Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thoughts Following Forest Result

SE7SE7
edited September 2008 in General Charlton
At least our win lose run has stopped, defence seemed good and if it wasn't for some dubious decisions we might have had a result

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Basey as a holding midfielder - cheque please for me Pards :-)

Though Cranie and Fortune injured concerns me needed a another FIT centre back in the last window.
  • Options
    Pleased with a draw, not many teams will take points there...
  • Options
    there were some who didn't appreciate an away 4-5-1 nil-nil in the prem,so i would doubt they would welcome at a much lower level.
  • Options
    Happy with a point today. Results breed confidence and confidence breeds more flowing football, so lets get some results even if it isn't too pretty. If we're still playing like this in April then I'll be disappointed after a mixed bag start I have no problem with a bit of back to basics at this stage. Hopefully we'll be able to bit a more expansive and relaxed come the next home game.
  • Options
    4 points from 2 away games is a return i would certainly of been happy with following the home defeat.

Will be interesting to hear from those at the game how we played.
  • Options
    I thought we could have, perhaps should have taken the three points but I'm happy with a draw. Credit to Forest, they were determined and came very close to scoring on many occasions. But they looked vulnerable trhough most of the second half and I don't think we used our possession well enough.

I wonder how serious Fortunes injury is and whether we'll see Moutuakil back in the squad for the Wednesday game.

At the end of the day a point away from home is never bad.
  • Options
    I am glad I went - one of the more eventful 0-0 draws I have witnessed.

I would have taken 4 points v Donny and Forest for sure.

What concerns me is that our shortcomings wil get exposed against better teams than the two we played.
    We won't get promoted that is for certain. Sam was not with it for most of the game.

First half Forest had several chances - inept finishing cost them. Hmm rewind to Donny.

Ref very inconsistent - their player handballed in the area - nothing given.

Yet one of ours handballed in their area free kick. ALso 2 forest players went for the ball , clash of heads......... ref stopped play. WHY?! ONce their player got sent off we looked better!!!! Could have nicked it in the end if it wasnt for a great save by the keeper.

Id say about 600 went to the game.

Some sang pro Curbishley songs.

Jokers.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Just got back. Draw was probably a fair result. They could have scored in the first half and we had some chances in the second, particularly the Gray header which was brilliantly saved.

Pards started with 4-5-1 (which he didn't do against Donny despite saying he did) with Basey playing in front of the back four and Holland playing the most advanced midfield role. It seemed odd to me and I felt the players just weren't used to it.

We were on the ropes for quite a spell in the first half and Weaver made one great save and a couple of decent ones. There was also some great challenges and blocks, including one great one by Basey. We came more into the game later in the half and had one kicked off the line from Sam, I think. Our wingers though were unable to get forward enough and seemed to spend much of the first half helping out the defence which didn't panic despite the pressure. A Forest player was booked for pulling back Varney when through. Should probably have been a straight red.

The second half was a different story which saw us attacking much more. We just seemed to lack the killer pass, and Bouazza in particular seems to have morphed into Jerome Thomas with a little better defensive work..:o)

Pards changed things around when Fortune was injured and brought on Ambrose with Youga going to CB and Basey reverting to LB. His final roll of the dice was to bring on Gray for Sam. When their player was sent off we really went for it and a Gray header from Varney's cross was on target but somehow their keeper saved it. Ambrose shot on target but with no great power and then with Semedo replacing Cranie, the game went into 5 minutes of injury time. We kept pressing but couldn't find a quality cross (something that happened throughout the game). Forest broke and Bailey put in what from the other end of the pitch looked like a fair challenge but it was penalised. Fortunately the free kick wasn't accurate and the game finished.

As for the players

Weaver - 8 - Another excellent performance with some excellent saves in the first half and safe handling througout. Needs to work on his kicks though.

Cranie - 7- Solid enough. Not sure why he was replaced

Hudson - 8 - Excelllent again

Fortune - 8 - Equally excellent - hope his injury isn't too serious

Youga - 7 - Good performance - occasionally erratic but generally fine. looked OK at CB

Bailey - 7 - Another hardworking a skillful performance. I'd like him to have had a shot or two.

