Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Washington Redskins to change their name

A bit of a thorny issue for some on this side of the pond.
Quite a few major sports franchises here have names related to native Americans - examples being the Cleveland Indians and Atlanta Braves in baseball and the Kansas City Chiefs in NFL.
But the most controversial for many years has been my local NFL team, the Washington Redskins. They’ve been under intense pressure for years to change the name, but owner Daniel Snyder has always resisted - until now. 
One reason the Redskins have had more pressure than those other franchises is due to the perceived derogatory nature of the name. (On a lesser level, there are active groups campaigning for the Indians to change their name for similar reasons. The Chiefs and Braves are also under pressure, but it is significantly less intense, possibly due to their more positive names.)

It appears that the George Floyd incident and the raised focus on racism in recent weeks has ramped the pressure on the Redskins up further, with major sponsors, led by FedEx and PepsiCo threatening to withdraw funding if the team name remained unchanged. And the pressure has now resulted in Snyder having to concede defeat. A new name has not yet been announced, but there have been emotional reactions from those on both sides of the debate.

I know some of you lot like a bit of NFL, but even if you don’t - what are your thoughts on this?

Edit: For what it’s worth, my view is that they should’ve changed the name years ago and Snyder has been deliberately unreasonable and obnoxious about it. Why, I don’t know. I do know that he’ll be furious that he’s lost this battle.

CNN report:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/13/us/washington-redskins-nickname-change-spt/index.html

BBC report:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53390944

Local tv station gets views from fans:
https://www.wbaltv.com/article/redskins-fans-washington-nfl-team-mixed-reaction-name-change/33298417#

Fox reports on Trump’s opinion:

Comments

• Washington Redtails sounds good and has a good history.

Not going to post it but been a long running campaign to get the Cleveland Indians baseball team to change their logo.

Search New York Jews/San Francisco Chinaman logos to get the point.
  • edited July 2020
    Washington Redtails sounds good and has a good history.

Not going to post it but been a long running campaign to get the Cleveland Indians baseball team to change their logo.

Search New York Jews/San Francisco Chinaman logos to get the point.
    Yeah, the Indians have always been under similar pressure, but have always been able to (at least to an extent) dodge the spotlight due to the name “Redskins“ being a more obvious slur.
    It’s no surprise that the Indians are considering a name change too.

(And in an odd twist, I happen to be away from Washington at the moment - staying in a place near Lake Erie - about 15 miles from Cleveland!)
  • Get a sponsorship deal and call themselves the Washington Red Bulls...
  • Heard they want to go for Washington Redwolves but there’s some licensing issues with a college team.
  • edited July 2020
    When I heard on the news earlier that they were changing their name to fit in with modern views I assumed it was the reference to the racist colonial slave-owning Freemason traitor they were getting rid of.

• Yep.  Red lives matter n'all...
  • How about Washington Redcoats?
    Hi de hi !

• Sponsored links:

• Red Addicks?
  • surprised they are not under pressure to change the washington bit as well. As he was a big slave owner, but there again never let a fact get in the way of stupidity. 
  • How about the Washington Redbus after our mysterious former sponsor...

• Off_it said:
    When I heard on the news earlier that they were changing their name to fit in with modern views I assumed it was the reference to the racist colonial slave-owning Freemason traitor they were getting rid of.

Obama First Peoples? That would fuck up the birther movement.
  • The the Washington one is a no brainer, it should never have taken this long, and it wouldn’t have happened if the major sponsors hadn’t pushed it. 

Cleveland will be next, although I think it’s less about “Indians” and more about the logo which is just offensive. 

For the others, I’ll defer to Native Americans as to whether they feel Braves/Chiefs are offensive. But Atlanta need to get rid of the tomahawk chop. 

Blackhawks - that’s one for the tribe (Blackhawk was a chief, it’s not a tribe - I had to look it up, it’s not the Sac and Fox Nation). I know the story is the the ordinal owner named it after his military unit, but that ain’t no US Military figure on their jerseys. 

The Seminoles are happy for Florida State to use their name , and I think where it is specific the tribe should make that decision. 
  • There was an article in the Athletic last week that said the braves were discussing the idea of dropping the tomahawk chop but wouldn’t be considering a name change.

FWIW the Chiefs feature the tomahawk chop prominently in their pregame routine. I believe native Americans have asked them to stop.
  • Should change it to Foreskins, that'd be about appropriate for that franchise.

Didn't the Indians drop the highly offensive smiley faced Indian caricature (equivalent to a golliwog) from their logo and merchandise a couple of years ago now? 
  • Should change it to Foreskins, that'd be about appropriate for that franchise.

Didn't the Indians drop the highly offensive smiley faced Indian caricature (equivalent to a golliwog) from their logo and merchandise a couple of years ago now? 
    You are correct, I’d forgotten that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Seems the right thing to do. Respecting history includes acknowledging that just because it’s always been that way doesn’t mean it always has to be that way. 

Similar, although much less high profile, discussion going right now with my local CFL team the Edmonton Eskimos. Sus pect we are heading towards a similar decision and the name will he changed, probably rightly so. 

It’s been going on for a while, but being Canada it’s a less partisan debate than south of the border. 

• William White English colonist writing of his time in camp with the Quioughcohannock Indians. (1607)

Conditions in the camp were challenging.The cold was 'extreme sharp', and a freezing north west wind whipped through the makeshift dwellings. The Indians seemed unaffected, claiming that their red body paint , made of the root pocone mixed with oil made them impervious ( this not their  natural complexion, was the reason they became known as red Indians). 

From the book Savage Kingdom, Virginia and the founding of English America. Well worth a read.
  • William White English colonist writing of his time in camp with the Quioughcohannock Indians. (1607)

Conditions in the camp were challenging.The cold was 'extreme sharp', and a freezing north west wind whipped through the makeshift dwellings. The Indians seemed unaffected, claiming that their red body paint , made of the root pocone mixed with oil made them impervious ( this not their  natural complexion, was the reason they became known as red Indians). 

From the book Savage Kingdom, Virginia and the founding of English America. Well worth a read.
    Solved! They should change their name to the Washington Slaps  ;)

Solved! They should change their name to the Washington Slaps  ;)
     :o 
  • I note the Dixie Chicks are now The Chicks.  That's still offensive though, according to a bird I used to go out with. 
  • Washington has had problems with its sports team names. The NBA team 'the Wizards' was originally 'the Bullets' but the name was altered due to a high murder rate in the Capital. Could be the Washington Washouts lol .. I'll go for the 'Washington Capitals'