Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• Hal1x said:
    Hal1x said:
    I used to hate it, when appraising someone who had worked with the company many years, was happy and effective in their role, and didn't want to change that we had to put at least three aims, ambitions or development goals. It was sometimes a struggle for both of us to think of something, and at the end of the day you were just happy to have someone who was content and capable in their work.
    One of my old managers answered that question with, "I'm retiring in a few months". Which I think showed appraisals for what they are to most people, a complete waste of time. Everybody including the guy doing the appraisal knew this, he was just in auto-pilot mode.
    My manager where I work now has an excellent method when it comes to the annual form filling. He tells me he's done it.
    Tick box exercise mostly, unless properly used to help people develop or more seriously and wrongly as a disciplinary process to "manage someone out". 

I recall an area meeting where we discussed forthcoming performance reviews. The area (20 branches) had to have results that fitted within a prescribed spread of scores. ie 5% outstanding, 10% underperforming, 35% good etc. Each branch had to put up their range of results, justify them, and if it didnt fit the pattern we had to alter the scores to fit (before the actual appraisal took place). I had to change my staffs scores so that some were now underperforming and subject to "review management", and just as bad give some an outstanding score when not merited. All done by senior management,  and peers, who had no idea about any of the staff they were judging. 
    That will be the "bell curve", which should flex according to overall company performance. For the sceptics out there, the appraisal process, when used in the right way in businesses that have a "high performance culture", and where the aspiration of a high percentage of people is to progress, is important and useful. An investment bank, or Coca-Cola for example. 

I can see it being frustrating in companies with more established teams and / or where the role is functional rather than developmental. 
    Amazing how the bell curve need not apply to senior managers and executives though!
  • Seeing a Mickey Flanagan meme every time someone looses a game of football. 
  • Hal1x said:
    Hal1x said:
    I used to hate it, when appraising someone who had worked with the company many years, was happy and effective in their role, and didn't want to change that we had to put at least three aims, ambitions or development goals. It was sometimes a struggle for both of us to think of something, and at the end of the day you were just happy to have someone who was content and capable in their work.
    One of my old managers answered that question with, "I'm retiring in a few months". Which I think showed appraisals for what they are to most people, a complete waste of time. Everybody including the guy doing the appraisal knew this, he was just in auto-pilot mode.
    My manager where I work now has an excellent method when it comes to the annual form filling. He tells me he's done it.
    Tick box exercise mostly, unless properly used to help people develop or more seriously and wrongly as a disciplinary process to "manage someone out". 

I recall an area meeting where we discussed forthcoming performance reviews. The area (20 branches) had to have results that fitted within a prescribed spread of scores. ie 5% outstanding, 10% underperforming, 35% good etc. Each branch had to put up their range of results, justify them, and if it didnt fit the pattern we had to alter the scores to fit (before the actual appraisal took place). I had to change my staffs scores so that some were now underperforming and subject to "review management", and just as bad give some an outstanding score when not merited. All done by senior management,  and peers, who had no idea about any of the staff they were judging. 
    That will be the "bell curve", which should flex according to overall company performance. For the sceptics out there, the appraisal process, when used in the right way in businesses that have a "high performance culture", and where the aspiration of a high percentage of people is to progress, is important and useful. An investment bank, or Coca-Cola for example. 

I can see it being frustrating in companies with more established teams and / or where the role is functional rather than developmental. 
    Amazing how the bell curve need not applythe  to senior managers and executives though!
    Now we get 360 degree feedback... Partners in my firm get to anonymously slag each other off, which is entertaining 
  • iaitch said:
    Tennis doubles, is it in the rules that they have to touch hands between every point?
    See also beach volleyball. They do it even when they smash the ball 2 metres out of the court. 
  • W⚓️'s coming out to the countryside on their motorbikes and sports cars, revving and backfiring just as they go past our front door at 6am on a Sunday morning.

Our gaff is just after a sharp corner, on a stretch of road going out of town. It's meant to be 20mph, and you can see why, but a lot of the bikes and big sports cars open em right up to easily 60 and over ✊️🫧
  • Put some reviews on Tripadvisor from our recent holiday in Portugal. It's now blitzing me with emails to book the same places. 
  • Sponsored links:

• YGribbo said:
    W⚓️'s coming out to the countryside on their motorbikes and sports cars, revving and backfiring just as they go past our front door at 6am on a Sunday morning.

Our gaff is just after a sharp corner, on a stretch of road going out of town. It's meant to be 20mph, and you can see why, but a lot of the bikes and big sports cars open em right up to easily 60 and over ✊️🫧
    So this is why you’ve got a shotgun license 
  • Parents!! - Especially when they get older

We're having a BBQ as both my Mum and my Mother-In-Law have their Birthdays around now.

My parents offer to pick my Mother-In-Law up on the way down, as the latter finished work @ 2pm, and its on their way... Changed that as my Brother-In-Law was picking her up, so they could come straight down and not bother stopping.

