Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is Paul Benson

edited September 2010 in General Charlton
a Barry Endean for the new millennium?

Barry Endean scored plenty of goals for Watford then came to us and scored 1 in 27 or something like that and, rather like Benson, contributed little elsewhere.

Most of Charlton's plentiful supply of non-scoring strikers in the past had the redeeming feature of adding something to general play or creating for a slightly more prolific partner. For example Paul Williams publicly said how much Leaburn helped him at a time he (Leaburn) was being derided for only scoring at parks and cottages.

I'm posting this now in the hope that I get it thrown back at me when Paul breaks his duck tonight in an entertaining flowing victory over the MK Dons. NURSE! NURSE! MY TABLETS I'M DREAMING CHARLTON ARE DOING WELL AGAIN!

Comments

• This is all feeling a bit like a witch hunt.
  • Its called the pressure of being a high profile signing than can ill afford to backfire....
  • Didn't Jason Euell get off to a slow start in his first season then went on to record a decent tally ?
  • spot on AFKA!

Marcus Bent scored on his debut!
  • yep a couple of 10-12's a season after dropping back into midfield....he showed a lot of promise at the time, but it just wasnt working for him....bit unfair comparing the likes of Benson with Euell though
  • i know not a striker but luke young was pants in his first season but improved no end .....
    still that was with a different coaching set up and the current set up hasn't inspired many players of late on to better things
  • Flanagan score one goal in his first 24 games (or something similar) so yes we have to give him time but he had 5 or 6 good chances on his debut and took none of them.

If If if Waggy was on the right maybe he'd get more early balls into the box to attack. We can hope.
  • Yep...Euell looked woeful for quite a while and then scored an amazing long range late equalizer at Derby, followed by a run through and finish at Highbury. Think we paid a record fee for him so there was plenty of expectation and he became a vital player for us. PS: I think Benson will be ok.
  • Not been managed well IMO - talent is there but he should be on the bench and come on with less pressure. It's not as if he cost us millions and has to play - I mean, if I sold everything up, I could probably manage to buy him. Not that I have any intention of doing so :)
  • edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]This is all feeling a bit like a witch hunt.

yep i fear for benson with this lot i really do
  • Sponsored links:

• Benson may well come good / settle etc etc next seasn. Trouble is we are desperate and need to get out of the league now. We didn't buy him as a 'prospect' we brought him to score goals this season.
    Therefore I agree with Tel, its a shame for the lad but he was brought it with high expectations and needs to live up to them or we are all doomed.

and for those who say I am going over the top with the doomed thing, remember Murray himself has said we are set for this season but the future is in doubt if we don't get promotion this year.
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]
    yep i fear for benson with this lot i really do

Agreed, has he even started 5 games yet?
  • Benson will amount to NOTHING! mark my words!
  • A goalscorer at League Two and Conference level, who is struggling to adapt to a higher level.

Parky, the Chief Scout and the rest of the coaching staff will all have had a look at him, and assessed that he is capable of scoring goals at League One level. They must have seen something to suggest that he will, otherwise we wouldn't have spent £250k on him.

Seen all his appearances so far. A bit more movement inside the box, especially a few runs across the front of defenders into the near post area, wouldn't go amiss. He keeps drfiting towards the back post hoping the ball will find him. Natural goalscorers anticipate where the ball is going and make runs accordingly. Perhaps he needs a goal to restore his confidence and get going. Time is starting to run out though as the punters are starting to get on his back, and that will only have a negative effect.
  • [cite]Posted By: jazzyjazzyjazzy[/cite]Benson will amount to NOTHING! mark my words!

seems like a nice guy whose already amounted to more on the football pitch then you, I or 99.9% of the people on site.

Stupid thing to say. If you don't rate him fair enough but why the need for such OTT statements.
  • We needed to provide the crosses and the balls to feet early, We need to change the way we play, which as of yet we havent.

If anyone watched Benson within the mgmt structure they would have known that and i can not believe that they thought he could play any other way.

In the games that i watched him for daggers he went missing when they failed to do any of the above. When they crossed early and put teams under pressure he scored bag loads

very unfair to judge a player who has certain strengths in which he is very good at when we dont play to his strengths in games .
  • [cite]Posted By: jazzyjazzyjazzy[/cite]Benson will amount to NOTHING! mark my words!

