Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We take more away than Millwall

Comments

• Options
    Plymouth's support is incredible. 
    In terms of the distance they travel it is, but they're top of the league so it's expected they'd take good numbers away. I'm more impressed with Bristol Rovers and Port Vale, they both average less than 9k at home but are taking over 1k away.
    Yes very good (BR and PV) though newly promoted teams do usually have good numbers in their 1st season.
  • Options
    Plymouth's support is incredible. 
    In terms of the distance they travel it is, but they're top of the league so it's expected they'd take good numbers away. I'm more impressed with Bristol Rovers and Port Vale, they both average less than 9k at home but are taking over 1k away.
    Vale away compared to home not surprising. Who wouldn’t rather go somewhere else other than Stoke?
  • Options
    Or outsell L1 Sunderland at Wembley 
  • Options

Typical Charlton. Only turn up in numbers when the opposition is a PL team 😉
    Hmmmm 
    not when we were in the PL ! 
  • Options

Typical Charlton. Only turn up in numbers when the opposition is a PL team 😉
    Hmmmm 
    not when we were in the PL ! 
    When you was at home you did. 
  • Options
    I’d love to know your username on spanners online millwallfan 😂 165 pages…

Obsessed and last night showed the reason that you will never ever ever be as big as us whatever league we are in 

• Options
    edited January 2023

Obsessed and last night showed the reason that you will never ever ever be as big as us whatever league we are in 

Never ever ever?
  • Options
    That’s right Wippa 😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Isn’t fretting about whether Millwall are ‘bigger’ than us or we are ‘bigger’ than Millwall missing the point.
    If that concerns people they can support the team whose fans are obsessed with how big they are, I give you Manchester United, the football equivalent of MacDonalds.
    MacDonalds are the biggest fast food chain in the world yet the fare they have on offer is rank.
    It isn’t size so much as quality, and it is quality that differentiates Charlton and Millwall.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Isn’t fretting about whether Millwall are ‘bigger’ than us or we are ‘bigger’ than Millwall missing the point.
    If that concerns people they can support the team whose fans are obsessed with how big they are, I give you Manchester United, the football equivalent of MacDonalds.
    MacDonalds are the biggest fast food chain in the world yet the fare they have on offer is rank.
    It isn’t size so much as quality, and it is quality that differentiates Charlton and Millwall.
    Luckily my wife feels the same.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    yeah, that's why they are a league above us 
  • Options
    edited January 2023

So taking big numbers to a one off cup game against glamorous opposition decides the size of club you are? Hmmm, it doesn’t really does it? I remember Northampton took about 7000 to Chelsea one year in the cup. 

We took over circa 10k to Luton for an fa cup quarter final back in the 80’s. We wasn’t a big club then and we aren’t now. Difference is we don’t care how fans of other clubs perceive us, or whether we’re classed as ‘big’ or not. In fact most of our fans revel on the fact that we’re a small club who regularly punch above our weight. 

But to a lot of charlton fans, it seems to really bother them as to whether they’re seen as big or not. I mean it really bothers a lot on here that you have to even play in league one at all, and that palace are classed as (much) bigger than you these days. 
  • Options

So taking big numbers to a one off cup game against glamorous opposition decides the size of club you are? Hmmm, it doesn’t really does it? I remember Northampton took about 7000 to Chelsea one year in the cup. 

We took over circa 10k to Luton for an fa cup quarter final back in the 80’s. We wasn’t a big club then and we aren’t now. Difference is we don’t care how fans of other clubs perceive us, or whether we’re classed as ‘big’ or not. In fact most of our fans revel on the fact that we’re a small club who regularly punch above our weight. 

But to a lot of charlton fans, it seems to really bother them as to whether they’re seen as big or not. I mean it really bothers a lot on here that you have to even play in league one, and that palace are classed as (much) bigger than you these days. 
    I think that's nonsense tbf. Yes, it bothers some fans, as it no doubt bothers some Millwall fans. 

I think your general point is correct. Us taking 9k to United last night doesn't really prove anything, it was a one off, unique game. The positive from a Charlton fans view of course is that it gives us the hope that ultimately, the fans are still there if we can sort ourselves out off the pitch. 
    Well I’m only talking from my experience. What I’ve seen on here and in meeting charlton fans in the flesh. And I’ve yet to meet a Millwall fan who cares whether we’re classed as small or not. As I say, we usually revel in it, biggest small club in the world and all that. 

It must really rile certain charlton fans, when they continually dig their nearest rivals out for being small, like we care, but have since become small yourself. For people who care so much about the perceived size of their club, where it stands in the football pyramid, and its potential, that must hurt. 
  • Options

But to a lot of charlton fans, it seems to really bother them as to whether they’re seen as big or not. I mean it really bothers a lot on here that you have to even play in league one, and that palace are classed as (much) bigger than you these days. 
    I think that's nonsense tbf. Yes, it bothers some fans, as it no doubt bothers some Millwall fans. 

