Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• Options
    Back in 1975 when I first became a vegan, soya milk and vegan cheese was really dire. But over the years both have constantly improved. Now, that is not to say that if you decided to have soya milk in your tea instead of cows milk for the first time you wouldn't pull a face. But heh! guess what? Tastes change! Some of the vegan cheeses are pretty good but to be honest i have long forgotten what 'real' cheese tastes like. I can't abide vegan bacon (actually quite hard to find) but my Missus and daughter like it. What is cool is seeing people willing to try out a vegan option. Maybe, just maybe I am not quite the freak I once was...
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I suppose the appeal might be to meat eaters. Otherwise it is simply a source of protein or nutrition.
    Doesn't appeal to me as a confirmed vegetarian. 
    🙀not vegan, what are you doing on this thread?

Let’s lynch him boys.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I get it, what else do you call it?

Vegan-meat-replacement shop definitely doesn't scan as well
    Vegan shop
  • Options
    I was in the ‘couldn’t give up dairy’ camp for a long time but I couldn’t shake the unease of dairy being one of the vilest industries. My conscience overrode my societal programming eventually and I can honestly say it was one of the most liberating things shaking off my ‘wants’ of a product that brings so much pain and suffering to sentient beings that deserve to be seen as so much more than a commodity. I don’t even bother with vegan cheese now even though there are some that are pretty good. 
    I was a vegetarian for 30 years but got to the point where I felt that the dairy industry was far worse than ‘ethical’ meat farming. Vegan was the only choice for me. 
    Vegan cheese is not for me. Smells like sweaty sock.
  • Options
    I was in the ‘couldn’t give up dairy’ camp for a long time but I couldn’t shake the unease of dairy being one of the vilest industries. My conscience overrode my societal programming eventually and I can honestly say it was one of the most liberating things shaking off my ‘wants’ of a product that brings so much pain and suffering to sentient beings that deserve to be seen as so much more than a commodity. I don’t even bother with vegan cheese now even though there are some that are pretty good. 
    I was a vegetarian for 30 years but got to the point where I felt that the dairy industry was far worse than ‘ethical’ meat farming. Vegan was the only choice for me. 
    Vegan cheese is not for me. Smells like sweaty sock.
    Misread the sweaty there.
  • Options
    I'm going to make a list for a couple of weeks as to everything I would have to change to be Vegan to see if it's even remotely possible for me.

Breakfast I thought would be easy, but, most cereals seem to not be vegan due to vitamin D from sheep wool grease so thats a pain and no cows milk of course, plus clearly no meats or cheeses allowed or Croissants.

On my third cup of tea so that would be no cows milk as well..... but marmite is vegan .....phew....oh, but no butter but sure you can get vegan butter equivalent, no idea on taste.

So I think of all the different things I usually eat for breakfast even the ones more rarely only marmite on toast is a goer without some form of alternative!

This is harder than I thought, what do those already vegan eat for breakfast? And is there a decent milk that goes in tea otherwise this experiment might fail before it starts.

• Options
    Its easier than I thought it would be certainly to go vegetarian even if I have fallen off that particular wagon for the time being 

With tea I'm sad to say you might want to try some decent quality teas that don't need milk. I'm a fan of Earl and lady Grey and I don't put milk in them generally 

If you can't abandon a brew with milk oat milk is probably the closest I've found for tea. That said I am not very precious about normal tea as I'm a tart and like the ones that don't need milk 

Flora is vegan and they are better for you too. I could be wrong but I think Olivio is vegan too 

Almond milk and porridge is a staple of my breakfast and I won't use cows milk in porridge now 

Coconut and almond milk are much nicer if you are into lattes as is cashew milk 

Dinners you need to find a stockist for vivera, their meat replacement products are excellent in particular their shewarma and Greek kebabs I will have one of these with salad in a wrap at least once a week for dinner. Their steak is disgusting, dont go for that but their chicken replacement is decent 

Nut roasts are a challenge but I found a decent few after a lot of trial and error 

Linda McCartney chicken replacement and their sausages are good too. 

• Options
    Ok, I found the vid that I mentioned yesterday. Just to be clear, I am a meat-eater, but it's hard to argue against what this guy is saying.

https://youtu.be/tnykmsDetNo

• Options
    Carter said:
    Its easier than I thought it would be certainly to go vegetarian even if I have fallen off that particular wagon for the time being 

With tea I'm sad to say you might want to try some decent quality teas that don't need milk. I'm a fan of Earl and lady Grey and I don't put milk in them generally 

If you can't abandon a brew with milk oat milk is probably the closest I've found for tea. That said I am not very precious about normal tea as I'm a tart and like the ones that don't need milk 

Flora is vegan and they are better for you too. I could be wrong but I think Olivio is vegan too 

Almond milk and porridge is a staple of my breakfast and I won't use cows milk in porridge now 

Coconut and almond milk are much nicer if you are into lattes as is cashew milk 

Dinners you need to find a stockist for vivera, their meat replacement products are excellent in particular their shewarma and Greek kebabs I will have one of these with salad in a wrap at least once a week for dinner. Their steak is disgusting, dont go for that but their chicken replacement is decent 

Nut roasts are a challenge but I found a decent few after a lot of trial and error 

Linda McCartney chicken replacement and their sausages are good too. 

