Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Boys of Summer return - Baseball is here again

Comments

• Options
    Red Sox, of course.

Henry, the main difference between the AL & the NL is that pitchers also have to bat in the NL. In the AL their batting position is filled by a Designated Hitter, who bats but doesn't field. David Ortiz is the Red Sox' normal designated hitter & he is an absolute legend.
  • Options
    It's the Yanks for me (waits for the torrent of abuse). This is simply based on the Rudd Rule which says that, whatever the sport, the first team that you see live in whichever country, becomes 'your team'. I saw El Duque pitch in a 3-0 rout of the Red Sox some years ago and became hooked. I recently renewed my MLB.TV subscription for about the fifth year - $80 for the entire 162 game regular season of every team, plus post-season. Beat that, Sky.

If you ever get a chance to go to a game, don't hesitate. Ticket prices are really good compared to football, although beginning to increase - but the whole 'God Bless America' experience is a joy to behold. I've done New York (old stadium), Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington - wearing a Charlton shirt every time. Actually met some Charlton fans at the Washington game.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Go Vipers!

I support my local team...etc etc
  • Options
    SE10, order your tickets now! Then the missus has no choice - do not miss the experience.

Yankees fans, first game shmirst game, ball in other court - yank over here, dragged to Manyoo, still a tosser.

Think about it...

;-)
  • Options
    Couldnt you support the Yankees opponents ?
    Still the first team you watched.

Mind you in American football I am a Raiders fan as had to choose between them and Redskins in first superbowl I ever watched.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [quote][cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Couldnt you support the Yankees opponents ?

Mind you in American football I am a Raiders fan as had to choose between them and Redskins in first superbowl I ever watched.[/quote]

Further expansion of the Rudd Rule means that it applies to the home team ......... sorry.

It does mean that, while my Spanish football team is Real Madrid, I have to make do with the likes of FC Viikingit in Finland and Hellas Verona in Italy.
  • Options
    Padres all the way seen them home and away
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Couldnt you support the Yankees opponents ?

Mind you in American football I am a Raiders fan as had to choose between them and Redskins in first superbowl I ever watched.

Further expansion of the Rudd Rule means that it applies to the home team ......... sorry.

It does mean that, while my Spanish football team is Real Madrid, I have to make do with the likes of FC Viikingit in Finland and Hellas Verona in Italy.

Blimey Dave, you sure have a habit of picking the wrong team when you have a choice in a city - Real not Athletico, (nasty fans) Hellas not (nice guys) Cheivo...

Anyway, I can't respect any team whose merchandise can be picked up in Top Shop. :-D
  • Options
    [/quote]

Blimey Dave, you sure have a habit of picking the wrong team when you have a choice in a city - Real not Athletico, (nasty fans) Hellas not (nice guys) Cheivo...

Anyway, I can't respect any team whose merchandise can be picked up in Top Shop. :-D[/quote]

You mean I can get a Viikingit shirt in Top Shop?

You're right about Hellas, though. Some serious madmen in the Curva Sud. Madrid are OK. It's usually a great family day out at the Bernebeu, but they have their Ultras too - nice enough if you stay on the right side of them.
  • Options
    Might go an see the As at the Giants next Thursday - pre season game but got pissed off last year when they played in heavy rain till the beginning of the fifth innings and then called it off just so they did not have to pay back entrance money. Ticket prices were normal season level - I paid about 50 pounds I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Booked tickets to see SF Giants V San Diego Padres....

should be good fun! $57 for a ticket though!
  • Options
    Nice one SE10. Blimey that's gone up! Eight years ago it cost me 16! Mind you we were in the cheapest seats.

Give 'em a yell for me...
  • Options
    If you knew the people we're going with, you'd know that they dont do the cheap seats!!
  • Options
    atlanta ta
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]If you knew the people we're going with, you'd know that they dont do the cheap seats!!

Hopefully they will be the best seats then, behind home plate. We snuck into them for the last two innings when we went, because like football, the corporate lot tend to have them and are only there for appearances sake, so they push off way before the end.
  • Options
    it says "DIRECTLY BEHIND HOMEPLATE IN FRONT OF PRESS BOX**NO OVERHANG"...

sounds good! Wish i wasnt so skint though!
  • Options
    I'll go with Cincinnatti again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]it says "DIRECTLY BEHIND HOMEPLATE IN FRONT OF PRESS BOX**NO OVERHANG"...

sounds good! Wish i wasnt so skint though!

Brilliant (the seats, not the skint bit), I am envious!
  • Options
    Giants off to a winning start! beat the Brewers 10-6. Nice one.
  • Options
    Gotta be the Blue Jays for me as it's the only time I've set foot in an baseball stadium - awesome venue BTW.

Desperately wanted to see a game but with my usual great sense of timing they were on strike at the time. As in 'not working' that is...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Les Addicks[/cite]Gotta be the Blue Jays for me as it's the only time I've set foot in an baseball stadium - awesome venue BTW.

Desperately wanted to see a game but with my usual great sense of timing they were on strike at the time. As in 'not working' that is...

pretty much the same as me there.
  • Options
    Cardinals 1 - 2 so far ; - (

Florida only team with a 3 and O record so far
  • Options
    My Favourite player: Prince Fielder of the Brewers
  • Options
    Da Cubs are off winning an away series 2-1against the Astros.
  • Options
    C'mon the Redskins !!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]C'mon the Redskins !!
    That's funny. The ol' 'change US sporting teams' names around so that their nicknames are humorously switched with teams from other sports trying to be funny but indicating only ignorance' routine never fails.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sorry Leroy.
    I don't really know why this has upset you so, but please except my apologies.
    Sorry.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]Sorry Leroy.
    I don't really know why this has upset you so, but please except my apologies.
    Sorry.
  • Options
    Yankees got beat 22-4 at home.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Yankees got beat 22-4 at home.

It was only the 3rd game at the "new" (though looks just like the old) Yankee Stadium and they conceded 14 runs in the second innings - the most conceded in a single innings in Yankee history.................shame.
    Went to the Mets new stadium Citi Field the other day to see an Exhibition game against the Red Sox - a fantastic ballpark and a major improvement on Shea. Cleverly designed, big but intimate- felt like a football ground. Get there if you can, Mets fans.
    See the Cubs got lucky against the Cards again last night.....can't believe we coudln't score off Mets reject Heilman. Still it'll fun to watch the cabaret of the Cubs in the post-season if they make it again this year - 0 and 6 for the last 2 I seem to recall......come on the Goat!

PS Cards v Cubs on ESPN America Xtra (aka Setanta Ireland, channel 430 on Sky) tonight live at 1am or as-live at 6am tomorrow morning on ESPN America (Sky channel 417).