Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Albania/San Marino

2 crunch nail biting world cup qualifiers coming up.............ok maybe not. Albania not the pushovers they once were but should win fairly comfortably and the SM game will be a procession for 'B' team.

Not quite sure how Mings got a call up, he's been dreadful this season and was even dropped by Villa.

Have to say i loved this though, even if i was surprised he hasn't got his own place yet.

Arsenal forward Emile Smith Rowe says receiving his first full England call-up was a "very emotional" moment.

"It was a great moment for me and my family - I ran downstairs straight away and told my mum. It was very emotional. They were so proud of me," he said.

Comments

• How does ESR fit in? i mean even long term the strongest position for England bar Right back, he can play CAM or LM/LAM but still as talented as he is not sure he will play much. 

Mad how Tomori doesn't get a look in, also some other debatable calls, not that it matters we cant lose these probably if they fielded a half a Charlton team lol 

Are they going to put Kane in to give him some confidence and get a few goals or try someone different? Can see him playing 30 mins vs San Marino and 70ish Albania, but surely he wants to play. 

Reece James at RB for me, i know Trent is having a good run too but still wont cut it defensively. Walker hard to drop too , Southgate loves a bit of Trippier but hope he isn't LB when we have the quality there already as its a kick in the teeth and no confidence for players like Chilwell/Shaw.

Bit like last night , not too interested (although would be if we lose lol) at least we haven't cancelled our game this weekend so not all doom and gloom. 
  • Going to the Albania game on Friday which apparently has sold out!
  • Why isn’t Antonio in the squad ? Surely THE form striker in the league at the moment.
  • edited November 2021
    Why isn’t Antonio in the squad ? Surely THE form striker in the league at the moment.
    He represents Jamaica, surprisingly so do Kasey Palmer and Jordan Cousins now
  • Why isn’t Antonio in the squad ? Surely THE form striker in the league at the moment.
    He switched to Jamaica didn't he? definitely think we should have put him in sooner, as good as DCL was last season Antonio is more of a natural replacement or if Kane off form. 
  • Very worrying how many out of form players we have going into this and potentially next year. Albania are playing for a playoff spot and will not be an easy game. They aren’t far off Hungary who caused us problems because we were poor. Maguire and Shaw look woeful, so I hope he at least starts Chilwell. Kane and Abraham can’t score for toffee at the moment. Thankfully we do have players like Rice and the City boys playing well at the moment to hopefully see us over the line.
  • Very worrying how many out of form players we have going into this and potentially next year. Albania are playing for a playoff spot and will not be an easy game. They aren’t far off Hungary who caused us problems because we were poor. Maguire and Shaw look woeful, so I hope he at least starts Chilwell. Kane and Abraham can’t score for toffee at the moment. Thankfully we do have players like Rice and the City boys playing well at the moment to hopefully see us over the line.
    Yeah we've really made harder work of this Group than we've needed to these last couple of games.

Should be fine - Really expect Albania to be a difficult game like you say, San Marino on the other hand... Yeah!!
    Yeah we've really made harder work of this Group than we've needed to these last couple of games.

Should be fine - Really expect Albania to be a difficult game like you say, San Marino on the other hand... Yeah!!
    Albania beat Hungary home and away, very organised defensively. We need 4 points from these 2 games don’t we?
  • the formation England play doesn't leave much room if Kane is injured/off the boil as aside from DCL (injured) there's no real back up.

But I get why we play that way given the wealth of attacking midfield/wide/forward talent available to play around that central striker.

We'll have more than enough over the next 2 games and fully expect to win them both
  • Sponsored links:

Albania beat Hungary home and away, very organised defensively. We need 4 points from these 2 games don’t we?
    In an ideal world yeah but the win against San Marino SHOULD be enough on its own.

Poland play Andorra next so if we lose to Albania they'll be on joint points with us at the top of the Group - Poland will also go top I imagine as there are only four goals difference in the GD between us.

Albania on the other hand will go two points behind us.

We then play San Marino whilst Poland play at home to Hungary (Albania have Andorra)

If we some how lost and Poland / Albania win then we're not going to Qatar - I imagine if we went into the last game in second (and level with Poland), then our result against San Marino should put us top again.

Just glad its Albania @ Wembley and San Marino away as thought it was the other way around.
  • Played 8 won 6 drawn 2 and people are saying we have made hard work of it?

We will beat Albania then we are on the beach. 
    I would like to see Chilwell play as he's in superb form. Southgate does tend to stick with his tried and trusted players though so i'm sure we'll see Shaw.
  • I will breathe a huge sigh of relief if we avoid defeat v Albania. He will play Kane, but blimey he is so poor atm.

