Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Options

Huddersfield have just announced a CB. Edmonds-Green on his way to us?
  • Options
    Sorry, I wasn’t quite sure what team Fraser was linked to…?
  • Options
    edited January 18
    Think there is too much clamour for a big man! I’d like to see use more ball technicians, utilise combinations and rotations to open up the opposition and retain possession. Understand the necessity for variation but for me, rather not as have that as a plan A, unless they can fit both criteria 
    I get that. Both JRS have bagged a hat full of goals over the two seasons, even as short fellas, but they need a wingman. If Chuks and Leaburn aren't available out plan B is basically nobody. Limping along till the summer makes sense, so long as the limping is still producing points. 
  • Options
    edited January 18
    He’s the type of player that will always attract those sorts of comments from fans who just want 11 players on the pitch who get them off their seat.

Ikpeazu doesn’t (usually) do that but he’s the sort of player that can be essential in getting as much as you can out of the players around him. And we need someone like that at the top end of the pitch desperately.
    How much have you seen him play other than when we played them recently to make the call that we need him ‘desperately’ ?
  • Options
    Have worked out who Swisdom's CB/DCM is and I now have a Kinks song as an earworm.

Great song, no idea on the player but I'll give him 20 minutes into his debut before I judge him.
    https://youtu.be/320yV68ab5c?feature=shared
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Have worked out who Swisdom's CB/DCM is and I now have a Kinks song as an earworm.

Great song, no idea on the player but I'll give him 20 minutes into his debut before I judge him.
    Does he walk like a woman and talk like a man ……….
    Close but no cigar
    Is it a song on this list?

No
    Is he called Arthur?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Close but no cigar

I’m going with a yes.

Has to be Apeman, something we definitely don’t have.
  • Options
    edited January 18
    Carl Leaburn mark2?
    Mendonca on record...... 
    Who? 😉

Just hearing his name gives me that same feeling of a nice malt whiskey going down on a winters night. Gone but never forgotten. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 18
    fenaddick said:
    DOUCHER said:

Got to he honest, I'd be a bit underwhelmed by this. Stockton at least has a history of a decent strike rate, Goodwin has potential and JCH is an absolute bagsman that's also a physical presence. 

Uche is just a bit of a handful, poor strike rate.
    he's not perfect but the difference he'd make to our team would be huge 
    But he will also cost a fee? 

For me this just isn't a good signing, 29 in a month (same age as the 'old' JCH), barely made an impact anywhere he has played. 

This just smacks of desperation and not a signing where a plan has been put in place. I don't imagine he would be a part of our build for next season..

Hopefully Wycombe will outbid us on this one.
    The implication from that Sky paragraph is he’d be free. I’d imagine cheap wages too 
    If it was free it would be for next season, I can't imagine why Port Vale would be willing to lose one of their only strikers for free tbh. 

Cheap wages but still wages, could potentially be another one we have sitting their wasting wages and blocking other transfer activity.

Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:

Got to he honest, I'd be a bit underwhelmed by this. Stockton at least has a history of a decent strike rate, Goodwin has potential and JCH is an absolute bagsman that's also a physical presence. 

For me this just isn't a good signing, 29 in a month (same age as the 'old' JCH), barely made an impact anywhere he has played. 

This just smacks of desperation and not a signing where a plan has been put in place. I don't imagine he would be a part of our build for next season..

I don’t get the way of thinking (the last bit) - if we don’t get him what makes you think we’d get better? The longer we wait the more risk we end up with someone further down the list or worse, no new striker at all.

This could also be one of those situations where we have a few possibilities, but we have to keep some moving along to ensure we get the type of player we need, even if we have to go with a short term option.

Because we have been heavily linked with one of the best strikers in the league, it's quite underwhelming to go from that to a player who's probably not even top20 material.

Just don't think it's a good signing is all 
    No one thinks it's a very good signing.
    Many people think that if he's the best available to us for this season, then it's better than nothing.

Port Vale are level on points with Charlton and have a game in hand.
    If you think Port Vale would be wrong to sell/release him, I don't understand why you can't continue the thought process and think it would be beneficial to Charlton (to help avoid relegation). 
    Because one man's trash is another man's treasure and vice versa. 

