Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Clarkson - Love him or Loathe him.......

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    And finally, in todays news:

I was shocked today, as a shock journalist posted shocking words in his shock column, causing people to be shocked. 

This shocking event shocked everyone apart from the writer who got the exact reaction as intended 
    I imagine there's good money in it, but who would do a job that leads to your daughter issuing an apology for your actions? We live in strange times.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Dave2l said:
    Not sure what would be funnier 

Clarkson or M&H buying Charlton. 

Imagine Clarkson goes on talking pints with nigel farage while wearing a viglen away kit Charlton shirt!

Stranger things have happened 

Harry and meg would use the Charlton brand to moan more on another documentary 
    I don't think Harry is ever likely to be a Charlton fan... 

He's a villa fan but it is good to know he does have a warmth for the club and understands our positive background!

The future king of England....do us a favour and get the valley back and get the club back!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Love the term 'cancel culture' when it's never been easier to shout abuse at/towards someone without any repercussions.

People might see this as Clarkson being Clarkson and of course it fits his image as someone who winds people up and refuses to apologise. Problem is there are some people reading The Sun who aren't so bright or having mental health issues that might think it's a call to arms.

Ain't that basically what the Markle's have been doing though? Saying what they want because they know all about the Royals having to follow "protocol"

Not defending Clarkson btw
    Or just giving their side of the story. It's not like the British press is giving them much of an opportunity to defend themselves.

I have the same conclusion I had before I watched the Netflix series. I don't know them and I don't know any other Royal (pretty sure that Andrew fella is a bit dodgy though) so I don't know what they are really like as people. I'm not going to draw my conclusions from the Mail or The Sun. 

The hate is way overboard, it's depressing and frightening. 

Completely irrelevant whether the British press are giving them an opportunity imo. Although, we don't actually know that is the case, as it seems they’ve just chosen to go to the highest bidder to get maximum exposure, and that happens to be in the State side. Just looking at the trailers for the interviews, you can see how stage managed it all is. Reckon it was completely contrived from the start on her part.

Echo your point regarding the hate though. The British Royals have suffered it for years, and she's basically adding to it while going unchallenged for the moment.
    Eh? I spent years filming Royal tours round the globe. Not sure I’ve seen much hate in that time, if any, certainly not from the media or press. You only get hate if you step out of line, like Princess Margaret, Diana or Harry. 
    And yes, going to Netflix was done for maximum exposure. Do you think they should have gone to a tiny company to reduce exposure? They’re trying to counter all the vitriol from the tabloids, so of course they’re going to want maximum exposure. 
    The tabs love all this hate stuff, it sells papers, and we fall for it time and time again. 

I obviously don't mean on state occasions.

Generally over the years, pretty sure the Royals have suffered plenty of hate. 

Still trying to think though, what part of the UK media has not given the Markles the opportunity? She was poured over leading up to their wedding and anything that has gone on since, has been from her. Pretty certain all of the UK's main TV stations and / or Press outlets would've loved to have had at least one of their "expose" interviews, and they wouldn't have been afforded exactly the same opportunity to give their side, as they have been by Opera etc.

As I said before, serving Royals don't ever get that opportunity, even to defend themselves. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Valley11 said:
    A shitty thing to write but my god, the outrage. 

It says everything about where we’re at.

If only we held the energy companies fleecing us to account like this, or kicked off as much about the way the NHS is being run into the ground and nurses paid peanuts.

The stuff that matters and could cripple our lives we suck up and carry on. 

A mega rich journalist versus a mega rich ex royal. Honestly, who cares. 

Sums it up for me. An obnoxious bloke writing about an obnoxious pair who did the same.

• Options
    Who gets more outraged though? The "Snowflakes" who are outraged by Clarkson and his ilk, or the "Snowflakes" who get outraged by the "Snowflakes" who get outraged by Clarkson and his ilk? Some of the "Snowflakes" who get outraged by the "Snowflakes" who get outraged by Clarkson and his ilk, get outraged before the "Snowflakes" who are outraged by Clarkson and his ilk actually get outraged.  

There should be an outrage-ometer of some kind. The public needs to know. 

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    Chizz said:
    Dave2l said:
    Not sure what would be funnier 

Clarkson or M&H buying Charlton. 

Imagine Clarkson goes on talking pints with nigel farage while wearing a viglen away kit Charlton shirt!

Stranger things have happened 

Harry and meg would use the Charlton brand to moan more on another documentary 
    I don't think Harry is ever likely to be a Charlton fan... 

He's a villa fan but it is good to know he does have a warmth for the club and understands our positive background!

The future king of England....do us a favour and get the valley back and get the club back!
    William too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not defending Prince Nonce at all, it's another story I have little knowledge of, so I looked it up. It appears the girl he shagged was 17, or am I missing something? 
  • Options
    I’m no ardent royalist - but then again I’m not keen to move to a republic either. 

Can’t say Meghan and Harry have covered themselves in any glory but it’s clear the tabloids can only see the money from shock journalism with no thought to what’s actually being said. 

Clarkson has provided another example of what’s allowed to be printed as “fair game” when it patently isn’t.  Articulating that level of hatred for another human and suggesting a naked parade for shit-throwing is appalling. I’d imagine the editors encouraged Clarkson to up the ante and say something really unpleasant about Meghan to rile those who feel she’s had a hard time and he happily obliged. 

The papers don’t need to be so unkind and Clarkson doesn’t need to be as much of a c**t as that either.
  • Options
    Piers Morgan and Jeremy Clarkson

The Uks old arch enemies now have something in common

Imagine Clarkson, Harry, meg, Morgan, william, Kate all locked in the same room together of forced close proximity and can't escape for 6 hours.

