Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• @Dazzler21

For a chicken substitute THIS chicken is really good. Their bacon is also not bad, albeit slightly different to the actual thing.
  • Laddick01 said:
    @Dazzler21

For a chicken substitute THIS chicken is really good. Their bacon is also not bad, albeit slightly different to the actual thing.
    I think the 'What the Cluck' is my favourite flavour and texture wise but will give both a go. 
  • All the vegan cheese I've tried has been almost inedible. Are there any good ones?
  • edited November 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    Over the last two weeks I have taken possibly my biggest step towards becoming vegetarian.  I removed Chicken from my plate. 

Chicken has always been my utility meat, goes in anything and goes with everything. High protein, low fat... It was a firm favourite.

I have now given up all meats. I just need to figure some more alternative yet tasty dishes I can cook myself. Or that I can cook meat separately for my family and add it later into the cooking.

Eggs and are next in the crosshairs. Egg being tough for mayonnaise etc, however Hellman's Vegan Mayo is a worthy if not perfect substitute. 

EDIT - Rearranged post a bit so that it reads better. Also realised I haven't eaten seafood in months so that's gone from the post too.
    A lot of Pilaf dishes come with meat/chicken but you can just remove meat and replace with veg and just as nice, in fact even better.

Chicken and Fish were always my favourite and occasionally when in Waitrose the smell of roasting chickens can be tempting but then I remember the likely life they’ve lead and don’t bother.

Well done for giving it a go.
  • Whilst veggie versions of meat dishes are often  cheaper than the meat version, is living as a full blown vegan any cheaper/more expensive than being a meat eater?
  • Any vegan cheeses that can be recommended?
  • edited November 2020
    Any vegan cheeses that can be recommended?

There’s a small family run company based in Newcastle called Tyne  Chease that have a nice range but I’ve never seen it in any major supermarkets and it’s a bit expensive. Website linked.

https://www.tynechease.com/

Applewood smoked vegan cheese is good and importantly melts well. If they make a mature cheddar one then I’d be all over it. Some I’ve had are a bit ropey but the process is still in its infancy. I have no doubt in time there will be a few available that will satisfy the most ardent cheese aficionado.
  • @hoof_it_up_to_benty

If you’ve got ten minutes spare here’s a Tyne Chease taste review video.

https://youtu.be/zmqK0D-kdew
  • @hoof_it_up_to_benty

If you’ve got ten minutes spare here’s a Tyne Chease taste review video.

https://youtu.be/zmqK0D-kdew
    I'll give it a watch. I'd just like a decent cheddar or blue cheese.

I've been pretty impressed with a lot of the vegan food I've tried - it's only really cheese that doesn't measure up.

I'm gradually eating less and less meat and been converted to oat milk.
  • edited November 2020
    Going to try the Vegan Meatloaf from @AddickUpNorth's mate the AvantGardeVegan probably this weekend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Applewood vegan 'cheese' is one of the better ones (£2.30 from Asda) - maybe grill it as a cheese on toast, with some onion & tomato. Toffuti do a half-decent cream 'cheese' in a variety of flavours - I prefer the creamy original but it's harder to find in the supermarkets. Maybe Tesco do it now.
  • Once again, a shout out to wicked kitchen - you really cannot go wrong with their stuff. I had some chorizo style bangers which were ace the other day (they didn't taste like proper chorizo, but provided you don't eat them as a strict chorizo substitute and eat them on their merit they're fine). Added a pumpkin patty made by Vivera, salad and beans and it was a cracking meal, took less than fifteen minutes to cook.

Got their jalapeño burgers tomorrow night with some firecracker rice and hummus, then Thursday I've got the Vivera shawarma kebabs.

I won't make the jump to veganism or even vegetarianism full time, but people who say there aren't proper alternatives, or that it isn't possible to do it healthily are talking out of their hat. 
  • How can anyone say that we'd have not got Covid19? It seems more and more likely it wasn't a chinese fella eating a bat, but came about much sooner. 
  • I don’t think we’ll ever really find the cause of Covid 19, it may not have been the eating of an infected bat @Dazzler21 so in that respect I agree with your post. What can’t be denied is that intensive animal agriculture is undoubtedly creating problems for the future. I’ve posted a video for you to watch (it’s just over six minutes long so not too time consuming) from a vegan activist called Earthling Ed. He’s a ‘gentle’ activist who doesn’t talk with fire and brimstone so he shouldn’t be too hard going for you. The message he is conveying about antibiotic resistance should be listened to. I hope you find the time to give it a go.