I don't believe he would be as important to us as he is allegedly to Port Vale, the reviews seem mixed. 

I'll just wait and see (all we can do), either way, this is firmly starting to look like a typical January if it wasn't for Conor Coventry, especially if CBT does go and potentially Dobson.

Failed to get out top targets (except Coventry)

Failed to keep our prized assets (likely)

Added stop gaps and unproven players to the ranks to tide us over. Gillesphey will be Hector's replacement likely, so we still need another centre back.

I'll get stick for it, as anyone who doesn't praise them does, but we are miles off it still and a striker that doesn't score (I understand he has more to his game) and a third choice goalie isn't going to cut it. 
    Not really a fair assessment that though is it? We wanted to get a left sided centre half and we got the one we wanted in Gillesphey. We obviously bid for Abbey but he's got Premier League interest so that was never going to happen. Our top target up front was JCH but if we've had a £500k bid accepted, offered him more than£10k a week and he's said no because he wants more then what can we do? Goodwin is unfortunate but we got done on location, can't help that. We've had to go down our list on strikers but there's not a lot of obvious options out there and JCH sounds like he's been a bit of a penis. Appleton's first choice signing was clearly Fiorini and we got him along with a physical midfielder and Coventry who we beat a Championship team to. If we're changing formation to a shape that doesn't fit CBT and getting money to fund players who do then overall that's a positive. Coventry alone makes a better window than Bonne, Penney and Kilkenny
    The players you mention are replacing outgoing players though in all likeliness.

I think it's fair, but that's my view. I genuinely just shouldn't post about it as it just ends up being a case of people arguing over what they do when it's all irrelevant and they're going to do what they want in the end and we just have to watch it. 

Good luck to Uche

NabySarr said:
    fenaddick said:
    DOUCHER said:

The implication from that Sky paragraph is he’d be free. I’d imagine cheap wages too 
    If it was free it would be for next season, I can't imagine why Port Vale would be willing to lose one of their only strikers for free tbh. 

Cheap wages but still wages, could potentially be another one we have sitting their wasting wages and blocking other transfer activity.

Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:

I don’t get the way of thinking (the last bit) - if we don’t get him what makes you think we’d get better? The longer we wait the more risk we end up with someone further down the list or worse, no new striker at all.

This could also be one of those situations where we have a few possibilities, but we have to keep some moving along to ensure we get the type of player we need, even if we have to go with a short term option.

Because we have been heavily linked with one of the best strikers in the league, it's quite underwhelming to go from that to a player who's probably not even top20 material.

Just don't think it's a good signing is all 
    No one thinks it's a very good signing.
    Many people think that if he's the best available to us for this season, then it's better than nothing.

Port Vale are level on points with Charlton and have a game in hand.
    If you think Port Vale would be wrong to sell/release him, I don't understand why you can't continue the thought process and think it would be beneficial to Charlton (to help avoid relegation). 
    Because one man's trash is another man's treasure and vice versa. 

I don't believe he would be as important to us as he is allegedly to Port Vale, the reviews seem mixed. 

I'll just wait and see (all we can do), either way, this is firmly starting to look like a typical January if it wasn't for Conor Coventry, especially if CBT does go and potentially Dobson.

Failed to get out top targets (except Coventry)

Failed to keep our prized assets (likely)

Added stop gaps and unproven players to the ranks to tide us over. Gillesphey will be Hector's replacement likely, so we still need another centre back.

I'll get stick for it, as anyone who doesn't praise them does, but we are miles off it still and a striker that doesn't score (I understand he has more to his game) and a third choice goalie isn't going to cut it. 
    Is this your first January transfer window? Can’t expect them to fully rebuild the squad in January! 

It’s just about making some good signings, not being silly and overpaying, and leaving ourselves with less to do in the summer. I think we are doing a reasonable job at that so far, with 2 good permanent signings, and 2 loans that cover a short term need and could be potential permanent signings in the summer 
    Yes first January transfer window of course. 

So just for some clarity, this window doesn't count in the future when we discuss how many windows this regime has had? Cause so far the summer didn't count as they arrived too late, allegedly, and now January is a write off as it's a sellers market? 