Jesus, he may have been bought for the immediate term rather than as a long term investment but give him at least half a chance.

Keep thinking I'm on a Spurs message board the last few days, such is the impatience and lack of reason demonstrated on here at the moment.
  • edited September 2010
    The thing I don't understand, is why should we change the whole way we play football just to suit Benson?

That seems ridiculous. Surely it's better to sign a striker who doesn't require a change in tactics or playing style. I could understand if it was Messi.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jazzyjazzyjazzy[/cite]Benson will amount to NOTHING! mark my words!

seems like a nice guy whose already amounted to more on the football pitch then you, I or 99.9% of the people on site.

Stupid thing to say. If you don't rate him fair enough but why the need for such OTT statements.

Also a fairly over the top statement.
  • [cite]Posted By: Harveys Trainer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jazzyjazzyjazzy[/cite]Benson will amount to NOTHING! mark my words!

Also a fairly over the top statement.

No it's not. It was a response to a stupid OTT statement.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Screamer[/cite]The thing I don't understand, is why should we change the whole way we play football just to suit Benson?

That seems ridiculous. Surely it's better to sign a striker who doesn't require a change in tactics or playing style. I could understand if it was Messi.

you'd have to ask Parky.

Benson has a certain style of play that he can fit into, If we wanted a player that fits our style of play then it wernt Benson. But then again i dont even know what style of play we have
  • I personally would say we were a footballing side who rely's on breaks, counter attacks and people running off the last defender. We shouldn't hoof it, but our defence isn't cultured enough with Francis Doherty etc. and therefore we do. So we want to play football, but revert to hoof ball far too often, which is why were pants, as all our midfield is on the short side, and our strikers can't hold the ball up.
  • The Dagenham manager said homself that we're not playing to Bensons qualities.

He said that our wingers take far too long to get the ball in the box and by the time we do Bensons been closed down. So maybe this is something that needs to be worked on swinging the ball over early for him to get on the end of.
  • [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]The Dagenham manager said homself that we're not playing to Bensons qualities.

He said that our wingers take far too long to get the ball in the box and by the time we do Bensons been closed down. So maybe this is something that needs to be worked on swinging the ball over early for him to get on the end of.

spot on thats what i dont understand, They must have had him watched and if they did they would have been left in no doubt that Benson is dangerous if you play the slide pass early or get multiple crosses in first time.

He is a real nusiance then, he seems to find just enough space to get his head on the ball or bring it down and finish, with the slide passing he is not quick but yet again he has made enough space to get a shot off early.
  • Change the way we play to suit Benson? WHAT STYLE IS THAT THEN? We play with two wingers, yet for a season and a half had Burton up front, often as lone striker, or with Mooney who was woeful in the air. That didn’t work so we bought another short striker in Forster. Our only saving grace was the goals scored by Bailey arriving late, but you can hardly set up your side to play that way. Neither Benson nor Abbott attack the ball in the box. I’ve watched three of Parky’s sides over the last two years and have no idea what his tactics are. Can anyone enlighten me?
  • If Benson is going to be our main striker and for him to score 20+ goals a season then we had best play with 2 wingers who can get crosses in early.

For that reason I'd start with Waggy on the RIGHT and Reid on the LEFT with Lee Martin playing just behind Benson in a 442 formation - if Anyinsah is fit then play him up front and Martin as part of a 4 man midfield
  • edited September 2010
    me neither i thought after the first 6 games last year it was patient build up football well thought out and switching play from left to right.

then it turned into fast frantic chase the ball school boy football

this season so far it is slow build up 20 mins nothing comes off hoof ball for 70
  • Until we get some decent crosses into the box he will not score many goals neither will Abbott neither will anyone else for that matter.
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]If Benson is going to be our main striker and for him to score 20+ goals a season then we had best play with 2 wingers who can get crosses in early.

For that reason I'd start with Waggy on the RIGHT and Reid on the LEFT with Lee Martin playing just behind Benson in a 442 formation - if Anyinsah is fit then play him up front and Martin as part of a 4 man midfield

I agree!
  • [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]If Benson is going to be our main striker and for him to score 20+ goals a season then we had best play with 2 wingers who can get crosses in early.

I agree!

Blimey me too! Its a rare moment.