Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• Not too healthy for the grass fed animal though Dazzler. Pretty much deadly for them.
    Undeniably so. A big part of me not wanting to eat them again! 

Not eaten beef for many months and chicken for over a month. 

I did try some Turkey Christmas day and was reminded that it tastes crap. 
  • Never liked turkey when I ate meat, I found it far too dry and a bit of a challenge to swallow. Maybe my mum wasn’t that good a chef though...

Two months away from my 24 year anniversary of not eating meat or fish and don’t miss it. At all. I dread to think how my body would react if I ingested it now. Just wish it hadn’t taken me so long to ditch dairy and eggs but it’ll be five years at the end of the month.
  • You are a good source @AddickUpNorth both for information on the nations network of robbers, rapists and serial killers and I like how you explain your choice. 

I did about 7 months vegetarian, almost vegan but cheese has me by the nutbag. The first lockdown put pay to staying that way as the meat in the freezer needed to be made use of and then a lack of willpower crept in when barbecue season came round. I had only been eating good quality meat, organic and expensive which I'm fine with, if I'm going to sponsor animals being killed for my consumption at least they got tickled and ate well, weren't pumped full of antibiotics etc. Unwittingly I've been vegetarian this year so far again as we have not gotten any meat in and have just gotten on with vegetable ramen, stir fry, mushroom risotto and an excellent bean chilli. No milk in and been using the almond UHT stuff which is fine for me but my wife is clucking for tea with cows milk in. Cheese is again my nemesis as I've got tons of it from Christmas and I really like it. 

Depending on how my employment status plays out I will either have to go budget with food shopping which will be a vegetarian diet even vegan if I can kick the cheese habit 
  • Like I’ve said before @Carter I’m not naive enough to ever believe that I’ll see an entirely vegan world in my lifetime but it sounds like you’re doing as much as suits you personally to adopt a plant based lifestyle. The cheese thing I get as it was the last thing that went for me, I loved extra mature cheddar, brie, feta and halloumi and tried to convince myself that there was no real harm in having it but I reached the point that I could no longer ignore the voice in my head that told me otherwise. As my reason for giving up meat was for the animals so too was it the reason I could no longer ignore the suffering of the animals that produced the cheese. Initially I did really miss it especially halloumi on barbecue days but after a while my cravings went away. I’m sure I read an article that explained eating cheese triggers a pleasure receptor in the brain and much like giving up things like cigarettes and alcohol some people are susceptible to withdrawal symptoms. I’ll try and find it and post it when I have the time. These days though I don’t really even bother with the vegan cheeses mostly because I don’t find many of them that appealing.

As for the cost issue it really is a fallacy that going vegan is expensive. Sure, if you buy a lot of the newer products like fake meats and stuff the bill mounts up but fruits, veggies, beans and pulses really aren’t that expensive and certainly way cheaper than most organic and better cuts of meat. You don’t strike me as being the kind of gent who would settle for ‘ten sausages for a quid’ end of the meat range which to be fair, no one should if they really care about their health.

Keep on doing what you’re doing as it seems you’re doing more than most are prepared to and I tip my hat to you. If you want any advice on anything, like products, YouTube vegan cooking channels etc I’ll do my best to help you out mate.

Now, I’m off to look after the nations ne’erdowells, some of whom I’d gladly see go through a mincer.
  • As if life wasn't fun enough already I've embarked on Dry Veganuary!

My wife is vegan as I do most of the cooking I've actually been mostly vegan for a year or so anyway. I think "flexitarian" is probably the official classification which I know is a bit of a cop out. But I've lost a stone and a half since May last year going from 12st to 10.5st by being around 80-90% vegan.

