Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Boys of Summer return - Baseball is here again

Comments

• Options
    Yankees beat Angels 10-1 last night. The Angels can't handle the pitching either, especially Sabathia, who again pitched 8 innings giving up just 1 run on 5 hits.
    A-Rod is on fire. Think his home run last night was his 5th of this years post-season. They play again on Thursday in Anaheim, when the yanks could clinch the series and a world series spot, if not back to NY for game 6 on Saturday and a possible game 7 on Sunday.

Are these games shown in UK?
  • Options
    Yes, shown on ESPN both live and then re-run the next evening.

Good news as the time difference makes it hard to watch them live.

Thankfully ESPN is now free to people with cable TV via Virgin.
  • Options
    Baseball season ended when the Red Sox season ended.
  • Options
    Since I lived in Athens its Braves all the way.
    atlanta_braves.jpg
  • Options
    Phillies beat Dodgers last night to win NL championship series 4-1 and secure world series place. Angels v Yankees tonight in the AL Championship series. Yankees leading 3-1.
  • Options
    Yeeessss - good old Phillies, now I will have a team to cheer in the WS final.
  • Options
    Great game last night.

Angels went 4 - 0 up, brought a relief picture only for the Yankees to score 6.

Angels then came back and won it 7 - 6

now 3 - 2 to the Yankees with two games to go, both in New York
  • Options
    It was a good game. Still feeling the effects of sitting up and watching it. I thought it was all over with the Angels 4-0 up after 6 innings and the Yankees struggling to hit. The Yankees blew it with another poorly timed pitching change (same as game 3). Think the yankees will finish it off tomorrow with Andy Pettit as their starting pitcher. Angels don't deserve it after intentionally walking A-Rod for 2 of his 3 at bats.
  • Options
    Yankees won the ALCS last night 4 games to 2.

Yankees v Phillies in the World Series, two of the oldest clubs in the game.

Should be a good match up.
  • Options
    Come on you Phillies
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Come on you Phillies. Knock their teeth out.
  • Options
    Another close game, with the Angels not helping themselves by making more commical fielding errors. With Saturday's game 6 delayed a day due to rain it was a vital win for the Yankees as a defeat last night would have forced a game 7 for which they would have had to use their #1 starting pitcher (C C Sabathia) who would then not have been available to pitch game 1 of the world series.

1st game of WS in New York on Wednesday. I'll be glad of a few nights of getting to bed before 1am. Should be a good series.
  • Options
    Phillies won the first game, in New York, 6 - 1 with two home runs from Chase Utley and 10 strike outs from Cliff Lee.

Big game for the Yankees next as if they lose that they will be 2 down with three games to come in Philly.
  • Options
    Come on you Philies :)

Cubs are my first team (my aunt is a fan and hails from the Cubs home state of Illinios), but the phillies are my second team as a)my best mate lives in philly and is a fan, and b)my biggest client are based in philly and when I was over there in may gave me a phillies shirt and made me an honorary philadelphian
  • Options
    Come on the Phills!...my mates are going mental in Philadelphia at the moment. Back to back World Series wins would prove there really was a curse on the city, and now its been lifted! :-)
  • Options
    Cliff Lee's pitching was incredible, Yankees looked clueless. He pitched the whole game giving up 1 run on 6 hits. Big win for Phillies in New York. Yankees must be worried as their usually solid ball pen (relief pitchers) are not performing well. Tonight should be a cracker with former Red Sox Starter Pedro Martinez due to start for the Phillies. Pedro, an all time great now in his twilight years, will no doubt be looking to stick it to the Yanks one last time. He will get a pretty hostile reaction from the home fans!
  • Options
    Not for world series tickets
  • Options
    Yankees win 3-1 to level series 1-1. Another close game with Yankee starter AJ Burnett in great form just edging Martinez. A real masterclass from both pitchers. Next game in best of 7 series in Philly on Saturday.
    My eldest son just returned tonight from school football tour to Florida. He bought me a yankees cap, which he now says is the lucky yankees cap. Looks like I'll be forced to wear it for next week (not in public obviously)...........
  • Options
    Last night's was a massive game for NYY. One or two dubious umpiring calls, but it captured for me the true essence of sport ... delivering when you have to. There are many great players in various sports worldwide, but the true stars, to my mind at least, are those who can perform to the best of their ability when it matters. NYY did that as a team last night to set up a series that may prove to be a classic.