Sam - 6 - OK, worked hard but didn't get forward enough/get behind them to really trouble them apart from his one shot that was cleared off the line

Bouazza - 6 - Worked hard but threatened very little. All he needs are some muscle supporting shorts and a pair of gloves and he'll totally resemble you know who.

Holland -8 - Typical hardworking performance. Played higher up the pitch than he noramlly does

Basey - 7 - Put in a good shift, occasionally got forward but didn't seem to play any killer balls. Neat and tidy generally

Varney - 7 - Can't fault his effort or his commitment to the team, just his ability to actually carve chances out. Not sure that playing the Lone Ranger suited him

Subs: Gray - 6 - had one decent chance which would have beaten alot of keepers. Ambrose - 6- looked lively when he came on. Semedo wasn't on for long enough.

I'd have taken a point before the start yet we created the last and arguably the best chance of the game and could have taken all three. This is a hardworking team. There's none of the turn up and can't be arsed brigade of last season. With confidence we will play better and each time we avoid defeat away, the confidence will grow. The pairing of Hudson and Fortune looks strong and brave to me and that bodes well for the season.
  • Options
    Good summary bing as always.
  • Options
    Hmm all sounds reasonably promising to me - certainly would have taken the 4 points.

As for the Curbishley chants, I despair at our support sometimes...

Well done to everyone else that travelled!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought they were there for the taking. Should have won and would have if it wasn't for a world class save to stop Gray scoring.

Ambrose should take the place of Sam. Youga is a calamity waiting to happen. And Semedo looked better in the 5/10 minutes he had than Cranie did, as he got forward.

Very pleased with 4 points from two away games.
  • Options
    Personally 4 points from 6 in 5 days, happy enough with that
  • Options
    good to hear from those that went,i've stayed away from result and commentary and here all day,had a great day watching the golf,that's how far my expectations have fallen,come on Europe.But 4 points from a possible 6 aint bad and another clean sheet reasons to be cheerful.
  • Options
    well pleased with four from six.... there is a chance that zz could really push us forward witha good scoring record from midfield... overall I am not too hopeful of any real development for us this year but you just never know.....
  • Options
    let's face it we aint got much chance of promotion and sod all chance of staying there unless someone comes in and puts massive amounts into the club so the double over palace and maybe a trip to wembley in the play offs is what we can hope for along with some good away days along the way.

Expectations have risen massively in the last few years which is fair enough but the premier has changed so much even since we were relegated , you now have to have billionaire owners just to stay in the division so I think the days of us being among the hopefuls are sadly gone.

The only way this can ever change is to bring in a two tier prem but then even that will leave those in league one complaining.

Mind you with the credit crunch hitting maybe that will also change things , I noticed a lot of empty seats in both ends at the bolton V arse game and despite this being on tv you would expect arsenal to sell out their end at least.
  • Options
    Forest had a very big and mobile back four which was the platform for most of the positive stuff they did....(building most of their attacks from the back)....Varney worked his socks off but I would like to have seen Gray on with him from the start as I fancy we might have nicked it....as it is we almost did when he came on as sub for the largely ineffective Lloyd Sam...I was already out of my seat when their keeper stuck out a right hand and somehow pulled off the save of the match.
    I was actually in The Brian Clough Stand and had a different view of the penalty shout than the rest of you guys.
    I've seen them given but I can't honestly say it was a 'stone wall' shout....another day another place and maybe we'd have got the verdict our way.
    Good hard working draw but we still need that 'special' player somewhere on the park who can make things happen, maybe Bailey is heading that way.....I'd like to think so anyway.Of course that's easier said than done.
  • Options
    Yet one of ours handballed in their area free kick. ALso 2 forest players went for the ball , clash of heads......... ref stopped play

I didn't see this incident, but I think it's mandatory that a referee must automatically stop play for head injuries. If there's a referee about maybe they could confirm this?
  • Options
    The Stand up for the Curbishley chant was in reply to Forrest's stand up for the Brian Clough chant. Bit worrying that they couldn't tell the difference between the two chants!

I think the kids were the only lot who were trying to get a chant going, just a shame they sang at 100mph and only sang each song once. The shit part of Leicester chant was also a bit embarressing!

