Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD; Charlton Athletic V Bolton Wanderers | Saturday 28th January 2023 | KO 12.30pm

Comments

• thenewbie said:
    ...a very clear cut example of the difference between genuine contenders and also rans.
    That's a very fair assessment. I find it hard too be too critical of the team after today's performance, ultimately the better team won. Their number 5 (no idea what he's called) was twice the size and speed of Bonne. I thought we were better with two up top when Leaburn came on, would be good to see more of that.
  • Stig said:
    Strangely I felt disappointed with the result but happy with the scoreline, because they could have put four or five past us. We put in a lot of effort, but football wise we were a long way short of Bolton. Our passing isn't always what it should be, our decision making often poor,  we struggled to get into good scoring positions and our defenders don't always recover quickly enough. Despite all those things, the number one training session for next week has to be to teach Macauley Bonne about the off side law. Next up, explain to Blackett-Taylor that he is allowed to pass. I thought Maynard-Brewer was our man of the match, that's rarely a good sign. Of the outfield players, I thought Rak Sakyi was the cream of the crop though I wish he'd give Simon Church those sponge-foot boots back. For all your skills Jesurun, sometimes you just have to put your foot through the ball. 
    And for his teammates to pass the ball forward faster, so that his "on the shoulder" runs beat the offside trap

Might also be nice if some of the officials also learnt the offside rule, terrible decisions made today...once for Bonne, but also fortunately nothing came from an offside not given against Jerome...
    Watching it on Sky I doubt even VAR could have given it. Our defender (Inness ?) Was running out as Jerome ran in. Very tight on the reply & I always like to give the benefit of the doubt to the attacker. A few years back there had to be "daylight" - in this instance there was none. 
  • We’ve are staying up - 

Best we can expect with the dumpster fire this club is.

I just wish I wasn’t actually into masochism instead of having it foisted upon me.

• Comparing the players on show I think Steve Gallen needs to get hold of the black box & shove it up Martin Sandgaard's arse.
    Our recruitment is terrible…..recycling ex-players is all they can do…
  • I have go along with the consensus. I enjoyed the game and was proud of the effort and commitment  we put in but the gulf in class was evident. 

My only other comment is that I am not a fan of our version of 4-3-3. Too often It looks like nine players trying to win a football match plus two silky wingers just there to entertain the fans with occasional flashes of individual skill.

• Bolton were more slicker than us and always seem to have players spare whatever the situation.

Didnt think we utilised Rak-saki enough during the game as i thought he had the beating of their full backs, or ping enough shots at their keeper who should have done better on Morgans effort.

Thought the ref was very poor today, first goal for them was never a free kick, which i think was awarded by the linesmen too.

Onwards and upwards, the top six have demonstrated the standards that require setting, even though we had (up to yesterday) a decent record against them at home this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Milan said:
    thenewbie said:
    ...a very clear cut example of the difference between genuine contenders and also rans.
    That's a very fair assessment. I find it hard too be too critical of the team after today's performance, ultimately the better team won. Their number 5 (no idea what he's called) was twice the size and speed of Bonne. I thought we were better with two up top when Leaburn came on, would be good to see more of that.
    There was one incident where Bonne had a clear yard start on Santos to a through ball, but then arrived a poor second.  It looked wrong given their physiques, but to give Santos due he can shift a bit once he gets in gear.

I was also impressed with the young Man U loanee Shola Shoretire.  He caused our defence a load of problems.  He apparently is the youngest player to represent United in European competition. Ian Evatt's assessment (below) seems spot on.

“I am really excited to work with him, he trained with us this morning and I saw a glimpse of what he will bring to us – that ability to receive 360 degrees in the centre of the pitch, the bit of explosive power to get away from people, the bit of magic and quality."
  • edited January 2023
    Bolton were better than I thought they would be. Having said that, I think we can still go on a run. We are not where we want to be yet, but it feels we are heading in that direction to me. Clearly this is Charlton so we are more than capable of changing that however.
  • edited January 2023
    1968CAFC said:
    It’s quite amazing how many people this forum
    think Bolton where a good team 🤣🤣🤣
    where you at the Game today ???

Their free Kick was excellent and a good set piece goal. their  second Goal was a gifted mistake by Big Ryan and overall apart from being one of the dirtiest bunch of bashers in the league,  like Charlton were poor at finishing.
    not a lot between both teams in the first half at all.
    we started the second half well and scored an excellent Goal, but sadly we’re not able to create 
    better chances in front of Goal.
    the referee as on so many occasions was fucking inept. and clueless.

unfortunately unless our “ Rock n Rock owner
    who has recently lost our Groundsman to Gillingham, invests in the required team improvements our potentially good young manager will eventually walk.

Charlton and Bolton on todays evidence will
    not be leaving League one this season.👎

I think that is unfair on Bolton. What I suppose could be argued is that they don't finish enough of the chances they make. I mean that free kick was excellent but shouldn't have been given and their other goal was down to an error. A forced error but an error all the same. Defensively they are very strong and they have just dipped into the transfer market to strengthen their attack, but yes they are a League One side and won't be without weaknesses.
  • edited January 2023
    Milan said:
    thenewbie said:
    There was one incident where Bonne had a clear yard start on Santos to a through ball, but then arrived a poor second.  It looked wrong given their physiques, but to give Santos due he can shift a bit once he gets in gear.