Don't think i'd cope without my 15 cups of Yorkshire Tea and semi skimmed a day.

We probably have stuff every day in our house that is Vegan (flora being one, just looked up and they recently changed) without actively doing so.

My wife has actively reduced our intake of meat over the years (she's never been a massive red meat fan anyway). Could probably get nearer pescatarian as we have fish 2-3 times a week, vegetarian once or twice, but if i'm honest Vegan is a massive step too far for me, even vegetarian would prove problematic.

Might give it a go for a week (
    pescatarian) and see how it goes, but can't see my kids giving up their bacon without a fight  :D 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ok, I found the vid that I mentioned yesterday. Just to be clear, I am a meat-eater, but it's hard to argue against what this guy is saying.

https://youtu.be/tnykmsDetNo

Like you say, hard to argue against the hypocrisy of us meat eaters and what he is saying. But that goes on not just with food to be fair.

How many vegans drive a car or ride a bike that has tyres made with animal fat (animal derived stearic acid) in them or leather seats/steering wheel/saddles etc?  How many wear leather shoes? We had a lad at my old work who was Vegan and liked to tell us the error of our ways every time we ate a ham sandwich or similar at our desks, he cycled, wore leather shoes (both on his bike and office shoes), a leather belt, a leather wallet....... and guess what his £250 saddle was made from and handlebar tape! Thats before you get onto the BMW he had. Really he wasn't a Vegan but someone who chose not to consume anything derived from animals, meat or otherwise.

I admire true vegans as it must effect every single part of your life from eating, washing, what you buy, ride, drive, must be extremely hard but fair play if you truly manage to do that as I think i'd struggle purely on the food/drink consumption part.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I'm going to make a list for a couple of weeks as to everything I would have to change to be Vegan to see if it's even remotely possible for me.

Breakfast I thought would be easy, but, most cereals seem to not be vegan due to vitamin D from sheep wool grease so thats a pain and no cows milk of course, plus clearly no meats or cheeses allowed or Croissants.

On my third cup of tea so that would be no cows milk as well..... but marmite is vegan .....phew....oh, but no butter but sure you can get vegan butter equivalent, no idea on taste.

So I think of all the different things I usually eat for breakfast even the ones more rarely only marmite on toast is a goer without some form of alternative!

This is harder than I thought, what do those already vegan eat for breakfast? And is there a decent milk that goes in tea otherwise this experiment might fail before it starts.

Alpro oat milk is good in tea. 
  • Options
    Ta, i'll try some, my wife has some almond milk but god thats awful in tea!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Ta, i'll try some, my wife has some almond milk but god thats awful in tea!
    I use the unsweetened almond milk in tea. The sweetened one is good on cereal but not in tea.
  • Options
    @Rob7Lee  here’s a little guide for you regarding plant based milk. I can’t speak from experience because I only drink black coffee or fruit teas. 

https://veganuary.com/plant-milk-tea/
  • Options
    Does anyone have experience of moving to a more plant based diet in a house with eaters? One of the biggest challenges I have noticed is the cost of paying for two dietary choices. 
  • Options
    After trying variety and each having our favourites, unsweteened Alpro Oat milk we find is the best compromise for all purposes, easy to get used to and like in tea, on cereal etc. Similar nutrient make up to dairy milk. Can hopefully persuade household to give oat milk a go for lockdown, also maybe if you do more of the cooking for a while, you can get them to enjoy your meals.
    Almond milk should be avoided completely.
  • Options
    Tried Alpro Oat milk in the tea, yuck! I think as someone said, probably easier just to find a tea you like without milk.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Does anyone have experience of moving to a more plant based diet in a house with eaters? One of the biggest challenges I have noticed is the cost of paying for two dietary choices. 
    It's a nightmare in our house. We've basically got to the point where everyone fends for themselves, works out a lot more wasteful and expensive.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Mr Tatters is a meat eater. He tends to eat meat in sandwiches and when I'm out. For the most part I cook vegan food and he puts cheese on top.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I use BonSoy for milk over here in Oz ... not sure if it's available over there. 

