Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Players out? (Racon to Greek club ?)

edited August 2010 in General Charlton
Focus has been on which players would come in and that seems settled now.

So which players, if any, will leave?

Fortune on loan seems very likely from Parky's statement on the OS.

Anyinsah and Benson coming would make it more likely that Tuna goes out on loan IMHO.

Stavinrou also has a lot of players ahead of him so maybe he and Mambo will go out on loan.

Youga is injured but will Racon go, either on loan or sold/released to free up wages?

Any one else?

Comments

• Youga is one that I think will leave once fit. Not sure how long is left on his contract or what we could get for him once fit but I think he could be one to go. Hope not. Hoping that youga can come back and fight for the lb place with fry pushing jacko into midfield
  • can see Racon going to help balance the books. Plenty of cover in midfield with Jackson, Martin, Stav etc.
  • Racon could go but I doubt there is much interest, Llera might also be a possible departure if we were offered cash.

Problem is that everybody, apart from those with rich benefactors, is skint.
  • Greek outfit Panionios have made a bid for Charlton's Therry Racon, skysports.com understands.

A number of Championship clubs had shown a strong interest in the 26-year-old midfielder, but now it seems the former Marseille and Guingamp man could be on his way to Greece.

Panionios are understood to be close to sealing a deal with League One side Charlton for Racon.
    The player and his representatives are now set to travel to Greece with a view to finalising a move.

Panionios have until Wednesday to wrap up a deal as the transfer window in Greece closes 24 hours later than in England.

does that mean we now need to sign another centre midfielder?
  • If they have bid for Racon then he will be going. Parky doesn't really seem to like him and all of our players are available for a decent fee. When Semedo and McCormack are both fit/not suspended then Racon is a bench warmer and we can't afford to turn down money for a substitute.

My take on it would be that we'd be happy to let him go for a small fee then see who's available on loan from the prem/championship once the window closes.
  • what Chris said
  • Racon has consistantly flattered to deceive.

Clearly he has something about him, never been convinced though.

IMHO he suffers from not being a genuine holding midfielder and not being a genuine creator.

He is, as we all know still on big wages, if we have been offered any amount of cash then I would snap it up.

I wouldn't go for a straight replacement. Personally I would get some cover in at left back - loan signing maybe. Play Fry there and get Jackson into CM asap.
  • Greek window closes Wednesday so could go through tomorrow.

Agree with what others have said. Not worth the wages he's on. Clem sums it up well, he's not a holding player nor is he a creative player (or goalscorer).
  • Racon has the best technique out of all of our players and is the only one that is really capable of producing moments of magic, however I have to agree that he hasn't shown it consistently enough. But I think he is a much better player than Alan McCormack and I saw Racon as our first choice pairing with Semedo and that McCormack was merely there because he was the current in-form midfielder with his place to be lost the second he has a bad a game. Racon is also now my favourite player after Burton leaving and I really don't want him to go and if we need the money then I'd rather we hadn't signed Benson who not only we've paid over the odds for, he is unproven, 30 and we need a pacy striker much more than him, instead we could have brought in a young striker on loan from the Premiership.
  • Surely all down to wages?

If he was on the £2000 per week squad average we were quoted last week, I'm pretty sure TR would be staying.

By the way, in the real world 2k a week is still quite a lot of money. I learnt at the weekend that Nottinghamshire CCC - who are about to win the county championship - have a self-imposed salary cap of £90,000 pa, which is less than 2k a week. That includes the Test trio of Broad, Swann and Sidebottom (although all get more from their England central contracts).

It explains why Ryan Sidebottom is leaving Notts at the end of this season, I guess !
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2010
    Understand the logic and financial implications but I'd prefer to keep Racon. Personally not seen anything particularly special in Allie Mac yet, likewise Jacksons yet to show me he's a significantly superior player. I accept Racon hasn't pulled up any trees either and his salary means he should perhaps be hitting higher standards. Personally though I think he's a good player and gets a bit of undue stick sometimes. He plays best next to Semedo and he hasn't done that yet this season, plus I don't think he's tactically given much licence to get forward and influence things in attack.

Would leave a bit of a hole in the sqaud again too imo - we'd potentially need a loanee, can't see Semedo and Mac staying suspension free for long and if Jacko is tied up at full-back I don't think Stav is really ready yet.

I should also add, if Racon does leave, that I'm a bit concerned that Parky is favouring blood and guts a effort a bit too highly in preference to skill and ability. We lacked to former at times last season and I'm pleased to see we've added some grit, but with only Reid and Martin that fall into the truly skillful category (and one of them is a little bit prone to head down bull at a gate type play) I worry we're going to be a bit short on technique this season.

Guess you can't really argue with the finances though, especially if Racon can bring in a fee too.
  • i thought one of the best games i've seen racon play was away at bristol city the season we went down, he was box to box and looked a very good player. that was over two years ago. ive never seen him play that well since and he's far too inconsistent. a luxury, and a wage, that we certainly dont need to have
  • We should keep Racon otherwise we'll be buying a replacement. All it takes is a suspension or injury, or in Mac case a loss of form and we'll have Stav as our only option.

Can't see this one happening imo.
  • [cite]Posted By: forzajuve_27[/cite]Racon has the best technique out of all of our players and is the only one that is really capable of producing moments of magic
    Maybe he is capable of that, but I can barely think of any he has produced in his entire time here. A few good goals when we were relegated. Don't remember any moments on magic last season from him, maybe I've forgotten some though.

