Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• Options
    PWR

I think this topic is possibly for another thread and could be a useful discussion.

I do think it's an interesting thought that humans are comfortable with culling animals but not themselves?

I do think we need to seriously look at how over populated the world is becoming and consider that a population control would benefit our natural resources, though can't see it happening, unless forced upon ourselves by some disaster, Covid perhaps?

This topic may be better placed elsewhere I’ll grant you. The thing is, even if the entire world went vegan, there would still be issues with food supply and feeding people due to sheer numbers. Whatever the case mankind will be responsible for the demise of our precious planet.
    Agree.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Redskin said:
    Interesting article on how many people the planet can cope with.

I do think it's an interesting thought that humans are comfortable with culling animals but not themselves?

Hitler; Stalin; Mao et al didn't seem to have a problem with it.
    Agree to a large extent and I’m sure there are others we could include in your list.

I suppose I’m inclined to think those you mention are more about Power but perhaps Power and Extermination are one and the same thing?
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    MrWalker said:
    Even better. Don't have kids. 
    Blimey thats a leap...
    I don't think it is at all. 
    Pretending to care about the planet is incompatible with having children. 

https://www.theworldcounts.com/challenges/planet-earth/state-of-the-planet/world-population-clock-live/story
    So we should all care about the planet and not have children...... I don't see that ending well for the human race.....
  • Options
    I never got round to having any kids so someone can have one on me :smile:
    I'm the same Alison!

• Options
    This is a regular topic that ebbs and flows.
    It is due to die down, but then be revived at Christmas.

• Options
    Never wanted them. Falling in love with a woman who already had them, then watching my relationship with her fall apart because her ex turned them into horrible little bastards and not being strong enough to accept that proved to me that I made the right decision not having children of my own. Some people just aren't cut out to have children but feel pressured into it. I'm glad I never did.
  • Options
    Just to add to my comment about the point of life being procreation... It does not mean that you have to have children, only that it is technically nature to do so. 

If you don't want to have children, for whatever reason that may be, it is absolutely the correct decision not to have children. 

This planet is full of people that made me wonder whether I should have children, that ranges from my own Mother all the way up to terrorists, rapists and murderers. Obviously very different reasons across there, however I have always deep down wanted to feel the love for my children that I feel like my mum never got to enjoy because of her depression and her choice to leave this world. 

Bringing this thread back to Veganism, I've said it before, I fully understand people's reasons for going plant based (I have mocked vegans and I have mocked those on the carnivore diet) and I am slowly working my way towards a plant based diet having cut out most animal meats. It's hard to change desires for food that you've been eating for 30 plus years, working for the charity that I do is changing my perception over time.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Good. There's a few great tasting alternatives to meat out there now and it looks like there's more coming. 
  • Options
    Vegan Quorn pieces can be quite hard to find in the supermarkets, which is annoying. They seem to be well liked by my daughters friends, who say something like, "This isn't chicken, is it?" after enjoying a meal and suddenly the penny drops that they are in a vegan household. I wonder why Quorn don't go the whole hog and turn all their 'pieces' and 'mince' products into vegan. I notice that many Macartney products are now mainly vegan - pretty good as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I used to eat a lot of Quorn in the 17 years I didn’t eat red meat, have they only just made it Vegan?

Also, what ever happened to the Vegetarians? Do the Vegans look down on them now?
  • Options
    Carter said:
    The taboo about humans eating other humans is irrational. Socially unacceptable maybe but human meat won't harm you 

For years the pygmies called humans l, mainly missionaries, longpig
    It's not irrational, it's part of the social contract that means for the most part we don't have to spend our lives looking over our shoulders. Human meat may not harm you, but being human meat certainly will.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    They fell on hard times and were relegated.
    Vegetarianism, I could probably cope with, but being as I love cheese, Vegan is out for me.

Just annoys me that due to trends, in many restaurants/pubs, it’s automatically assumed if you do not want a meat dish you want a Vegan one.

Apart from Quorn, I used to have quite a bit of TVP... is it still know as that, or is it called some uber modish name these days like Plant Based or Vegan Mince.

• Options
    Vegetarianism, I could probably cope with, but being as I love cheese, Vegan is out for me.

Just annoys me that due to trends, in many restaurants/pubs, it’s automatically assumed if you do not want a meat dish you want a Vegan one.

Apart from Quorn, I used to have quite a bit of TVP... is it still know as that, or is it called some uber modish name these days like Plant Based or Vegan Mince.

