Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Another Shooting In America?

Comments

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    WSS said:
    They definitely have knives in America as well...

Without looking at the stats, I can imagine 'per head' they are just as bad (if not worse) than us in terms of knife-based murders.
    They do indeed.

5 per million killed by knives in the USA vs about 3.3 in the UK.
    About 34 per million killed by guns in the USA vs about 0.3 in the UK.

Americans play on average 7.7 hours of video games a week vs 7.17 in the UK, so not a huge difference. 
    I'm certainly no expert, but the way the UK seems to be going i'd expect that gap to close in the coming years.

Saw a video on twitter a couple of weeks ago where a woman was pushed over and then stabbed by a schoolkid in Croydon. He didn't give a shit, done in broad daylight, in front of people filming and at least 50 onlookers. 
    All the figures I can find seem to indicate knife crime peaked in early 2019 and has been declining ever since. Will need more data to determine if this decline is purely down to Covid, or whether it is a longer term trend.
  • Options
    “People are the problem not guns!”
    If people are the problem perhaps they shouldn’t have access to guns.
  • Options
    “It’s mental health issues” - mental health is not exclusive to the USA

”It’s violent video games” - violent video games are available worldwide

The issue, plain and simple, is access to guns.
    If we had more access to guns in the UK there would be carnage. There are plenty of f***ed up people in the UK.

The availability of guns in the US is insane...
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    WSS said:

Without looking at the stats, I can imagine 'per head' they are just as bad (if not worse) than us in terms of knife-based murders.
    They do indeed.

Americans play on average 7.7 hours of video games a week vs 7.17 in the UK, so not a huge difference. 
    I'm certainly no expert, but the way the UK seems to be going i'd expect that gap to close in the coming years.

Saw a video on twitter a couple of weeks ago where a woman was pushed over and then stabbed by a schoolkid in Croydon. He didn't give a shit, done in broad daylight, in front of people filming and at least 50 onlookers. 
    The UK has been going to the dogs for 50 years. 

The rates are not increasing rapidly. Nothing has changed from 10 years ago other than people's imaginations. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I think SELR was agreeing with you rather than disagreeing - ie people have been saying the country has been going down the pan for 50 years.

Either way, you're spot on.

My hypothesis is that the innocence of youth will always have human beings believe that life was better/safer when you were a kid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    WSS said:

They do indeed.

The UK has been going to the dogs for 50 years. 

The rates are not increasing rapidly. Nothing has changed from 10 years ago other than people's imaginations. 
    A lot longer than that even
  • Options
    The massive problem is that an average American sees keeping a gun as a way of protecting his home and family. An intruder even if carrying full well knows this. How do you reverse the status quo so that the homeowner isn’t armed and therefore the intruders don’t feel the need to be likewise “protected” ? It’s just not possible to make the reverse. It’s too late. That’s not even taking into consideration that there is not the slightest will or inclination to do so. 
  • Options
    I think SELR was agreeing with you rather than disagreeing - ie people have been saying the country has been going down the pan for 50 years.

My hypothesis is that the innocence of youth will always have human beings believe that life was better/safer when you were a kid.
    No - he was saying the UK has been going to the dogs for 50 years - I was pointing out that, over that period, the UK has, instead got FAR safer than it was. I'm sure we had this discussion a couple of years ago...
  • Options
    I think it was sarcasm...
  • Options
    From where we view this from, there isn't really two positions. Of course the US needs tighter gun controls. What is interesting, is how a significant number of Americans see it otherwise. It just shows you how easy it is to be wrong and blind yourself to facts.
  • Options
    I’m late to this because I couldn’t bring myself to the subject but although there are multiple studies that confirm that violence in video games does not breed violence I can’t help thinking that it’s not a healthy thing to normalise violence in what are effectively toys. I don’t think the world would be a worse place if violent games didn’t exist. 
  • Options

America chose their Sandy Hook response instead. Which one turned out better? 
  • Options
    This is where our current Prime Minister stood on the debate at the time, surprised? 

