Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Options
    Jeez that race brightened up for those last few laps!!

Am shocked that Mercedes didnt pit Hamilton after Red Bull brought in Verstappen
    This was the surprising bit for me. Once Verstappen was in, I’m not sure why Mercedes didn’t play it safe.
  • Options

Am shocked that Mercedes didnt pit Hamilton after Red Bull brought in Verstappen
    This was the surprising bit for me. Once Verstappen was in, I’mThey did not sure why Mercedes didn’t play it safe.
    They did. The tyres were clearly falling off a cliff in terms of stability. Verstappen said his tyres were not in a good way so it was the right decision to come in. You would need a crystal ball to do it differently.
  • Options
    Hamilton has a 30 point lead now. That is five races he can afford to come second to Bottas in before that is clawed back. If he avoids mechanical problems, he is in an incredible position in terms of the title.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

This was the surprising bit for me. Once Verstappen was in, I’m not sure why Mercedes didn’t play it safe.
    They did. The tyres were clearly falling off a cliff in terms of stability. Verstappen said his tyres were not in a good way so it was the right decision to come in. You would need a crystal ball to do it differently.
    I was talking about Mercedes, not Redbull. Once Verstappen had pitted, Hamilton then had enough time to pit for the last lap, but Mercedes chose not to. There was no reason for them to take the risk they did on the final lap.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    True but Bottas and Sainz were complaining of vibrations and had visible damage before their left front went whereas Hamilton's tyres were apparently ok. Going into the pits ran the risk of a different sort of problem. Mercedes thought they were ok as Hamilton was driving conservatively in Tyre preservation mode.

It will be interesting to see what Pirelli do next week. Silverstone is tough on tyres as we have seen before.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    It was good while it lasted at the top of the league, I forgot to swap perez out and the sainz puncture will mean my points haul will be minimum. 

Absolutely mad race
  • Options
    True but Bottas and Sainz were complaining of vibrations and had visible damage before their left front went whereas Hamilton's tyres were apparently ok. Going into the pits ran the risk of a different sort of problem. Mercedes thought they were ok as Hamilton was driving conservatively in Tyre preservation mode.

It will be interesting to see what Pirelli do next week. Silverstone is tough on tyres as we have seen before.
    Yeah, I take your point and I agree that Bottas was complaining more than Hamilton and in theory Hamilton may have been protecting his tyres more.
    However, he did report a blistered tyre pretty early on, so they surely knew he was in some danger. For the same reason that you stated earlier for Verstappen pitting, Hamilton ought to have come in. The risk of tyres puncturing in this case wasn’t an issue that they could’ve seen gradually creeping up on them - it’s something they could see was a potential danger, but could happen suddenly with no obvious urgent warning (as demonstrated by the timing of Bottas’ situation - if he’d even had 20 seconds warning, he would’ve had time to pit)
    The risks of pitting for Hamilton would’ve been minimal, especially in these days of efficient choreographed stops, so I disagree that staying out was the right move, but at the end of the day he won, so staying out obviously was correct!

We’re both right.
    😎
  • Options
    Yes, it was one of those calls that is right if you win. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What is interesting is that Pirelli purposely don't make perfect tyres. When tyre companies competed against each other they had to make the best tyres they could, but the aim now is to make racing more interesting by adding options and variables. Having said that, it is not great for Pirelli to have tyres failing within a high profile Grand Prix. It may be damage on the track that caused the problem, but they will not want this happening again next week.
  • Options
    Thought the tyre issues made for some of the only interest in the British GP after the two safety cars put hard tyre to finish as an option.

Even that interest was only there because of the need to manage the hard v med v soft with the cars and their race pace and wear.

that said, if the Pirelli’s on my ordinary car delaminate in the motorway I’ll be pretty pissed off and it’s not a great advert is it?
  • Options
    That’s insane. Most people wouldn’t even be able to drive a modern F1 car round a corner without spinning, let alone do that kind of speed on 3 wheels. 
  • Options
    That’s insane. Most people wouldn’t even be able to drive a modern F1 car round a corner without spinning, let alone do that kind of speed on 3 wheels. 
    Yeah, but he can only do that because he has the best car! 
  • Options
    Just treated myself to tickets for the British GP next year in the Woodcote grandstand. Managed to get aisle seats which makes going for a piss a lot easier, very important at my age.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Pirelli have said that the issues were that the tyres were used for too many laps. It will be interesting how teams respond to this for the next race. Can Pirelli impose a maximum number of laps on a tyre for safety reasons or can it only be a guide?

Mercedes could adopt a two stop. But then Red Bull may see a one stop as a great way of beating them, so do Mercedes accept that or go for another one stop themselves but go later. But then if there is an early safety car like last week? Maybe history could repeat itself!
  • Options
    Pirelli have said that the issues were that the tyres were used for too many laps. It will be interesting how teams respond to this for the next race. Can Pirelli impose a maximum number of laps on a tyre for safety reasons or can it only be a guide?

Mercedes could adopt a two stop. But then Red Bull may see a one stop as a great way of beating them, so do Mercedes accept that or go for another one stop themselves but go later. But then if there is an early safety car like last week? Maybe history could repeat itself!
    I think I read this weekend that the available tyres will be softer and temperatures hotter so hope that forces everyone to 2 stop
  • Options
    Yeah the softer tyres and hotter temps should force everyone onto a 2 stop , even with a couple of Safety Cars thrown in. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I feel a bit for Bottas. The tyre issue really buggered him up and didn't hurt Hamilton at all. Seeing as reliability is pretty good nowadays, a fair development may be that drivers can ditch their two worst results. A DNF is incredibly significant to those fighting at the top as it stands.
  • Options
    I'd expect some kind of answer to the whole Racing Point Vs Renault case today too. Stewards were meeting this morning.
  • Options
    I also hope they get to grips with the appalling amount of time it took to clear the two vehicles that spun off into the gravel.
  • Options
    I also hope they get to grips with the appalling amount of time it took to clear the two vehicles that spun off into the gravel.
    This is always going to be the case when there is less stewards than normal, more protocols to adhere to and strict social distancing guidelines all to take into consideration on top of the usual driver safety procedures when there's a big off
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    400k fine and 15 point deduction for Racing Point 

https://www.fia.com/news/f1-renault-protest-decision
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    From next season though right?
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    From next season though right?
    Oddly unlike the EFL , the FIA are applying this immediately ;) 
  • Options
    Great to see the F1 bubble system works, no one leaves the track unauthorised!!
    tonight I had 

table x6 Williams 
    2xtables 4 Ferrari
    table x 5 racing point
    2 x tables 5 JCB
    around 15 different people in from sky! 
  • Options
    Brilliant race today dominated by strategy. Remembered why I love the sport.
  • Options
    Brilliant race today dominated by strategy. Remembered why I love the sport.
    As much as I love seeing British drivers win & do well, I’ve got a lot of time for Max Verstappen. Will surely be a WC before too long.