Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• Options
    Here’s a thought, how about we start farming humans for consumption?

You’d still be killing a sentient being so it’s a no from me. I accept that a lot of humans are dumber than a blue bottle stuck behind a window but even so.....
    It wasn’t a serious thought, just based on how comfortable humans are at farming animals for our consumption, wondering how they’d feel if it was the other way round.

The great debate, the incredible ingenuity of humans and how dumb they are at the same time.
    I honestly don’t have any feelings towards a random cow I’ve never met until it’s sitting on my plate. I’m completely comfortable with that. What’s it’s got to do with anyone else I don’t really know or care.
    So perfectly put, I couldn’t have done better myself and there you have the nub of the human condition.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Here’s a thought, how about  we start farming humans for consumption?
    Here’s a thought. Why don’t we let people eat what they want without judgement. 
    Because by eating animals you’re killing a sentient being, when there’s no need.

The fact that most humans don’t actually kill the animals themselves, they leave it to others, means they can absolve themselves from the guilt of their barbaric action.
    And the fact that most humans don’t pick their carrots out of a field and leave it to others to do?

or do you make your own clothes or buy from a shop that has them made in Pakistan Bangladesh China etc 

And the fact that most humans don’t pick their carrots out of a field and leave it to others to do?

Do you seriously think that’s a valid point? I can’t see the comparison?

or do you make your own clothes or buy from a shop that has them made in Pakistan Bangladesh China etc 

I do consider what I buy and wear and never knowingly buy anything that’s either exploited animals or people.
  • Options
    Have tried a lot of vegan food and things are definitely improving. Has to be the way to go in terms of providing enough food for the planet.

Intensive farming methods especially in the USA will just hasten the demise of meat.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    MrOneLung said:
    Here’s a thought. Why don’t we let people eat what they want without judgement. 
    What would happen if a human set up a breeding programme to grow humans for meat?
    Would such a thing elicit judgement?

Edit
    Oops
     Just read the above posts on this subject.
  • Options

You’d still be killing a sentient being so it’s a no from me. I accept that a lot of humans are dumber than a blue bottle stuck behind a window but even so.....
    It wasn’t a serious thought, just based on how comfortable humans are at farming animals for our consumption, wondering how they’d feel if it was the other way round.

The great debate, the incredible ingenuity of humans and how dumb they are at the same time.
    I honestly don’t have any feelings towards a random cow I’ve never met until it’s sitting on my plate. I’m completely comfortable with that. What’s it’s got to do with anyone else I don’t really know or care.
    So perfectly put, I couldn’t have done better myself and there you have the nub of the human condition.
    Humanity isn't a condition. Nobody would expect other animals to change their diet because others of that animal feels bad.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Dazzler21 said:

Humanity isn't a condition. Nobody would expect other animals to change their diet because others of that animal feels bad.
    He said "I don't really know or care" which to me often sums up the human condition.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    And militant vegan/meat eaters not caring for a human's right to choose what is on their plate is equal.

One believes there is a moral backing, the other an evolutionary one.

I support people's rights to choose what they eat. I do not celebrate every plant based or meat based meal I consume. 

What you have described is not the human condition, instead merely one tiny factor within it...
    Apathy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    And militant vegan/meat eaters not caring for a human's right to choose what is on their plate is equal.

One believes there is a moral backing, the other an evolutionary one.

I support people's rights to choose what they eat. I do not celebrate every plant based or meat based meal I consume. 

What you have described is not the human condition, instead merely one tiny factor within it...
    Apathy.
    I said often and to me is, just my opinion thanks. Fine if it’s not for you.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

He said "I don't really know or care" which to me often sums up the human condition.
    And the other part of my human condition is that I can live with it.
  • Options
    Some people may not care what they put on their plates/bodies but if they have children then I seriously believe that they should make changes to their diet. It is inarguably true that the process of getting meat to the plate is having a hugely detrimental effect on the planet and in the long run it’s ability to survive. Is the Western obsession with eating meat worth fucking up the future of your children?
  • Options
    Even better. Don't have kids. 
  • Options
    Or give them a balanced diet
  • Options
    Delighted that Asda once again have vegan mince pies for just a quid. Yay!
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    Blimey thats a leap...
  • Options
    The taboo about humans eating other humans is irrational. Socially unacceptable maybe but human meat won't harm you 

For years the pygmies called humans l, mainly missionaries, longpig
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    MrWalker said:
    Absolutely. The planet cannot sustain the growing numbers of humans infinitely. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrWalker said:
    Blimey thats a leap...
    I don't think it is at all. 
    Pretending to care about the planet is incompatible with having children. 

https://www.theworldcounts.com/challenges/planet-earth/state-of-the-planet/world-population-clock-live/story
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    Absolutely. The planet cannot sustain the growing numbers of humans infinitely. 
    Malthus said this over 200 years ago - I don't know if he was a Vegan but I woudn't be surprised.
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    MrWalker said:
    Blimey thats a leap...

https://www.theworldcounts.com/challenges/planet-earth/state-of-the-planet/world-population-clock-live/story
    blimey...
  • Options
    Carter said:
    The taboo about humans eating other humans is irrational. Socially unacceptable maybe but human meat won't harm you 

For years the pygmies called humans l, mainly missionaries, longpig
    Didn’t know that, guess it’s where the band got their name from then.
  • Options
    PWR

I think this topic is possibly for another thread and could be a useful discussion.

I do think it's an interesting thought that humans are comfortable with culling animals but not themselves?

I do think we need to seriously look at how over populated the world is becoming and consider that a population control would benefit our natural resources, though can't see it happening, unless forced upon ourselves by some disaster, Covid perhaps?
  • Options
    Interesting article on how many people the planet can cope with.

I do think it's an interesting thought that humans are comfortable with culling animals but not themselves?

Hitler; Stalin; Mao et al didn't seem to have a problem with it.
  • Options
    PWR

I think this topic is possibly for another thread and could be a useful discussion.

I do think we need to seriously look at how over populated the world is becoming and consider that a population control would benefit our natural resources, though can't see it happening, unless forced upon ourselves by some disaster, Covid perhaps?

This topic may be better placed elsewhere I’ll grant you. The thing is, even if the entire world went vegan, there would still be issues with food supply and feeding people due to sheer numbers. Whatever the case mankind will be responsible for the demise of our precious planet.
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    MrWalker said:
    Blimey thats a leap...

Maybe correct as a generalisation, however it is the kids that will be the solution. Not us. Future generations will follow the current generations lead on combating the climate crisis. Limiting each families number of children... That's the way forward IMO.

I was a third child, fourth if you count my sister that died in infancy. I don't see why people who are hard up, as we were choose to have so many children... It's weird how people expect the government and tax payers to give hand outs when they choose to have more children than they can afford.

The old addage of 'You can never afford children, but you get by' is such bullshit that feeds the mentality to keep having kids. It's usually the most wealthy and the most poor that choose to have so many kids (3+)

The entire point of life is procreation so I would not suggest that stopping having kids is the answer, but having fewer I agree with.  

• Options
    I never got round to having any kids so someone can have one on me :smile: