Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

St Georges Day

Comments

• Options
    Dartford council actively promote St Georges day, bunting, flags, and they hand packs out to high street shops and business, it's greatly received by all concerned.

For me, the schools and councils that implement these sort of bans are only doing so in line with their own left wing agenda's and policies.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]share the story EAST STAND share it with your Lifer family

OK, OK, I will start another thread as it will take this one off topic and I don't want my wrists slapped by the PC brigade on here :-) (Only Joking)
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    if you have an issue with it. Then complain. The school will have a complaints policy. Make use of it. Go into the office and ask to see a copy of said policy and make a complaint. In this case I imagine the complain should go to the head in the first instance and if you do not get a satisfactory response escalate it to the governors.

jumping to the press will simply get the backs up of those in the school and make it more difficult for you to make you point.

essentially be the bigger man. explain politely why you think they are wrong and go from there. You may be surprised and find that:

a. they agree with you and change their policy (probably not for this year but going forwards)
    b. they give you a sensible reason why they do not celebrate this particular saint's day.

failing that keep an eye out for governor vacancies and put yourself forward, change them from within. that's what I did.
  • Options
    good shout kigelia
  • Options
    so St Georges Day should "promote understanding" FFS piss off why isnt that same thing put to the people who organise St Paddies day , Chinese New Year etc etc etc ---------- just more left wing fluffy bollx.
  • Options
    Is not allowing St Georges day a left wing thing?, is being politically correct left wing?

What is this left wing anyways?
  • Options
    What a load of old nonsense this really is.

I'm not offended by any other country celebrating their national day, so why should they be offended by mine, in my own country!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]What a load of old nonsense this really is.

I'm not offended by any other country celebrating their national day, so why should they be offended by mine, in my own country![/quote]

Medders you are the quintessential liberal!
  • Options
    Definitely complain mate , what a load of absolute nonsense
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Here's a good lefties views on St Georges day

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/yourview/1549073/Billy-Bragg-answers-your-questions-on-St-Georges-Day.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/apr/23/britishidentity
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Trying to work out where will be best to go to celebrate. Bexley / Dartford or Greenwich
  • Options
    Just about sums up this f***ing country of ours. Absolute joke.

20 years ago, I was living in Walthamstow. One day the boys came home with a letter from the school telling us that they were to learn 'Urdu' so that they could communicate with some of the kids that couldn't talk English. The house went on the market the very next day!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    "so St Georges Day should "promote understanding" FFS piss off why isnt that same thing put to the people who organise St Paddies day , Chinese New Year etc etc etc
    just more left wing fluffy bollx. "

I didn't say it SHOULD promote understanding, I said that something a school had done HAD promoted tolerance and understanding which is somewhat different. Just more fluffy reading, back to school for you!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: FTP[/cite]Trying to work out where will be best to go to celebrate. Bexley / Dartford or Greenwich

Bexley, you know it makes sense, and I can pay you for that scarf :-)
  • Options
    why this is not a public holiday befuddles me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]why this is not a public holiday befuddles me.

exactly nolly,i bet it's a holiday in some of the other countries that he represents.i mean,one country is even named after him.

come on labour,give us what we want.
  • Options
    "a good leftie" !!!!! no such thing.

DA9 seems we are starting in Bexley and heading to welling (ML`s boozer).

as for the public holiday unless they move labour day we wont be having 5 public holidays in two months.
  • Options
    Speaking as one of those left wing types, if the reason is it may offend someone to see something English in England, you should complain.
  • Options
    dont get you ralph explain.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]"a good leftie" !!!!! no such thing.

DA9 seems we are starting in Bexley and heading to welling (ML`s boozer).

as for the public holiday unless they move labour day we wont be having 5 public holidays in two months.

Nice, is he decorating for the occassion?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Herd his was puting red and white beads in his beard
  • Options
    "My boy has been told by his school (well not just him obviously) that no pupil is allowed to wear any St George related badge, carry a St George flag, T-shirt ect for P.E. etc on St Georges Day, in case it offends other pupils"

My point is, we are in England so celebrating that should not be seen as unacceptable or offensive.
  • Options
    well said,only in england this debate would arise.
  • Options
    Yes DA9 you absolutely should complain to the school. This is England, we are entitled to celebrate our saints' day without interference from those who would deny us our heritage.
    As others have pointed out, schools push other cultures on to our children, this should not be to the exclusion of our own culture.
    If they refuse to see sense, approach Dartford councillor Mike Tibby. He is an English Democrat. He lives on East hill, you'll see his house it sports a St George flag permanently.
  • Options
    it kills you to think that we are the only country not allowed to celebrate OUR saints day, we have a St Patricks day parade ffs, im half irish half english but love both my country of birth and the country of my parents, but this is beyond a joke. Is it because the st georges cross was used and abused by the bnp and hooligans in the 80's? if we changed our flag would that make it all better. should be a bank holiday FACT. How bad is it now then when someone flies one in the garden or hangs one out of the balcony people mutter about they must be racsists...

stgeorges.jpeg
  • Options
    Who takes your son to school? I presume it's not another pupil. In which case, get them to don as much St George's Day regalia as possible (and encourage overs to do the same!)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red Riding Hoodie[/cite]Who takes your son to school? I presume it's not another pupil. In which case, get them to don as much St George's Day regalia as possible (and encourage overs to do the same!)

Unfortunately, he does not live with me, otherwise I would march him up to the gates in full St George regalia myself (he's up for it BTW,not me imposing my will on him)
  • Options
    Da9 get two white horses fof the local pikeys and we dress in armour ride up to school gates ask them where the dragon is ?
  • Options
    Slay the mo fo dragon head teacher!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Da9 get two white horses fof the local pikeys and we dress in armour ride up to school gates ask them where the dragon is ?

And then turn around sheepishly when they say Libya....