Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Albania/San Marino

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    15 years for Rooney to get his 53. Kane nearly there in 6 years. Is it really only 6 years?
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Amazing that he's only 5 behind Rooney now

Those stats show how good Charlton and Greaves were - far less internationals played back in their day….
    Very true, but Bobby Charlton still managed 106 games in twelve years...

A bunch of stats I have worked out this morning (some unrelated - but I thought they were interesting) - they may not be 100% accurate, but they are pretty close.   

Both Charlton and Rooney played around 9 internationals per year on average. Charlton missed 28 internationals in the twelve years he played, Rooney missed 46 in thirteen years (I am not counting the one off cameo v France in 2018 - he really played his last proper game in 2016, which is where I am drawing the line, otherwise it would appear that Rooney played less games per year than Sir Bob) and Kane has missed 19 in six years. Charlton played every game for England in a calendar year on three occasions, Kane and Rooney have done it once each.

Kane has missed games v Malta, San Marino and Andorra where he could have potentially notched a few more goals.  

So Sir Bobby C could have played 134, Rooney 166 and Kane 86 between their debuts and their final game (Rooney's cameo notwithstanding).

Certainly also less minnows in the sixties, though Charlton did score thirteen of his total in five matches where England scored eight or over (and another two in a 4-1 win over Luxembourg). 

If you don't count the home internationals, Greaves only scored four goals in competetive matches, and three of them came in a 9-0 win over Luxembourg (Charlton scored three in that game too). Not putting Greavsie down, but when you analyse his stats, he was a bit of a flat track bully. As well as the Luxembourg hat-trick, against Northern Ireland he scored four in an 8-3 win, three in a 4-3 win and two in a 5-2 victory. He scored one goal in each of two 4-0 wins over Wales and two in a 5-1 against the same opposition. He also notched three in the famous 9-3 trouncing of Scotland, three more in a 4-0 v Peru and and another four in beating Norway 6-1. Remarkably he failed to score at all in thirty of the games he played for the national side. In fairness a lot of Kane's goals have come in big victories too.              

One difference is that Kane's England get through to final(s) and semi-finals, Charlton's England didn't ( well - maybe once? 😉 )