Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Orrrrrrr the paperwork still hasnt come through? He'd need a work permit to come here from Nigeria, he's probably only been playing in Switzerland because the work permits are easier to obtain without the EU poking their noses in
  • Dizzle said:

That Nigerian guy that was training with us seems to be a bit frustrated.

He has put a tweet saying

"Powell is letting me down"

"Is Powell on twitter that man is C.........."

He does state he is scheduled to come back and train some more with us This weekend though

If that's for real he's surely just shot himself in the foot? Saying your 'potential' manager is letting you down then referencing him as a C? No thanks
  • edited January 2013
    He's just emailed me - his dad is a prince and has just died leaving 50 Squillion Dollars he said I can have half all I had to do was send him my bank details! What a great start to the day! I might buy the club now! ;o)
  • I really don't get why some people want Ephraim back from QPR, very much a poor man's Jerome Thomas and not much different to Lee Cook really.

We are not going up or down and therefore I'd much rather see Calum Harriott blooded on the left and get a few appearances under his belt and eased in gently.
  • I agree elthamaddick
  • A massive waste of talent.

That 5 year contract has set him up soundly financially but not done him any favours football wise.

Sounds like he needs a kick up the arse.
  • reo coker has left ipswich apparently wanted a two year deal and only offerd a one.
  • Sponsored links:

• reo coker has left ipswich apparently wanted a two year deal and only offerd a one.

Think we may have had a lucky escape not getting him. Ipswich fans i have spoken to have not been impressed.
  • Surely Michael Johnson needs to have a word with himself?
  • Oggy Red said:

Surely Michael Johnson needs to have a word with himself?

I fear its far too late for that, too mentally fragile.
  • edited January 2013
    You could well be right, Ormy.

It all seems to have come too easy for him, too young.

He doesn't seem to want it badly enough.
    But you never know, in the right environment, with the right manager and team mates - and the right attitude.

But it has to come from him.
  • Judging by that photo he needs to lose about 3 stones before he's worth a go anywhere but on the Sunday morning circuit
  • Oggy Red said:

But you never know, in the right environment, with the right manager and team mates - and the right attitude.

There was a terrific piece on him in the Guardian, it basically said he could not handle the expectations in the pro game and had taken to hanging out with his old estate mates for an easier life.

Coaches at City said he was technically great but mentally not at the races.

• What I've always said - given reasonable ability, the rest of your game is played inside your head.
    If you know what I mean.
  • Jay Tabb would be a great signing
  • Oggy Red said:

What I've always said - given reasonable ability, the rest of your game is played inside your head.
    If you know what I mean.

Saw an interview with Dietmar Hamann once, he said that his Liverpool team mate Bruno Cheyrou was - in training sessions and behind closed doors games - an unbelievable player, better than anyone Hamman had ever played with.

Come match day though and Hamman said poor old Cheyrou lacked the mental strength to impose himself on games and could never show his real talent as a result, this has probably applied to plenty of others too.
  • edited January 2013
    Totally agree, Ormy.

Football has always been a confidence game.

Wayne Rooney said as a 17 year old, he just went out and played; pressure, what pressure?
    Jimmy Greaves, in his autobiography, said he often used to finish the game with a headache, as his concentration was always 100%.

The pressure to perform can be horrendous.

How many times have you heard a manager say that Billy Bloggs is unplayable in training, yet come match day he's anonymous or mistake ridden - and the harder he tries, the worse he gets. And then the barracking starts from the crowd. The player is a nervous wreck.

You only have to read the stories of players with depression to know how it affects them.
    Especially the younger pros. Even if they're on mega bucks.

Professional football is a pressure game -and the higher the level, the more pressure there is, especially with media saturation.

Some players just can't handle it.

• Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:

Jimmy Greaves, in his autobiography, said he often used to finish the game with a headache, as his concentration was always 100%.

Hmmmmm......or a hangover?

• That's terrible for the lad. Can only guess that City tried counselling and support to try and help his 'condition' before going this far. Wasted talent and career.

• Oggy Red said:

There was a terrific piece on him in the Guardian, it basically said he could not handle the expectations in the pro game and had taken to hanging out with his old estate mates for an easier life.

Coaches at City said he was technically great but mentally not at the races.

I'd say then, get him away from Manchester but as you both say, he needs to have the inner desire to do it.
  • He needs to go and play abroad, get away from the English game & system of coaching.
  • edited January 2013

He needs to go and play abroad, get away from the English game & system of coaching kebab houses, fish and chip shops, chinese takeaways and chicken shops.

I agree entirely
  • He needs to go and play abroad, get away from the English game & system of coaching kebab houses, fish and chip shops, chinese takeaways and chicken shops.

I agree entirely
    Rules out playing for Magaluf then!
  • Well he's certainly earned enough money in that time and if he's got any sense, he's invested it. It could be a while before he gets another club as he needs to get fit and prove himself to any potential club (you'd guess in the champ or lower).
  • Looks like he's invested it in Greggs and has subsequently seen significant growth.
  • cafc-west said:

That's terrible for the lad. Can only guess that City tried counselling and support to try and help his 'condition' before going this far. Wasted talent and career.

Why's that terrible for him? He wasted his own talent and still probably became a millionaire out of it
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!