Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The official "Support Parky" thread

edited September 2010 in General Charlton
For the last few weeks I have read more and more moaning and negativity and whilst it is rather irksome - I can understand some people want to see better. This weekend was a bad result but the important thing is that we didn't lose.

One thing I think we all need to consider though is where it all went pear shaped last season (and the few years before for that matter).

Last season we got off to a flyer playing nice expansive football, passing around opponents and scoring relatively freely. Then - once the weather turned for the worse and the pitches became clogged up - we lost our way a bit. Our passing game became ineffective and we got outmuscled all to often. We couldn't stand up to any real tough aerial assault and conceded a lot of soft goals.

This season we have started rather slowly, haven't gotten into our stride in terms of our passing game and have not exactly been prolific. That being said we have also been pretty tight at the back (Saturday the exception) and have ground out some good results (ie against 10 men or when just playing badly)

Last season Millwall and Norwich had very poor starts and still got promoted by using a late surge. Leeds were very lucky indeed that they had enough early points to carry them through.

Perhaps Mr Parkinson is aware that last season we lost it when the going got tough and we were seen as a soft touch (something we have been for many many years).
Perhaps Mr Parkinson has assembled a squad that is more resistant to bullying and is, in fact, something of a bully itself.
Perhaps Mr Parkinson has planned ahead and is sacrificing a flying start for a more consistent season.

Time will tell I suppose but I think we all know the best is yet to come. All I know is that it's all about getting the right balance.........

This is something I posted last week and I stand by it now.

Getting rid of Parky at this stage of the season would be absolutely pointless. Just as Pardew did at Southampton recently - Parky has constructed his own squad and 6 games is NOT enough for it to have settled down yet.
Once the players start to understand each others games better we will hopefully see better performances and more cohesion. For now we should get off their backs and support them - for the majority of the 1st half the other day we battered them so we know the talent is there.

Comments

• PARKY PARKY PARKY!!!!!!!!
  • he's still just about got my support at the moment......10 games in is my cut off point, if things are still the same then I'm afraid that's it for me.

he can only use the 'new team gelling' excuse for so long, blimey we ain't the only team with new players !!!!

the thing is I desperately want him to succeed as he's clearly a decent bloke.

a defeat tomorrow night though and I think he'll get to see some terrace unrest!
  • Swisdom

For none of the reasons you say above other than 6 games is not enough (this Season) i agree,

i do not believe he is the right man nor did i ever believe it.

I do believe that he needs to be supported right now

but the death bell is ringing once he loses the fans, which he is very close to doing and by fans i mean a big majority,

I still think right now it is a Minority that are not happy or satisied with him.

I am in the Very Unhappy with him camp as most should have worked out by now.

But it is not the fact we dont have the money to get rid that i dont want him to go just yet, to me the alternatives and consequences of getting the timing and the right person in place first far out way that issue.

I agree the talent is there.

If he fails to win Midweek i think that the pendulum of the fans will swing across to something needs to be done NOW ala norwich last year and there will be no return for him IMO

he is playing for his future game by game
  • I thought at the start of the year we'd start off slowly and improve later in the season. We're not a million miles from becoming a decent side in this league. We're tough to beat just if we could be a bit more clinical in front of goal...

Benson is on the verge of becoming the new McLeod/Varney/Gray if he doesn't score soon. Maybe we aren't playing to his strengths as Still said, but Benson is Parky's big gamble and at the moment I'm not sure it will pay off.
  • edited September 2010
    Makes no difference what anybody thinks of him...
    The man that makes all those decisions will not get rid of him, now or for the foreseeable future...
    So like him or not he's staying.
  • I can't say that I was happy when he was appointed and he hasn't convinced me either way since but this is his make or break season and he has to be given time to see if he can fashion a team on poor resources.
  • theres no way people should be talking about getting rid of parky. we're still in the top half of the table and not far off play offs with only a small part of the season gone, pardew was sacked when we wer at the bottom of the table and had little hope. if we were at the bottom of this league atm then i can see why people would be angry, but we're not. we're never going to be in the automatic slots at the end of the season with the resources that the likes of soton and huddersfield have so at best we're a playoff team... and we're two points away from it. the expectations of some fans are way too high if they're calling for his head based on where we are in the table after 8 games
  • Has my full support for the moment. I think most people quite fairly want to see improvement from game to game which we are not seeing at the moment. If we continue to get worse though as the season goes on then he will lose the fans & then there can only be one result.
  • [cite]Posted By: matt88[/cite]theres no way people should be talking about getting rid of parky. we're still in the top half of the table and not far off play offs with only a small part of the season gone, pardew was sacked when we wer at the bottom of the table and had little hope. if we were at the bottom of this league atm then i can see why people would be angry, but we're not. we're never going to be in the automatic slots at the end of the season with the resources that the likes of soton and huddersfield have so at best we're a playoff team... and we're two points away from it. the expectations of some fans are way too high if they're calling for his head based on where we are in the table after 8 games

