Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

League One Relegation Watch 2024

Comments

• Options
    Of course we can still be relegated, otherwise the odds wouldn't be available for it, without being pedantic. 

5 games to go and we probably need at least 3 draws and 2 losses to stay up minimum, even that might not be enough. I think 4 losses will send us down. It's extremely unlikely, but if Barnsley and Cambridge beat us, which isn't completely unlikely, and we can't manage to win our home game against Wigan, we could be going into the final two games needing a win pending other results around us. 

It isn't job done just yet, two woeful performances vs Exeter and Stevenage provided that. With how these lot are playing now, it still wouldn't surprise me if we muck it up somehow knowing us. There's a real air of complacency around the team atm with only a select few showing desire to finish the season strong. 

Fingers crossed we can snag two wins at some stage, I think it will be Shrewsbury and Wigan that will hopefully give those points over, but I'm a little bit worried about the other fixtures now after these last two results
    The performance against Fleetwood was woeful too.
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    Of course we can still be relegated, otherwise the odds wouldn't be available for it, without being pedantic. 

5 games to go and we probably need at least 3 draws and 2 losses to stay up minimum, even that might not be enough. I think 4 losses will send us down. It's extremely unlikely, but if Barnsley and Cambridge beat us, which isn't completely unlikely, and we can't manage to win our home game against Wigan, we could be going into the final two games needing a win pending other results around us. 

It isn't job done just yet, two woeful performances vs Exeter and Stevenage provided that. With how these lot are playing now, it still wouldn't surprise me if we muck it up somehow knowing us. There's a real air of complacency around the team atm with only a select few showing desire to finish the season strong. 

Fingers crossed we can snag two wins at some stage, I think it will be Shrewsbury and Wigan that will hopefully give those points over, but I'm a little bit worried about the other fixtures now after these last two results
    The performance against Fleetwood was woeful too.
    Yep another bad day at the office. 

Truth be told I haven't enjoyed most of the performances since Jones came in, not that I blame him at all, more so how poor the squad he has had to deal with. Shows his worth as a manager as we saw what it did to the two prior. 

I can't really speak for Bolton as I barely watched it on stream, fell asleep during the Northampton stream (might tell a story) and also watched the Portsmouth stream. But every other game bar Derby away has been pants to watch, the last 4 in particular. Thankfully we got the 3 points against Carlisle & Cheltenham or we'd be right in it. 

I don't mind the way Nathan Jones wants to play as I more care about Charlton getting promoted however they decide to do it, but my word it's extra boring when it's with players with limited ability. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Just because something's mathematically possible, doesn't mean it's going to happen, until 2 games ago we were still able to get a playoff place, mathematically, but in real life it wasn't on the cards.

Same here.

It's still possible to get relegated, mathematically, but we'd need to lose every game 4 or 5 nil and every team below us would have to win every remaining game or draw when they play eachother, for it to happen. 

100/1 odds on that happening are way lower than the actual probability of it happening 
    Agreed. The 100-1 odds reflect that the bookies don't expect something to happen, but have to give a price for it. Indeed anyone who is genuinely worried we'll go down should be sticking £10 on that...
  • Options
    edited April 2
    We won't go down. 

When was the last time we had such a shit season though... In fact, have we ever?

16th in L1. Losing our captain and talisman to Hungry. Lost to Newport, Gillingham and Crawley in the cups and drew with Cray Valley Paper Mills.

Not a single player or coach and certainly no one in the recruitment team can have any pride in that fiasco.

The Charlton History books are so littered with shocking Cup runs, I'm surprised we've not been fined

Getting to the QFs of the League Cup was the anomaly, this season was the norm 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can it happen.......YES

Will it happen........No

But we should never have been in this position. Even with Nathan Jones coming in & steadying the ship (only 1 loss in 11 and that was his first game in charge) we have looked devoid of ideas & about as lacklustre as you can get.