https://youtu.be/gnQL-brI-9I

One thing I do hope that comes about through Covid 19 is the end of the barbaric practice of fur farming. The problems experienced in Denmark with mink were problems that could’ve been fully avoided if fur farming had been consigned to the distant past. Unless you’re an Inuit or similar there is absolutely no reason for any human being to wear the fur of another species. It’s fucking gross.
  • edited November 2020
    I don’t think we’ll ever really find the cause of Covid 19, it may not have been the eating of an infected bat @Dazzler21 so in that respect I agree with your post. What can’t be denied is that intensive animal agriculture is undoubtedly creating problems for the future. I’ve posted a video for you to watch (it’s just over six minutes long so not too time consuming) from a vegan activist called Earthling Ed. He’s a ‘gentle’ activist who doesn’t talk with fire and brimstone so he shouldn’t be too hard going for you. The message he is conveying about antibiotic resistance should be listened to. I hope you find the time to give it a go.
    Oh I agree with the message here. Obesity, diabetes and a bundle of others are absolutely caused by eating animals. 

I have to say for me my changes have been down to guilt over the treatment of animals. I think the penny is at least dropping that humans consume too much meat. I remember growing up it was fish on Friday and Roast on sunday, otherwise we ate a mostly plant based diet, every so often eggs or cheese came out, but that was a rarity!

Edit:
    How did I miss the BIG C? or Heart disease in this post?  
  • edited November 2020
    Rates of some cancers could definitely be cut if the consumption of meat, especially processed meat (officially a class 1 carcinogen), were reduced. Heart disease in the West especially could also be reduced if people ate more plant based food so I consider it a no brainer for us humans to take steps to protect our own health. I had blood tests for cholesterol last year and my GP was amazed at my results considering my age (his words, not mine). As heart disease and cancer run in my family a plant based diet is helping to protect my longevity as well helping to save animals. It’s a win/win situation.
  • I don't think livestock farming is sustainable for the planet - it's not an efficient use of land and resources. We can't continue as we are and we need to rethink food production. 

I enjoy eating meat but am gradually cutting down as I think it's the right thing to do. I do think a vegan diet will possibly be healthier.

Modern farming practices re livestock are getting worse and the more I find out the more it puts me off meat.
  • My wife made a delicious lentil and butternut squash curry tonight.

We won’t stop eating meat but have cut down a lot. 

Admittedly I’ve not tried loads of meat alternatives but haven’t tasted one I’ve liked out of those I have yet.

I much prefer eating eating dishes like the one we had tonight than something trying to be what it’s not.
    Some of the vegan burgers I've had have been very tasty.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    How can anyone say that we'd have not got Covid19? It seems more and more likely it wasn't a chinese fella eating a bat, but came about much sooner. 
    So are you saying that you think Covid19 has been about much longer in humans but we didn't know about it?

Admittedly I’ve not tried loads of meat alternatives but haven’t tasted one I’ve liked out of those I have yet.

I much prefer eating eating dishes like the one we had tonight than something trying to be what it’s not.
    I agree but the dishes pretending to be meat are a gateway into vegetarian and vegan diets. Besides many of them do taste great imo.
  • edited November 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    How can anyone say that we'd have not got Covid19? It seems more and more likely it wasn't a chinese fella eating a bat, but came about much sooner. 
    So are you saying that you think Covid19 has been about much longer in humans but we didn't know about it?
    Signs seem to point to it being around possibly as early as May 19. Will try to find the report, but think it's on the Covid thread

That’s what I thought when I did a vegetarian month in January. 

• I don’t think we’ll ever really find the cause of Covid 19, it may not have been the eating of an infected bat @Dazzler21 so in that respect I agree with your post. What can’t be denied is that intensive animal agriculture is undoubtedly creating problems for the future. I’ve posted a video for you to watch (it’s just over six minutes long so not too time consuming) from a vegan activist called Earthling Ed. He’s a ‘gentle’ activist who doesn’t talk with fire and brimstone so he shouldn’t be too hard going for you. The message he is conveying about antibiotic resistance should be listened to. I hope you find the time to give it a go.