See i disagree with this due to the fact it is based on 2 and half seasons not 8 games

i think that we all as fans look at things differently and that on issues like this no one group will ever be right or wrong.

Managers, players, officials all split fans right down the middle and for that reason you will always have 2 camps

me i am basing my thought on the chumpionship season, last season, so far the performaces this
  • Agree that the cumulative effect has taken its toll on all of us. Also agree that Parky needs more games so I'm with Ketman -

[cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Has my full support for the moment. I think most people quite fairly want to see improvement from game to game which we are not seeing at the moment. If we continue to get worse though as the season goes on then he will lose the fans & then there can only be one result.
  • Sponsored links:

• See i disagree with this due to the fact it is based on 2 and half seasons not 8 games

First half a season he was left with a talentless and ill equipped side. No blame there
    Last season he did as well as could be expected given we were potless. We missed out by the narrowest of margins
    This season is HIS squad, HIS players and therefore the responsibility is with HIM.

As previously stated Richard Murray really likes Parky and in all honesty so do I. He works hard for his team - he worked hard to assemble this squad and now he has earned a bit of patience from us.

If we fail miserably (ie flirts with relegation) then he will fall on his sword. If we miss out on the play offs he might well go too. But lets wait until 15-20 games in before we start ripping him and the team to shreds
  • I'm behind him. Think he's put together a good side which needs a bit more time to gel but the first 20 minutes from Saturday's game showed that they are certainly capable. A fit Dailly or Fortune instead of Llera would have seen us comfortably take the points in my opinion.

I'm confident that we'll make the play offs although if anything is going to stop us it will be the negativity from the stands. Whilst I respect the paying customer's right to make their feelings felt, booing with 5 minutes to go at 1-1 can only do harm as was the case on Saturday - when I first started going we used to get behind the team when they needed a goal rather than getting on their backs. If you're not happy with what's happening on the pitch then feel free to give them hell at the end but why hinder their chances while the games' still going on.

Yet to see anyone come up with a viable alternative either.
  • I can not see how Parkinson can come out blameless during that 18 game run.

That squad was not talentless it was poorly set out and poorly coached, it was being beaten by tactical as well as personel.

Last season we missed out with a far better squad than people have given credit to

In all posts i have ever said about parky bar 1 where i called him a tosser i have said I want Him to do well, I thought he had done a good job during the last set of take over talks, i think he comes a cross a nice bloke who seems to try his hardest.

However if you are not up for the job you are not up to the job.

He had enough time to stop us ending up in this division.

How many of those talentless players are playing in a higher division than we are in right now

Last season it was his team his tactics and his 2nd highest wage earners in the league.

It was his mistakes that cost us automatic promotion let alone playoffs.

This season he has spent money we couldnt afford on a player who scores goals if you play a certain way and he is not playing to his strengths,

he has dropped players or played them out of postion with no justification other than to fit his new signings into his first 11,

it has not worked out for him as those players have yet to have justified taht decision.

He failed to keep the better of the 2 keepers at the club.

I agree with you 8 games is not long enough

But Parky is as much to blame for our current predicament as Pardew if not more so
  • I personally think it's time he went before it's too late. If there's no sign of improvement this week against MK Dons or on saturday away to 3rd bottom Brentford then the arguments for keeping him on will be holding less and less weight.

Mr Largo - that is a ridiculous point. Let's keep the manager on because there's no viable alternative. I'm pretty sure you'd find a whole host of decent applicants should our managers position become available. We are a big club in this division, and bigger than a handful of championship clubs as well.
  • PP takes his abuse on the chin, he does take responsibility for defeats without getting carried away by the victories, he is a leader, he is passionate and cares about this club. He's turned defeats into draws and turned draws into wins. We've lost to worse teams under him and we'll lose to better teams too. Along with dodgy refs and appalling invidiual errors, that's just football I'm afraid.