Me too, no dairy products would be a difficult one, 
  • Options
    it’s all it’s all ethics for me, if they aren’t rock solid it won’t work... you have to mercilessly stare into the reality off your food consumption, the dairy industry is the most violent industry on earth. 

If you watch dominion or visited any kill floor for example, your humanity screams at you, that this isn’t right. 

All males chicks being ground to death on their first day of life, regardless of organic, free range etc.

Cows having their offspring removed immediately after birth, etc etc. 

its not cool, but it’s everyone’s individual journeys, and most human beings are warm and loving people, so as a vegan it’s a bit challenging knowing how far to go with presenting the info.

All I can talk about is my journey and once I unflinchingly looked at the reality of what I was paying into, it’s a very definite no. 

The diet side is a by product of the ethos, and once you are certain and clear, it’s a doddle in today’s market, there’s whole sections for you, plus must food is vegan as is. 
  • Options

I've not seen anything called tvp for ages. I'm not sure whether that means the product got replaced by superior offerings we're still buying it but the marketing got better. tvp never sounded very appealing. 
  • Options
    Textured Vegetable Protein I think it stood for, didn’t mind eating it then, but prefer a Steak now..... on the odd occasion. 

I used to eat quite a bit of marinated Tofu from the fridge, had some recently and it was nothing like I use to have, rank. Sure it was the same manufacturer as well.. Did it used to be   Vegetarian and not Vegan and was bound with egg or something?
  • Options
    Are they allowed to call themselves a butcher if they are not dealing with any meat?

• Options
    Are they allowed to call themselves a butcher if they are not dealing with any meat?

I doubt there is a law against it.
    However I don't understand why vegetarian businesses want to create that association with slaughter.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I doubt there is a law against it.
    However I don't understand why vegetarian businesses want to create that association with slaughter.
    Because it's more appetising to those considering the switch.

It's meat replacements after all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I suppose the appeal might be to meat eaters. Otherwise it is simply a source of protein or nutrition.
    Doesn't appeal to me as a confirmed vegetarian. 
  • Options
    Some people may not care what they put on their plates/bodies but if they have children then I seriously believe that they should make changes to their diet. It is inarguably true that the process of getting meat to the plate is having a hugely detrimental effect on the planet and in the long run it’s ability to survive. Is the Western obsession with eating meat worth fucking up the future of your children?
    Western?
  • Options

By my understanding, there is only one technically correct meaning of 'Vegan Butcher' and that is definitely illegal.
  • Options
    It does seem a little bizarre/oxymoron that a vegan shop has butcher in the title, even tried to make itself look like a butchers.

But I guess thats the point, it's about trying to make it look like and taste like meat, even sound like meat even though it isn't. As to be honest if someone could come up with a product that did all of those things 100% we'd never need eat meat again. Maybe i've not tried the 'decent stuff' but I've not found anything yet that taste that great vegan wise.
  • Options
    I get it, what else do you call it?

Vegan-meat-replacement shop definitely doesn't scan as well
  • Options
    Stig said:

By my understanding, there is only one technically correct meaning of 'Vegan Butcher' and that is definitely illegal.
    Tempting for some.
  • Options
    mascot88 said:
    it’s all it’s all ethics for me, if they aren’t rock solid it won’t work... you have to mercilessly stare into the reality off your food consumption, the dairy industry is the most violent industry on earth. 

If you watch dominion or visited any kill floor for example, your humanity screams at you, that this isn’t right. 

All males chicks being ground to death on their first day of life, regardless of organic, free range etc.

Cows having their offspring removed immediately after birth, etc etc. 

its not cool, but it’s everyone’s individual journeys, and most human beings are warm and loving people, so as a vegan it’s a bit challenging knowing how far to go with presenting the info.

All I can talk about is my journey and once I unflinchingly looked at the reality of what I was paying into, it’s a very definite no. 

The diet side is a by product of the ethos, and once you are certain and clear, it’s a doddle in today’s market, there’s whole sections for you, plus must food is vegan as is. 
    I recently watched a video about cognitive dissonance by Cosmic Sceptic that highlighted some of this. It's very thought-provoking and watching the male chicks getting ground up is quite upsetting. I'll post a link if I find it again.

I am a meat eater, but really only fish. I probably eat chicken a few times a month and hardly ever eat red meat. I don't think that I would ever stop eating dairy though.