Beans and chickpeas are brilliant and I've turned jackfruit into pulled pork and a roast dinner. Have to say I can't stand Quorn but of substitute products the This Isn't Chicken nuggets are very good. And Beyond Burger so close to real thing to make no difference
  • Sure this has been asked before, but what milk would you vegans recommend for:

1. Cold with Tea / coffee
    2. Cold with cereal
    3. Hot with Porridge oats

cheers
  • edited January 2021
    Sure this has been asked before, but what milk would you vegans recommend for:

2. Cold with cereal

cheers
    Really depends on your personal taste. I use coconut milk for everything (KoKo is the brand). But I know a few people who prefer oat milk for tea and coffee, as it's a lot more creamy - closer to cow's milk. 
  • Oat milk is great with porridge (better than cows milk I think) and fine in tea/coffee. No idea on cereal though I'm afraid. 
  • I use Bonsoy I'm not sure if that is just an Aussie brand, use the steam wand on the coffee machine and it comes it really good. 

• Unsweetened almond milk is what I use for porridge, wish I'd used it years ago too
  • Sponsored links:

• I use oat, have done for about a year.

I haven't tried coconut yet, but none of the others remind me of milk. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I use oat, have done for about a year.

I haven't tried coconut yet, but none of the others remind me of milk. 
    For me I’m glad not to be reminded of milk! I just like the taste of the coconut milk.
  • Not a Vegan/Vegetarian but oat milk would be my choice, honestly don’t think I could tell the difference in an “iced” coffee  
  • Used to drink sweetened soya years ago when I was trying to cut down on dairy, but we get oat milk in our house these days... and loads of cow’s milk also.

• Oat milk is the one.
  • Cheers all, might give a bash
  • I've never found an alternative to milk that works well in tea or coffee or porridge - they're all varying degrees of vile. I just don't think they 'work' when heated up.

On cereal I like unsweetened almond milk - it's nicer than cow's milk. 
  • I've never found an alternative to milk that works well in tea or coffee or porridge - they're all varying degrees of vile. I just don't think they 'work' when heated up.

I completely agree about a cows milk replacement in tea as far as coffee goes I'm not really a coffee drinker but seeing as its something people do now socially ill go for a coconut or almond milk special. Even though I'd prefer green tea it bugs me too much to pay 2 quid for a teabag and a cup of boiling water. For the sake of taking part in a sham social routine I'll go for coconut or almond milk
  • Last time I had a cholesterol check my GP was very happy with my score of 3.6. I haven’t eaten ‘food with a face’ for twenty four years.

For the record my choice not to consume animal products was not because it was ‘trendy’ or a fad, it was because I could no longer consume the body parts or secretions of animals with a clear conscience. I’m happy to eat a balanced diet of vegetables, fruits, beans, legumes, grains and the occasional bit of faux meat and am perfectly healthy with it.
  • Sponsored links:

• For anyone interested, looking for inspiration for the last stretch of veganuary or just want a bit less meat, one pot vegan is on Amazon for 0.99p today. 

Haven't read it fully but seems well worth the money.
  • I mentioned on another thread about an Instant Pot. They could also be a vegans best friend as they negate the need for pre-soaking lentils and beans. That was always one thing that put me off of using beans, etc, regularly. Just couldn't be bothered with the soaking part.

https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/features/best-vegan-instant-pot-recipes-for-easy-dinners/

• Last time I had a cholesterol check my GP was very happy with my score of 3.6. I haven’t eaten ‘food with a face’ for twenty four years.

For the record my choice not to consume animal products was not because it was ‘trendy’ or a fad, it was because I could no longer consume the body parts or secretions of animals with a clear conscience. I’m happy to eat a balanced diet of vegetables, fruits, beans, legumes, grains and the occasional bit of faux meat and am perfectly healthy with it.
    I will add and say same. Always amuses me when people try and suggest negative impacts on veganism with a biased view. Not being arrogant/smug but all my family give me weird looks at what I eat etc but the reality is I'm fitter and stronger than all of them, always feel like being cheeky but bite my tongue.

Sure this has been asked before, but what milk would you vegans recommend for:

2. Cold with cereal

cheers
    For tea and coffee I believe they have or are doing a alpro that is designed for hot drinks, a lot of the vegan type milks have known to curdle. The alpro 3-5 years (kids) milk is really good I find for tea, also cereal. 