A weird psychological thriller
  • Options
    I have never seen Game of Thrones, but still pictures show Dragons and mystic sort of stuff.
    The dreaming up of magical creatures and the like seems to be the stuff of writers who have run out of plausible ideas, so they invent any old crap as a plot get out device.
    So Clarkson justifies his Rose West piece by alluding to some crap TV show that not many of us have watched, in my case because it looks like vapid crap and because Michael Gove praised it.

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I have never seen Game of Thrones, but still pictures show Dragons and mystic sort of stuff.
    The dreaming up of magical creatures and the like seems to be the stuff of writers who have run out of plausible ideas, so they invent any old crap as a plot get out device.
    So Clarkson justifies his Rose West piece by alluding to some crap TV show that not many of us have watched, in my case because it looks like vapid crap and because Michael Gove praised it.

We avoided GoT until about a year ago thinking it was just ‘Dragons and mystic sort of stuff’. 
    It’s actually extremely watchable. 
    I believe it’s one of the most successful shows in TV history. Give it a go Seth. You might be surprised, as we were. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    seth plum said:

We avoided GoT until about a year ago thinking it was just ‘Dragons and mystic sort of stuff’. 
    It’s actually extremely watchable and features lots of bare breasts. 
    I believe it’s one of the most successful shows in TV history. Give it a go Seth. You might be surprised, as we were. 

• Options
    edited December 2022
    seth plum said:

'Vapid crap' and in a post like that. Brilliant.

GoT isnt just 'Dragons and mystic stuff', its also about love, despair, heroism, family, allegiance, rivalry and hope. But you'd know that if you'd actually watched it. Its why its the most successful tv series of all time.

It just makes you sound as dismissive and miserable as an old tit like Clarkson.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Piers Morgan and Jeremy Clarkson

The Uks old arch enemies now have something in common

Imagine Clarkson, Harry, meg, Morgan, william, Kate all locked in the same room together of forced close proximity and can't escape for 6 hours.

A weird psychological thriller
    They’re both middle aged, slightly posh men who would love to be much posher than they actually are. They’re both in thrall to celebrity and royalty, and are desperate to get some of that action. Meghan broke Morgan’s heart, and I suspect he’ll never get over being ghosted. 
    Clarkson’s just and old school bully (albeit a very amusing one) who’s lived a charmed life. 
  • Options
    I've never seen something and declare its crap. Especially as someone I've never met likes it.
    That's my contribution.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Circulation of The Sun: 1.3m 
    Viewing figures of Game of Thrones, Season 8: 46m 

Game of Thrones is the most-watched TV series in the world, ever.  Worldwide, it currently ranks fourth in the most watched shows this year, higher than Disney's latest Star Wars offering, despite no episodes having been produced since 2019.  

You may not like it.  You may not have seen it.  (Although these two Venn diagrams shouldn't intersect).  But you can't argue that not many people have seen it.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    seth plum said:

Game of Thrones is the most-watched TV series in the world, ever.  Worldwide, it currently ranks fourth in the most watched shows this year, higher than Disney's latest Star Wars offering, despite no episodes having been produced since 2019.  

You may not like it.  You may not have seen it.  (Although these two Venn diagrams shouldn't intersect).  But you can't argue that not many people have seen it.  
    46 million have watched it in the UK?
  • Options
    He's said far worse before and will probably say far worse in the future, but the times are changing and what was allowed and deemed funny even 15-20 years ago is deemed too offensive now
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    sam3110 said:
    He's said far worse before and will probably say far worse in the future, but the times are changing and what was allowed and deemed funny even 15-20 years ago is deemed too offensive now
    Clarkson? Its his job but it all gets vetted before going to print.
    They know exactly what they're doing
  • Options
    OK, it looks like most people have seen Game of Thrones and it justifies Clarkson referencing it and for most people to get the connection straight away.
    I have said what my very at a distance impression of it is, and it doesn’t appeal to me.
    Mind you, MacDonalds, the most successful fast food business in history doesn’t appeal very much either.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Chizz said:
    seth plum said:

46 million have watched it in the UK?
    No
  • Options
    Can’t stand Clarkson, was a knob to write that article but it did make me chuckle, bollocks to Meghan & that submissive twat Harry.
  • Options
    I made a complete prat of myself a few years back at my then girlfriends family dinner party (nothing nasty by what I said but it shows how oblivious I was to the whole thing) when the original story of her believing she was being racially attacked I for the life of me couldn't understand why. I just thought she was tanned, you know what these Hollywood lot are like, never knew anything of her ethnicity. Cue the girl I was dating at the time and her family being aghast that I had no clue. I tried to explain myself but her family never really trusted me from then on. 

I know this has nothing to do with it but whenever she comes up in the news it always makes me think of this. Oh well. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
  • Options
    Lectured by Millwall fans on what’s racist and what isn’t. Couldn’t make it up. 
    That’s the sort of comment Jeremy Clarkson would make. I know plenty of Millwall fans, all pleasant family types and none of them racists 
    you forgot to say "but..." at the end.

Sorry.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    seth plum said:

Not sure how that's measured, but I'm sceptical. Are we really saying more people have watched an episode of that than have watched Coronation Street? OK, maybe they have world wide, but not in the UK, no way. What about Dallas, Neighbours, Peyton Place, Sgt Bilko, I Love Lucy, Only Fools and Horses, The Morecambe and Wise Christmas Specials, Jeux Sans Frontiers, Top Gear, Pets Win Prizes...? Are we really saying that GOT is more watched than any of those have been. I'd like to know the methodology behind your claim. But even if we are saying it's the most watched, that doesn't necessarily vouch for its quality and probably says more about the global reach of modern media corps (Netflix?) than anything about the nature of the programme itself (and lets be honest, a lot of those progs I just listed were crap themselves).