Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2022

Time for a new thread. What better way to start than with the announcement of Paul Collingwood as interim coach

Comments

• Positive - he was one of the grittiest cricketers we've ever had
    Negative - he seemed to be offering the players excuses for their performances in the last year
  • That’s Paul Collingwood MBE 
  • Always a fan of PDC. Both a very good white ball player and captain and also known for some serious efforts in tests as Brigadier Block. A real fighter who got every little bit out of his talent and gave his all to every situation. 

I certainly want him around the England setup going forwards but I think they need to split the red and white ball roles so not sure in which capacity to use him.

I have no problem with him sticking up for the players after the ashes. Some things are excusable (the amount of time in bubbles, the terrible preparation, the sheer amount of cricket they've played without a break etc.) What isn't is the selection and decision making. He never defended those.

• I admire Langer both for his career as a hard nosed, gritty batsman and as a hard nosed and gritty coach .. however, I doubt that many English 'test class' players would respond to him, too many memories of Ashes massacres plotted by Langer. 
    Give Collingwood a good go.
  • If nothing else Collingwood should surely improve the fielding.

Our catching isn't good enough, while our ratio of hitting the stumps with a direct hit (to run someone out) is pathetic

Our catching isn't good enough, while our ratio of hitting the stumps with a direct hit (to run someone out) is pathetic
    Hasn't collingwood been coaching the team already? 
  • Not sure about Collingwood.  Hope it works out for him, but also hope it's only a temporary appointment
  • /
    If nothing else Collingwood should surely improve the fielding.

He was one of the two assistant coaches for the Ashes. Thorpe was mainly responsible for the batting and Collingwood for the fielding.

The Jacko to Silverwood’s Adkins .  Actually, that’s unfair on Silverwood .  
  • England Women won the toss and elected to bat. At 30-2 off 14 overs, I fear no one informed our batters that, whilst this is part of the Ashes, this is actually a 50 over game! Tammy Beaumont is 11* off 43 balls! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Really not sure what England and specifically Beaumont is doing here - she is currently on 15 off 58 balls out of 51-2 off 20 overs. Sciver is 23 off 36.
  • I remember talking to some knowledgeable Durham supporters a few years ago. They certainly admired his gritty attitude but thought he was a poor communicator, somewhat aloof and not good with the younger players. If true, I hope he has improved his skills since retiring from playing.
  • My mate spoke to him in a bar near the end of his playing days and he was a bit of a knob and aloof as TMA says and Collingwood was similar 😜
  • Across the Mens, Lions & Womens teams we lost 14-0 in Oz this winter.... 
  • So no Broad or Anderson for the West Indies tour. 
  • The last gunslinger vibes...
  • Appreciate that Foakes deserves his chance but it seems a bit harsh that Billings has been totally left out of the squad - he's gone from carrying the drinks for years to answering an SOS with a 12 hour trek across Australia to being totally dumped. Also a bit surprised that Malan has been omitted but I suppose that we are looking to the future and good to see us trying a few new faces rather than constantly recalling the same old ones.

• Root has been told he's got to bat at 3. Does this mean that Pope will move up to 4 followed by Stokes, Bairstow and Foakes?
  • I'm confused by that squad. Dropping the entire top 3 that started the series must be unprecedented. 

Lees and Crawley the only openers, and either Root or Bairstow will have to play number 3
  • Sponsored links:

• I think they just want to have a look at a bunch of players without as much scrutiny of a home series. 

• A central contract should preclude playing franchise cricket anyway. 

You either take the guaranteed money for being contracted to England or you chase the franchise cash. 

• MrOneLung said:
    I think they just want to have a look at a bunch of players without as much scrutiny of a home series. 

If Pope and Lawrence score runs, does that make them better suited than Burns, Hameed or Malan next time we play a high profile series? 
  • MrOneLung said:
    I think they just want to have a look at a bunch of players without as much scrutiny of a home series. 

If Pope and Lawrence score runs, does that make them better suited than Burns, Hameed or Malan next time we play a high profile series? 
    Yes
  • I love Woakes but its a waste of a selection for me. Proved himself too ineffective away from Home too many times. I hope Parkinson actually plays this series
  • Parkinson MUST play the first Test
  • Lawrence is a lucky young man, all these foreign trips and no work, he must have a lovely tan ((:>)
  • Is this series on sky?
  • Is this series on sky?

BT I believe
  • Because I had to go fishing for the squad list, posting it here...