As for pace up front Anyinsah will give us that option. We saw last season pace from McLeod and Dickson did nothing against teams that put men behind the ball and sat deep in their own half. When teams don't do that Wagstaff and Reid offer pace from out wide.
  • [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite] All it takes is a suspension or injury, or in Mac case a loss of form and we'll have Stav as our only option.
    Jackson? Martin?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]All it takes is a suspension or injury, or in Mac case a loss of form and we'll have Stav as our only option.[/quote]
    Jackson? Martin?[/quote]

Jackson is our 1st choice left back until Youga is back, though Fry is here for that position and I have doubts on how effective Martin could be in central midfield. Still would need someone one better than Stav there though.
  • I'd prefer to keep him, but if he goes, we should get a loaner from the prem to cover for him
  • Liked the look of Racon a few years ago and he shows it occassionally but agree that he flatters to deceive and doesn't appear 100% committed. I'd offload him if i could.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Maybe he is capable of that, but I can barely think of any he has produced in his entire time here. A few good goals when we were relegated. Don't remember any moments on magic last season from him, maybe I've forgotten some though.

As for pace up front Anyinsah will give us that option. We saw last season pace from McLeod and Dickson did nothing against teams that put men behind the ball and sat deep in their own half. When teams don't do that Wagstaff and Reid offer pace from out wide.

Momenst of magic is perhaps the wrong way to word it, but at the start of last season, when we were passing our way through teams, I think Racon played an integral part in that.

Once we switched to 4-4-2 he was being asked to play deeper to give Reid/Bailey and Sam licence to get forward. I don't think he was really allowed to show what he could do in an attacking sense very much. I know it was only a cameo against tiring legs but extra time in the swindon match showed the threat he can be given a bit more licence.

It may all be a bit academic as Parky seems to want to play with solid centre midfield and two expansive wingers but I can't help thinking we'll be losing a potential plan B by letting Racon go.
  • [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]All it takes is a suspension or injury, or in Mac case a loss of form and we'll have Stav as our only option.
    Jackson? Martin?

Jackson is our 1st choice left back until Youga is back, though Fry is here for that position and I have doubts on how effective Martin could be in central midfield. Still would need someone one better than Stav there though.

If he sat deep in central midfield then Martin probably wouldn't be that effective. But if he played as an attacking midfielder just off the front 2 then i think he'd do well.
  • Sponsored links:

• If Racon goes, he will go onto bigger and better things. Personally I think he will be a big loss, we lack a truly creative player and he could , if allowed, be that player
  • Would be brilliant to get any sort of fee and offload the wages.

Never really done it for us and I'd be glad to see him go.
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Maybe he is capable of that, but I can barely think of any he has produced in his entire time here. A few good goals when we were relegated. Don't remember any moments on magic last season from him, maybe I've forgotten some though.

Momenst of magic is perhaps the wrong way to word it, but at the start of last season, when we were passing our way through teams, I think Racon played an integral part in that.

Once we switched to 4-4-2 he was being asked to play deeper to give Reid/Bailey and Sam licence to get forward. I don't think he was really allowed to show what he could do in an attacking sense very much. I know it was only a cameo against tiring legs but extra time in the swindon match showed the threat he can be given a bit more licence.

It may all be a bit academic as Parky seems to want to play with solid centre midfield and two expansive wingers but I can't help thinking we'll be losing a potential plan B by letting Racon go.
    I do get what your saying, I just don't see how his performances justify his wages.

Do we have the players Racon could pass the ball like that with? The main ones he did it with were Shelvey, Burton and Sam, who have all gone, and Zheng the season before who has also left.

A motivated Racon with the right players around him would be useful in the Championship. He is a decent player but that's the problem for me, we can't afford that sort of money on just a decent but unreliable player. You know what you're going to get from Semedo, you don't from Racon and I don't mean that in the good way.

I just think we could probably replace what he offers. Might not get someone quite as skilful but certainly someone just as tidy with his passing. There must be a few young Prem midfielders we could get on loan that can offer a decent touch and short accurate passing. If not someone that can offer something different, Racon isn't a playmaker for me.
  • If he's on £8K per week, then him leaving pays for Benno (transfer fee plus most of two seasons' wages) in one fell swoop.

I can understand why that's an attractive option.

Would be sorry to see him go, as feels like another one with talent we just couldn't bring out for whatever reason, but needs must.
  • I'd be happy to see Fry at Left back tonight and jackson tried in midfield and then if it works keep it for the fututre
  • Racon's had ample opportunity over the last 2 years to 'step up to the plate' if you like but hasn't really managed to do it and every time you think he's going to, he goes off the boil. Don't think he can handle the physical intensity in England.
  • The season we got relegated from the chumpionship Racon had some fantastic games i can recall his name being sung extreemly loud from within the Nth Upper.

I cant help but feel things soured against him when he refused to play wide left.

Racon has undoubtable talent but the biggest problem lies in where you play him

is he a holding Midfielder No

Is he a box to box Midfielder yes i think he is can he distribute a ball Yes but not as often as he should but he gets caught in possesion to much

Will he carve a good career yes i believe he will

If a lot of championship clubs want him than that tells you he is good enough for us i think he just needs to play where he is comfortable and see what he can do then

the sad thing is that he wont be replaced
  • Racon going wouldn't be too much of a loss.
  • IMO Therry will not be missed and won't go on to do much. I'd be delighted to get him off our wage bill

He is talented but his attitude stinks, he is too slow and flatters to deceive every time I see him.

Johnnie Jackson in the middle will be more effective - his passing is streets above Therry's.

Bye Therry - thanks for your time.