Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How Likely Are You To Take The Covid Vaccine?

Comments

• Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    This is priceless.

For those who have chosen anything other than 'Very Likely' (and I note that 'Definitely' was not an option) ... you do realise that Covid-19 is a killer, don't you?

Maybe you ... or maybe not you ... but maybe your family.  Or a stranger who may have lived if you had been less selfish.

For God's sake ... thousands of people are performing miracles to give you this benefit.  This lifeline back to a more normal life ... and you decline.

Unbelievable.
    Exactly.
  • Options
    What's actually in the vaccine? Any animal substances?

My concern too @thewolfboy From what I’ve read it appears that due to the urgency of the situation testing on animals is being skipped. Can’t seem to find any info regards animal derivatives in the vaccine itself. 
    This article from PETA gives more detail.

https://www.peta.org/blog/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine-non-animal-tests/
    I'd forgotten about vegan/vegatarian antivaxxers. How did they get on with smallpox?
  • Options
    edited November 2020

My concern too @thewolfboy From what I’ve read it appears that due to the urgency of the situation testing on animals is being skipped. Can’t seem to find any info regards animal derivatives in the vaccine itself. 

Animal testing is part of pre-clinical development and absolutely has to be done before phase one of clinical trials (small number of people). Animal testing has been done for all covid-19 vaccines being developed, otherwise they would not be able to advance to human testing.

In my experience PETA mean well but play pretty fast and loose with the truth if it supports the message they're trying to put across. 

Pork gelatin and egg protein and the only animal derivatives used in vaccines that I know of but we probably won't know for the Pfizer one for a while due to the risk of imitation. 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Euell_Do said:

Animal testing is part of pre-clinical development and absolutely has to be done before phase one of clinical trials (small number of people). Animal testing has been done for all covid-19 vaccines being developed, otherwise they would not be able to advance to human testing.

In my experience PETA mean well but play pretty fast and loose with the truth if it supports the message they're trying to put across. 
    I don't want to get into animal testing here ... I'll leave that to the professionals (irony).

But let's be clear.  PETA claim that the rapid development of the Covid-19 vaccine has bypassed the usual animal testing and that, therefore, "the results yielded by tests on animals are not necessary".

This, of course, is spot on.  But it comes at a price.  If you eliminate animal testing by rapid development, the increased risk has to be absorbed in another way.

Luckily, we have a huge cohort of human volunteers (that's ... volunteers) who have been prepared to take that risk on behalf of mankind.  On behalf of you.

So, without the benefits and assurances of animal testing, a large number of people have volunteered to take the risk on your behalf to bring a vaccine to market for the benefit of everyone.

Still unsure?   Still ungrateful?
    Still unsure. Not ungrateful.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Euell_Do said:

I don't want to get into animal testing here ... I'll leave that to the professionals (irony).

But let's be clear.  PETA claim that the rapid development of the Covid-19 vaccine has bypassed the usual animal testing and that, therefore, "the results yielded by tests on animals are not necessary".

This, of course, is spot on.  But it comes at a price.  If you eliminate animal testing by rapid development, the increased risk has to be absorbed in another way.

Luckily, we have a huge cohort of human volunteers (that's ... volunteers) who have been prepared to take that risk on behalf of mankind.  On behalf of you.

So, without the benefits and assurances of animal testing, a large number of people have volunteered to take the risk on your behalf to bring a vaccine to market for the benefit of everyone.

Behave yourself. Where in my post have I stated I was ungrateful to human volunteers? 
  • Options

I'd forgotten about vegan/vegatarian antivaxxers. How did they get on with smallpox?

Sorry, I haven’t stated that I’m an antivaxxer, I simply posted a link in answer to a question by thewolfboy. Not sure why you’re being so pissy with your contribution.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Euell_Do said:

Pork gelatin and egg protein and the only animal derivatives used in vaccines that I know of but we probably won't know for the Pfizer one for a while due to the risk of imitation. 
    Why would anyone care if there were animal derivatives in a vaccine if it's effective and saves lives? 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Euell_Do said:

Behave yourself. Where in my post have I stated I was ungrateful to human volunteers? 
    You raise a 'concern' that animal testing is being skipped.  You can't have that without dismissing the sacrifice that others are making on your behalf.

Let's leave it there.  I've explained the situation.  You choose how you want to react to it.
  • Options
    I am not sure they would have tested this MRNA vaccine on animals anyway. The recoding of generic information in cells to stimulate a response and the production of antibodies would be specific to human cells I would have thought?
    The theory and practice has already been proven which is why it is quicker and safer to produce. The difficult part has been done with identifying exactly what you need the cells to do to get them to produce antigens that will be recognised and it will be unique to this virus. How long it will stay in the body is apparently a big thing, but I read somewhere that there is a U.K. University that has been able to invent a way of testing if the antigens are still there over time, and the results so far are very good.
    I think the fact that they will not be pumping an inactivated virus into you like they do with the flu one is a good thing as I think many will be happier about.

The really exciting thing is what I said earlier, this could be the start of really attacking cancer.
  • Options
    Euell_Do said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Euell_Do said:

Just to be clear, PETA are wrong on this. The animal testing phase of preclinical trials has been accelerated, not skipped. Animal testing is a grizzly but unfortunately necessary stage of every drug or vaccine development. 