If we aren't going to be in this position this time next season there has to be major changes. Virtually a new squad (probably need at least 12 new players in) and some of the players under contract need to leave....even if it means doing a Kirk & paying them off (Fraser & Magrandles). 
  • Options
    We won't go down. 

When was the last time we had such a shit season though... In fact, have we ever?

16th in L1. Losing our captain and talisman to Hungry. Lost to Newport, Gillingham and Crawley in the cups and drew with Cray Valley Paper Mills.

Not a single player or coach and certainly no one in the recruitment team can have any pride in that fiasco.

The Charlton History books are so littered with shocking Cup runs, I'm surprised we've not been fined

Getting to the QFs of the League Cup was the anomaly, this season was the norm 

Our cup performances are always woeful but I can't remember another season we were the victim of 3 defeats against lower division opposition, let alone L2... And a draw v a team in the 8th tier (plus failing to keep a clean sheet against them over 2 matches!)
  • Options
    edited April 3
    Rothko said:
    Fucking hell, some of you, NJ has got a tune out of a squad that was in the shit 11 games ago, and most of us walking out of Reading thought we were fucked. It’s needs must football, and it’s been delivered with safety done and dusted, not losing to the 3 best teams in the league, and with a bit more quality, we would have won a few more. If you really believe there is a chance of going down, change your dealer. 

Decent summer recruitment, and we’ll be more then fine next year
    Away!!! After the home game against them, I doubt even those who never wanted Appleton could have foreseen that by the time we played them again, we'd be in danger of dropping into the bottom four. Wasn't Reading at home the high point of our season position wise, away the lowest?
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Fucking hell, some of you, NJ has got a tune out of a squad that was in the shit 11 games ago, and most of us walking out of Reading thought we were fucked. It’s needs must football, and it’s been delivered with safety done and dusted, not losing to the 3 best teams in the league, and with a bit more quality, we would have won a few more. If you really believe there is a chance of going down, change your dealer. 

"Decent summer recruitment....."

You must be new around here 😄. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Fucking hell, some of you, NJ has got a tune out of a squad that was in the shit 11 games ago, and most of us walking out of Reading thought we were fucked. It’s needs must football, and it’s been delivered with safety done and dusted, not losing to the 3 best teams in the league, and with a bit more quality, we would have won a few more. If you really believe there is a chance of going down, change your dealer. 

"Decent summer recruitment....."

You must be new around here 😄. 
    You are such a negative bore. Why do you even bother supporting the club.
  • Options
    To the golfie haters…..the smiley face emoji suggests that the comment was not a serious one
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carlisle officially down 
  • Options
    50 points.

With none of the bottom 4 winning I think we can say that we are safe. 
    Yes. I’ve felt we were safe 2 or 3 games ago, but now I think relegation is so unlikely as to be disregarded.

Of the bottom 5, Fleetwood and Carlisle now can’t catch us and the maximum points for Cheltenham, Port Vale and Burton if they all won all their remaining games is 56, 55 and 52 respectively. Our goal difference is 20 goals better than all of them and we’re on 50.

Absolutely no chance.
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic
    Reading
    421410185963-446
    Shrewsbury Town
    42137223159-2846
    Cambridge United
    41129203757-2045
    Port Vale
    411010213863-2540

Burton Albion

Cheltenham Town
    40108223456-2238
    Fleetwood Town
    41713214267-2534
    Carlisle United
    4269273975-3627

Looks like it'll go down to the wire between Cheltenham, Burton and Port Vale. 
  • Options
    Burton home to Cheltenham Tuesday week 4th bottom v 3rd bottom
  • Options
    edited April 6
    Not been to any of Cheltenham, Burton.or Vale grounds and would ear mark them for next season so hopefully Cambridge, Shrews or Reading can fall back!
  • Options
    Burton seem to have gone on that relegation run at the wrong time for them.
  • Options
    Not been to any of Cheltenham, Burton.or Vale grounds and would ear mark them for next season so hopefully Cambridge, Shrews or Reading can fall back!
    I’m hoping Cheltenham stay up because it’s the nearest ground to where I live. Nice club too.