• Options
    From where we view this from, there isn't really two positions. Of course the US needs tighter gun controls. What is interesting, is how a significant number of Americans see it otherwise. It just shows you how easy it is to be wrong and blind yourself to facts.
    I think the cultural aspects hit the nail on the head. The US is steeped in gun culture, based on a twisted understanding of the premise of the second amendment and historical myths / utter nonsense about "freedom". The genie is out of the bottle and can never be put back in. They cant even manage to introduce sensible background checks to weed out some of the nutnuts that want stupidly powerful guns. The whole system there is completely bizarre to anyone outside the USA, but they are surrounded by it from birth so it is normalised for them. The victims of these shootings absolutely dont deserve it, but the USA as a nation absolutely does. Let them murder each other and live in fear of random attacks, and their kids be shot in primary schools, so long as they have their freedom.
    Totally fucked as a country.
  • Options

No - he was saying the UK has been going to the dogs for 50 years - I was pointing out that, over that period, the UK has, instead got FAR safer than it was. I'm sure we had this discussion a couple of years ago...
    Nope Callum has it right in one. 

People are always saying the current generation are worse than the ones before, it is never true. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Nope Callum has it right in one. 

People are always saying the current generation are worse than the ones before, it is never true. 

Ha. The subtlety in your response evaded me. I've been on Twitter too long... 😏
  • Options
    This is where our current Prime Minister stood on the debate at the time, surprised? 

That article is shocking, but in fairness he probably doesn’t believe a word of it, in 1997 I imagine the idea from his point of view would’ve been to look good in the eyes of the conservative hierarchy and the telegraph bosses, protecting old money at all costs.

• Options
    Why can't we have a law that makes carrying a knife unless in the line of your business, a custodial offence?
  • Options
    Why can't we have a law that makes carrying a knife unless in the line of your business, a custodial offence?
    The prisons would be full in a matter of days.
  • Options
    I’m late to this because I couldn’t bring myself to the subject but although there are multiple studies that confirm that violence in video games does not breed violence I can’t help thinking that it’s not a healthy thing to normalise violence in what are effectively toys. I don’t think the world would be a worse place if violent games didn’t exist. 
    Not a worse place for you, sure, what about those people that enjoy games and have never considered shooting anyone?

Switzerland has both high gun ownership rates and violent video games, yet these mass shootings don’t seem to be such an issue. The problem is not guns (although they make the problem worse), or video games, it’s the absolutely flawed mindset of so many Americans. 
  • Options
    Not a worse place for you, sure, what about those people that enjoy games and have never considered shooting anyone?

Switzerland has both high gun ownership rates and violent video games, yet these mass shootings don’t seem to be such an issue. The problem is not guns (although they make the problem worse), or video games, it’s the absolutely flawed mindset of so many Americans. 
    Gun ownership in Switzerland is very different to the US and is mainly linked with the Swiss having to do compulsory national service and being able to step up for service or training at any time during their nine year availability to serve.

As a result many Swiss keep their military firearms at home as they need to do once a year testing, but they are not supposed to keep ammunition at home.

So, yes, gun ownership in Switzerland is very high but the guns are held by trained soldiers not some inbred teenage redneck fuckwit angry cause he can’t get laid.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Which links in with the messed up mindset and that Tom, Dick or Harry can own a gun in the states, it’s insane. 
  • Options
    You know the real problem here is that there is too many doors.
  • Options
    The thing is, a well adjusted person can watch and enjoy violent films and video games and not copy them. Personally, I don't think there is a firm link and the important factor is a messed up individual. In America you can be messed up and still access or own a gun. Imagine how scary that would be if it was the case here?
  • Options
    The thing is, a well adjusted person can watch and enjoy violent films and video games and not copy them. Personally, I don't think there is a firm link and the important factor is a messed up individual. In America you can be messed up and still access or own a gun. Imagine how scary that would be if it was the case here?
    I agree entirely with this point of a well-adjisted person being perfectly able to watch violent films and video games and not copy them. But ...because clearly there are large numbers of people who are NOT well adjusted ~ I say, out of charity , for those not so well-adjusted, we ban this stuff. This reasoning can be applied to alcohol, gambling  and many other very very harmful things in society.  For too long now we have allowed so many things in our permissive and broken society not with the vulnerable ever in mind but the strong. 

It is time we make a decision based on what is actually better for society. I don't see what harm it brings to anyone well adjusted or vulnerable, when we decide to shelve violent films and video games. I'd certainly not stop there either.