The thing to remember is the ethics is what will get you through the change in food and drink choices, if you look directly and unflinchingly into the dairy industry it's the most violent industry on earth, that trauma, stress, and merciless treatment of sentient beings is utterly abhorrent, and you are consuming that fear and pain and sorrow. 

Now, if you reach that point, and veganism is an ethos not a diet, then it's easy to make the switch as going back isn't an option. 

Also looking a glass of milk you see the suffering in your mind, so it's a flat no. 

What then happens over time is your tastes adjust as you experiment with the vast array of choices now available, with your mind and actions aligned in a positive fashion.

That was my experience anyway :)

Bosh are excellent for recipes 

Dominion and Earthling Ed's vids are excellent for getting a genuine handle on what your money is paying into. 

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Over the last two weeks I have taken possibly my biggest step towards becoming vegetarian.  I removed Chicken from my plate. 

Chicken has always been my utility meat, goes in anything and goes with everything. High protein, low fat... It was a firm favourite.

I have now given up all meats. I just need to figure some more alternative yet tasty dishes I can cook myself. Or that I can cook meat separately for my family and add it later into the cooking.

Eggs and are next in the crosshairs. Egg being tough for mayonnaise etc, however Hellman's Vegan Mayo is a worthy if not perfect substitute. 

EDIT - Rearranged post a bit so that it reads better. Also realised I haven't eaten seafood in months so that's gone from the post too.
  • Options
    For flaky fish fry banana blossom combined with seaweed flakes. For scrambled eggs try tofu combined with black salt.
  • Options
    EastStand said:
    For flaky fish fry banana blossom combined with seaweed flakes. For scrambled eggs try tofu combined with black salt.
    Thanks I'll look into both of these, just updated my post as realised I hadn't had most seafood in months! Did have Tuna a few weeks back, but can easily dump that.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    Over the last two weeks I have taken possibly my biggest step towards becoming vegetarian.  I removed Chicken from my plate. 

Chicken has always been my utility meat, goes in anything and goes with everything. High protein, low fat... It was a firm favourite.

I have now given up all meats. I just need to figure some more alternative yet tasty dishes I can cook myself. Or that I can cook meat separately for my family and add it later into the cooking.

Eggs and are next in the crosshairs. Egg being tough for mayonnaise etc, however Hellman's Vegan Mayo is a worthy if not perfect substitute. 

EDIT - Rearranged post a bit so that it reads better. Also realised I haven't eaten seafood in months so that's gone from the post too.
    Are you feeling any better/diffrent for doing this? How is it affecting your training?
  • Options
    @Dazzler21- yep, the Hellman’s vegan mayo is awesome and much better, in my opinion, than the original. If you want a vegan butter look no further than Naturli, it even leaves that greasy feel on your lips like dairy butter.

I know you’re a busy family man but if you can find the time YouTube is your friend for this. The channels I primarily use are: BOSH, the Happy Pear, avantgardevegan, Rachel Ama, the Edgy Veg and SweetPotatoSoul. Gaz Coombes, the avantgardevegan has just put out a video on high protein meal prep which may be useful for you for your training. 
  • Options
    To save you some time @Dazzler21 I’ll put up the high protein meal prep vid from the avantgardevegan channel. Hope it comes in handy.

https://youtu.be/imgLK6CI8eI
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Dazzler21 said:

Are you feeling any better/diffrent for doing this? How is it affecting your training?

Personally I do feel less bloated almost all of the time after Dinner. Not sure of any other different feelings as it's been a gradual weening off as opposed to the cold turkey (excuse the phrase) of when I did Veganuary. I will say for that I had a couple of weeks where I felt a bit sluggish, but this time out I haven't had that. Probably helps I am not as close to peak fitness as I was in January!

I've had to curb my running over the last couple of months from a mixture of ongoing niggles and lack of available time, so running wise hard to say. Again back in January after the temporary slump, I was fine. If anything better.  

This time out I am more focused on weight training, which for me creates an almost insatiable hunger. I'm eating quite a lot of food (Peanut Butter sandwiches are a dangerous snack!) so I am finding muscle gain is coming along nicely as are the chubs associated with a calorie surplus bulk. I'm saving a cut til January when I can get the better half on board for Veganuary. 

If you're considering it, I'd say do it. If even only for a month to see how it feels. Vegetarian has been easier than Vegan, purely for the fact of not having to check as many labels. 
  • Options
    To save you some time @Dazzler21 I’ll put up the high protein meal prep vid from the avantgardevegan channel. Hope it comes in handy.

https://youtu.be/imgLK6CI8eI
    Thanks, Very helpful. 

I have hit sub and will watch some later.