Animal testing results for the Pfizer vaccine were published back in September: https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-announce-data-preclinical-studies-mrna
    Animals will benefit from the process as well.
  • Options
    Euell_Do said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Euell_Do said:

Just to be clear, PETA are wrong on this. The animal testing phase of preclinical trials has been accelerated, not skipped. Animal testing is a grizzly but unfortunately necessary stage of every drug or vaccine development. 

Animal testing results for the Pfizer vaccine were published back in September: https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-announce-data-preclinical-studies-mrna
    *sighs*

OK ... "If you eliminate some of the animal testing ... "
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Euell_Do said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Euell_Do said:

Animals will benefit from the process as well.
    Millwall will not lose any fans then.
  • Options
    Absolutely. No question whatsoever. 
  • Options
    Euell_Do said:

Why would anyone care if there were animal derivatives in a vaccine if it's effective and saves lives? 
    Agreed, it’s not like it’s tested on the family dog!

I knew someone in my youth who worked on cancer research and the mice were bred purely to be tested on

just like everyone’s chicken they had with their roast was bred purely for man kind to eat. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have no issues with vaccines in general. I'm looking forward to a safe, workable Covid-19 vaccine hitting a surgery near me.

I'm not convinced yet about the Pfizer product. 

All we have to date is Trump bigging it up for his own purposes and Pfizer giving us a press conference bigging up their own product that understandably raises the company value. This link isn't a good look and undermines the integrity of those running the company https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/6d494c88-f971-481d-90d2-4e678155209e

Most importantly this vaccine using new techniques has yet to be peer reviewed.

I don't want to put anyone off going for it, I just think we are not there yet and question why Pfizer have jumped the gun. 
  • Options
    Yes, no question.
    Apart from the under 30's, the only people I know that don't want it are the people that believe in the Illuminati, man didn't land on the moon etc etc, as one might expect.
    We'll get more than enough people vaccinated to protect everyone, but I still think it'll be late summer/autumn before we get to some sort of pre covid normality.
    Could turn out to be a way to speed up Darwinism...  ;)

Anyone who refused to wear a mask should be bottom of the pile.   :o
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Saw a thing on the news where there were 11 different categories of people , ie over 80’s etc, who would qualify for a vaccine.

1 being the group who would get it first, 11 being the least likely,(and I don’t think 11 had children or teenagers in it)

I was in group 10 and as there’s not enough being produced to start with, unlikely to get it anyway so all a bit irrelevant at the moment.

I really hope this one is successful, but am not holding my breath as it takes years to get clearance for drugs In normal times, and we don’t know side effects, how effective it is, and how long it lasts.

In 10 years time we’ll have a good idea of what works and what doesn’t work as well, if I’m still around I’ll probably try one then.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    6. Very likely, but once its been around for a couple years. Certainly not until we've had another child, Mrs is of the same opinion. 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    This is priceless.

For those who have chosen anything other than 'Very Likely' (and I note that 'Definitely' was not an option) ... you do realise that Covid-19 is a killer, don't you?

Maybe you ... or maybe not you ... but maybe your family.  Or a stranger who may have lived if you had been less selfish.

For God's sake ... thousands of people are performing miracles to give you this benefit.  This lifeline back to a more normal life ... and you decline.

Unbelievable.
    Quiet the preach there
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    JaShea99 said:
    I don’t understand the “will wait til I know it’s safe” comments. Do people who say things like this not understand how many steps and trials a vaccine (let alone this one) has to go through before it’s even considered ready to be administered?

JaShea99 said:
    I don’t understand the “will wait til I know it’s safe” comments. Do people who say things like this not understand how many steps and trials a vaccine (let alone this one) has to go through before it’s even considered ready to be administered?
    Thats great,  but what are the medium to long term side effects? No amount of 6 month trials can predict that.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    JaShea99 said:

JaShea99 said:
    Thats great,  but what are the medium to long term sode effects? No amount of 6 month trials can predict that.
    What side effects are you expecting? How would these develop?
    I ask as one of the problems is that antibodies kill the new ‘pretend’ cells quite quickly and before the body has produced sufficient antibodies to protect, hence the booster is required. The ‘pretend’ cells are just that and do not have any abilities other than to play chemical ‘tag’ with other cells and get them to pretend to be the virus as well.
  • Options
    No brainer. Absolutely yes.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    shine166 said:
    JaShea99 said:

JaShea99 said:
    Thats great,  but what are the medium to long term sode effects? No amount of 6 month trials can predict that.
    What side effects are you expecting? How would these develop?
    I ask as one of the problems is that antibodies kill the new ‘pretend’ cells quite quickly and before the body has produced sufficient antibodies to protect, hence the booster is required. The ‘pretend’ cells are just that and do not have any abilities other than to play chemical ‘tag’ with other cells and get them to pretend to be the virus as well.
    I've got no idea, but the swine flu vaccine gave some people narcolepsy and others brain damage. I'm 37, so in a lower risk category and my older more at risk family would I presume be on the list pretty high up.

I very much doubt my age group with relatively good health, will be offered the vaccine for a couple of years anyway due to the amount that can be ordered. 

I'm no anti vaxer, but my child wont be getting a jab thats been around for 6 months either.