If you haven't got into this sport yet, you're missing something. Game 3 on Saturday around midnight UK time. Bring it on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would agree Dave, especially the pitchers. One of the loneliest rolls in a team sport when things aren't going well. A real pressure position, which is what made last nights game such great viewing. Despite his previous employment, I admire Pedro Martinez and had to laugh as he left the game in the 7th innings with a big grin on his face, as the home fans jeered. Still have concerns about the Yankees, as A-Rod has reverted to previous years postseason form and the ball pen is looking fragile. Last nights win was down to AJ Burnett getting through 7 innings and allowing Mariano Rivera (possibly the calmest man in world sport) to pitch the last 2, thus bypassing the rest of the relief pitchers. Game 3 will see Andy Pettit start, not sure about game 4, then back to top of rotation with CC for game 5.
  • Options
    You're right about A-Rod, although he did seem to start this post-season well.

I'm happy to stick my neck out and predict that he will come through at some stage in the remaining games. The Yankees have a few more individuals who will rise to the occasion, although the Phillies certainly have their big-match characters. Utley and Lee have already done so, and Howard will pick his moment too.

On balance, this feels like a series which will go all the way ... and is likely to depend on small things ... errors, umpiring decisions, lucky breaks.

I'll go 4-3 to NYY, but will enjoy the 'theatre' as much as any final result.
  • Options
    Wow! Just found this thread. I never realised there was such an apetite for baseball. I can stand 10 minutes at most and then get frustrated that they never seem to hit the thing. A bit like I expect every professional footballer being able to deliver a perfect deadball, I expect baseball players to smack everything out of the ground. Hmmm gonna go and see what I make of other acronym sports....
  • Options
    NM, would have probably said the same thing myself about baseball 8 years ago. I have heard similar comments from North American friends talking about cricket! But my two boys play now and I help out coaching, have also played (badly) in local softball league, so have learned some of the finer points of the game. Also seen the Yankees play, which kind a sealed the deal. Like football it was the working mans sport and has such a rich history with some very colourful charactors. As you can guess I'm totally hooked now. Living in Bermuda helps as East Coast games are only an hour behind so watching on TV is a lot easier. Check out some of the world series games.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]You're right about A-Rod, although he did seem to start this post-season well.

I'm happy to stick my neck out and predict that he will come through at some stage in the remaining games. The Yankees have a few more individuals who will rise to the occasion, although the Phillies certainly have their big-match characters. Utley and Lee have already done so, and Howard will pick his moment too.

On balance, this feels like a series which will go all the way ... and is likely to depend on small things ... errors, umpiring decisions, lucky breaks.

I'll go 4-3 to NYY, but will enjoy the 'theatre' as much as any final result.

An A-Rod homer awarded after a video replay helped the Yankees take a 2-1 series lead last night.

Wish I'd put a pound or two on it.
  • Options
    Another great game and huge win for the Yanks. 8-5 win from 0-3 down. A-Rod's homer hit a TV camera lens which was situated just over the wall and bounced back into play! All came together for the series underperformers with A-Rod & Nick Swisher HRs and the ball pen finally coming through with Joba & Marte pitching a perfect innings each, leaving Mariano Rivera just the last 2 outs. Andy Pettit was awesome, showing typical composure after conceding 3 runs in 2nd innings, then followed up with a great hitting display. You know its your day when your pitcher hits an RBI and then scores himself! CC Sabathia pitches tonight on short rest.
  • Options
    3 - 1 to the Yankees.

Does Lee pitch for the Phillies tonight?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]3 - 1 to the Yankees.

Does Lee pitch for the Phillies tonight?

Yes, Henry. Lee versus A J Burnett.

The US gets the extra hour too now, so the time difference is back to five hours. 00.57 am start UK time.

I won't be there.
  • Options
    Did you guys see last nights game? I missed it ,but saw the 9th innings hilights this morning. If you didn't see it, check out the yankees web site, Jonny Damon stealing 2nd & 3rd on a single play. Pure class. Felt very sorry for their pitcher who was a single strike away from getting out of the innings before giving up 3 runs. It all starts at 2 out!

Can't miss tonights game. Good match up, with both guys outstanding in their last outing.
  • Options
    Back to 3-2, come on the Phillies!