One thing I do hope that comes about through Covid 19 is the end of the barbaric practice of fur farming. The problems experienced in Denmark with mink were problems that could’ve been fully avoided if fur farming had been consigned to the distant past. Unless you’re an Inuit or similar there is absolutely no reason for any human being to wear the fur of another species. It’s fucking gross.
    I agree and it makes me so angry the arrogance and ignorance of some. I often think I should carry a pot of paint and accidentally spill it on them.

I’ve also never been able to get my head around women walking a dog while wearing a fur coat, can they not see the hypocrisy?
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Ok, I found the vid that I mentioned yesterday. Just to be clear, I am a meat-eater, but it's hard to argue against what this guy is saying.

https://youtu.be/tnykmsDetNo

Like you say, hard to argue against the hypocrisy of us meat eaters and what he is saying. But that goes on not just with food to be fair.

How many vegans drive a car or ride a bike that has tyres made with animal fat (animal derived stearic acid) in them or leather seats/steering wheel/saddles etc?  How many wear leather shoes? We had a lad at my old work who was Vegan and liked to tell us the error of our ways every time we ate a ham sandwich or similar at our desks, he cycled, wore leather shoes (both on his bike and office shoes), a leather belt, a leather wallet....... and guess what his £250 saddle was made from and handlebar tape! Thats before you get onto the BMW he had. Really he wasn't a Vegan but someone who chose not to consume anything derived from animals, meat or otherwise.

I admire true vegans as it must effect every single part of your life from eating, washing, what you buy, ride, drive, must be extremely hard but fair play if you truly manage to do that as I think i'd struggle purely on the food/drink consumption part.
    I pretty much gave up red meat during the BSE crisis and became a fully signed up veggie a year or so after that. 

We don't preach to anyone but meat eaters usually want to discuss diet and we will engage.

The only time I get animated really is when someone claims to be a vegetarian but eats fish or the occasional bacon butty. Same would go for someone claiming to be a vegan that wears leather. 

If someone wants to eat fish, that's their choice but ffs don't claim to be a vegetarian, it makes life more difficult for a vegetarian. The times that I have been in a restaurant and fish dishes are included under the vegetarian section in the menu is ridiculous. This breaks no laws either. 

You are are either a vegetarian or vegan or your aren't.

I would love it if the whole world stopped eating animals but life to too short to campaign for it, it won't happen in any of our lifetimes. 
  • edited November 2020
    Rob7Lee said:
    Ok, I found the vid that I mentioned yesterday. Just to be clear, I am a meat-eater, but it's hard to argue against what this guy is saying.

https://youtu.be/tnykmsDetNo

Like you say, hard to argue against the hypocrisy of us meat eaters and what he is saying. But that goes on not just with food to be fair.

How many vegans drive a car or ride a bike that has tyres made with animal fat (animal derived stearic acid) in them or leather seats/steering wheel/saddles etc?  How many wear leather shoes? We had a lad at my old work who was Vegan and liked to tell us the error of our ways every time we ate a ham sandwich or similar at our desks, he cycled, wore leather shoes (both on his bike and office shoes), a leather belt, a leather wallet....... and guess what his £250 saddle was made from and handlebar tape! Thats before you get onto the BMW he had. Really he wasn't a Vegan but someone who chose not to consume anything derived from animals, meat or otherwise.

I admire true vegans as it must effect every single part of your life from eating, washing, what you buy, ride, drive, must be extremely hard but fair play if you truly manage to do that as I think i'd struggle purely on the food/drink consumption part.
    I pretty much gave up red meat during the BSE crisis and became a fully signed up veggie a year or so after that. 

We don't preach to anyone but meat eaters usually want to discuss diet and we will engage.

The only time I get animated really is when someone claims to be a vegetarian but eats fish or the occasional bacon butty. Same would go for someone claiming to be a vegan that wears leather. 

If someone wants to eat fish, that's their choice but ffs don't claim to be a vegetarian, it makes life more difficult for a vegetarian. The times that I have been in a restaurant and fish dishes are included under the vegetarian section in the menu is ridiculous. This breaks no laws either. 

You are are either a vegetarian or vegan or your aren't.

I would love it if the whole world stopped eating animals but life to too short to campaign for it, it won't happen in any of our lifetimes. 
    Correct. 

Vegetarian and Vegans do so from an animal wellbeing pov. 

I am currently on a primarily plant based diet whilst still having some dairy products and eggs. I'd like to think I'll leave these behind one day, but we'll see.