He's brought in some decent players (Reid, Doc, Dailly, Jackson, Martin etc) and his squad is behind him.

Until more serious money can be invested in the squad he's our best hope. I'm backing Parky all the way.
  • There is an argument for kepping him based on vialble alternatives but i am not paid to know those alternatives nor am i involved in football to know who is out there.

All i know is that if managers are hungry and up for a challenge there is far worse clubs to try to get your name back out there as a good manger.

Our club has a fantastic set up and is a big club in this league i cant help but feel that there would be more than 1 or 2 real good alternatives
  • Spot on matt88... I would add, and what he's had to work with since his appointment... The facts are his "hands have been tied" for many reasons since his appointment, unlike many of his peers. Strange how so many people write up that he's got all these advantages here???
    Sadly the average football fan will not take on all the facts when giving in to their knee jerks, or they simply ignore them as they don't fit in to their chosen conclusions...

It was only a couple of home games ago they were chanting "Parky, Parky give us a wave"....
    There's no doubt for me that expectations are way too high from some fans. I see us as the Liverpool of this division. Deep down everybody knows there are better teams around them, but for many of their fans that's irrelevant, they should still be challenging for major honours... Yeah right!

PARKY, PARKY, GIVE US A WAVE...
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I personally think it's time he went before it's too late. If there's no sign of improvement this week against MK Dons or on saturday away to 3rd bottom Brentford then the arguments for keeping him on will be holding less and less weight.

Mr Largo - that is a ridiculous point. Let's keep the manager on because there's no viable alternative. I'm pretty sure you'd find a whole host of decent applicants should our managers position become available. We are a big club in this division, and bigger than a handful of championship clubs as well.

How is that a ridiculous point?! If you want to get rid of the manager then presumably you would want to replace him with someone who would do a better job? As you're so sure that we'd get a "whole host of decent applicants", perhaps you could tell me who they are and why you are so certain they'd do a better job than Parkinson?
  • [cite]Posted By: joeaddick[/cite]

It was only a couple of home games ago they were chanting "Parky, Parky give us a wave"....

couldnt have been that loud i have only missed 1 home game this season and that was saturday and i have not heard it from the north upper block m
  • Sponsored links:

• To me the financial security of this club is more important.RM has brought temporary stability to the club.Very good players have left along with several bloodsuckers and Parky
    has assembled his own players this year.During this upheavel the positive result is that we still have our Academy.What better time then to start blooding a few youngsters.Our
    impatience to get out of this league should not mask the fact that unfortunately the only way forward for our club in the forseeable future are kids ,loanees and free transfers.
    Other threads on this forum have highlited the perilous,financial plights of other clubs.For this reason I dont mind being a bit more patient as long as I can see solid foundations
    being laid again.
  • An open, honest manager, doing all he can to get a decent enough side together to challenge. We have had a fair start and we have points to build upon. We're playing at a level where a really decent run of 4-5 wins could see us heading away at the top. Patience and a reality check needed - he's OK, gets all the support I can give. TEAM Charlton!

One of our strikers needs to come into a bit of form sooner rather than later, but believe one will too.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite][quote]See i disagree with this due to the fact it is based on 2 and half seasons not 8 games[/quote]

First half a season he was left with a talentless and ill equipped side. No blame there
    Last season he did as well as could be expected given we were potless. We missed out by the narrowest of margins
    This season is HIS squad, HIS players and therefore the responsibility is with HIM.

As previously stated Richard Murray really likes Parky and in all honesty so do I. He works hard for his team - he worked hard to assemble this squad and now he has earned a bit of patience from us.

If we fail miserably (ie flirts with relegation) then he will fall on his sword. If we miss out on the play offs he might well go too. But lets wait until 15-20 games in before we start ripping him and the team to shreds[/quote]

He was given that job of keeping us in the championship and he failed. He was given the job of getting us back up again and he failed. You can make excuses about the squad he had or how close he got, but those are the facts.

He's now been given another go at getting us promoted and I suspect he'll fail again because he's not very good.

I will have no problem with munching on humble pie if he proves me wrong, in fact I will be delighted to do it because it will mean that we are out of this crappy division but I'm afraid I simply don't see any evidence of it happening, if anything, we seem to be getting worse.
  • [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I personally think it's time he went before it's too late. If there's no sign of improvement this week against MK Dons or on saturday away to 3rd bottom Brentford then the arguments for keeping him on will be holding less and less weight.

