Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

egypt Holidays ??

Any of you lifers been to Egypt , in particular Marsa Alam ??
Thinking of going early June.

Comments

• MCSMCS
    edited January 2007
    dont do it! its a hole, this exactly the advice i gave to my birds brother, who chose it for honeymoon, and they regretted it.
  • Oh well, that's that idea out of the window.
  • [cite]Posted By: 04 MCS[/cite]dont do it! its a hole, this exactly the advice i gave to my birds brother, who chose it for honeymoon, and they regretted it.
    why do you always ruin people's planned trips away??

First Paris and now Egypt!
  • lol, sorry, ask me about barcalona, banff or anywhere in California and my answers will be better!
  • Went to Sharm el Sheikh with my missus last year around May time and had a quality week. Went all inclusive though as you just get harassed if you go out in the town. Stayed at the hilton sharks bay.
  • Thats the point i am makin, if ya ok with stayin in your hotel complex then great do it, but you cant go out without being harrased by geezers offering you camals in exchange for your bird! I mean ffs who would do that ;-) I would take good money but what am i sposed to do with a fookin camal!
  • Thanks for your advice Judith 04MCS!!!!!!
    Chris, was thinking of all inclusive, worth a go then?
  • 04 is just a miserable sod!!

I am going with the missus and another couple first week in june to a lovely 5* all incl place in makadi bay.
  • MCSMCS
    edited January 2007
    The length and breadth of this thread is that i aint even ever been to egypt lol! Nor do i want to!

ps mortain, i forgot you lot were going!

Didnt mean to piss on the fire, like you say i am a miz ogg!
  • edited January 2007
    I'm surprised o4mcs has made it abroad at all considering he can't even get a train to London bridge without getting severely disorientated.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: 04 MCS[/cite]Thats the point i am makin, if ya ok with stayin in your hotel complex then great do it, but you cant go out without being harrased by geezers offering you camals in exchange for your bird! I mean ffs who would do that ;-) I would take good money but what am i sposed to do with a fookin camal!

Smoke it?
  • i went to Taba Heights. Went with a mate, there's not much to do there which is exactly why we booked it. Its a good place to go if you're into diving/snorkelling but not if you're looking for action nightlife. Very peaceful and relaxing.
  • Went, but it was a good few years ago, cruised up the Nile, then took in Cairo.

Had a fantastic time. People were friendly and as long as you can handle the odd beggar and the constant harrasment of traders trying to sell you stuff as soon as you step off the ship or out of the hotel, then you'll have a great time.

Personally I loved all that, but if you don't, just ignore them and they'll go away, but as soon as you say 'no', they think you're entering in to a sales negotiation and then you can't get rid of them.

Is it safe, well where is?

Can't wait to go back.
  • Is it safe?

I would rather holiday in peckham! lol
  • [cite]Posted By: Glass half empty[/cite]Thanks for your advice Judith 04MCS!!!!!!
    Chris, was thinking of all inclusive, worth a go then?

Definitely. Hilton Sharks bay was recommended to us and we enjoyed it. A few different restaurants so you weren't eating the same every night. Food was actually really good. Went on a couple of day trips. Definitely go diving/snorkelling.
    If you go out to the town you just get harrassed to go in shops or people want to buy your bird. Plus it's all KFC, pizza hut, burger king down in the town.
  • I had a great time in El Gouna last year, it's a gated community so no hastle from local urchins... really nice place. i was very impressed with it especially for the money.
  • i think you get people like that everywhere you go, its because some tourists find it a novelty so they can keep on doing it. same as people that feed pigeons!

we went to rome last feb and got hassled by those people who will sell you their own clothes if you let them. we got ripped off within 1/2 hour of arriving, but once you get the knack of ignoring them it was fine.

when it was sunny we were offered glasses, when it rained the same people offered unbrellas. it was all ok till we were queuing up for the sistine chapel and les got offered an umbrella and snapped as he'd been asked 47 times already. the little man scurried off frightened by his outburst. hehe
  • I've been to Marsa twice. Still very new , nothing much outside the hotels, nearest town was El Qusir about 30 mins drive. Great snorkelling and diving but not a lot else unless you take a trip to Luxor. If you do go to Luxor spend a couple of days there, it's great.

BTW have you seen tripadvisor?
  • 04mcs is the resident charlton life tripadvisor it seems :-)
  • what is a tripe advisor doodette??
  • Sponsored links:

• Will try trip advisor in the morning, Cheers!
  • Been to Sharm a couple of times it's fine...... stayed at the Hilton Sharks Bay last October all inc. good decent hotel.... the centre of town is a lot better than it used to be for harrassement and the restaurants and bars are quite cheap.... take euros or egyptian currency as they dont like us dollars so much now. Hopefully going to the Hilton sharks bay again in April/May.
  • Im thinking of going at the end of the season - want to spend half of it in Sharm and the other in either Cario or Luxor - havent been able to make up my mind yet
  • I've got a trip planned for May this year, hopefully things will have settled down by then.

Anyone just back from Egypt give a report on how things are in the holiday areas at the moment
  • News was saying places like Sham El-Sheik were okay at the moment but there was increased security. Probably more threat from the sharks!

FCO are saying no non essential travel to major cities such as Cairo.
  • Cheers Clem. I know of at least one lifer who is due to go out to Sharm soon, hope things are OK
  • We booked up to go to Sham-el-Shiek in June,since then the proverbial has hit the fan.Does one need to invest in an AK47?
  • Went to Sharm last week- had a brilliant holiday. The complexes have everything and are so big (I went to holiday village) that you dont need to go out. As other posts say, be prepared to get harrased if you go out. There is one shopping mall where they have a no harrasment policy but cant remember what it is called - got an american name if i remember correctly. From what i could see Sharm doesn't really have many natives living there as its just a holiday resort carved out of the desert and all the staff come from cairo and alexandria etc, so the threat of mass demos is very small which is why i expect the foreign office have deemed it safe. The entry roads to the resort is guarded by armed police following bin ladens bombings a few years back and all hotels have big gates and good security. It is a lovely place and you will have a great time.
  • Went last year to Hilton sharks bay. Was ok but I can think of other places I would spend my money on. Dirty money, dirty people outside the hotel, chicken sausages for breakfast. Got the brad pitts and spent a whole day in my room chucking up.

Positives though are the snorkeling & quad biking through the desert. But give me Cyprus, canary islands etc any day over egypt
  • Went to Alexandria and Cairo in 1976, aged 16. Loved it, very exciting. Was actually thinking of going in a couple of weeks, then they decided to have a revolution! I was still gonna go until yesterday when travel advice changed to "don't go, get out if you're there". Good for them, but really, such inconsiderate timing! Don't they know who I am?