Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Boys of Summer return - Baseball is here again

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2010
    can't afford to go out.

I thought buying 0.5m charlton shares was a good investment ; - )
  • Options
    Red Sox at the Rays at midnight tonight on ESPN. Could be a good one. First of a 3-game series. Sox pretty much have to sweep (at worst 2 wins) to have a chance of overhauling the Rays.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]can't afford to go out.

I thought buying 0.5m charlton shares was a good investment ; - )

LOL....................snap!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm a SF Giants fan.

BTW, can you imagine the PC Police allowing this to take place in the UK:

PC police

and to add something to a couple of posts further up this thread, Baseball is also the national sport in Cuba.

Cuba currently holds the Olympic record with 3 gold medals and 2 silvers in Baseball.
  • Options
    I've seen a game of baseball in the US when I was over there a few years back - Arizona Diamondbacks were the home team. I look out for their score occasionally, but I wouldn't call myself a fan. I like the way there were guys walking up and down the stands selling beer - somehow can't see that catching on at a football stadium near you anytime soon.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: collegeparkaddick[/cite]Cardinals visit Nationals Park for the first time this season tonight. Following a a happy, albeit pointless three game sweep by the Cubs during their first visit this year, I am happily switching sides tonight and am about to leave the office to go to the stadium and cheer heartily for the home side. Go Nats! Or something to that effect.

Sounds like a great game to have seen. Always a drag to lose in extras but at least Super Albert did the biz.
    I guess sweeping the Nats was pretty much like winning the World Series for the Cubbies these days ;o)

Tough season, but even accounting for a century-long run of bad play, still a far more popular team than any of our neighbors to the south. If nothing else, I imagine this is what burns Cardinals supporters more than anything else.

I went with a friend from St. Louis. In the eighth when Franklin was brought in, I noted that he was having a decent season. My friend said he had no confidence in him, "Franklin will be cruising along and then he'll groove a pitch and a two run lead is gone. He can't strike anyone out." Worked out brilliantly.

After they took the lead in the top of the ninth, he suddenly says that we should go and that he doesn't want to see the Cards blow it. We're out of our seats when the first Nats player up in the ninth gets a hit. We're about half way around the stadium when Franklin strikes out the next batter. I stop to rib him about his lack of confidence. He is insistent we have to go. The television screens up broadcast the Nats announcers saying that it would be a great time for Bernadina to get his first home run at the home park. We are fifteen feet from the gate. Just perfect. He is still pissed this morning.
  • Options
    What's the fans' verdict on Piniella? Change of manager going to make much difference for next season?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: collegeparkaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: collegeparkaddick[/cite] He is still pissed this morning.

Just seen that Strasburg needs Tommy John surgery - poor bloke, what a shame. Nats fans (& management) must really be pissed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]What's the fans' verdict on Piniella? Change of manager going to make much difference for next season?

Don't know. Tough to say what the fans' generally think, as a troubling wave of boo boys and malcontents (perhaps this phenomenon is familiar?) has come to dominate at Wrigley, in the press, and in online commentary. This season was a disaster not so much for the record, but in the way that a lot of many loved squad members got shafted. With Ted Lilly and Derrek Lee gone, the team has lost two of its best citizen-athletes. Sweet Lou's exit in the face of a dire clubhouse is not a terrible surprise.

On the other hand, there is, as always, irrational optimism for the future. During their recent visit to the Capital, I was pleased to see that Ivan DeJesus and Bobby Dernier were the base coaches. Jody Davis is coaching for the team in its minor leagues and Ryne Sandberg is the heir apparent given his performance with the Iowa Cubs. Nice to see so many of the guys I rooted for in the 80s -- who cemented my affection for the team -- still heavily involved with the club.

I will say that coming out of last night's game, my jealousy of the Cards' good fortune in having the services of Albert Pujols was further heightened. Not only did we see his 400th home run, we saw him make a brilliant decision to run down from first base to step in front of Carpenter to take a throw and tag out a Nats runner who got hung up between third and home -- absent the quick move, the Nats runner would have attempted to bowl over Carpenter to dislodge the ball, risking injury to Chris and, certainly, the team's postseason hopes. We also saw him go out of his way to make sure that Matt Holliday was ok after getting beaned and show his appreciation for Holliday taking one for the team. Just a few batters later, we watched as he further went out of his way to make sure to recognize a very good at-bat by Randy Winn that gave them the lead. I enjoy watching Pujols play -- he is a born leader and, for good reason, seems to be respected by everyone on the birds' roster.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Interesting. Must say if I were a Cubs fan, of the big names, I'd rather have seen Zambrano and Soriano exit than Lee and Lilly but I've no idea of the respective contract situations. Amazing to think that Albert was drafted as the 400th(?) overall pick.
    Let's hope there's a closer contest with the Cubs next year.
    Boo boys and malcontents? You've been reading the wrong messageboards collegeparkaddick- all sweetness and light here ;0)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well, this nugget made me feel much better about being a Cubs fan and being precluded from cheering for Pujols.
  • Options
    Can't see the problem myself. Everyone's entitled to their opinion.
  • Options
    Minnesota Twins became the first team to make the play-offs winning the American League Central 12 game ahead of the Chicago White Sox

