Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

St Georges Day

Comments

• Options
    I am sorry but why is Gordon Brown "shaking in his boots" about the English rediscovering their Englishness ! What utter twaddle. Is he afraid we are going to march north again !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite][
    Sad, due to my original point, you will see countless English people pretending to be Irish next week, but some wont even know when St Georges day is.

I'm English and proud of that. I don't have to put down someone else's culture, history, customs or drinking habits to be proud of it either.

Whose done that then?
  • Options
    you don't need permission to have a good time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]I am sorry but why is Gordon Brown "shaking in his boots" about the English rediscovering their Englishness ! What utter twaddle. Is he afraid we are going to march north again !

I said 'quaking'
    Because he knows the current devolution policy is unfair to England. Because he knows if England gets it's own government it will be Tory dominated, Because he created his wholly artificial 'Britishness' agenda to try and cover his governments anti-English policies. Because he wishes a 'Britain of nations and regions' (direct quote) meaning nations of Scotland and Wales and nine euro-regions formerly England.
    Listen to him speak, he can't even use the word England. When he pontificates over (say) what he intends to do with the NHS, he means in England (NHS is devolved to Scotland and Wales) but he won't say so.
  • Options
    no no no Henry someone has to be blamed !

its like when there has been a huge f**k up at work and the big wigs say" we are not into the blame culutre etc etc etc " you know they are looking to land a heap of pain onto someone.

So i blame ------------------- the labour party --------------everyone who votes for em--------------ken livingston (because i always do) ------------ Tony (give me the money) Blair-------------Jaqui (i need a man) Smith-----------Harriet Harperson --------------Billy (jump on the band wagon) Bragg----------------------------The Eco mafia--------------------anyone who eats tofu--------------------Greenwich Council-----------------TFL-------------------------Guardian readers. That covers it.
  • Options
    Sorry for mis quoting you Daggs. Quaking ! " if England gets it's own government it will be Tory dominated" So why did not previous Tory governments not go down that line ? or can we expect David Cameron to do the deed. Twaddle !
  • Options
    probably the reason st Gs day isnt that popular here is for the very reason that the other saints days are.

In other words if we lived 'abroad' like the Scots, Welsh and Irish do, when they live in England, we might want to celebrate it...

Also the word saint is a bit off putting to athiests

I think we should have a national holiday for Great Britain day, and do away with any saints days.
  • Options
    Daggs said Henry can you not see the English have been encouraged to erase their own identity for decades. Now we are awakening again, and there is some resentment and anger about why we are not allowed to celebrate our own culture. There are constant stories of councils finding ways to ban St George's day just as DA9 said at the start of this thread.
    I'm with you lets have St George's day, silly hats, carnival in the street type of days. But 'authority 'doesn't like us to do so. G.Brown quakes in his boots that the English might re-discover themselves.

No, The English have been encouraged to erase their own identity for centuries every since the Norman conquest and French became the official language of the court and law and a French usurper king choose a Greek Saint who had never been to England - who certainly never did the one thing he is famous for - as our patron saint in the 14th century.

But we got over it and we conquered the countries near to us, not the other way around.

You ARE allowed to celebrate your culture. You will not be arrested for speaking English in the street, you can buy Shakespeare in any book shop, you can eat a full English breakfast it most hotels and cafes, You can watch Carry On films on DVD, Children are taught English history in our schools (yes, they are. I read my sons homework) or you can listed to the music of the Beatles, Benjamin Britten or Blur on your iPod.

You can even wear a tacky nylon replica England football shirt in the pub without being banned and you can have a SGD party. There is one in Bexley Village every year. More and more pubs are doing the same thing.

A few stupid schools like the one DA9's son goes to stop you wearing a badge. My son's school encourage their children to wear red and white on the day. Yes, a few councils some years ago try to ban flags but find me some actual current banning orders that are in place now. Bet you won't get more than one or two for the whole country, if any.

And do you really think Gordon Brown gives a toss one way or the other? I don't.

I would say stop moaning and complaining that we're not allowed to celebrate SGD but then what is more English than moaning and complaining : - )
  • Options
    Shouldn't tofu now be called bean curd?

I thought I'd add a new dimension cos this thread is going round in circles.
  • Options
    DA9,

People were moaning about St Particks Day and why that is celebrated but SGD isn't. So what? Two excuses for a drink if that is what you want. Having SPD doesn't stop SGD
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]no no no Henry someone has to be blamed !