Cereal absolutely almond if not koko brands coconut milk, by far and away the best I have tried.

Just regular soya I go for my porridge, usually though water is fine, water with plain oats is basically oat milk anyway, just have to add some flavouring
  • I mentioned on another thread about an Instant Pot. They could also be a vegans best friend as they negate the need for pre-soaking lentils and beans. That was always one thing that put me off of using beans, etc, regularly. Just couldn't be bothered with the soaking part.

https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/features/best-vegan-instant-pot-recipes-for-easy-dinners/

You seem to be a bit of a cook/chef. 
    What's the difference between an instant pot and casserole pot in regards lentils and beans etc?

What's the difference between an instant pot and casserole pot in regards lentils and beans etc?
    Good question. Some beans need to be pre-soaked before cooking and lentils, albeit not always specifically advised to soak in recipes, are better for your digestion if pre-soaked. The Instant Pot is a pressure cooker (as well as being a slow cooker, steamer, fryer and a raft of other things) and so reduces the cooking time by half and also negates the need for any pre-soaking due to the pressured environment it's being cooked in.

I must have spent about £100 the last two months on every type of milk replacement you can get, just doesn’t work in tea, sadly.

Good question. Some beans need to be pre-soaked before cooking and lentils, albeit not always specifically advised to soak in recipes, are better for your digestion if pre-soaked. The Instant Pot is a pressure cooker (as well as being a slow cooker, steamer, fryer and a raft of other things) and so reduces the cooking time by half and also negates the need for any pre-soaking due to the pressured environment it's being cooked in.
    I have a slow cooker but not a pressure cooker and whenever I try lentils in a slow cooker stew it don't seem to be great. So may look at an instant pot cheers 

I have a slow cooker but not a pressure cooker and whenever I try lentils in a slow cooker stew it don't seem to be great. So may look at an instant pot cheers 
    This is the one I've got:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Instant-Pot-Electric-Pressure-Stainless/dp/B00OP26T4K

You can also go mental and opt for a Ninja:

https://ninjakitchen.co.uk/product/ninja-foodi-7-in-1-multi-cooker-6l-op300uk-zidOP300UK?CatalogCategoryID=DOIKAQMFD8EAAAFxHnzGCszU&gclid=CjwKCAiAu8SABhAxEiwAsodSZJmkkFINM06nalfHQiz_OB8xWXiz-MSLzhudtCvGxs6OPPv8oXWz2RoCBaIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • A good route if you want your cholesterol  to jump. I have known two vegans/ vegetarians and for some reason they had high cholesterol when tested. I who consumed only food that had a face had a cholesterol  level of 4.8. 

Theirs was around 7.5.

Now I balance my diet it is 3.4.

I don't  buy into these things of style choice diet. I think it should  be a balanced diet.

To get their cholesterol  down these two people  has to revert to a normal  balanced diet but omitted red meat most of the time.
     You realise cholesterol is driven by the amount of saturated fats you consume? 

Just to debunk your myth:
    https://viva.org.uk/health/why-animal-products-harm/meat-the-truth/the-truth-about-saturated-fat-animal-protein-and-cholesterol/

This is the one I've got:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Instant-Pot-Electric-Pressure-Stainless/dp/B00OP26T4K

You can also go mental and opt for a Ninja:

https://ninjakitchen.co.uk/product/ninja-foodi-7-in-1-multi-cooker-6l-op300uk-zidOP300UK?CatalogCategoryID=DOIKAQMFD8EAAAFxHnzGCszU&gclid=CjwKCAiAu8SABhAxEiwAsodSZJmkkFINM06nalfHQiz_OB8xWXiz-MSLzhudtCvGxs6OPPv8oXWz2RoCBaIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Gutted. I'm sure they had one in Aldi the other week for 25 quid.
    Appreciate the recommendations. I may spoil myself and go for that Ninja. I can then get rid of a slow cooker and steamer plus it roasts!