Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How much did your first (legal) pint cost?

I remember paying 20p a pint.

Comments

• I reckon about £2.40 in The Orange Tree Dartford, circa 2003. Was the only place we could get in.
  • Couldn't remember but checking online it would have been around £0.14 in 1973. Blooming heck, a round of 6 pints and you would still get change back from £1.
  • Can't remember tbh. I can say that the first time I went into a pub & had a pint was on my first day at work in 1983. I was 16 & was taken there by my new work colleagues for lunch. The Hercules Pillars nr Covent Garden. I most likely bought my first pint there & I have a feeling it was around £1.
  • Remember thinking that for the £4 UCCA fee you could buy five pints of Guinness, so that's what I did.
    Would have been 1981 I think.
  • Not sure about my first legal pint but the first pub I drank in was The Woodman at Blackfen around '84.

It was under a pound and the snug bar was a penny or 2 cheaper.

I worked at Lloyds Blackfen and the guvnor knew the bank manager well. The 6 o'clock show filmed an article there about a raspberry blowing contest (very high brow) and whilst the pub was closed for the night, they needed a few people in there to make it look realistic.

A few of us went there after work and when the filming started, me and one of the girls got to the front and there I was, 16, pint in hand, pissed and on national TV.

• First pub I went to regularly as a teenager was Ye Olde Black Horse in Sidcup. It was around 1997, if I remember correctly a pint of lager was £1.60(ish).
  • Can't remember either, but what I do remember is being in The Crossways with my first girlfriend and seeing Colin Powell come in. I would have been sixteen, I went over and offered to buy him a pint (which he kindly refused).
  • 2s and 4d.

Christ!  I'm old.
  • 13 1/2p. The Pineapple at the Elephant and Castle. Watneys Special Bitter. Dreadful beer but I didn't know any better at that time.

It was over a year later when I got charged 50p for four pints in a pub in Cornwall. "How much?" I exclaimed. "Sorry but the prices went up last week" the barmaid explained!

• edited September 2020
    £1.16 (Fosters) in 1988.

Went up shortly after to £1.18, which I thought was a piss take.

Edit, this was a slightly underage pint. First legal pint (1990) was a few pence more. An Irish pub opposite the office where I worked. I had been drinking in there with all the alcoholic managers for a year - the landlady pretended to raise an eyebrow when she realised it was my 18th.
  • Sponsored links:

• RedPanda said:
    I reckon about £2.40 in The Orange Tree Dartford, circa 2003. Was the only place we could get in.
    funnily enough I suspect my first was in Orange Tree but would have been 1971 (if you're talking legal). first pint would have been below 2 bob, maybe 1 sh 10d, less than 5p
  • 25p the star in the dip at plumstead
  • about £2 in the Banker's draft in Eltham
  • Sorry that was illegal age
  • Too drunk on my 18 to remember 1978 light n bitter woodman Wickham lane
  • 1/10d in The Star at Woolwich (under 5p). My father shrewdly offered me Forest Brown Ale as a teenager. It was almost undrinkable and convinced me for a while that beer was not for me. I got into the school 1st team cricket team at 15. At nets, I was told that everyone had to go for a pint after a school cricket game. I decided to have a pint on my own before my debut to check that I would be able to drink it OK. Sure enough, The Star had no qualms in serving me and it seemed OKish. I never looked back really. Although if I'm honest, I rarely drink beer these days; wine seems to do it for me nowadays.
  • I can't remember how much the pint was but do remember it was when in the 6th form at Chis & Sid in 1976 as we used to spend most lunchtimes in the Old Black Horse in Halfway Street drinking and playing darts - ties off of course so as not to link us to the School albeit that, in those days, landlords weren't quite so concerned about the age of their customers!
  • 58p in The Pheasant, North Heath 1984.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2020
    Heineken refreshes the parts other beers can't reach...

My first legal pint May 1985 87p
  • I can't remember the price.......but the first legal pint purchase would have been in the Way Tyler on the Ferrier Estate in 1988.

Can anyone beat that in terms of biggest shit-hole where first legal pint was purchased?
  • First pint I bought was in the Union Tavern, Woolwich, in 1973 when I was 16 - light and bitter - 15p or thereabouts. The Union was my local (Woolwich Poly!).
    My first legal pint in 1975 (again light and bitter) was around 20p - Rose of Denmark!
  • I cannot remember how much my first pint cost.

Not being the tallest of guys, when I started drinking around '85 I was always expecting to get asked for ID.  The only time this happened was in The Swan and Sugarloaf in South Croydon.  We walked in and was asked for ID, this we did not have.  The barman apologised and said there had been a punch up the previous week and were vetting people coming in.

I always thought the palice pricks could not hold their drink.
  • 1995 pint of Fosters 98p. Used to always be an old fella in the pub everytime I went. When the price of a pint went above a £1 he was never seen again

• edited September 2020
    Not sure on price but my first pint would have been in the Queens pub over at Upton Park, age 15, I think for the 3-0 Pompey win in Sept 91. 

First time going to the bar and ordering myself would have been a few weeks later in the Forresters Arms Welling with another Charlton mate (Pat Sharpe)

First legal pint would have been 3 years later in Moon & Sixpence Welling
  • Something around the £1.80-£2 mark at a guess.

Was in The Yacht on Long Lane in Bexleyheath.
  • Think mine was a quid from a entrepreneur who was selling pint cans from a dustbin filled with ice at Notting hill carnival.

In a pub I would of guessed it would of been £1.80 or something like that cos I know that I used get change from 2 pounds.
  • £1.75 for a Carling (I had a lot to learn) in the Cutty Sark in Greenwich in 1992.
  • Not sure on price but my first pint would have been in the Queens pub over a time Upton Park, age 15, I think for the 3-0 Pompey win in Sept 91. 

First time going to the bar and ordering myself would have been a few weeks later in the Forresters Arms Welling

First legal pint would have been 3 years later in Moon & Sixpence Welling

I got served in the moon when I was 16.   Cracking place for under-age drinkers that was!