Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD; Charlton Athletic V Bolton Wanderers | Saturday 28th January 2023 | KO 12.30pm

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2023
    They looked the best team we have faced this season. Very sharp passing going forwards and strong defensively. Not too down after that, but it is where we need to get to. Penney was slightly disapointing but to be fair it was his debut. 
  • Options
    I thought we gave it a good go lots of effort & fight still need to get our defense sorted out but definitely an improvement overall 
  • Options
    But the defence did well with some last ditch blocks to be fair. That Santos is a monster. Reminds me of Bikey in a way and very hard to get the better of. When Johnstone went off I thought it might help us but the lad who came on was twice as good. You sort of know it isn't going to be your day when that happens.
  • Options
    Today’s game showed us how far we need to go in our football to be able to compete with the teams at the top. There was quite a gulf in quality between the type of football both teams played. Bolton are one of the best sides we have played at home this season and we could not match the quality of their football.

The players gave they’re all and full marks for that, but defence and attack is still lacking.
  • Options
    2nd best all over the pitch

strangest part of the day, sitting in the North Upper and my Flashscore app pings goal Bolton…1-2…..I show my mate and we carry on watching, they attack down the right and less than 60 seconds after the ping, they score.

f**king freaky 
    I had this too. Was super freaky. We’re in the Matrix and we still lose!
  • Options
    Bang average performance against a side slightly better than us, JRS miss in the second half just about summed it up. Innis is at times a liability, for a big lad doesn't  win many headers.
    Penney looked lightweight and was no wonder Ipswich put him out on loan.
    Holden needs backing with a few quid, but once again an underwhelming window. 
    Another season in the 3rd division beckons. 
    Slightly? 

Bit of an understatement to put it mildly.
  • Options
    Bang average performance against a side slightly better than us, JRS miss in the second half just about summed it up. Innis is at times a liability, for a big lad doesn't  win many headers.
    Penney looked lightweight and was no wonder Ipswich put him out on loan.
    Holden needs backing with a few quid, but once again an underwhelming window. 
    Another season in the 3rd division beckons. 
    Slightly? 

Bit of an understatement to put it mildly.
    Yeah you got me, they were much better organised.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I Predicted the score  Well beaten by the better team. They missed so many chances, we would be going mad if we did the same.

Penney had a poor debut. Bonnie was inefective. JRS went a went AWOL.

We completed but were second best. 

Plan for next season....
  • Options
    The two new boys were pretty poor today and will not get us out of this shit division.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Bolton were in such a mess recently they had to play their entire youth team in first team games, now they're beating us comfortably and gunning for promotion. We are still a shambles behind the scenes. 
  • Options
    Yep pretty much the benchmark of where we are and it's someway off completing for playoffs. Effort was there but just not good enough. The Rak Saki miss was costly as if that went I we may have held on. May have . DH did say lots of work to do still. Wonder what his situation will be at the end of the season when his contract expires? Another season to look forward to in division 3.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    ct_addick said:
    Bonne showed why he couldn’t make it in the champiosship….shouldn’t start…..Leaburn would have been better 
    Bone wasn't the problem
    But he was A problem.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    The issue we have is that other than Fraser, our bright spots going forward are likely to be the loanees that are leaving us at the end of the season. 

There's nothing to really build from into next year, especially if Leaburn goes too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Has santos let bonne out of his pocket yet ? Literally pulled his pants down the whole game
    Christ, not sure how I missed that! You'd think the ref would say something at some point
    The laughable ref let Santos brutalise anyone in red with total impunity, not that Santos and Bolton needed any help today.
  • Options
    Strangely I felt disappointed with the result but happy with the scoreline, because they could have put four or five past us. We put in a lot of effort, but football wise we were a long way short of Bolton. Our passing isn't always what it should be, our decision making often poor,  we struggled to get into good scoring positions and our defenders don't always recover quickly enough. Despite all those things, the number one training session for next week has to be to teach Macauley Bonne about the off side law. Next up, explain to Blackett-Taylor that he is allowed to pass. I thought Maynard-Brewer was our man of the match, that's rarely a good sign. Of the outfield players, I thought Rak Sakyi was the cream of the crop though I wish he'd give Simon Church those sponge-foot boots back. For all your skills Jesurun, sometimes you just have to put your foot through the ball. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Reality check for anyone who was foolish enough to believe we are now a playoff challenger. Bolton much much better than us at the business ends of the pitch. We remain decent 40 yards from either goal, but neither prevent or create enough chances to win consistently. 

I would say that we got into just as many good areas as they did but, while they excelled and finding space and picking out players with accurate clever passes, we, once again, excelled at running down dead ends and picking out defenders with our final ball.

Fraser the only one of our attacking players close to having that speed of foot and mind but even he does a nice line in passing to defenders when it really counts.

Hate digging out individuals, but I have to get it off my chest, I thought Bonne was shite and offered no more than Stockley would have done. And was moaning at his teammates almost as much as well. Doesn’t look to have evolved as a player at all in his time away. Still looks not quite fast enough, not quite strong enough, and not quite bright enough. 
    Echo all of that, especially the bit about Bonne. Thought we pulled QPR's pants down when they paid us £2m for him & nothing I've seen since has made me change my mind. 

Why oh why do we always go for the wrong player. Stockton is available yet we go for another non scoring forward
    That would be the Stockton who has scored 1 goal in 20 League appearances this season yes? Absolute machine there.
    Scored today 
  • Options
    I obviously watched a different game because I thought Penney looked quite good. Steady & had left foot which means he can take the ball forward & cross on the run rather than stopping, turning onto his right & then passing infield. 

• Options
    How many in the stadium today .obviously not 14400