My parents still aren't here - Just gave them a call to find out where they were, just left home was the response!!

They didnt feel the need to leave as early, as they didnt need to stop off for my Mother-In-Law

WHY... Why bloody well told you to come down just after 2pm regardless

We're having a BBQ as both my Mum and my Mother-In-Law have their Birthdays around now.

My parents offer to pick my Mother-In-Law up on the way down, as the latter finished work @ 2pm, and its on their way... Changed that as my Brother-In-Law was picking her up, so they could come straight down and not bother stopping.

My parents still aren't here - Just gave them a call to find out where they were, just left home was the response!!

They didnt feel the need to leave as early, as they didnt need to stop off for my Mother-In-Law

Tell them there’s only veggie sausages left when they turn up.

Tell them there’s only veggie sausages left when they turn up.
    Personally I think they should lose a finger for every 15 mins that they were late. 

I'd advise firstly,  bin the barbecue.
    I remember a few years back doing the garden up and looking forward to doing a barbecue.
    3pm onwards after 3 hrs on a boiling hot day cooking a couple arrived asking any food going.
    That was my 1st and last barbecue.
    You then have the Sunday roast dinners , where you tell people dinners 3pm.
    Me mum and dad have arrived a couple of times at 3pm just as I'm dishing up.
    I've now decided in future I'll dish up and if they've not arrive the dinner can go cold on the table.
    Or another family member half an hour after eating dinner they're going home to watch the football that's on in half an hour.
    I've got sky tv, how about watching it here.
    You can laugh sometimes but it can be hard work.
    My cousin last Christmas done the dinner for 15 people and wanted everyone there for 2.30pm.
    I was somewhere else that day but me mum and dad were going.
    I was in the pub with other family members and me cousins mum and dad came in the pub just before 2pm.
    They arrived at dinner at 3pm.
  • clb74 said:
    Parents!! - Especially when they get older

I'd advise firstly,  bin the barbecue.
    I remember a few years back doing the garden up and looking forward to doing a barbecue.
    3pm onwards after 3 hrs on a boiling hot day cooking a couple arrived asking any food going.
    That was my 1st and last barbecue.
    You then have the Sunday roast dinners , where you tell people dinners 3pm.
    Me mum and dad have arrived a couple of times at 3pm just as I'm dishing up.
    I've now decided in future I'll dish up and if they've not arrive the dinner can go cold on the table.
    Or another family member half an hour after eating dinner they're going home to watch the football that's on in half an hour.
    I've got sky tv, how about watching it here.
    You can laugh sometimes but it can be hard work.
    My cousin last Christmas done the dinner for 15 people and wanted everyone there for 2.30pm.
    I was somewhere else that day but me mum and dad were going.
    I was in the pub with other family members and me cousins mum and dad came in the pub just before 2pm.
    They arrived at dinner at 3pm.
    Maybe its you ;)
  • Building on Green Belt land.
  • Having a very optimistic look at a couple of car dealers sites. My Facebook feed is now innundated with car ads, not unexpected, it's what happens now. But... every one of them is only showing the cost of monthly finance price on the initial ad, not one shows you the actual price of the car. It gives the impression that the whole world (well - Portugal anyway) is driving a motor they can't really afford on the never never...     
  • Sponsored links:

• That Greggs can sell countless flavors of donut and cupcakes but no bread pudding. 

Only place that seems to do it these days is E Pellici and as much as a like it Bethnal Green is too far. 
  • buckshee said:
    That Greggs can sell countless flavors of donut and cupcakes but no bread pudding. 

Only place that seems to do it these days is E Pellici and as much as a like it Bethnal Green is too far. 
    Doesn't the tea hut on Blackheath still do bread pudding? 
  • Flying ants. We’re trying to have dinner in the garden and there’s hundreds of the little bastards about 
  • buckshee said:
    That Greggs can sell countless flavors of donut and cupcakes but no bread pudding. 

When did they stop selling it? 
    Always used to 
  • buckshee said:

Don't know where you are but Coughlans in Beckenham High Street do bread pudding, good sized slab for £1.55.
  • Getting a £100 fine for littering when I pulled my phone out of my pocket and a tiny piece of paper drops to the floor without me realising. 
  • Meanwhile you see plenty of fly tipped stuff that doesn't seem to get noticed by these 'inspectors'. 
  • Getting a £100 fine for littering when I pulled my phone out of my pocket and a tiny piece of paper drops to the floor without me realising. 

Do you have a right of appeal?
  • Macronate said:
    Getting a £100 fine for littering when I pulled my phone out of my pocket and a tiny piece of paper drops to the floor without me realising. 

Do you have a right of appeal?
    I guess so. I didn't move away from the litter. They jumped on me before I knew it. When I looked down I realised that the paper was in fact mine so I picked it up but they said it's too late now. 

• I wouldn't have that if you can be bothered to fight it.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!