Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

St Georges Day

DA9DA9
edited March 2009 in Not Sports Related
My boy has been told by his school (well not just him obviously) that no pupil is allowed to wear any St George related badge, carry a St George flag, T-shirt ect for P.E. etc on St Georges Day, in case it offends other pupils.

Should I complain?

Comments

• Options
    write to the press mate.
  • Options
    This really is ridiculous.

I hope Dartford puts up all of the bunting in the High Street again.
  • Options
    Yes. But in a positive way and how every body should be able to celebrate their culture. The cross of St george has been hijacked by the intolerant right then it is high time that the masses take it back again. society needs to be inclusive of all cultures not exclusive to some.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It's a total farce...you try and stop anyone else celebrating their nationality and you get told you are a xenophobe and a racist! The rest of the world just laughs at us.. we are a joke nation
  • Options
    well the organisers of the St Paddys Day parade in London are a tad miffed as Boris has cut their budget slightly , he is doing this for the Indian New Year (Dewalie ?) , the bangladesh festival and the latin american festival. When its gets to the elevel of the amount that is given to the St Georges Day parade maybe they can bark a bit.
  • Options
    I've explained to him that the school obviously has a school uniform policy, and they can use that to basically say no badges etc and get away with it, but they have been told, no flags, no bunting, no celebration etc, in case it offends students from other religions or ethnic backgrounds (their words, not his or mine).
    I dont remember him or my daughter getting a choice when the school celebrated Diwali or black history week.
  • Options
    Difficult one that, depends if its the same for all.

Id be tempted send my kid (if I had one) into school on every national day of every country with a relevant flag or item and see how they react to that (Particularly those countries or regions that share George as their patron).
  • Options
    who has hijacked the St Gerge cross ? thats total left wing bullshit put up to try and counter the effect of their Pc bollox .

Might be some agruement in the Unin flag being used by the far right (NF/BNP) but just where is has the flag of St George been used by the far right ?
  • Options
    Adding to my previous comment, it is the schools job to educate the kids and part of this is to explain the positive relevance of St Georges day to England. By hiding it under the table they actually reinforce the negativity associated eith it. Finally, St georges day is still a day celebrated by the church, therefore why are the school putting themselves above God --- couple of hundred years ago they would have been burnt.
  • Options
    What a joke

I say go to the Press

How can it really offend anyone lets be honest all these do gooders need to live in the real world
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]who has hijacked the St Gerge cross ? thats total left wing bullshit put up to try and counter the effect of their Pc bollox .

Might be some agruement in the Unin flag being used by the far right (NF/BNP) but just where is has the flag of St George been used by the far right ?

Good point. Confused the two. Just to cherer you u[p here's an alternative view of St Georges cross
    [url=: www.thesun.co.uk/.../news/article367418.ece] St George Cross[/url]

Would Ya!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Thommo[/cite]Id be tempted send my kid (if I had one) into school on every national day of every country with a relevant flag or item and see how they react to that

Great idea Thommo. Next up is St Patricks Day... what will your son wear for that one DA9?

;-)
  • Options
    Does not banning things like St Georges day just create a bigger divide between us all ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]who has hijacked the St Gerge cross ? thats total left wing bullshit put up to try and counter the effect of their Pc bollox .

Keep St George in my heart keep me happy....

(not saying I don't agree but just a point thats all)
  • Options
    Don't send him to school tell them he's celebrating St George's day at home so not to offend any pupil that won't be offended.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]Don't send him to school tell them he's celebrating St George's day at home so not to offend any pupil that won't be offended.

Then get sent a letter from the school threatning to take you to court for keeping your kid at home!

Which ever way you turn the numptys have got you!!!
  • Options
    and
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]Don't send him to school tell them he's celebrating St George's day at home so not to offend any pupil that won't be offended.[/quote]

This is allowed as he is celebrating his culture.

My girls Irish dance and are allowed time off as its there culture so they say, they presume they are Irish which they are NOT in no way and my kids mates get time of for cultrual events

Surely it works both ways?

Another thing all the bull about the right using th flag FFS this happens all over the world know other country has the same problems with there flag as we do
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Thommo[/cite]Id be tempted send my kid (if I had one) into school on every national day of every country with a relevant flag or item and see how they react to that

Great idea Thommo. Next up is St Patricks Day... what will your son wear for that one DA9?

;-)

LOL....no problem with tipping a nod & wink to ANYONES national day, I've celebrated St Patricks day myself with a few pints of the black stuff, just peeved with the whole attitude from certain schools & local councils to OUR national day
  • Options
    You can't win mate
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    the sad thing is I bet if you asked every asian, black , polish , mongolian, welshman if they were offended you'd get 1 in 1000 so lets' all pander to the ONE.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]My boy has been told by his school (well not just him obviously) that no pupil is allowed to wear any St George related badge, carry a St George flag, T-shirt ect for P.E. etc on St Georges Day, in case it offends other pupils.

Should I complain?

I promised myself a calm and relaxing day today and then what happens, I read this, makes my fekking blood boil.

Ledge is spot on, keep him at home and explain that you are celebrating St Georges Day and you don't wish to offend, if they write to you about your son being absent from school take it to the press.

My son attends Bromley College and I heard a disgusting story from one of his teachers but I must stay calm.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Options
    share the story EAST STAND share it with your Lifer family
  • Options
    Thats the thing tho - if you asked any immigrant community if they were offended by celebrations for st.georges day im pretty sure they'd say no. But that shouldnt even matter should it? we should respect anyones right to celebrate their heritage in a positive way, if it offends people - thats their problem.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]the sad thing is I bet if you asked every asian, black , polish , mongolian, welshman if they were offended you'd get 1 in 1000 so lets' all pander to the ONE.

Some of us on here attend a large St George celebration every year locally, we have had Irish, Scots & Welsh with us.
  • Options
    Bexley Business academy is the only school i know that openly celebrate it

They are the worst school education wise but St Georges day is was alwys good there

Kids encouraged to wear the flag and guess what the so called people who they think will be offended ALL wore England Shirts

Maybe the press should go there and show what a great day it can be
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]the sad thing is I bet if you asked every asian, black , polish , mongolian, welshman if they were offended you'd get 1 in 1000 so lets' all pander to the ONE.

Some of us on here attend a large St George celebration every year locally, we have had Irish, Scots & Welsh with us.

yes i know I have been there as well with you lovely people - many years ago admittedly not been lately
  • Options
    In answer to your question, yes you should complain and should encourage other parents to as well.

As leftbehind says above, supid PC rulings like this do nothing but divide sections of the communitee rather than bring them together.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BrightonAddick[/cite]Thats the thing tho - if you asked any immigrant community if they were offended by celebrations for st.georges day im pretty sure they'd say no. But that shouldnt even matter should it? we should respect anyones right to celebrate their heritage in a positive way, if it offends people - thats their problem.

Attended a St Georges day parade in Brighton last year, we had the Ghurkas march with us, thoroughly good day, and doing it again this year, Sunday 26th FYI.
  • Options
    As I know from my teaching days, it's a situation in which a very few parents will use vigorously to try and promote their far right racist views, so it is difficult. The school is missing a great opportunity though. I was at a Gillingham school which 'celebrated' all the days important both to our heritage and newer cultures. Parents were invited into the school to explain what the day meant to them. The kids loved these days and everyone (myself included) learnt a lot about each other and it promoted tolerance and understanding. I'd want to have a quiet word with the head and try to make effective change to benefit all of us.