We need to play Mull Of Kintyre at The Valley.
  • Options
    4 points in two away games no goals conceded i am happy with

NSS seeing the positives priceless should be framed on here and put on a sticky for the remainder of the season :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Yet one of ours handballed in their area free kick. ALso 2 forest players went for the ball , clash of heads......... ref stopped play

I didn't see this incident, but I think it's mandatory that a referee must automatically stop play for head injuries. If there's a referee about maybe they could confirm this?

Spot on, BFR.

Referees are instructed to stop the game for head injuries.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2008
    It was irritating but not unreasonable.
  • Options
    I think its becoming clearerer every game that Pardew is not the man to take us out of this league, still I guess we should be grateful for what we have, it just grates at me a little that he's earning an absolute mint when we could be giving someone like Kins or Robbo a go (fo rmuch less no doubt) at the helm and be no worse off.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I think its becoming clearerer every game that Pardew is not the man to take us out of this league, still I guess we should be grateful for what we have, it just grates at me a little that he's earning an absolute mint when we could be giving someone like Kins or Robbo a go (fo rmuch less no doubt) at the helm and be no worse off.

Why is it becoming clearer?
  • Options
    I think we should make Bing our away correspondent. The round ups from both Doncaster and Forest have been spot on. Besides individual opinions on different players I have agreed with everything he has said.
  • Options
    Wasn't at the game but was surprised to see that it was Varney who played up front in a 4-5-1.

Wouldn't have thought he was suited to that?

Surely Gray is better suited to that role?
  • Options
    Like NSS, I was watching the golf, so just reading about the match for the first time this morning. Sounds like we could have edged it, but probably a fair result overall. Four points from two aways against newly promoted teams is a good return, and positive to read about the players all being up for it.

Are we on a record for average number of red cards and penalties per match yet?

Injuries at the back could be a concern - we always knew that going into the season reliant on one centre half pairing was riding our luck. Cranie still sounds dodgy (and may now also be injured), Primus gamble hasn't come off. Aswad Thomas, anyone??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Like NSS, I was watching the golf, so just reading about the match for the first time this morning. Sounds like we could have edged it, but probably a fair result overall. Four points from two aways against newly promoted teams is a good return, and positive to read about the players all being up for it.

Are we on a record for average number of red cards and penalties per match yet?

Injuries at the back could be a concern - we always knew that going into the season reliant on one centre half pairing was riding our luck. Cranie still sounds dodgy (and may now also be injured), Primus gamble hasn't come off. Aswad Thomas, anyone??

right about the Primus gamble. At least Cranie can play CH and Moo2 or Semedo at RB. As for Aswad Thomas, I'd play Holland at CH ahead of him, he really isn't very good.
  • Options
    That's not what I was hoping to hear, Large!

Anyone heard any news about Fortune and Cranie's injuries?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Yet one of ours handballed in their area free kick. ALso 2 forest players went for the ball , clash of heads......... ref stopped play

Spot on, BFR.

Referees are instructed to stop the game for head injuries.

yeah, it was frustrating when it was stopped as we were putting them under pressure and were building up attack. what annoys me most, is the way they re-start play by kicking it out for a throw in on the half way line - which is fine (they could have gone back to the keeper) but then the 2 injured players run on as soon as the ball is out - they should at least stay off until we've used the advantage no?

later on in the game, varney went down clutching his ankle, we got a free kick and the physio was going to come on, but common sense prevailed and he got up and ran it off as there is no point having an attack with your only striker at the side of the pitch!

had a good day, did go to hooters too. lovely day for it. the 2nd half was most enjoyable.
  • Options
    CommentAuthorBrunello CommentTime1 hour ago quote# 24
    [quote][cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I think its becoming clearerer every game that Pardew is not the man to take us out of this league, still I guess we should be grateful for what we have, it just grates at me a little that he's earning an absolute mint when we could be giving someone like Kins or Robbo a go (fo rmuch less no doubt) at the helm and be no worse off.[/quote]

Why is it becoming clearer?

Ha ha well perhaps its been clear for sometime. I'm basically saying the guy is nothing special, give me a reason to think otherwise..

Failed to keep us up
    Failed to get us promoted despite squandering a large amount of dosh
    Believes his own hot air - talks us up in games where we are totally outplayed but nick a goal, etc
    No tactical nous
    Poor selections
    Poor tactics
    Questionable transfer record
    After 2 and bit years we have a squad still low on confidence, although on paper they should be banging them in.

Question is what does he really bring us?? In my view very little