So true. Wouldn't be English if we stopped moaning and blaming someone else and actually got on with doing something positive for a change.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Henry i kinda think dear Gordon has bigger problems at the moment--------------- if its no big thing they why not give the English their own assembly ? why not let them decide where THEIR tax moneys go to !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! o shit there it is .
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]Shouldn't tofu now be called bean curd?

può parlare più lentamente, per favore
  • Options
    Suzi ur right Thai and Chinese call it bean curd -------------- still muck tho.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Daggs saidHenry can you not see the English have been encouraged to erase their own identity for decades. Now we are awakening again, and there is some resentment and anger about why we are not allowed to celebrate our own culture. There are constant stories of councils finding ways to ban St George's day just as DA9 said at the start of this thread.
    I'm with you lets have St George's day, silly hats, carnival in the street type of days. But 'authority 'doesn't like us to do so. G.Brown quakes in his boots that the English might re-discover themselves.

No, The English have been encouraged to erase their own identity for centuries every since the Norman conquest and French became the official language of the court and law and a French usurper king choose a Greek Saint who had never been to England - who certainly never did the one thing he is famous for - as our patron saint in the 14th century.

But we got over it and we conquered the countries near to us, not the other way around.

You ARE allowed to celebrate your culture. You will not be arrested for speaking English in the street, you can buy Shakespeare in any book shop, you can eat a full English breakfast it most hotels and cafes, You can watch Carry On films on DVD, Children are taught English history in our schools (yes, they are. I read my sons homework) or you can listed to the music of the Beatles, Benjamin Britten or Blur on your iPod.

You can even wear a tacky nylon replica England football shirt in the pub without being banned and you can have a SGD party. There is one in Bexley Village every year. More and more pubs are doing the same thing.

A few stupid schools like the one DA9's son goes to stop you wearing a badge. My son's school encourage their children to wear red and white on the day. Yes, a few councils some years ago try to ban flags but find me some actual current banning orders that are in place now. Bet you won't get more than one or two for the whole country, if any.

And do you really think Gordon Brown gives a toss one way or the other? I don't.

I would say stop moaning and complaining that we're not allowed to celebrate SGD but then what is more English than moaning and complaining : - )

he was from palestine and not greece.but other than that,i think you are spot on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]DA9,

People were moaning about St Particks Day and why that is celebrated but SGD isn't. So what? Two excuses for a drink if that is what you want. Having SPD doesn't stop SGD
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]no no no Henry someone has to be blamed !

So true. Wouldn't be English if we stopped moaning and blaming someone else and actually got on with doing something positive for a change.

Not the fact that St Pats day was celebrated, no issues with that, celebrated it myself, but the fact that some English people will celebrate St Pats, but wont bother with their own saints day, thats my whole issue.
  • Options
    If we had a big old english brand pump as much money into SGD as Guinness do into SPD we might get somewhere...
  • Options
    spitfire?
  • Options

mi chiamo suzanne
  • Options
    Thank you Thread Killer

Greece, Palestine, where ever he should be coming over here, tooled up, killing endangered species, taking our jobs and our woman, bringing his funny food with him, banning celebration of his day, wibble, wibble........

Sorry, had a bit of a Daily Mail moment. I'll go and lie down : - )
  • Options

Two excuses for a drink if that is what you want. Having SPD doesn't stop SGD

But be careful if you have too much to drink or you may end up with an STD
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]

mi chiamo suzanne

Piacere, mi chiamo Ben. Dove vivi?
  • Options
    We did Rochester High St last year for St George's Day... some of us lasted better than others, aint that right WSS?!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]

Two excuses for a drink if that is what you want. Having SPD doesn't stop SGD

But be careful if you have too much to drink or you may end up with an STD

But be careful if you have too much to drink or you may end up with an STD[/quote]

Would the STD start out green after SPD but be red by SGD?
  • Options
    Perhaps Saint Crispins day celebration would defuse the whole situation ? 25th October I think
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]We did Rochester High St last year for St George's Day... some of us lasted better than others, aint that right WSS?!

"chicken"

LOL.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Sorry for mis quoting you Daggs. Quaking ! " if England gets it's own government it will be Tory dominated" So why did not previous Tory governments not go down that line ? or can we expect David Cameron to do the deed. Twaddle !

The clue is in the party's full name. The Conservative and Unionist party.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]If we had a big old english brand pump as much money into SGD as Guinness do into SPD we might get somewhere...

You really should be in marketing...

SPD is a national holiday in Oireland and that gives them an excuse to have a party, that's all there is to it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Perhaps Saint Crispins day celebration would defuse the whole situation ? 25th October I think

Yep, at least in the modern calendar.

But St Crispin is a Catholic saint...
  • Options
    Interesting debate, we all have our different views but good its all been conducted sensibly.

I'm sinking this now, its been at the top of the forum for two days, and at the end of the day we are a football site, not a political / social debating society. Bit sad that more people have commented on this than clicked a button to say who they think will win tomorrow.

Its not closed though, so feel free to carry on if you so wish.
  • Options
    Ps. Back to the very originally post.

Good luck DA9, i hope you speak to other parents, put it to school in a polite way why you think they are wrong, and get the right response.

If they don't, then take it forward with your local councillor and go from there. These things DO change when people follow things through.