as he could have been a Charlton legend tonight instead of a huge disappointment.
    as always we have still got Lee Bowyer 👍👍👍

No way did we play well. Maybe we could have got away with a draw, but that wasn't a good performance. Some nonsense marks being given to Dillon for 1 mistake though
    We were playing our Bogie team who are pushing for the playoffs, without a top striker we played well
    our great championship level goal keeper had a mistake. simple and a fact.
    not an issue or a problem we start again.
    respectfully you should watch the game next time 👍👍👍
    1968 what game were you watching !!!
  • Options
    Avoided the result all day so I could watch on catchup. Wish I hadn’t bothered. We look so tentative in the final third. Bonne short on confidence. Hemed improving but needs to do more. Aneke looks clumsy. I love Sarr, but if you’re chucking him up front at the end it’s because you’ve run out of ideas. Even game overall in which we defended well and were unlucky to concede. Woefully short of creativity and goal threat though.

Oh, and, not my style to single out players, but McGeady is fucking shit. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well, when this match was announcd for TV coverage my comment was that I wasn't going to watch a game starting at 2:15 in the morning to witness the ritual defeat. How right I was. I did follow the last ten minutes on the match thread after the ding on my phonne told me that Millwall had scored.

From what I've seen of the "mini-season" so far and read on the thread it seems that we are OK defensively but are lacking up front. We need someone to play off Hemed, who is doing a job, but an out of touch Bonne is not the man. I don't think Green is up to scratch, though he should be itching to play well to get a contract somewhere next season, Chuks has looked decent in spells but I can't see him doing it for a whole game, which leaves Davison. Why not give him a go?

There are obviously issues with Williams, sadly; McGeady shows class at times then ruins it with a crap delivery or giving the ball away. I've liked what I've seen of Morgan in the last few games but what has happened with Oztumer? Apart from a place on the bench for the first game back he's just disappeared.

I thought JFC did very well at left wing back earlier in the season. If Bowyers not happy with Purrington for whatever reason there must be an option there.

I think Bowyer did a Curbs-style back to basics when the season resumed. It worked for a bit but it has stifled attacking play and we're not going to stay up without goals; it doesnt matter how many clean sheeets we keep. I hope Bowyer has an answer or, in the words of Private Fraser, "We're doomed!".
  • Options
    Our strike force just isn’t good enough for this division and that’s it. Stick Lyle and Grant up top and we win that game 3 or 4-1. Hemed and Bonne tried, but they’re simply not up to the Championship
    I thought he plays for Huddersfield.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    They sing you'll never beat millwall, to be fair they are probably right. 

Oh well back to the train station tomorrow. 

We really are cursed 
  • Options
    Still fuming.

Can't put it down to any individual. We missed some chances yet defended resolutely.
    We just never dictate the play in this fixture. They are always in control. I thought bringing Field on was a mistake and allowed them to get the territorial upper hand....again!

That said, our front pairings , whoever they will be, really need to get their heads in the right place. Continue in their current vain of form and we are right in the shit
  • Options
    What it really shows is how shit the Championship is this season. Two poor sides and we haven't got a striker worthy of that name.

Cows arse with a shovel comes to mind.
  • Options
    Went to bed in a mood, woke up in the same mood and I have to go off to work soon. Woe betide any ne’erdowell pissing me off today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The last season (1995/6) there was a double in this fixture . one side finished 6th and lost in the play off semi and the other side who had flirted with the top of the table got relegated 3rd bottom on 52 pts , just saying .
  • Options
    Where did the crowd noise come from on Sky last night?
    Didn’t we produce our own for the QPR fixture?
    last night I could hear Naby Sarr being sung and millwall millwall millwall millwall 
  • Options
    Having slept on it:

I thought we did ok against a strong, committed, well organised and occasionally skilful Millwall side.

Cullen showed why he is not playing for West Ham. He is too small and lightweight against big and strong opposition. He had been MOM in the last three games but was anonymous today.

Morgan will be a star, hopefully for us and almost certainly for someone else. He needs to add goals to his game but is fit, strong and has vision and skill. Other than Sarr, he is our best ball player.

I know this ship has sailed, but Taylor. He was our talisman and top scorer. He was also someone who could provide assists for others. I think we can rightfully feel let down by his attitude at this crucial point of the season as we are clearly struggling for goals without him. If every player said they didn’t want to play in case they got injured, you wouldn’t be able to fulfil your fixtures.

The difference between us and them was typified by their goal. When a loose ball fell to one of our defenders (Lockyer) he blazed it over the bar. For the goal, it was a powerful shot, low and on target. Dillon did well to get behind it but when the loose ball spilled, Cooper was more alert than Lockyer and even though he is a defender, he put the ball in the net with some force. I think it deflected in off Lockyer but it was there for all to see - if you shoot hard on target, you might get a goal.

Anticipation - what makes a good player is anticipating where the ball is going, where your teammates are, picking up the second ball. Most of our players seem poor at anticipating so Hemed knocks it on and Bonne has gone the wrong way. 

Bowyer/ Jackson - we play too deep, and how many times did we put ourselves in trouble with pointless short passes between defenders instead of knocking it forward?Why take a freekick just in their half and hit it back to Dillon, when we could have played the ball forward? We need to push up more and be more positive in our forward play.

Pearce and Pratley were immense last night with some vital interventions. But we need to stop making it so hard for ourselves. And LB and JJ need to get everyone practising their shots on goal.

Very good points, Evesham, and well said.  Another of our regular weaknesses evident again last night is the crapness of crosses. Under no pressure, Cullen, Matthews and McGeady got them badly wrong: over-hit or shanked out of play.  Compare and contrast with Millwall, whose crosses to the box were almost invariably loaded with danger. 
  • Options
    Scum mates mate had £10 each on Cooper last and first goal scorer 33-1 they both were ... 
    nice fella as well 

• Options
    Can't believe I stayed up til 6am for that. 

If we start scoring we will be alright. We are a competitive team and we are defending really well. 

There is absolutely no edge to our attacking play but we do grind out chances. We just don't take them.

It's always something with this team. When we're scoring goals, we're shipping them like mad. And when we're getting clean sheets, we couldn't score in a brothel. 

I hope LB had the team in for extra training this morning. Each player has to put 150 balls into the net. Hard. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:

I hope LB had the team in for extra training this morning. Each player has to put 150 balls into the net. Hard. 
    Might have to delay kick off on Tuesday.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Cullen does very well for us and I wish we could sign him but he's very right footed and can be ushered in one direction because he can't open out the other way quickly. If an opponent can close him, he can't find a decent forward ball to the left wing, unless its with the outside of his right foot (and he doesn't often try). So he takes more touches, while he finds the right angle. 

That and a lack of a good shot are his weaknesses. His attributes are many; attitude, fitness, physicality, awareness, unselfishness etc etc.  
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Useless c***s as per 
  • Options
    Fairly even game - the stats show that. 

The only time I have ever seen a lucky result against them was the 0-0 at the toolbox in 2012. Otherwise, as last night, any luck always goes their way.

With one thing and another, very depressed today.    

• Options
    I’ve wiped it from my memory already, haven’t got the energy to be arsed about that game now.

telling that not a single one of my Millwall mates has text me to gloat about the result....it’s just such a formality now

watch us nick a draw at Brentford 

still think we’ll just do enough to stay up...then come the summer whoever owns us is gonna have a rebuilding job on their hands - but there’s no one I’d rather have holding the purse strings than Steve Gallen...hopefully they’ll be some decent strikers knocking about looking for a club