Trippier is not in the squad. I hope Chilwell plays as I think he is very underrated. 
  • I actually like that Southgate picks players for the squad even if their form has dipped a bit. Aside from the fact history has reversed itself and a lot of our players are now playing far better for their country than their clubs, we've got a squad built on consistency and clear communication amongst the whole squad, so for crunch games it makes more sense to have a familiar group then start jettisoning people when they're having a tough time with their clubs. Despite these being supposedly easy matches, we still have to win them so maybe not the time to change too much. There's plenty of time ahead of the WC to start introducing new players at the back if dips in form continue. I think Shaw is probably safe given the levels he can hit for England but there's a lot of talent that can come in defensively. Gomez, Konsa, White and Tomori will all be looking at Coady's spot, though he stays in because of his comfort in a back 3 and the fact he's apparently brilliant in the group even though he doesn't play. Mings gets in purely by dint of being a left-sided centre back so if someone comes through with a left foot he'll be sweating. Chilwell should start given he matched a goalscoring record last achieved by Eden Hazard for Chelsea, and Reece James has been in incredible form on the other side. TAA allowing West Ham to stroll around Liverpool's box at set pieces will have cemented Southgate's concerns with him I reckon and he'll be behind James and Walker for the RB slot. It'll be interesting to see if the Phillips/Rice axis survives, Leeds haven't exactly been brilliant this season and Bellingham is looking like a real threat in midfield. Also feel for Pope given his recent run of decent form hasn't seen him displace a Championship keeper, though Ramsdale has probably jumped up to second choice now anyway after Arsenal decided to let him handle all the defending recently.
    Mostly I'm interested to see if Kane just doesn't like playing for Tottenham anymore or if his entire outlook on football has been affected by being embarrassed by Daniel Levy over the summer. If he absolutely batters Albania I reckon Tottenham fans won't be delighted to see it.

In an ideal world yeah but the win against San Marino SHOULD be enough on its own.

Poland play Andorra next so if we lose to Albania they'll be on joint points with us at the top of the Group - Poland will also go top I imagine as there are only four goals difference in the GD between us.

Albania on the other hand will go two points behind us.

We then play San Marino whilst Poland play at home to Hungary (Albania have Andorra)

If we some how lost and Poland / Albania win then we're not going to Qatar - I imagine if we went into the last game in second (and level with Poland), then our result against San Marino should put us top again.

Just glad its Albania @ Wembley and San Marino away as thought it was the other way around.
    There is no way we are losing to Albania at home!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Played 8 won 6 drawn 2 and people are saying we have made hard work of it?

We will beat Albania then we are on the beach. 
    I wouldn't say we've made hard work of it, but a sloppy late equaliser in Poland and a very poor home performance against Hungary means its taken longer than it should.
  • Was planning to go to the Albania game. Can’t believe it sold out so quickly. The last two home matches there must have been about 15-20k empty seats, so not sure what has caused such a rush for this one. Maybe the fact it’s a Friday night. 
    I would like to see Chilwell play as he's in superb form. Southgate does tend to stick with his tried and trusted players though so i'm sure we'll see Shaw.
    Southgate knows best...
    I'm sure his world beating tactics and his strategic wizardry will win the day.
    Like others have said, thank feck there is a decent match on at the weekend!
  • cafctom said:
    Was planning to go to the Albania game. Can’t believe it sold out so quickly. The last two home matches there must have been about 15-20k empty seats, so not sure what has caused such a rush for this one. Maybe the fact it’s a Friday night. 
    Agreed, Friday night also it's the last home game of the year always seems to pull a crowd. Can't wait to be part of a sold out Wembley on Friday hopefully with qualification sealed and the whole stadium belting out Sweet Caroline after.
  • Sponsored links:

• Nothing beats a 7:45PM KO on a Friday night. If it wasn’t for bus replacement on the Saturday and going to Burton would normally be on the milk train home from Wembley.
  • edited November 2021
    Rice withdrawn through illness
  • edited November 2021
    Southgate knows best...
    Well he’s known better than any England manager in 50+ years mate….
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Very worrying how many out of form players we have going into this and potentially next year. Albania are playing for a playoff spot and will not be an easy game. They aren’t far off Hungary who caused us problems because we were poor. Maguire and Shaw look woeful, so I hope he at least starts Chilwell. Kane and Abraham can’t score for toffee at the moment. Thankfully we do have players like Rice and the City boys playing well at the moment to hopefully see us over the line.
    Southgate knows best...
    I am not sure if this a joke but what ever happens in Qatar, its a wild card with the heat etc we are going to go to Germany and the US with a squad full of players at their peek who have a history of going deep in tournaments. 
    Whilst not cold, the temperatures in Qatar should be around 24 to 26 degrees. A summer tournament would have been unplayable.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Very worrying how many out of form players we have going into this and potentially next year. Albania are playing for a playoff spot and will not be an easy game. They aren’t far off Hungary who caused us problems because we were poor. Maguire and Shaw look woeful, so I hope he at least starts Chilwell. Kane and Abraham can’t score for toffee at the moment. Thankfully we do have players like Rice and the City boys playing well at the moment to hopefully see us over the line.
    Southgate knows best...
    I am not sure if this a joke but what ever happens in Qatar, its a wild card with the heat etc we are going to go to Germany and the US with a squad full of players at their peek who have a history of going deep in tournaments. 
    Whilst not cold, the temperatures in Qatar should be around 24 to 26 degrees. A summer tournament would have been unplayable.
    Exactly why it should never have been an option, but greed, money and corruption run FIFA.
  • Rice withdrawn through illness
    Call up for Gallagher?
  • I'm just delighted we are still playing Burton, I hate the international break 
    There seems far more of them than in days gone by, or maybe I’m just getting old