Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thoughts Following Forest Result

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2008
    I tend to disagree. I think with the upheaval in terms of players and club we have seen over the last 12 months he has done very well. And what makes you say we have a squad low on confidence? I assume you were at Doncaster and Forest to make such a bold satement that things are clearer now than before. What makes you think Kins would do any better? What do you mean poor selections? Different from your opinions?

And before I get accused I know its your opinion and thats fine I just cant understand why its clearer now than before after playing and doing relatively well in our last two games.
  • Options
    good four points in a lower league against poorer teams than in recent years
    maybe another 5 seasons here or lower and these results might excite me

[cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]there were some who didn't appreciate an away 4-5-1 nil-nil in the prem,so i would doubt they would welcome at a much lower level.

exactly
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Like NSS, I was watching the golf, so just reading about the match for the first time this morning. Sounds like we could have edged it, but probably a fair result overall. Four points from two aways against newly promoted teams is a good return, and positive to read about the players all being up for it.

Are we on a record for average number of red cards and penalties per match yet?

Injuries at the back could be a concern - we always knew that going into the season reliant on one centre half pairing was riding our luck. Cranie still sounds dodgy (and may now also be injured), Primus gamble hasn't come off. Aswad Thomas, anyone??

Wasn't Semedo originally supposed to be a CH when he came to the club?

right about the Primus gamble. At least Cranie can play CH and Moo2 or Semedo at RB. As for Aswad Thomas, I'd play Holland at CH ahead of him, he really isn't very good.
  • Options
    Yes of course its my opinion.

So tell me what does he bring, what talents has he shown?

My point really is I think we've seen pretty much what he has to offer - and that to me is not a lot - so might as well give someone else a shot. Robbo or Kins may not be better, but I can't see them being any worse.

:)
  • Options
    We played alright on Saturday, they came flying out of the traps as a home team should, but we defended well. after that it was a pretty decent game, good football played by both sides, and both had decent chances.

4 points from two awkward away games in a week, and if it wasn't for a wonder save from Paul Smith, it'll have been 6 points.

Onwards and upwards
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Yes of course its my opinion.

So tell me what does he bring, what talents has he shown?

My point really is I think we've seen pretty much what he has to offer - and that to me is not a lot - so might as well give someone else a shot. Robbo or Kins may not be better, but I can't see them being any worse.

Robbo (john I assume) has zero experience in league management or coaching. Correct me if I am wrong.

Kins was being slated on here by one person as totally unsuitable for first team management as the reserves lost to Aldershot.

There are certainly elements of Pardew's management that I find frustrating but 4 points from two away games is promotion form.

We've not started fantastically but we are doing OK. Top half of the table and getting results. We have players to come in and there is real competition for places now (barring injuries to nearly all the CHs).

IMHO we need a spark and that maybe ZZ or even Ambrose. We shall see.
  • Options
    We're still 9th
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]We're still 9th

lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]We're still 9th

wise words
  • Options
    I did not go to Forest as had to work all day instead so I'll accept the more considered reports of those that went. Managers are ultimately judged on results & a 1-0 and a 0-0 in two away games on paper is not too shabby.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Still no one can actually say what Pards brings...

A major craw at the moment is letting big Chris leave, if I was a betting man I would say that was his decision, opting to keep Todorov I would guess.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]

A major craw at the momentis letting big Chris leave, if I was a betting man I would say that was his decision.

i don't think his style of play suited us...
  • Options
    The sale of Big Chris, in my opinion, was a business decision.

We needed to get a striker off the books and the only one we could, and make a profit at the same time was Chris.

Very unfortunate.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm sure he was told to lose a striker, not convinced it had to big Chris - he just needed the right kind of service, I agree there was a tendency to lump it up to him, but hey aren't Managers supposed to address things like that?

How anyone can really believe that surrendering huge amounts of posession and nicking a goal is the best way to play I really can't understand, and yet Pards hails this sort of thing. We won't even make the playoffs playing that way.
  • Options
    Not sure raz, if we base that on the last two results and that we win half of our remaining games 1-0 and draw the rest 0-0 then we will end up with 89 points.

That could get us play offs. ;-)
  • Options
    ha ha dream on

• Options
    Fortune was on crutches so think that we'll see Linvoy back for Sheff Wed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I'm sure he was told to lose a striker, not convinced it had to big Chris - he just needed the right kind of service?
    I think that's right. Pardew had to lose someone who was on a big salary and was saleable, so his choices were limited. We can look at the goals he's getting and say that he should not have been the one. But, when he was signed we were always aware that he thrives on crosses. At Wolves he's got probably the best two wide players in the league feeding him. If he'd stayed with us, that wouldn't have been the case and I don't believe that he would be scoring anything like the numbers that he's putting in for them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]Fortune was on crutches so think that we'll see Linvoy back for Sheff Wed.

