Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

John Motson RIP

Comments

• Options
    For my generation he is the voice of football commentary.  Growing up in the 90s when I first fell in love with the game it was the voice of Saturday night if I was allowed to stay up and watch match of the day, hearing him yell “Cantona” or “Shearer” was iconic to me, and then we reached the prem hearing him say “Rufus” and “Kinsella” was the answer to all my prayers, the moment where I remember thinking wow Charlton are in the big time.

RIP John Motson. 
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/CpALM8uIbNR/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Hairs on neck stuff.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    77, I thought he was a bit older than that, a major voice from the past .. R I P
  • Options
    Very sad, rest in peace. Incredible broadcaster/commentator and always came across a lovely bloke. 😥
  • Options
    Very sad. RIP but you will be always remembered. 
  • Options
    Since he started as a reporter in Sheffield and his very first match as a lad was at Charlton possibly we should ask the club for something before Saturdays Match?
  • Options
    RIP Motty 
  • Options
    You always knew who that voice belonged too. RIP Motty 😔
  • Options
    RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As Seth Plum mentioned, as a child John lived in Burrage Road where his father was minister at Trinity church. RIP
  • Options
    Charlton fan of course  ;)

RIP Motty.
  • Options
    Sleep tight, Motty.
  • Options
    RIP Motty. An institution 
    Won't lie. This one hurts a little bit more than the others we see on here.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Another good one gone.RIP
  • Options
    Spent an entertaining evening listening to him when he was the guest at Bromley Addicks at Bickley and Widmore WMC. Must be getting on for 25 years ago now. A true gentleman. RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've just seen the post from the museum. It was actually 27 years ago. Where does time go?
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Got me this one. Motty was *the* voice of my childhood: I always knew when he was on comms, the MOTD highlights I was about to watch were for a decent game (theoretically!). I can hear him vividly when I choose to recall, nearly as well as I can picture The Valley in my mind's eye.

And I'm certain my feelings probably echo those of fans up and down the country, and that there will be LOADS of threads like this one on various forums, where a great variety of clubs will have their story about him, recalling him fondly. I'd like to think he was a little fonder of us than most other clubs - but then it might be a little unfair to speculate that about such an icon when he was generous to a fault about the game as a whole and every club around.

RIP Motty.
  • Options
    Rest easy John 
  • Options
    Very sad to hear, an absolute legend. RIP Motty.
  • Options
    Sad sad news. As with many here my first understanding of football in the 70s came from him, Jimmy Hill and Brian Moore. He has joined them now in the Big Commentary box in the sky .RIP commentary genius.
  • Options
    One of the good guys. Never heard a bad word about Motty. RIP.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP. Along with Brian Moore, total legends.
  • Options
    Sad day and another iconic person of my childhood gone. Kinda of Ironic not long after the death of Ronnie Radford which kinda made Motty. R.I.P