I think your general point is correct. Us taking 9k to United last night doesn't really prove anything, it was a one off, unique game. The positive from a Charlton fans view of course is that it gives us the hope that ultimately, the fans are still there if we can sort ourselves out off the pitch. 
    Well I’m only talking from my experience. What I’ve seen on here and in meeting charlton fans in the flesh. And I’ve yet to meet a Millwall fan who cares whether we’re classed as small or not. As I say, we usually revel in it, biggest small club in the world and all that. 

It must really rile certain charlton fans, when they continually dig their nearest rivals out for being small, like we care, but have since become small yourself. For people who care so much about the perceived size of their club, where it stands in the football pyramid, and its potential, that must hurt. 
    It bothers all fans -it bothered the Wealdstone raider, it bothers us and it bothers you - why jokingly call yourself the biggest small club in the world if it doesn’t mean anything? You’re kidding no one 
  • Options

But to a lot of charlton fans, it seems to really bother them as to whether they’re seen as big or not. I mean it really bothers a lot on here that you have to even play in league one at all, and that palace are classed as (much) bigger than you these days. 
     i thought at least half of those were west ham fans??
  • Options
    Mate im only taking the piss

But on your main fans forum you have a 165 page thread on us

Don’t see many about your lot on here

You care about us a lot more than you think

(and you wouldn’t take 9k to Manchester midweek) 😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Mate im only taking the piss

But on your main fans forum you have a 165 page thread on us

Don’t see many about your lot on here

You care about us a lot more than you think

(and you wouldn’t take 9k to Manchester midweek) 😂
    Mate, you used to have some mammoth Millwall related threads on here! It’s what drew me to the forum in the first place!. 

Only reason there’s not many at the moment is because there’s not much to gloat about. When we swap places with you in the (hopefully) distant future, and we’re shit again and you’re half decent, they’ll be back with a vengeance 😆
  • Options
    Feck it.
    Why don’t we merge the two clubs?
    They were called ‘Millwall Athletic’, so we can keep half the name, ‘Athletic’ for their sake, and half of our name, Charlton is kept for balance.
    As for colours keep the white to honour Millwall’s tradition, and the red to honour ours.
    As for the stadiums, they play at ‘The’ toolbox, so out of respect they keep the ‘The’, and we keep the ‘Valley’ part of our ground name and obviously the new team play there because it has a much bigger capacity.

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Feck it.
    Why don’t we merge the two clubs?
    They were called ‘Millwall Athletic’, so we can keep half the name, ‘Athletic’ for their sake, and half of our name, Charlton is kept for balance.
    As for colours keep the white to honour Millwall’s tradition, and the red to honour ours.
    As for the stadiums, they play at ‘The’ toolbox, so out of respect they keep the ‘The’, and we keep the ‘Valley’ part of our ground name and obviously the new team play there because it has a much bigger capacity.

Even after all that i still doubt our away attendances will be up too much 
  • Options

I don't doubt it bothers some Charlton fans. I've seen and had conversations with Millwall fans who discuss the size of the club, so it clearly bothers some. 

Each to their own, I've never seen Charlton as a big club. We punched above our weight, now we're underachieving. Football goes round in circles. None if it particularly bothers me to be honest. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

It bothers all fans -it bothered the Wealdstone raider, it bothers us and it bothers you - why jokingly call yourself the biggest small club in the world if it doesn’t mean anything? You’re kidding no one 
    I can assure you it really doesn’t. The reason we call ourselves the biggest small club in the world is because we’re a small club who everyone seems to have heard of. Not always for the right reasons granted, but everyone has heard of little old Millwall. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

I can assure you it really doesn’t. The reason we call ourselves the biggest small club in the world is because we’re a small club who everyone seems to have heard of. Not always for the right reasons granted, but everyone has heard of little old Millwall. 
    It is the only reason why anyone outside, who doesn't know English football, has ever heard of you.

• Options
    DOUCHER said:

It is the only reason why anyone outside, who doesn't know English football, has ever heard of you.

Probably. But just explaining the biggest small club thing 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

It bothers you as much as it bothers us - not that much but it does 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

We average between 12 and 15k home fans at championship level. In what world would we ever be classed as anything but a small club? 

You got over inflated crowds during your PL days by bussing neutrals in from the Home Counties. It went to your fans heads and they started getting delusions of grandeur. They thought you was bigger than you actually was. Now you’re back to your core support and your crowds are a bit naff again, and it doesn’t sit right with a lot of your fans. The very fact that you try to goad us by calling us small shows how much it actually means to you. 

Show me any evidence that we care. You won’t find any. As I said, we revel in the fact that we’re a small club punching above our weight. Look how many PL clubs we have knocked out of the cup in the last 10 years. We love that. Our duels with Leeds, a real big club, in the third tier a few years back and often coming out on top, we loved that, We love being the small club who takes it to the bigger clubs. Fear no foe and all that. 

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

I can honestly say hand on heart that it doesn't at all bother me. I support Charlton cos of the area i grew up in and because of family. Never really thought about how big or small we were in the football pyramid.