Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Please give Blood...

Comments

• Will do, mate. Next time the truck turns up in Lewisham I'll drop in.
  • I'd love to, but I'm always full of prescription drugs (and will be for the very foreseeable future)
  • please give if you can. I probably wouldn't be writing this if I hadn't had transfusions. It really is the gift of life.
  • Cheers, been meaning to do this for ages and this gave me the reminder I needed.
  • May I also urge people to donate blood? I remember vividly frantically trying to keep up with cross-matching blood for a young woman of 23 who was involved in an horrific car crash. She required 87 units of blood and endless platelet and fresh frozen plasma transfusions. Against all the odds, she not only survived, but has gone on to lead a full and totally normal life. Saving her life was entirely thanks to a very skilled surgeon and some 300 people having donated blood. I know that donating blood can become one of those 'It's too much hassle' things in our busy lives, but please try to find the time.
  • edited January 2011
    I give blood 3 times a year and have done since June 1996. 40 donations in total now. Need to ring them to arrange my 41st donation. Sorted, 11th Feb at 6.25pm in Bexleyheath.

I've also got a bone marrow donor card but not yet used.

I would urge anyone who can to give blood, for a couple of hours of your time it can go so far to help people who need it....
  • I give platelets once a month, next appointment next Thursday.

Only takes just over an hour, they are in real need for these. Ask them to test you to see if you can donate.
  • My well do that Appy although they've never said anything to me before. I'd gladly donate if they're in need of platelets.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's worth going for the tea crisps and biscuits. Don't be offended when the nurse says "just a small prick". Did my 50th donation last month.
  • JTJT
    edited January 2011
    Thanks to people that give blood / platelets I am still alive.
  • Not permitted to be a donor but like JT, thanks to all that do.
  • What's a platelet - a small plate?
  • Sounds like it could be........................ however more details here.

Give if you can.

Platelets
  • Good thread. Will look into it when I get back to the uk, see if my dirty blood is worth anything to anyone!
  • Part of the blood that helps with repairing cuts and prevention of bleeding / Haemorrhage. Normally have 200-400 million per millilitre of blood, I remember having zero.
  • [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Part of the blood that helps with repairing cuts and prevention of bleeding / Haemorrhage. Normally have 200-400 million per millilitre of blood, I remember having zero.

Wow. That's haemaphaellia (sp) isn't it? I remember a lad at school having it. He died after being stabbed at QPR by a Fulham fan.
  • Several things can cause low platelets.

I remember getting a pint of blood once and getting an allergic reaction because the bloke that donated it had recently had Fish.

Bloody fish.
  • Tried to give blood 30 or more years ago now but was told they didn't want it because I suffer with hayfever.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Tried to give blood 30 or more years ago now but was told they didn't want it because I suffer with hayfever.

Think they'll accept it now...
    medical research and all that.

Never used to take it off people over 70 (sorry Oggy,(Sir) Henry & Alex Wright) but my Dad restarted at 75 3 years ago.
  • I give blood, although haven't for a year i need to start giving again
  • i used to give regularly but like f blocker i'm full of prescription drugs and threfore can't. %-{
  • I'm on Anti-Depressants, Cholestrol, Diabetis & sleeping pills: I'm not meant to drink alchol or smoke.
    I give blood every 4 months and have donated 54 pints over the years.

Nowadays the blood is "cleansed" and its also a free HealthCheck.
  • Does this mean they accept blood from people who travel alot? I used to give regularly (wouldn't be here if it weren't for donors, born premature with jaundice) but once I started going to India etc they wouldn't take it.

Always thought it daft as they must check the blood before they use it, don't they????
  • Gave my 54th Pint earlier......
    Still need alot more Donars tho'.

• GiveBloodNHS@GiveBloodNHSGiveBloodNHS
    Our new discussion is up about World #Blood Donor Dayon.fb.me/m9Vy4l