Anyway yeah good signing, real strong lad, I'm sure he'll do a job at his 14th club. Can't wait to travel up and down the country to watch Uche do a job.
    You're getting more illogical with every post.
    Anyway, back to transfer rumours.
    I just lost interest after repeating myself. Thought I'd just join in and be happy over the signing. No matter what I use as my reasoning someone will flip it, rather than go up against the pack just best to go along with it.

That's how this thread goes. You simply cannot be against a signing or voice your views or it's a swarm of petty posts, subtle digs and a sense of unwelcome. 

With the greatest respect you can and have voiced your views, probably more than anyone else.
    You just get upset when the vast majority disagree with your views.
    No one is upset, do you really think if someone said this to me off of a forum/online I'd get upset? It's just tiresome when any poster I see (myself included) says they don't think x player is a good signing and it's met with LOLs, disagreements, remarks of not having a clue, view pushing etc. I don't think I've ever quoted someone who's positive and said 'you're completely wrong for being positive' or attempted to shut someone down for being happy about a signing. Maybe wanted an actual discussion but not a my way or the high way approach. I also don't think I've ever utilised that petty lol crap to undermine a post, only when I've genuinely been amused by a post.

I'd guess that's why a few people have given up posting who normally would in regards to a rumour or wanting to share their views as all constructive criticism is out of the window now. 

• Options
    What team is Fraser linked with? Can't see the article
    Also says he asked to return to Scotland for family reasons, and both the player and us have more lucrative offers from clubs in England.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Close but no cigar

No
    Is it Sir Ray Davies?
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    You’d hope we’re one of the clubs sniffing around
    I’d be surprised if we’re not since we tried to sign him in the summer.

Methven also mentioned Reading players on his podcast.
  • Options
    He must be either Swedish or from Addis Ababa, Waterloo the clue 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:

Close but no cigar

No
    Is it Sir Ray Davies?
    David Watts ?
  • Options
    edited January 18
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:

Close but no cigar

No
    Is it Sir Ray Davies?
    David Watts ?
    Think it is the Village Green Preservation Society if it is Edmunds Green 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What team is Fraser linked with? Can't see the article
    This got far too many bites…
    Far too helpful us lot. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Bailey said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:

Close but no cigar

No
    Is it Sir Ray Davies?
    David Watts ?
    Peckham boy as well 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

We are the Edmonds Green Preservation Society "
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Bailey said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:

Close but no cigar

No
    Is it Sir Ray Davies?
    David Watts ?
    And the winner is.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

We are the Edmonds Green Preservation Society "
    Have heard he has a definite reason on the way, to wanting to be back down south. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Forest were the other club doing the rounds but I don't know if their impending FFP sanction will affect any January business. 

Think Olympiacos will sign him and loan him to Forest to get around this as same owners.

As for Ikpeazu, whilst he scored against us I thought he was one of the most limited players I have seen. Just a big agricultural lump, most defences in this league will deal with him very easily. He definitely isn't an elite 8 signing and only just about would be a L1 bob average 8 signing.
    Maybe but we currently don’t have a L1 average physical striker in our entire squad that is fit and it’s killing us and has been for 2 months now 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Forest were the other club doing the rounds but I don't know if their impending FFP sanction will affect any January business. 

Think Olympiacos will sign him and loan him to Forest to get around this as same owners.

As for Ikpeazu, whilst he scored against us I thought he was one of the most limited players I have seen. Just a big agricultural lump, most defences in this league will deal with him very easily. He definitely isn't an elite 8 signing and only just about would be a L1 bob average 8 signing.
    Maybe but we currently don’t have a L1 average physical striker in our entire squad that is fit and it’s killing us and has been for 2 months now 
    Since Washington was shown the door, in my humble opinion. 
  • Options
    18 month contract sounds perfect to me. I think a big strong CF is very desirable in league one and that’s where we’ll be for the next 18 months. Even off the bench for last 20 minutes against tiring defenders I think he’d be valuable. 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    DOUCHER said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Since Washington was shown the door, in my humble opinion. 
    Different type of player - when leaburn and chucks were doing a job share we were fine