Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Fleetwood v Charlton | Saturday 17 September 2022 3:00PM

edited September 2022 in General Charlton
I’m going to keep it simple. Fleetwood started the better side and dominated the first half, taking a one nil lead into the break.

Charlton made changes in the second half, bringing on Egbo and shifting formation, which brought us back into the game. Fleetwood lost all momentum and looked tired in the legs quite early into the second. Egbo found himself in the box with plenty of room on the right side and his cross almost found the back of the net when it spun back out from the inside far post. ALthough we looked better (we hit the crossbar too), it didn’t look like we had enough to get back into it.

Until Miles Leaburn came on. He brought us level with an audacious back heal! With renewed confidence, we then had a few chances to take all three points. Rak Sakyi had a couple of break away opportunities, but he couldn’t find the winner.

Unfortunately it wasn’t to be. We come away with a point, but we’re really not very good. We’re missing some key ingredients and a lot of confidence.

Fleetwood 1 Charlton 1

Over to you.

Comments

• Much better second half but that is a really crap result for a team that's supposedly after promotion. 
  • The whole thing is too embarrassing. Drawing to Forest Green and Fleetwood. It is so embarrassing. Walked past two Toolbox neighbours yesterday. Gave them the bird of course, and they said "But you are shxt". I said "I know. I ain't gonna defend us". Today's result says it all. 
  • Croydon said:
    Much better second half but that is a really crap result for a team that's supposedly after promotion. 
    Who thought we were after promotion with that squad ?
  • Nine games played, still only two losses.

Our problem is converting the draws into losses. Either by keeping goals out more efficiently or showing more quality in the box.

2-2 vs Accrington
    1-1 vs Cambridge
    1-1 vs Wycombe
    1-1 vs Forest Green
    1-1 vs Fleetwood

are all missed opportunities.
    Swindon MK2
  • Sponsored links:

• Awful first half, wrong formation and deserving to lose - second half changes worked 433 suits CBT and Rak Sakyi far better and we started to look more threatening, good to see Egbo he looks good going forward and what a finish from young Leaburn.

Still so frustrating that we miss having the right players in key positions - left back and up top where Stockley looks poor whatever formation we play - did he even win an attacking header today?
  • This is last season all over again. Fed up with it all. Much better 2nd half yes, but my Christ we are so bang average. It's depressing with our club at the moment it really is. Need a massive change in culture at the club and that starts from the top.
  • edited September 2022
    Got to be reasonably content with a point after a dire first half. Let’s hope that Ben Garner doesn’t repeat the misguided approach of playing Corey-Blackett at right back and Rak-Sakyi as a second striker.

We were much better in the second half, with Egbo and Fraser particularly impressive and Miles Leaburn’s excellent finish earned us a deserved point. 
  • Point closer to safety 
  • First half sounded absolute unadulterated crap! The formation was quite clearly wrong with the players we have, obviously thankful that the formation was changed and to me it sounded as though Egbo made a huge difference. For me, and I may get pelters for this, I'm glad we didn't win it as it would've papered over the poor first half. Don't get me wrong I want us to win every game, but sometimes a result like Tuesdays and today's may kick some much needed realism into TS and Co.
  • At work on 12 hours and it's one of those easy Saturdays when just me and the shift team are having a quiet plant behaving day.

Couldn't be bothered to see how we were getting on until a few minutes ago. Not surprised we didn't win at all.
  • Sponsored links:

• aliwibble said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Croydon said:
    Much better second half but that is a really crap result for a team that's supposedly after promotion. 
    I refer the honorable gentleman to the "HMS Piss the League" memes after the Plymouth game.
    Plymouth have won all their games since apart from today and they should have done.
  • aliwibble said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Croydon said:
    I refer the honorable gentleman to the "HMS Piss the League" memes after the Plymouth game.
    Plymouth were 2-1 up until the 94th minute today and now sit third 3 points off top!
  • Swindon unbeaten in 8.
    ‘ Their maniacal laughter and their ghastly gratitude’………..
    ( someone will get that ).
  • SDAddick said:
    First half was awful, worse than Bolton because Bolton are a good, well-drilled side. Second half was much better without being fantastic. It really shows that two decent halves and we could very well have won. 

The thing that gives me hope is Sess and Egbo as overlapping fullbacks next week with JRS and CBT on the flanks and Leaburn up front. That will feel more like the side we were hoping for in terms of quality and mobility. 

But we have to stop letting in soft goals. 
    Agreed - whilst I've been moaning about us not getting a centre forward to fit the system we also look all over the place at the back a lot of the time and have been saved by the oppositions poor end product quite often