How is that a ridiculous point?! If you want to get rid of the manager then presumably you would want to replace him with someone who would do a better job? As you're so sure that we'd get a "whole host of decent applicants", perhaps you could tell me who they are and why you are so certain they'd do a better job than Parkinson?

why should chris give you alternatives he doesnt work at the club nor know who applied in the past that is still not working.

It is not for fans to back up that argument that would be opinion.

You dont know as to who or why people were not appointed over parky previously and nor do any of us.

There are people to do that within the club
  • [cite]Posted By: matt88[/cite]pardew was sacked when we wer at the bottom of the table and had little hope

pardew was sacked when we were 3rd bottom and 1 or 2 points from safety
    parky had been coach/assistant manager/flower on the wall /nice bloke around the club for over 18months
    parky then took over for the last 28 games yes twenty eight and we ended up finishing 12-13 points from safety

parky is on premiership wages(unless he took a pay cut after huddersfield came in for him !) he is the last of the big big earners ........ his time is running out

and of course every charlton fan wants him to do well
  • Happy to nail my colours to the mast.

I find any serious talk (outside of the usual suspects) of getting rid of the manager AT THIS POINT IN TIME as, quite frankly, laughable and ridiculous. Strip aside the entertainment aspect, the gaining momentum towards getting rid of the manager has stemmed off the back of a win and two draws.

However, Its clear though to everyone, even those perceived rose tinted merchants such as myself, that things have to start showing signs of improvement soon. Its only natural that with such a swathe of changes there was going to be a bedding in period, but that can't continue forever.

Some people's opinions seemed to be exaggerated by the fact the last few seasons have been so poor. I can understand why, but i don't think ultimately it will help us move on, we have to concentrate on the here and now.

And the here and now certainly tells us that we have to improve in certain aspects. Our attacking focus just isn't right, is appearing unbalanced and uncreative. This stems fully now from the players Parky has brought into the club, and a club of our stature in league one should be offering more than it currently is.

In simple terms, we just want to see a team playing on the front foot, taking the game to the opposition with a bit of bite and spark, and particularly when playing at home. We haven't really had one front foot performance in the 8 league games so far.

Players are being dipped in and out of the side, and no one is really coming in and putting their stamp on their position. Are they not being given enough time to settle, or are the players failing as individuals to step up to the plate ?

Parkinson currently has my full support, 100%. But i am seeing line-ups and tactics i don't necessarily agree with, and more importantly i'm not seeing too many instances that things are slowly coming together and we're about to go on an improved run in terms of performance and results.

I need to see those things start to show signs of coming together over the next five or six games otherwise my stance is likely to change.

I think Parky has done a 'fair' job in difficult circumstances of steadying the ship from the decline. Now is the time to show he can get a team of players to show signs of moving it forward again.

Our results have not been strikingly poor, but we as fans have to start getting more out of it than we have so far this season.
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: matt88[/cite]pardew was sacked when we wer at the bottom of the table and had little hope

pardew was sacked when we were 3rd bottom and 1 or 2 points from safety
    parky had been coach/assistant manager/flower on the wall /nice bloke around the club for over 18months
    parky then took over for the last 28 games yes twenty eight and we ended up finishing 12-13 points from safety

This is my sentiments exactly when we appointed parkinson we were a laughing stock at other clubs, Caretakerts normally get the job when the performances and points tally improved

not us we appointed him after i think it was 11 games without a win
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: joeaddick[/cite]

couldnt have been that loud i have only missed 1 home game this season and that was saturday and i have not heard it from the north upper block m

Definitely... Oldham, I think? He even waved back.
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Perhaps Mr Parkinson has planned ahead and is sacrificing a flying start for a more consistent season.

praps that is just an odd thought
  • Fair and balanced as normal AFKA

But to me he has not shown anything in 2.5 seasons that makes me feel he has not been given enough time.

However i stick to my thought that it is not the right time to just get rid i think movements should be being looked into i think alternatives need to have been sought out and if we reach 15 games and things have not improved not just points but performances.

I tell you who i reckon is pooping it more than parky right now and that has to be RM because not only has he openly backed him he will have a huge decision to get right if the parky gamble ends the way i foresee it to end