NY Yankees just 1.5 ahead of Tampa in the AL East but the Texas Rangers well clear in the Al West

Those four almost certain to make the play-offs.

In the National League the Cincinnati Reds are cruising to the the NL Central title thanks to the incompetent Cardinals.

Philadelphia Philies well ahead in the NL East but San Diego and San Francisco neck and neck (Padres by 0.5) in the West.

Atlanta or even Colorado could still take the NL Wild Card place ahead of which one of San Diego Padres or SF Giants don't win the division.
  • Options
    Sox injuries this year were ridiculous. Losing Pedroia was the ultimate kick in the teeth. To still 'only' be 8 games back at this stage of the season in that division is a fantastic achievement. Rotation needs a serious look though. Dice-K, Beckett and Lackey have all under-performed, Buchholz and Lester have been good (Lester especially so in the last couple of months)
  • Options
    Giants in the play-offs... whoopee!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]Interesting. Must say if I were a Cubs fan, of the big names, I'd rather have seen Zambrano and Soriano exit than Lee and Lilly but I've no idea of the respective contract situations. Amazing to think that Albert was drafted as the 400th(?) overall pick.
    Let's hope there's a closer contest with the Cubs next year.
    Boo boys and malcontents? You've been reading the wrong messageboards collegeparkaddick- all sweetness and light here ;0)

Their contracts are the problem - Zambrano is retiring in two seasons when his current deal ends and I can't think another major league team are going to want to take over a contract for two seasons on high pay when he might be de-mob happy. With Soriano he's on mega bucks - a deal negotiated when he had a couple of good seasons with the Nats, he's worked hard, but hasn't had the numbers to justify the salary. Having him as the lead-off hitter doesn't help, true he's got a fair few HRs there, but he strikes out a lot and on those occasions you are one batsman down before the inning has started, I'd bat him at #2 or #3 and hope that whoever bats #1 gets ahead of him gets on base so you can double up.

Sad to see DLee go, but in the nicest possible way his best years are behind him.
  • Options
    So the NY Yankees sweep aside the Twins 3 - 0 while the Texas Rangers beat Tampa Bay 3 - 2 with all five games going to the Road (away) side.

Meanwhile in the NL The SF Giants will face the Philadelphia Phillies after they won their divisional series'
  • Options
    Phillies are looking so good.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Phillies are looking so good.

They are but Lincecum is playing well for the Giants.

Should be interesting
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Phillies are looking so good.

They are but Lincecum is playing well for the Giants.

Should be interesting

True. Phillies ptiching has been top class. A Roy Halladay no hitter last week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Commentators saying pitching been on top this season so maybe not the highest scoring series but both hard to call.
  • Options
    Saturday Lincecum v Halladay game 1 of NLCS. Should be a cracker!

I think another Phillies v NYY world series is on cards with Phillies shading it this time. Phillies gave up just 4 runs in their 3-0 divisional series sweep of the reds. Never under estimate the yankees post season though, even after dodgy end to regular season. They look to have got their pitching together just at right time.
  • Options
    http://rangers.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12857169&topic_id=14873502&c_id=mlb

Texas Ranger beat the Yankees 8 - 0 in NY to go 2 -1 up in the ALCS

In more important news Tony Le Rusa signs on for another years as the Cardinals manager.
  • Options
    Giants one game away from the WS - Come on Lincecum!
  • Options
    Yeeeessss! Get in!
  • Options
    Texas Rangers v San Francisco Giants in the Series

Texas have never won the World Series and the Giants have not won it since moving from New York in '58
  • Options
    George W. Bush once owned the Texas Rangers, an acquistion completed on an inside deal before he became Gov. of Texas.

A lot of neutrals in this World Series find that fact a major stumbling bloc to rooting for the Rangers.
  • Options
    Luckily I'm not neutral Doug. Come on the Giants!
  • Options
    MK GIANTS.....
  • Options
    Anything for the Bush rangers not to win..... but then the San Franciso Giants and Los Angeles Dodgers hmmmm. Still I'd rather see the Giants win. Haven't watched any this year what channel does it get shown on in the UK now?