I was also impressed with the young Man U loanee Shola Shoretire.  He caused our defence a load of problems.  He apparently is the youngest player to represent United in European competition. Ian Evatt's assessment (below) seems spot on.

“I am really excited to work with him, he trained with us this morning and I saw a glimpse of what he will bring to us – that ability to receive 360 degrees in the centre of the pitch, the bit of explosive power to get away from people, the bit of magic and quality."

Fair enough, he has also perfected the art of cheating, and diving to get the free kick from which they scored, yep, United are certainly training them well!!
    Even Brownie thought it was a foul, so 'nuf said on that one...🙄
  • Beaten by the better team. They had better, stronger players all over the pitch. None of our players would get in their team.
    Yes . But I would say AMB could make a case. Their guy fluffed the goal we scored, equally AMB is culpable maybe in their 2nd. Those aside, AMB made more saves., and got something on that ball that hit the crossbar  in 1st half.
  • Smithy said:
    Felt we played pretty much the same as we did in recent victories, just this time we were playing a good team playing well. Bit of a reality check for anyone who thinks we could make a playoff charge as the difference in quality was significant.

I was pretty happy when I saw Bonne was starting as I thought the only chance we had was to stretch the defence with a quick front 3, but he just got dominated by probably the best centre back in the league. If the tactic was to play direct, why not start Leaburn? 
    totally
  • Sponsored links:

• 2nd best all over the pitch

strangest part of the day, sitting in the North Upper and my Flashscore app pings goal Bolton…1-2…..I show my mate and we carry on watching, they attack down the right and less than 60 seconds after the ping, they score.

f**king freaky 
    Perhaps you were imagining you were at the Valley, but were actually watching Sky at home? Was the Mrs cooking burgers?
  • Stig said:
    Strangely I felt disappointed with the result but happy with the scoreline, because they could have put four or five past us. We put in a lot of effort, but football wise we were a long way short of Bolton. Our passing isn't always what it should be, our decision making often poor,  we struggled to get into good scoring positions and our defenders don't always recover quickly enough. Despite all those things, the number one training session for next week has to be to teach Macauley Bonne about the off side law. Next up, explain to Blackett-Taylor that he is allowed to pass. I thought Maynard-Brewer was our man of the match, that's rarely a good sign. Of the outfield players, I thought Rak Sakyi was the cream of the crop though I wish he'd give Simon Church those sponge-foot boots back. For all your skills Jesurun, sometimes you just have to put your foot through the ball. 
    Hell I am not a Bonne fan, its meh signing. But got to say 1 of those offsides 2nd half near Curbishley stand was down to the player with the ball not playing it straight away -one touch. Instead 2 touches but Bonne has already gone and is offside. For that he has to break his run ,losing the pace and surprise element.

• I was really impressed with Bolton yesterday but they need to work on their finishing. They were stronger and fitter than us and knocked the ball out confidently.

We are still poor in possession and make too many mistakes at the back. The second goal we conceded yesterday was comical.

Plenty of effort but we lack quality. We definitely are L1 standard.
  • Milan said:
    thenewbie said:

Agree re quality of Boltons loanees, Shola Shoretire. How come they get him, we get Dylan Levitt?
  • Milan said:
    thenewbie said:

Agree re quality of Boltons loanees, Shola Shoretire. How come they get him, we get Dylan Levitt?
    Because they have a recruitment team that know what they're doing.
  • Milan said:
    thenewbie said:

Neighbours, we get Palace/Chelsea/Fulham.. they get United, location is everything it seems.
  • 2nd best all over the pitch

strangest part of the day, sitting in the North Upper and my Flashscore app pings goal Bolton…1-2…..I show my mate and we carry on watching, they attack down the right and less than 60 seconds after the ping, they score.

f**king freaky 
    Yep, my mate had that as well. 
    We were looking at his phone when Bolton scored. 
  • Just watched their second goal back a few times. Where is Innis heading the ball? 

Even if AMB stays back on his line there's a high likelihood of a goal from that. 
  • Chunes said:
    Just watched their second goal back a few times. Where is Innis heading the ball? 

Even if AMB stays back on his line there's a high likelihood of a goal from that. 
    I think Innis got a push in the back, which made his attempt at a header difficult, as for AMB in hindsight, yes stay on the line and all is fine, i'm afraid AMB and Clare were both guilty of ball watching, as usual, all is better in hindsight, wonderful thing...🙄
  • edited January 2023
    For as good as Bolton were, it was only 1-0 at half time from a fluke of an impossibly placed free kick that not only hit a spot no keeper can save it also hit the woodwork which 99 times out of a hundred would have resulted in the ball ending anywhere but the goal. Seconds after the 2nd half began Charlton were level and they could have shortly after gone ahead. If Bolton looked good and threatening when they had the ball then credit to the charlton players for being in the game and almost going ahead. My thoughts yesterday remain the same, we looked off the pace, CBT for as good as he can be shouldn’t start, that spot should have gone to Campbell because he’s constantly in the game whereas CBT isn’t. That would have taken some of the pressure off Penney. Bolton eventually won 2-1 because of a keystone cops cock up in charltons defence so basically for as good as they looked they could only manage to score by virtue of two fluke goals.