Linvoy back ? Yeah, back at Portsmaouth that is having treatment on another injury that may keep him out for who knows how long. Hindsight is a great thing but this had disaster written all over it as many pointed out at the time.
  • Options
    He's back with us, Large. It was only a precaution and they reckon he should be fit for Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]He's back with us, Large. It was only a precaution and they reckon he should be fit for Saturday.

whoops, missed that, still think it's a disaster waiting to happen though.
  • Options
    I think that we are a blueprint for how to go from 8 years in the prem and stay afloat and still half challenge......

I think the board has done great if I am honest..... we have spent loads with bad purchases(Dowie) he de railed the club and we didnt have the power and forsight to get out of it... w then sell again at crucial time with reid going when we were looking likely for at least a playoff place.... so here we are

Financially solvent... with a smattering of prem standard players, ambrose(ish), Zheng, Todorov.... now todders for me could be the key, but we have said that for two years.... zheng will get a few and I think with Bailey about that could work well.....

Overall though if we are solvent and the club is not in danger Im happy... to spend a few seasons or even a long time here is better than the club rolling the dice and risking it all.... Pards has seen us through this time and although he talks like hes charlie big potatoes, I think he has done ok.... I still dont think anyone could do a better job at the mo though.....
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Mort: he thrived with us last year, well more than the other strikers did...

Mascot: What exactly has Pards achieved? Are you seriously saying he stopped us getting relegated last season then? He also had a huge budget for this league.
  • Options
    Well apart from Curbishley,Dowie and McCarthy,Pardew is the right manager for Charlton.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Mort: he thrived with us last year, well more than the other strikers did...

Mascot: What exactly has Pards achieved? Are you seriously saying he stopped us getting relegated last season then? He also had a huge budget for this league.[/quote]

No mate Im not saying that he saved us getting relegated.... I said i think he has done ok... no better than that, I am not impressed with what he has done... but we are not in free fall and a lot of clubs who have been in the prem for a while have gone into freefall....

I think I have just found my peace with the club being in the cc for a few years... Pards may have been able to buy better ..... who would you bring in them Razil?? And they would wont to spend as well Id imagine...
  • Options
    Perhaps Parky for a bit, or as I said Kins or Robbo. I don't buy this thing about they aren't ready, if we are staying in this league, so what.. or perhaps someone like DiCanio if available.
  • Options
    I would have settled for 4 points with away games with Donnie & Forest in the same week, good results, although I hear we should have sneaked it at Forest.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]I think that we are a blueprint for how to go from 8 years in the prem and stay afloat and still half challenge......

I think the board has done great if I am honest..... we have spent loads with bad purchases(Dowie) he de railed the club and we didnt have the power and forsight to get out of it... w then sell again at crucial time with reid going when we were looking likely for at least a playoff place.... so here we are

Financially solvent... with a smattering of prem standard players, ambrose(ish), Zheng, Todorov.... now todders for me could be the key, but we have said that for two years.... zheng will get a few and I think with Bailey about that could work well.....

Overall though if we are solvent and the club is not in danger Im happy... to spend a few seasons or even a long time here is better than the club rolling the dice and risking it all.... Pards has seen us through this time and although he talks like hes charlie big potatoes, I think he has done ok.... I still dont think anyone could do a better job at the mo though.....

I agree with pretty much all of this. My view having been to most games this season is that our improvements this season are that; we have tightened up defensively with a really excellent partnership developing between Hudson and Fortune, have more energy and bite in midfield with Bailey, and we're starting to see the best of Gray in attack. We also have ZZ, Tody and Ambrose to come. We have a good spirit and the players are playing for one another.

The things we lack at the moment are:

a) threat and consistancy in wide areas - Bouazza's had a decent performance and lots of very average ones and Sam, for all his effort just doesn't make quick enough decisions when he is attacking with the ball at his feet.
    b) understanding between the strikers
    c) Real fluency borne out of players who have confidence in their roles and responsibilies

I don't think we far off though. I think the plan for the last two games was to keep things tight at least until half time and hopefully nick a goal. Although it wasn't pretty, our improved defensive strength mean't we stood a much better chance of doing this. As it happens we got a real bonus early goal against Donny and should have won the Forest game but for a world class save.

As regards Pardew, I just think his positive approach to everything sometimes means that he thinks that the players can do things outside their comfort zones when they haven't quite got the measure of whats required. Both the last two games, according to Pards we played 4-5-1. Well against Donny the players were still playing 4-4-2 until late in the second half, and against Forest they seemed uneasy at what was required. It's all very well for Pards to say that they team are bright enough to switch to this formation, the reality is that they appear to need at least 45 minutes to find their feet.
  • Options
    The manager changes things around to get results - he get's those results, so some people start discussing who amongst the most inexperienced should replace him........ (!)
  • Options
    Pards has a lot of things to answer for but the signings of Hudson and Bailey were master strokes and have bought him a second chance from me. Can really see this team kicking on when we eventually gel.